Abusing Butterfly AI

So I found a good way to kill the butterflies: weather pain!  No naughtiness, kills them all, all you have to do is refine the rocks from the containment room back into walls and stand them back up.  Oh, and pick up 514 butterfly wings and 9 butter.  That takes a while.  Server stops lagging the instant they die, though, so it's not like you need to pick up the mess to make the lag go away.

7 minutes ago, hyiltiz said:

SW doesn't have bunnies. I am trying hard to come up with a SW-compatible (single-player of course) strategy.

I'm not too familiar with the mob types that DLC provides.

Bunnies are only used for the infinite butterfly trap to continually get more, and you don't need one for the single trap of 4 butterflies.

However if you want to look around the prefab files for the mob types you can use, the mob needs to be able to fit in four walls and has the "scarytoprey" tag.

Ideally it would also not move during the day since moving into a wall causes the mob to stick into the wall ever so slightly allowing for the butterflies to wander off the desired path.

33 minutes ago, CarlZalph said:

I'm not too familiar with the mob types that DLC provides.

Bunnies are only used for the infinite butterfly trap to continually get more, and you don't need one for the single trap of 4 butterflies.

However if you want to look around the prefab files for the mob types you can use, the mob needs to be able to fit in four walls and has the "scarytoprey" tag.

Ideally it would also not move during the day since moving into a wall causes the mob to stick into the wall ever so slightly allowing for the butterflies to wander off the desired path.

This is a minimal yet very efficient wing/butter farm:

1. Pluck all the flowers in a large 16 turf region;

2. Pen your wildbore (sleep, freeze);

3. put a flower as close as you can to the pen;

4. Place magma/ash turf keeping at least 7 walls distance from the flower;

5. Elephant cactus and fertilize it with ash;

6. stay within 1.5 to 6.25 turf distance away from your flower;

Now, this will keep killing butterflies, and never stops. You will harvest a butter everyday!

As precautions, renew your walls regularly since the hail in SW might break your wall and let the pig escape. Also, a random lightning might burn your only flower, so upgrade your farm with a lightning rod.

Screen Shot 2016-06-30 at 00.52.57.png

Edit 1:

Haven't tested yet, but arguably you can switch the elephant cactus with a penned cactus in RoG or DST, and get the same result.

15 hours ago, hyiltiz said:

This is a minimal yet very efficient wing/butter farm:

1. Pluck all the flowers in a large 16 turf region;

2. Pen your wildbore (sleep, freeze);

3. put a flower as close as you can to the pen;

4. Place magma/ash turf keeping at least 7 walls distance from the flower;

5. Elephant cactus and fertilize it with ash;

6. stay within 1.5 to 6.25 turf distance away from your flower;

Now, this will keep killing butterflies, and never stops. You will harvest a butter everyday!

As precautions, renew your walls regularly since the hail in SW might break your wall and let the pig escape. Also, a random lightning might burn your only flower, so upgrade your farm with a lightning rod.

Screen Shot 2016-06-30 at 00.52.57.png

Edit 1:

Haven't tested yet, but arguably you can switch the elephant cactus with a penned cactus in RoG or DST, and get the same result.

Now, this is how you can do it without elephant cactus. In vanilla DS, there are no catcoons, but DS/DST RoG will do (mostly the same as in DS SW with elephant cactus as shown above, but using catcoons):

1. Locate birchnut biome where caccoons live;

1. Pluck all the flowers in a large 16 turf region around a caccoon den;

2. Pen your pigman (sleep, freeze, or lure with food);

3. put a flower as close as you can to the pen (I selected my flower of choice -- rose! -- then made the pen as close to it)

4. pen your catcoon keeping at least 7 walls distance from the flower (sleep, freeze, or lure with toys)

5. stay within 1.5 to 6.25 turf distance away from your flower;

p.s. I got a butter right after I finished building this. Nice gift, Charlie!

Screen Shot 2016-06-30 at 16.13.48.png

51 minutes ago, TemporaryMan said:

Any suggestion what to do if the catcoon sleeps on the job?

Also, I would strongly advise freezing; catcoons are light sleepers.

Wouldn't let the poor thing have a short rest, would we? Catcoons don't sleep for long. I guess we can give it a rest.

Archived