Fidooop

Unnatural Selection General Discussion

Fidooop    2,409
11 minutes ago, Dudedude said:

I've joined the mod development team and I'm going to start off my legacy by posting these two character designs I've been working on. 

Added them to the main post! :)

• Like 3

Arlesienne    8,977
On 1.06.2016 at 3:39 AM, Fidooop said:

there's also quoting, naming, descriptions, balancing, playtesting, and idea making! O__O

For all your writing needs, as well as testing, yours truly works in letters and has been taught the darkest magicks of coding the quotes (EVEN QUOTATION MARKS, WOOPIEE!) by no other than Master @Joachim himself, so if you need help, let me know. I can present you my portfolio in both English and Polish (not sure if you care for translations involving Spanish) as well as write samples of your prefab of choice if that helpd.

On 2.06.2016 at 8:40 PM, ImDaMisterL said:

Some quotes I whipped up, because why not? I'll probably make more eventually.

Hide contents

Wilson: "These are new."
Willow: "It's a spider bot! Burn it!"
Wolfgang: "Is very puny robot, makes Wolfgang laugh. Hah hah!"
Wendy: "They would give their lives away to protect their commanders."
WX-78: "SOLDIER AUTOMATON"
Wickerbottom: "A clockwork spider."
Woodie: "Aren't pawns only supposed to attack diagonally?"
Maxwell: "It can be quite annoying when on a group."
Wigfrid: "Not that big of a challenge."
Webber: "I don't think it wants to be friends."
Walani: "One for all and all for one."
Warly: "It doesn't appear to be a very resistant machine."
Woodlegs: "Don't ye think yer a wee too small fer fightin'?"

Woodlegs is quite good, methinks :)!

On 2.06.2016 at 11:16 PM, Fidooop said:

I love the quotes but wouldn't Wicker say "An arachnid clockwork"?

I'd go for arachnomorphic automatons/constructs plus a literary shoutout.

On 4.06.2016 at 1:24 AM, Reagle said:

I REALLY WANT TO HELP WITH QUOTING! :D I would absolutely LOVE to work with coming up with new ideas and character perks as well. I need something to focus on this summer, and Quoting would be an awesome thing I could obsess over. 

And the ancient Giant- maybe a clockworks/thucelite hammer god that looks simutaniously dapper (This way, he may be named Hammer of the Pain-Gents, almost as if Maxwell altered him early on) and has small minions like the pawns- I really really like the idea of clockwork pawns, but what if they looked less like spiders so webber players wouldn't get confused and sorta had a bounce-looking animation (think of the haunted dummy from undertale)? idk I just love the clockwork pieces. sorry they look like butt plugs atm

WIN_20160603_19_34_41_Pro.jpg

Maybe be able to upgrade structures to make them safer? Only needs 75% of materials to craft things? 

This whole idea makes me very very excited. Once again, I would love to do quotes at the very least.

Neat.

On 4.06.2016 at 9:58 PM, AnonymousKoala said:

^^^^Same stands for me. 

As above ;).

On 5.06.2016 at 8:52 PM, ImDaMisterL said:

Nice to see more people interested in the quote business. Writing quotes is way more fun than it seems or looks.

And when you get to reference some song/book/movie or spill some character/mod-related lore and you see someone caught it, it gives you a good, warm feeling inside :)

From my experience, 10% of what a writer inserts into their work is also what an average reader actually gets. Then, about 20% is got by your testers (since you obsess with them). The rest... well, sorry. Only in your imagination.

It doesn't mean it's worthless. Quite the contrary. So yes, you're right. How would you have intertextuality in @Fidooop's mod's quotes?

On 5.06.2016 at 8:53 PM, Michi01 said:

I'd love to help with quotes as well! (and everything else that doesn't involve modding and art skills)

Arlesienne Greatly Approves.

On 25.06.2016 at 7:09 PM, PoofQuiz said:

Okay, just wanna share my terrible art

Unfortunately, I can't say anything about my vision of his character (simply too stupid for this)

WP_20160625_18_47_35_Pro.jpg

Wow, hats off. That's quality art.

On 4.07.2016 at 7:19 PM, ImDaMisterL said:
  Hide contents

Wilson = "Not a creautre that likes to be messed with."
Willow = "Can I burn its shell?"
Wolfgang = "Look strong, but not stronger than Wolfgang!"
Wendy = "It hides like a coward. I wish I could do the same."
WX-78 = "ALL COVERINGS THAT ARE NOT MADE OF METAL ARE USELESS"
Wickerbottom = "Testudinidae hippopotamus. What a beautiful creature."
Woodie = "Who're you hiding from, eh?"
Maxwell = "It prefers to be left alone."
Wigfrid = "You shall fall, armored creature!"
Webber = "Would you like to be our friend?"
Walani = "Cool shell, man!"
Warly = "Hmm, it's been some time since I haven't had any turtle soup."
Woodlegs = "Is thet a land or a sea lubber?"

Yo, more quotes yo, because, why not, bro?

The Testudinidae are a family. But including Latin taxonomy is good when writing Wicker.

On 4.07.2016 at 8:52 PM, mathem99 said:

No Wes quote?!?!?!?!?

Hint: you don't write Wes's quotes at all. And you use GENERIC to give Wilson and all unsupported characters the same line.

On 4.07.2016 at 9:15 PM, ImDaMisterL said:

Wes = "I can't do that."

That hurt :D.

On 5.07.2016 at 2:18 AM, ImDaMisterL said:
  Hide contents

Wilson = "Science tells me to open it up!"
Willow = "You go away, and take your pesky rain with you!"
Wolfgang = "Is little puppy full of energy!"
Wendy = "The power of the heavens runs inside it."
WX-78 = "IT LIVES TO ELECTRIFY"
Wickerbottom = "That hound defies the laws of reality."
Woodie = "Thunder hounds? Sounds like the name of a hockey team, eh?"
Maxwell = "I hope she doesn't waste all of my gems..."
Wigfrid = "Thunder of Thor!"
Webber = "He twitches and some sparks fly out of it."
Walani = "What a shocker!"
Warly = "An energetic chien."
Woodlegs = "Its roar be jus' like a thunder!"

Reveal hidden contents

Wilson = "That one doesn't seem right..."
Willow = "That one's actually pretty scary..."
Wolfgang = "Is scary puppy."
Wendy = "Its barks sounds like hollow laughter."
WX-78 = "ERROR: ERROR ERROR ERROR"
Wickerbottom = "I don't believe in that hound. It doesn't exist."
Woodie = "Even the shadows have pets, eh?"
Maxwell = "Not you..."
Wigfrid = "Pawn of Hel!"
Webber = "He scares us..."
Walani = "It looks like it came from my worst nightmares!"
Warly = "Chien diable..."
Woodlegs = "Don't ye get any closer, hellhound!"

Reveal hidden contents

Wilson = "Now I see you, now I don't."
Willow = "The way it zaps around is giving me a headache..."
Wolfgang = "Bork bork woof!"
Wendy = "It's killing itself, over and over and over again."
WX-78 = "IT LIVES TO TRICK"
Wickerbottom = "A beastly trickster."
Woodie = "C'mere, you!"
Maxwell = "A trickster? I used to be one myself. Let's battle!"
Wigfrid = "One of Loki's pets!"
Webber = "Hey, can you teach us how to do that?"
Walani = "Stay still for a minute!"
Warly = "Could you teleport over to my crock pot?"
Woodlegs = "Could it lead me tah treasure?"

Reveal hidden contents

Wilson = "Leave my science machine alone, hound dog!"
Willow = "Ugh, they're so annoying!"
Wolfgang = "Bark bark! Arf!"
Wendy = "The hounds of the destroyer of worlds."
WX-78 = "IT LIVES TO BE AN ANNOYANCE"
Wickerbottom = "This hound is smarter than the others."
Woodie = "You better not destroy any trees!"
Maxwell = " Hey, the special gem hounds were MY idea!"
Wigfrid = "The destruction of Ragnarok!"
Webber = "That puppy doesn't look like he wants to eat us."
Walani = "Don't you want to eat me?"
Warly = "Don't you dare go near my crock pot!"
Woodlegs = "Ye better not get near me ship, ye hear me?"

More quotes because I'm on a roll! Constructive criticism is always welcome, pls n thx.

I would love "She's electric" and something involving Mary Shelley.

On 6.08.2016 at 2:29 AM, Fidooop said:

Development underway ;)

Hide contents

Currently using placeholders for art but those there are the Yellow Hounds! They leave electric trails that shock you if you step on them... Oh wait... Did I forget to mention that they also run around you in circles? Yup! They do that! :D

yellow hounds.png

yellow hounds2.png

yellow hounds3.png

Oh goodness, this is mighty.

On 7.08.2016 at 1:48 PM, T4T3RGR3NAD3R said:

Wait so will there be evil butter?

Some people would say all butter is evil.

I am not one of those people.

On 7.08.2016 at 2:02 PM, Asparagus said:

Margarine... accompanied by Paula Dean's wrath...

Ah, too late to the party...

On 17.08.2016 at 9:39 PM, spiderdian said:

Well, First I drew the Clockwork Pawn

I Though of him like a swarm turret, or those minions in Moba that try to get to your base.  I imagined them having some kind of spin attack, similar to moslings, hence the drill feet, also a good use for the "arm" wires. 

I made a damaged version too(left, obviously). This one lost the front mask and top gear, leaving a mechanical eye exposed. Some loose body plates and damaged drill.

Hide contents

Clockwork Pawn.png

Then I made the Lord Worm

Not very original in my opinion, I simply drew a colossal Depth worm with TWO glow berries(you know, because two means better). I forgot about the tentacle tail, unfortunately. But it could  have either some of it's segments or the tail exposed as multiple targets, maybe both.

There'ss also a lil wilson, just for the sake of scaling. But maybe it's still a "bit" too big.

Hide contents

Lord Worm.png

The next was the Prickly Pestilence

I'm really sorry, but when I hear Prickly, I just can't think of something fast. I though of a Shadow Plant that uncommonly spawns in your vicinity when you're insane, so when you aggro it, it will start shooting Shadow spikes at you(maybe at the same speed of Bishop's bolt, so you can dodge it in outruns). If you get away from his range, it digs into the ground(similar to moleworms) and find a better place to hit you.

Basically, a ranged, shadowy, Poison Birchnut.

I drew the first one(right), but it simply looked too cute in Terrorbreak standards, so I drank a gallon of nightmare fuel and drew the second one(left). I was going to draw arms for the later, but it looked way more menacing without them, probably aggro animation

Hide contents

Prickly Pestilence Normal.pngPrickly Pestilence Aggro.png                               

There's also the Loatsome Leaper

I have nothing to add about it, It's basically a grasshopper-esque Spider Warrior with a nightmare style

Hide contents

Loatsome Leaper.png

These othes are just Ideas I had for the Nightmare stuff, pretty basic

There's a Nightmare Axe, Pickaxe, Wall, Crown and Brick(not of my best drawings)

Hide contents

Nightmare Stuff.png

Sorry for the long post, after I got carried away I couldn't stop doodling these things

Also, I drew all these on paper, this is why some of the details might be a bit messed up and it's all black n white, cuz I just can't deal with colors

Fantastic art, honest.

On 17.08.2016 at 9:52 PM, Chris1488 said:

They all look awesome!

I just imagined them reusing the old pawn concept from Klei.

Hide contents

concept mobs.jpg

Yours is still pretty cool though.

Aww, some of those mobs didn't make it.

Or are they being saved for A New Reign?

On 20.08.2016 at 0:34 AM, spiderdian said:

Ok, I took some time to think about the characters

Wyatt himself seemed a bit too op, like....he had 9 perks over 1 disadvantage, that I wouldn't even consider one, since it's his sanity.

And he's totally not based in Bear Grills

Wimbledon was easier, since he was way more balanced, though I'm not sure what you mean by losing the locket. By losing, you mean it getting destroyed by a lureplant or a krampus? if so, one might die to a Terrorbreak before being able to craft another locket :p

Wyatt:

The Forgetful Survivor

A once successful survivor suffered serious damage after a accident, now is unable to remember things correctly

• Health: 140
  • Hunger: 135
  • Sanity: 130

Pros

•  hunger drains very slightly slower than normal
  • can eat stale food (but not spoiled food)
  • not as scared of the dark as others
  • can make cheap patches that will act as 1-use sewing kits
  • can make a Alchemy and Magic book that act as a portable Alchemy machine and Shadow Manipulator

Cons

• Cannot remember Tier 2 Science and Magic recipes
  • Damage multiplier is x0.7

Removed/Unsure

• starts with 20% hunger(I don't think starting stats are tweakable, I might be wrong)
  • water doesn't affect his sanity as harshly as others(Dunno, maybe too much of a filler perk. Although he's and survivor, that would make sense, what do you think?)
  • walks faster(Trust me, speed changes are the worst kind of custom)
  • more resilient to winter less resilient to summer
  • can make a 4 slot bindle (acts as a backpack that equips to the handslot)(I'm really not sure about this one, like...one of the fastest that you can make in DST is a backpack, also, if night comes, would you need to drop the bindle on ground[supposing it acts like a backpack] to be able to make a torch or even need to set down a campfire?)

Hide contents

Wyatt.png

Wimbledon:

The Future Teller 

A 40-ish years old future teller believes that his golden locket is the key for his amazing predictions, and becomes "insanely" uncomfortable without it

• Health: 130
  • Hunger: 150
  • Sanity: 170

Pros

• isn't scared much by night or monsters (because he's oblivious)
  • has a special locket that he keeps with him
  • equipping the locket makes Wimbledon stronger and faster, however upon

Cons

• if he drops his locket he will instantly go insane (as if he were to equip a purple amulet)
  • unequipping the locket makes Wimbledon lose a bit of sanity(like...15 each time?, considering it improves speed and damage, there must be a counterweight)

Removed

losing the locket also causes him to continuously lose health until he finds it again(You're already insane when you don't have it with you, why start to die? Also, it's a locket, is it like his heart, or he starts damaging himself due to depression, lol)

Hide contents

Wimbledon.png

Bear Grylls? Oh my. And is the last one Dorian Pavus twenty years later?

9 hours ago, Dudedude said:

Hey everybody!

I'd just like to inform you all that I've joined the mod development team and I'm going to start off my legacy by posting these two character designs I've been working on. I'm aways open for critiques, questions, and concerns, so feel free to leave some feedback!

photo_1471890399858.jpg

photo_1471924418458.jpg

Cheers!

Gorgeous art.

TL;DR: I am not subscribed and dutifully stalking this thread as well as up for grabs if you need testing, topmost, any writing-related skills (coding the strings included).

• Like 4

Arlesienne    8,977
1 hour ago, Joachim said:

OMG! The cat mob! I didn't know there was a design for that. SO AWESOME. PLEASE MAKE THIS A THING.

Exactly my thinking! And the concept art sheet has "pig skins" written on the right side. Given that merms are there, it appears they may share AI.

2 hours ago, Joachim said:

I can vouch for @Arlesienne. Her quotes are professional and blend in with the original content very well.

Aww... No, seriously: AWW. You're way too generous. I try my best, but I know Willow, Wicker and WX work best as I feel them best.

• Like 2

Chris1488    11,782
24 minutes ago, Arlesienne said:

Aww... No, seriously: AWW. You're way too generous. I try my best, but I know Willow, Wicker and WX work best as I feel them best.

What mods have you written strings for? Just to get a taste of your quotes.

• Like 3

ImDaMisterL    18,815
3 hours ago, Arlesienne said:

For all your writing needs, as well as testing, yours truly works in letters and has been taught the darkest magicks of coding the quotes

That's amazing!

Woodlegs is quite good, methinks :)!

Thank ye, ye landlubber :D

I'd go for arachnomorphic automatons/constructs plus a literary shoutout.

Very Wickerbottom-y indeed, eh?

It doesn't mean it's worthless. Quite the contrary. So yes, you're right. How would you have intertextuality in @Fidooop's mod's quotes?

Well, that depends, I guess. When I find an opportunity to reference literary, cinematic and/or gaming arts, I do it :p

The Testudinidae are a family. But including Latin taxonomy is good when writing Wicker.

I know the latter, thus why I try to do it. Should've went a bit deeper though, since I didn't see it was a family and not a genus :p

That hurt :D.

I was replying to Mathem's joke with a reference from the old times of Don't Starve, where it was possible to make Wes say "I can't do that." when trying to perform an action he, believe it or not, can't do.

And yes, like @Chris1488, could you give us some examples of your quotes? I'd love to read them :)

• Like 3

Arlesienne    8,977
2 hours ago, Chris1488 said:

What mods have you written strings for? Just to get a taste of your quotes.

AND

1 hour ago, ImDaMisterL said:

That's amazing!

Thank ye, ye landlubber :D

Very Wickerbottom-y indeed, eh?

Well, that depends, I guess. When I find an opportunity to reference literary, cinematic and/or gaming arts, I do it :p

I know the latter, thus why I try to do it. Should've went a bit deeper though, since I didn't see it was a family and not a genus :p

I was replying to Mathem's joke with a reference from the old times of Don't Starve, where it was possible to make Wes say "I can't do that." when trying to perform an action he, believe it or not, can't do.

And yes, like @Chris1488, could you give us some examples of your quotes? I'd love to read them :)

You are too kind. I write for Multi-Worlds DST that Joachim and Snook are the founding fathers (parents :D?). It can be found here and I can't express what pleasure working with its authors is.

• Like 1

Chris1488    11,782
8 minutes ago, Arlesienne said:

You are too kind. I write for Multi-Worlds DST that Joachim and Snook are the founding fathers (parents :D?). It can be found here and I can't express what pleasure working with its authors is.

Unnatural Selection/Multi-Worlds DST compatibility confirmed?

I'll play around with the mod and Unnatural Selection to check out the quotes and how well it runs with US.

• Like 3

Arlesienne    8,977
8 minutes ago, Chris1488 said:

Unnatural Selection/Multi-Worlds DST compatibility confirmed?

I'll play around with the mod and Unnatural Selection to check out the quotes and how well it runs with US.

Just watch out for the beta branch. It has some issues with worldgen mods at the moment (even as small as Winnie). If you can, see the live branch first. You open a new world, enable the mod, then can either leave it at that (some randomness of what you get, you can always sopawn things in) or return to the overworld options and choose any of the new presets. Hope it helps!

Chris1488    11,782
21 minutes ago, Arlesienne said:

Just watch out for the beta branch. It has some issues with worldgen mods at the moment (even as small as Winnie). If you can, see the live branch first. You open a new world, enable the mod, then can either leave it at that (some randomness of what you get, you can always sopawn things in) or return to the overworld options and choose any of the new presets. Hope it helps!

Well thankfully, alpha US doesn't have any worldgen stuff yet (I really don't know if I should be talking about this)

And by beta branch I assume you mean A New Reign?

(also I sent you a Steam friend request so we don't clutter up this thread with chit chat)

Edited by Chris1488
  • Like 3

Arlesienne    8,977
38 minutes ago, Chris1488 said:

Well thankfully, alpha US doesn't have any worldgen stuff yet (I really don't know if I should be talking about this)

And by beta branch I assume you mean A New Reign?

(also I sent you a Steam friend request so we don't clutter up this thread with chit chat)

Yes, A New Reign. And sure, I accepted the request!

Scoobie101    573
On 8/22/2016 at 11:55 PM, Dudedude said:

Hey everybody!

I'd just like to inform you all that I've joined the mod development team and I'm going to start off my legacy by posting these two character designs I've been working on. I'm aways open for critiques, questions, and concerns, so feel free to leave some feedback!

photo_1471890399858.jpg

There seems to be a severe lack of the aforementioned sweet goggles here. *ahem* What I mean to say is, that art is amazing! :3

• Like 3

Lumina    1,957
1 hour ago, spiderdian said:

White and Black Gem

Wow, your item look greats. Amazing work. But, i wonder if the white gem isn't a little too close of the yellow gem ?

Arlesienne    8,977
16 minutes ago, Lumina said:

Wow, your item look greats. Amazing work. But, i wonder if the white gem isn't a little too close of the yellow gem ?

13 minutes ago, spiderdian said:

latest?cb=20130626123307latest?cb=20140327080757

13 minutes ago, Lumina said:

I see your point :D

The gems are flipped and c9loured differently. Having a white one with this design would be totally legit..

And...

LUCY IN THE SKY WITH DIAMONDS!

• Like 2

Lumina    1,957
7 minutes ago, Arlesienne said:

The gems are flipped and c9loured differently. Having a white one with this design would be totally legit..

Yes, sorry if i wasn't clear, it was just a little question, and his answer is perfectly fine :)