Klei, have you abandoned Don't Starve?

4 minutes ago, TheHalcyonOne said:

I've done it several times. I actually had two domesticated at once, even. You might need to do some research because it's really very easy to do. I'm not sure what your definition of viable is, honestly, but other than the aforementioned problem with shards I'm very, very happy with my beefa-tank and was just as happy with my race-alo until a trip to the caves undomesticated him.

Did they have names? =D

3 minutes ago, TheKingofSquirrels said:

I've never done it because I've just never seen the point. Most servers reset and if I don't, then when I log off I'm leaving a Beefalo with a saddle all alone that anyone can just take.

Yet again, another reason why this mechanic is more suitable for Singleplayer than Multiplayer.

Well that and beefalo are so easy to kill so another player could easily get it while you're offline.

2 minutes ago, TheHalcyonOne said:

I've done it several times. I actually had two domesticated at once, even. You might need to do some research because it's really very easy to do. I'm not sure what your definition of viable is, honestly, but other than the aforementioned problem with shards I'm very, very happy with my beefa-tank and was just as happy with my race-alo until a trip to the caves undomesticated him.

Yeah keep in mind I've been going pretty roughly by the basics of what I've heard, it may be easy to do but it takes a hell of a long time, which is the reason I've never been able to domesticate one, even with cheats (though you can chalk that up to my impatience and general boredom trying to figure it out), I'd rather just get a walking cane for movement, equip armor and a lantern if I need to go do midnight movement or whatever. 

Maybe I'm grossly misunderstanding how the taming system actually works, but none of it really seems very clear nor easy to understand how to fully tame a beefalo. But it makes them look super cute when I feed them grass so I don't mind too much really. 

1 hour ago, TheKingofSquirrels said:

Making a server and having a couple of friends play together, yeah that's awesome, but you didn't need to make a whole new game for that!

Except they did. The entire reason it became a separate game was because it had to be. Why would they have done so otherwise?

7 minutes ago, TheKingofSquirrels said:

Yet again, another reason why this mechanic is more suitable for Singleplayer than Multiplayer.

If you want beefalo riding in singleplayer I'm 100% behind that, but it's not any less suitable for multiplayer than it is for single player. And note: even if it was ported over right now, as it is you'd still lose your beefalo domestication to a long cave run because as soon as you come topside it'll be updated like everything else is in single player.

7 minutes ago, TheKingofSquirrels said:

Did they have names? =D

Alas, no. Naming them is something I'd like to see added to the mechanic but at least for the moment I think there are mods that do it. And hopefully they'll just do it anyway because the lack of names makes it hard to figure out whose is whose if you've got a group base going and a lot of people have them.

11 minutes ago, TheKingofSquirrels said:

Personally, I have two main issues:

A) The permadeath element and difficulty of the game is completely lost in DST. With the Rollback feature, any mistake you make can be easily fixed by going a day back. One of the reason I love (possibly now loved) this game, is the tension and fear of possibly loosing everything you spent hours working on. That's  gone with DST and it really makes everything feel pointless. You will never have something like this in DST (not my video):

B) Small things that are just built for multiplayer, like the fact that there's like 10 Moosegoose nests all over the map or the lack of set singleplayer set pieces

This also bothers me to no end. 

What do you mean by the difficulty comment?  Mario brought up increased monster HP and lower player damage, and you brought up 'multiplayer setpieces only', which seem like they would generally create a more difficult game.

Isn't the permadeath comment just "Doctor, it hurts when I do this."  "Don't do that!"  ?

I mean just because you can rollback (or edit LUAs, or install easymode mods, or play Endless) doesn't mean you have to.  The intent of the game is clearly that you only get a very tightly constrained set of safety nets, so if I played DST solo I'd play with that in mind and only use the safety nets I'd have had in singleplayer (ie I wouldn't use any touch stone I hadn't already explored myself.)

But u all forgot one Fact they are Humans not Machines. I dont know how Big Klei entertainment is but im pretty sure they have only some people to do stuff on DS and DST (at the same time). Why it must be directly throw in the Devil when something need a bit longer ? I mean what u pref probably having some half hearted devolped stuff and halfend thinked Features/Content  and bugfixes every Week for Both Games ? Or u more preshate when we have some work on 1 Game getting a Decent Package of stuff for one then getting a Good Package for the other.

I assume they read and notice nearly all stuff and Feedback + bugreports going in here and try the best to calculate how good it would be going and figure out whats the best to implent it asap. For my Opinion.

@TO
when u being sad about the fact they did DST as a seperate game wouldnt u more dissapointed when both games exactly have the same things just that DST has Multiplayer ? That would be a betray, for my opinion it is Okay when u splitting a game in a new one reason doesnt matter right now at all can be widerange. But i better pref a Red appel cloned with a more juicy taste as a appel with 10 % more size.

For the end note : take ur time and be patient from what i see the Klei entertainment people arnt bad guys and my opinion is they try their best everyday lets wait what Future brings before setting rumor topics about something thats never confirmed.

Greetings

49 minutes ago, TheHalcyonOne said:

Pudgy's kind of useless but I'm pretty sure it's a booby prize.

I thought they had a sanity aura?

yeah, here it is.

PUDGY =
    {
        build = "beefalo_personality_pudgy",
        customactivatefn = function(inst)
            inst:AddComponent("sanityaura")
            inst.components.sanityaura.aura = TUNING.SANITYAURA_TINY
        end,
        customdeactivatefn = function(inst)
            inst:RemoveComponent("sanityaura")
        end,
    },

They should buff it to be a higher value though. Like, around Tam-O-Shanter level. I mean, that's a ridiculous amount of food you need, and for what? Garland-level regeneration?

I'm getting flashbacks from another topic ... Well I will say what I said there ... DST has only a few content to make it unique , until now all the work done on it was getting all DS content into DST . So please give DST time to get it's proper unique and multiplayer special content then ask for some of those that can be dealt with singleplayer ... It's hypocritical for me to say this because I can't wait for more DST content but ... just wait . Buffalo riding , changing resources , ewecus are part from TtA that isn't even finished ... Skins are to show off to friends/have your Wilson be different than your friend Wilson , so I really don't see a point in getting them in singleplayer .

Anyway my point in this is wait for TtA to be fully released and finished before asking content from it for DS . (thou TtA is supposed to be multiplayer special)

22 minutes ago, engiSonic said:

They should buff it to be a higher value though. Like, around Tam-O-Shanter level. I mean, that's a ridiculous amount of food you need, and for what? Garland-level regeneration?

It is around Tam o'Shanter level. Tam o'Shanter is +6.67/min and pudgy is 6.25/min, assuming you're right next to it or riding it.

1 hour ago, TheHalcyonOne said:

Except they did. The entire reason it became a separate game was because it had to be. Why would they have done so otherwise?

If you want beefalo riding in singleplayer I'm 100% behind that, but it's not any less suitable for multiplayer than it is for single player. And note: even if it was ported over right now, as it is you'd still lose your beefalo domestication to a long cave run because as soon as you come topside it'll be updated like everything else is in single player.

I'd disagree, usually games that are initially only sigleplayer just add the option of having a server in the core game. To be honest, now that I think about it, I'm amazed that there hasn't been any backlash about DST. Klei basically just sold the same game twice. 

22 minutes ago, 1v0 said:

I'm getting flashbacks from another topic ... Well I will say what I said there ... DST has only a few content to make it unique , until now all the work done on it was getting all DS content into DST . So please give DST time to get it's proper unique and multiplayer special content then ask for some of those that can be dealt with singleplayer ... It's hypocritical for me to say this because I can't wait for more DST content but ... just wait . Buffalo riding , changing resources , ewecus are part from TtA that isn't even finished ... Skins are to show off to friends/have your Wilson be different than your friend Wilson , so I really don't see a point in getting them in singleplayer .

Anyway my point in this is wait for TtA to be fully released and finished before asking content from it for DS . (thou TtA is supposed to be multiplayer special)

I understand that, I just wish there was some confirmation that that will indeed eventually happen.

12 minutes ago, TheKingofSquirrels said:

I understand that, I just wish there was some confirmation that that will indeed eventually happen.

I had flashback to this topic , there is a red comment too .

58 minutes ago, Axehilt said:

What do you mean by the difficulty comment?  Mario brought up increased monster HP and lower player damage, and you brought up 'multiplayer setpieces only', which seem like they would generally create a more difficult game.

Isn't the permadeath comment just "Doctor, it hurts when I do this."  "Don't do that!"  ?

I mean just because you can rollback (or edit LUAs, or install easymode mods, or play Endless) doesn't mean you have to.  The intent of the game is clearly that you only get a very tightly constrained set of safety nets, so if I played DST solo I'd play with that in mind and only use the safety nets I'd have had in singleplayer (ie I wouldn't use any touch stone I hadn't already explored myself.)

In response to the monster HP and lower player damage, I suppose that's something. However it doesn't really make much of a difference with most monsters, except for the DragonFly, which I'll admit I've never beaten. As for the multiplayer setpieces, that's not what I meant. I meant there isn't really that many Together Set Pieces and I miss the classics.

And as for your second argument, look at this...

Capture.PNG

This is me...I need that collar

But in all seriousness, imagine you are on Day 999 and you died. I don't know about you, but I wouldn't have the self control to stop myself from going to the rollback. I'm sorry, you can disagree with me all you want, but I hate having that option. And also, all your progress is all worthless, because there's no way of knowing whether you dis rollback or not, so there's no way of knowing the legitimacy of anything anymore. 

In my opinion. DS is near 100% completion. Just port over DST items and clothes and that's a wrap. The DS story is finished. Wilson takes the throne. The End.

DST starts with the Cyclum puzzle, and honestly... I sorta moved on from DS (besides Adventure Mode, working on that) and I believe Klei has too... BUT I am not against occasional content updates to spruce things up, just I don't EXPECT a huge new DLC like RoG. That's all.

The only thing I'd like to see for DS are bug fixes for some bugs that are starting to annoy me and make it easier to end my game. If they brought over content from DST into the single player version, then more power to them. Personally, I don't like Beefalo Taming all that much, but they are starting to refine it a bit, and it could become a great piece of end game content if they finished tuning it. I remember someone asking if they were going to patch the single player game during the stream this Thursday, and I was pleased to get a response that they were going to do so, just at an unreleased date.

22 minutes ago, Mikeadatrix said:

In my opinion. DS is near 100% completion. Just port over DST items and clothes and that's a wrap. The DS story is finished. Wilson takes the throne. The End.

DST starts with the Cyclum puzzle, and honestly... I sorta moved on from DS (besides Adventure Mode, working on that) and I believe Klei has too... BUT I am not against occasional content updates to spruce things up, just I don't EXPECT a huge new DLC like RoG. That's all.

Honestly it would be cool if we had Dont Starve Story : Ends with Maxwell getting free and Wilson takes his place. Now the story continues in DST Wilson gets free and kiked out from the Throne area by Charlie and Wilson and Maxwell goes again together through a New Adventure mode formed from Charlie to beat her and rescue her from the inner Shadow Maxwells last will for Charlie because he dont want this happening to her.

That would make Sense in fact on the Multiplayer aspect of DST Wilson and Maxwell works Together etc...~ and we could stop seeing DST just as a Clone from DS with Multiplayer Feature and start to thinking its Dont Starve 2 with a new Multiplayer function.~

Brainstorm Forgot Shipwrecked for DST, Image "The Shadows" as a whole new Dlc for DST lol that cleares up mysterys in DS where the shadows actually come from why they in the book etc stuff like that.. ( dont mind this last rate just and overextended Idea..~)

Greetings

1 hour ago, SenpaiArtorias said:

Honestly it would be cool if we had Dont Starve Story : Ends with Maxwell getting free and Wilson takes his place. Now the story continues in DST Wilson gets free and kiked out from the Throne area by Charlie and Wilson and Maxwell goes again together through a New Adventure mode formed from Charlie to beat her and rescue her from the inner Shadow Maxwells last will for Charlie because he dont want this happening to her.

That would make Sense in fact on the Multiplayer aspect of DST Wilson and Maxwell works Together etc...~ and we could stop seeing DST just as a Clone from DS with Multiplayer Feature and start to thinking its Dont Starve 2 with a new Multiplayer function.~

Brainstorm Forgot Shipwrecked for DST, Image "The Shadows" as a whole new Dlc for DST lol that cleares up mysterys in DS where the shadows actually come from why they in the book etc stuff like that.. ( dont mind this last rate just and overextended Idea..~)

Greetings

I want an actual Codex Umbra with all the puzzles and lore compiled nicely into it. I'm 99% close to making it myself so..... (cough) @nome @Corey (cough).

5 hours ago, TheKingofSquirrels said:

I'd disagree, usually games that are initially only sigleplayer just add the option of having a server in the core game.

You'd disagree, but you'd be objectively wrong. Usually games aren't written so extensively in Lua for the purposes of making them so readily moddable. Certainly not ones of this game's complexity. Trying to retrofit multiplayer into the original Don't Starve would have been an ugly, ugly process that nobody would have been happy with. Lua is great and it allows a level of modularity that's allowed our community to do a lot of fun and awesome stuff, but Lua and other scripting languages allow a lot of flexibility by allowing generally inefficient programming practices, and efficiency is extremely important when it comes to server software. Because of this, a lot of the stuff you never get to see had to be drastically rewritten, and so in effect they basically had to write Don't Starve twice (Not including, of course, the many implementations on various platforms, like the Vita port (and presumably the iWhatever port) that had to be changed pretty dramatically as well). That, personally, is why I don't begrudge them at all for it. That and, you know, it's just another $15, and the original was probably $30's worth of game anyway.

6 hours ago, engiSonic said:

I thought they had a sanity aura?

yeah, here it is.

They're also slightly slower than even a freshly tamed beefalo, so at the end of the day you're getting a Tam O' Shanter that moves marginally faster than you would with a walking cane, doesn't move as fast as you would with a walking cane plus road or magiluminescence, and hits weaker than an axe (only 20 damage). Sanity aura is a thing, but I don't think it's anywhere near worth what you're losing from not taking another option.

5 hours ago, TheKingofSquirrels said:

But in all seriousness, imagine you are on Day 999 and you died. I don't know about you, but I wouldn't have the self control to stop myself from going to the rollback. I'm sorry, you can disagree with me all you want, but I hate having that option. And also, all your progress is all worthless, because there's no way of knowing whether you dis rollback or not, so there's no way of knowing the legitimacy of anything anymore. 

Eh, I'm not going to disagree with you.  If you say you need it then you believe that and you'd benefit from mandatory enforcement (like what automatically existed in DS.)

Somewhat unrelated, way before DST I've always said permadeath only works in games with less than 6 hours of progression.  DST basically pushes right to this limit, and I always sort of wonder if the game would be a lot more interesting if the challenge always steamrolled to a doomed conclusion.  Currently it's just way too easy to sustain your character forever and most of my characters "die" to my deciding to call it for the night rather than because I hit a challenge that killed me.

In Geometry Wars if you kept playing without making a mistake the game's difficulty would scale dramatically over time (so harshly that even the best players are going to be defeated within 10 minutes.)  Seems like a similar concept would work well in DST, where as the game detects you're really stable at any of the challenge types (sanity, food, HP, light, etc) it starts to introduce randomized challenges making those challenges harder. It does require playing for a different reason though, as you can deliberately stall out difficulty by making a few mistakes (and so "days played" no longer is the measure of how good someone was at survival.)

Essentially it'd put more of the "uncompromising survival" back in DST.  It'd avoid permadeath destroying 6+ hours of progression because nobody would ever survive that long.  It'd cause all my sessions to end as they should -- with my brutal, agonizing death -- instead of logging out because I'm done gaming for the night.

Klei hasn't abandoned Don't Starve. They've been expanding it.

Have you all forgotten when they expanded Don't Starve to Xbox, Wii U, IOS etc? They also added SW in december and recently said on the previous stream that they have been accumulating bug fixes and are gonna do a big update where the vast majority has bug fixes and such.

Why would you assume DST has more priority over DS? They've always been equally the same of importance. And to support this is that they have been working on both games at the same time, and continue to do so.

11 minutes ago, SuperPsiPower said:

Why would you assume DST has more priority over DS? They've always been equally the same of importance. And to support this is that they have been working on both games at the same time, and continue to do so.

They brought in Capy to work on SW. Meanwhile focusing on DST themselves.

1 hour ago, Axehilt said:

In Geometry Wars if you kept playing without making a mistake the game's difficulty would scale dramatically over time (so harshly that even the best players are going to be defeated within 10 minutes.)  Seems like a similar concept would work well in DST, where as the game detects you're really stable at any of the challenge types (sanity, food, HP, light, etc) it starts to introduce randomized challenges making those challenges harder. It does require playing for a different reason though, as you can deliberately stall out difficulty by making a few mistakes (and so "days played" no longer is the measure of how good someone was at survival.)

This.

The world has to evolve with time. Push the players to their limits.

Have stuff like Terraria's special events for cool loot or death, or have to fight off Crimson/Corruption expansion.

Archived