Sign in to follow this  
Kevin

Spoiled Rotten (Jan 15 Update)

Moonkis    153
This is mostly some value tweaking. I think I mentioned yesterday that this would probably be needed...

Tuning:

• Health values for a lot of food items are higher! Rejoice!
  • Default stomach size reduced to 150
  • Spoilage happens *slightly* faster overall
  • Three new crockpot recipes: Honey Nuggets, Meatballs, and Fistfull of Jam
  • Teenbirds take longer to grow up
  • crockpot works a little faster

Fixes:

• Fueled hats shouldn't keep running when you reload. (You'll have to equip and unequip existing hats to reset them)
  • Tooth trap stays set across save/load
  • Cooked mandrake doesn't crash when you eat it

And some good news: app engine is back to normal, and the new Chrome update is uploading now!

The food items health values are higher? Not tweaked but actually just generally higher? I'm fine with that but I must ask, what are your words on downtime?

Aren't there supposed to be some kind of downtime between battles? So that you can't run around killing everything then "instantly" regain your health so when for example Hounds attack it's no real problem. What I'm trying to say is, aren't there supposed to be some kind of "choose your battles"-philosophy?

What are you aiming for there, I'm just curious! :)

w00tyd00d    193
This is mostly some value tweaking. I think I mentioned yesterday that this would probably be needed...

Tuning:

Fixes:

• Fueled hats shouldn't keep running when you reload. (You'll have to equip and unequip existing hats to reset them)
  • Tooth trap stays set across save/load
  • Cooked mandrake doesn't crash when you eat it

And some good news: app engine is back to normal, and the new Chrome update is uploading now!

Kevin I could kiss ya!

Torasko    17

Excellent work, a day after the release of the original patch. Going to check it out right now!

Does anybody know the recipe for meatballs? :D

Diezen    125

Did you tweak the beard growth or anything? I just got 46 beard hair from my epic beard, and it literally took 3/4 of the night to shave it. And there was pretty much an explosion of beard hair as well....

Kevin    2522
The food items health values are higher? Not tweaked but actually just generally higher? I'm fine with that but I must ask, what are your words on downtime?

Aren't there supposed to be some kind of downtime between battles? So that you can't run around killing everything then "instantly" regain your health so when for example Hounds attack it's no real problem. What I'm trying to say is, aren't there supposed to be some kind of "choose your battles"-philosophy?

You are correct - I don't want this to be a combat game. Combat should be a very risky proposition, and Wilson should have to rely upon his traps, tools, and companions to do his dirty work. The problem was that you don't really have any of those things in the beginning, so people were taking damage and then were unable to heal themselves at all. I mostly just put some key values back to the same ballpark that they were in pre-patch. Mea Culpa.

Given that health effects roll off on spoiled food, healing is actually a little harder to come by once you are established. Ie- you will have to make an effort to produce healing things before or after a fight (or at least every week or two if you are using a fridge). But it should be about the same as it always was for early players, because they tend to live hand-to-mouth.

What I want to prevent is the case where people have a giant stockpile of healing / hunger items that they can draw upon whenever they need. This is bad because a) it is kind of illogical (fiction-wise) and b) it encourages grinding (as we have seen from people's screenshots of mega-farms and supercaches of food).

Pre-spoilage, there was no downside to making more food. Now, you have to think - will you be able to use the food before it goes bad? There are different foods with different value tradeoffs, so there is some strategy there. For example, Honey ham is a pretty good, long-lasting all-round food. You can make a stack of these and then go off adventuring. Cooked pomegranates and dragonfruit have really short spoilage times, but heal you almost completely. You'd probably want to store some seeds and manure at your base so that you can make these in a pinch when you get back from said adventure.

When winter comes, we'll probably add some longer-lasting but less nutritious foods that you can supplement with hunting.

Anyways, that my intention with all of this. Your job is to tell me when I mess up the numbers. :)

- - - Updated - - -

Did you tweak the beard growth or anything? I just got 46 beard hair from my epic beard, and it literally took 3/4 of the night to shave it. And there was pretty much an explosion of beard hair as well....

Durrrr.... as far as I know nobody has touched that in months. We'll have to look into it to see what happened.

Big_H    10

Disabling steam cloud:

Some people have reported problems with steam cloud. We have added a workaround that will cause the game to save its files in your documents directory instead. To activate this mode,

add the following two lines to your C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\dont_starve\settings.ini file:

[sTEAM]

DISABLECLOUD = true

Do you need to restart the map/save before this will take effect? I made the changes to my .ini and I see the folder, but there are no files in it on my preexisting game.

Ricey    28

Tuning:

Well now I feel dumb for posting a suggestion to lengthen teenbirds grow up cycle!

Kevin    2522
Do you need to restart the map/save before this will take effect? I made the changes to my .ini and I see the folder, but there are no files in it on my preexisting game.

It doesn't move files around for you if you turn off cloud. If you have an existing profile / map / etc that you want to use, you can pop it in that directory and restart the game and it should pick them up.

Ricey    28
Excellent work, a day after the release of the original patch. Going to check it out right now!

Does anybody know the recipe for meatballs? :D

I put two carrots and two cooked meats :D

Torasko    17

I had the same thing, got a lots of filthy hair all of a sudden. Much more than before the update!

Toaster Fu    103

You must admit, that puts the epic back in epic beard.:D

Big_H    10
It doesn't move files around for you if you turn off cloud. If you have an existing profile / map / etc that you want to use, you can pop it in that directory and restart the game and it should pick them up.

Ok, thanks.

Haki    10

dude when i read that i couldnt stop laughting LOL hahahhahahaha epic beard..... LOL serious man im wondering now, you took 3/4 of the night to shave it? LOL I WANT THAT BEARD HAHAHAHHAHA

did you ever shave it once? i mean from the begin of the day 1 to your actual time you never shave it?

Haki    10
I want an animated gif of a wilson beard fountain.

Kevin, 2 questions for you, does will beard have a maximum size? and can you as admin create a wilson with maximum beard and shave it? lol i suppose that you could spend like a hole day shaving it hahahhaha

Tinithor    10

On this note, with how much HP honeyed ham and even just cooked meat, i just spent a whole week in game STRAIGHT kiting around 5 spider queens with no armor, a hound attack came mid way through i kited those to some angry beefalo who took care of em for me. The point is that there is so much HP regen in this game i could litterally just take hits willy nilly, the only reason i actually went home when i did rather than hanging around and waiting for the few remaining queens to turn back to rank 1 dens is that i ran out of grass to make sleep rolls, not HP and Food. Honeyed Ham is so obscenely good and it STACKS, and its ridiculously easy to make as well.

On that note, i know everyone's been wanting beefalo to respawn for AGES, but i think you need to nerf their respawn rate. As it is right now every 3 days i hire my 6 pigs, tell them go attack a herd, they almost all kill each other and i can get like 20 beefalo wool (Which is nearly useless now, i just dropped 40 of it into my research machine for giggles) and 30 meat at 0 risk to me. And those beefalo will be back before i even notice their absence practically.

Also why does Wilson's beard give more hairs now? I stopped making meat effigies at 9 but i could have like 10 more if i wanted to make them right now and the number just keeps rising even faster because of the rate his beard grows. Wayyyy too strong.

Tinithor    10
You are correct - I don't want this to be a combat game. Combat should be a very risky proposition, and Wilson should have to rely upon his traps, tools, and companions to do his dirty work. The problem was that you don't really have any of those things in the beginning, so people were taking damage and then were unable to heal themselves at all. I mostly just put some key values back to the same ballpark that they were in pre-patch. Mea Culpa.

Given that health effects roll off on spoiled food, healing is actually a little harder to come by once you are established. Ie- you will have to make an effort to produce healing things before or after a fight (or at least every week or two if you are using a fridge). But it should be about the same as it always was for early players, because they tend to live hand-to-mouth.

What I want to prevent is the case where people have a giant stockpile of healing / hunger items that they can draw upon whenever they need. This is bad because a) it is kind of illogical (fiction-wise) and b) it encourages grinding (as we have seen from people's screenshots of mega-farms and supercaches of food).

Pre-spoilage, there was no downside to making more food. Now, you have to think - will you be able to use the food before it goes bad? There are different foods with different value tradeoffs, so there is some strategy there. For example, Honey ham is a pretty good, long-lasting all-round food. You can make a stack of these and then go off adventuring. Cooked pomegranates and dragonfruit have really short spoilage times, but heal you almost completely. You'd probably want to store some seeds and manure at your base so that you can make these in a pinch when you get back from said adventure.

When winter comes, we'll probably add some longer-lasting but less nutritious foods that you can supplement with hunting.

Anyways, that my intention with all of this. Your job is to tell me when I mess up the numbers. :)

- - - Updated - - -

Durrrr.... as far as I know nobody has touched that in months. We'll have to look into it to see what happened.

if your intention is for spoilage to be a factor for healing foods then you need to take a look at honeyed ham, the easiest food in the game to make that takes an obscenely long time to spoil and heals like half your HP and Hunger each one. Like i said in the other post , i was litterally running around for a week with no armor taking hits from spiders gettin knocked down to under half hp, running away eating a ham and then right back into the fray. If it weren't for the fact that Spider Queens get exponentially more difficult when they are in groups the fight would of been trivial for healing. As it was i was just running around them for giggles laughing at the massive amount of spiders and leading them into beefalo packs and such. While this was quite fun the biggest challenge i had was keeping enough grass on hand so that i could sleep through the long boring nights. Even if i had died then it wouldn't of mattered because i have 9 meat effigies at home anyways. (You really need to make it so that you can only have 1 at a time or that if they don't get used up then they like come alive and try to kill you after a while, sayyy 30 days or so? That way you'd have to atleast pay attention to how long they've been up and dismantle them when the danger comes near and rebuild, using up some additional resources, or just make them right before a dangerous journey)

Wagasez    10

I think the changes made were too strong regarding health values of food. Yeah it was needed but I think it was a little too much. Game feels really forgiving now with the Beefalos giving tons of meat, respawning after a few days, and then the meat itself regenerating tons of HP each. Which makes killing ANYTHING in the game a walk in the park with wolfgang + armor.

Yeah, you guys have to find the sweet spot. Maybe just nerf the beefalo rate really heavily and the actual HP of foods by a bit.

Also, as someone mentioned, Wilson's beard is leaving trails. :p

GamingGorman    10

I still feel like its to easy to not starve, though I haven't played to long since the hot fix. I wasn't using farms or the crock pot, I was going mostly on berries and seeds. The hot fix is a step in the right direction though.

Wagasez    10
I still feel like its to easy to not starve, though I haven't played to long since the hot fix. I wasn't using farms or the crock pot, I was going mostly on berries and seeds. The hot fix is a step in the right direction though.

One thing that comes to mind right now is that the game is NOT in its final state so they'll have to just slowly balance the game as they go through. Remember that theres no winter in the game right now (among other secret stuff, hopefully?), which will probably make the game actually hard to not starve. Well, at least I hope so.

Definitely a nice hotfix, it was really hard to get your HP back up after a fight.

I can't say much more since, as I said, the game is not in its final release so...

But yeah, I really hope it moves in the right direction, the one that you can actually starve if you do not prepare. As of now, the game turns into a day grinding and death is almost impossible with the right gear.