Spoiled Rotten (Jan 15 Update)

Kevin

Mainly I agree ~ however is it just me or are others finding that the game now crashes if you try to eat a mandrake?!!? HELP!

First off, welcome to the forums. And secondly, did the same error occur when trying to cook the mandrake? Or was it just eating it. Because it could either be the sleeping mechanic has a bug or the hunger/health mechanic has a bug.

Edited by w00tyd00d

Hello everybody,

I wasn't playing "don't starve" for a long time, still new update and main development trend seems really right to me. I've tried to play few different styles, had big permanent base with bunch of turbofarms and stuff, and I've tried to lurk around collecting stuff, burning down woods, fighting a little, etc - i've been backto base really seldom, just to store things, research, regain health and rare ingredients. I need to tell you that second way of playing makes me much more happy, than playing "farmer in the woods". The dynamics of the game really allows you to balance and survive in the wilderness - hitting the road. Yes, you don't have stacks of berries or fried seeds, you need to think what to eat tomorrow, but if you're in the motion, you will be able to feed yourself - it's just that. So the spoiling food update gives you more freedom in heads and backpacks, and it's really great as I see it. And it won't allow the game to become huge boring farming simulation. And, the truth is, you don't need SO much farms to live happy peaceful life(if you want to). Really, they need to invent granny, wife and shotgun for farmers.

You find him in a special area of the world. You need to make a new world so that it can add that in as a part of the level generation process.

Oh I see, Thank you Kevin!, Guess it's time to commit suicide and collect my XP.

How do you even heal in don't starve? It seems enemies takes you down in health and you have no real way of getting it back. Starvation isn't the problem, it's getting killed by everything but starvation.

eat flower petals but they only heal 1 health

It's too low, I die all the time fighting monsters. It's no fun!!

What more ways are there to get your health back?

Edited by huldu
MORE HEALTH

I'm really disappointed with how there have been essentially no bug fixes for a month. I've been waiting on traps to be fixed since they were implemented. Same with bee mines. Making a bee mine is basically asking for the "million bee" bug, making your save unplayable.

I'm really disappointed with how there have been essentially no bug fixes for a month. I've been waiting on traps to be fixed since they were implemented. Same with bee mines. Making a bee mine is basically asking for the "million bee" bug, making your save unplayable.

Bugfixes are happening tomorrow. I know that one of them is a fix to the tooth traps.

You said that you changed health and hunger values for all the characters but I only noticed the hunger getting changed as all characters still have the same 100 health except for the strong man.

My question to you is thus, do you plan to have his character be blatantly over powered compared to everyone else? I understand that not every character will be the same but when it comes to balance, there is a huge balance disparity between the characters. Wilson can potentially live forever with his meat effigies which is nice and dandy if you don't mind waiting for his beard to grow. The firestarter has a weak fire effect that is only handy if you can't be bothered to make a camp fire and can potentially cause more harm then good if you're not careful. Wendy can, every now and then, summon a ghost that hurts her more then anything else and also gets in your way. I would go as far as to say that the ghost is a disadvantage because it summons on top of you so you take damage if you're not moving and blocks your path because it stays too close to you.

Then you have the strongman which is just blatantly OP compared to all the other characters because while every character has one small change, the strongman has 3 major changes. Double melee power, double health, double hunger (now 50% hunger). Why would you play as anyone else when you can play a character that is straight out better then EVERYONE in every possible way. You should consider giving him a disadvantage if you plan to keep all the buffs on him, such as needing to eat more because fact is people with a lot of muscles need to eat more to keep up with their muscle mass.

It just seems like you're trying to make the game balanced around his character by making everything harder when you should be thinking about making everything balanced. I would instead suggest that you just make him hit harder and that's it. Why should he be given three major buffs when everyone else has one minor flavor buff? What makes him so special that he's better than everyone else?

I know that you can use the tent to change characters but to me that's just silly and for people wanting to manage making something that breaks the game. IE starting as wilson and making 3+ meat effigies then switching to the strongman and steam rolling everything and living forever. If you want to keep the challenge for your game without sacrificing your new players I would strongly consider character balance before anything else.

I understand that not every character will be the same but when it comes to balance, there is a huge balance disparity between the characters.

The Devs have said in the past that the 'canonical' character is Wilson. The game is currently being designed around Wilson (and presumably balanced for Wilson.) The other characters are (at present) bonus content, and I don't think the Devs are worried about balance issues for them, just playability. Since we've had people playing as every character (as in "I only play X") except the new robot character, I feel that playability is there. Balance probably is something the devs will worry about much later in the process? Just a guess, of course.