Spoiled Rotten (Jan 15 Update)

Kevin

To all of you asking questions about food spoilage, I am ashamed!

Are we not scientists?! Do we not grow mighty beards and wear labcoats and goggles in the shower?!

Experiment I tell you! Find the answers yourself, then publish a paper about it!

1. I am not Wilson, I am Wendy.

2. I'm not a scientist, just a little girl.

and 3. Make me

;P

To all of you asking questions about food spoilage, I am ashamed!

Are we not scientists?! Do we not grow mighty beards and wear labcoats and goggles in the shower?!

Experiment I tell you! Find the answers yourself, then publish a paper about it!

But I won't be home to try it myself until ~5 hours from now!

Honey is useless now... why even bother getting a bee box?

How is it useless? It still gives TONES of HP! If it where up to me, it would be hit much harder, It has 40 days! Utilize it, attack a lot of stuff when you collect the Honey?

I need to test it out a bit more, but it seems that the food spoilage is quite, underwhelming, I haven't even noticed it yet...since you have twice the hungerpoints...

About the Food Spoilage, if its nearly spoiled, what happens if you cook it? As in cook a nearly-spoiled carrot?

Will it not become spoiled anymore?

If you cook something thats nearly spoiled it goes back to green. As far as i can tell you can also game the system with the way the stacking works. If you keep adding new items of the same kind i think the stack will bump itself up a little bit each time. Because this is the way it works and spoilage has milestones where the food gives less hunger points after a certain time, if you add a bunch of "new" stuff to a small stack of "old" stuff then the whole stack becomes green. If you eat it all then you get maximum hunger value even though some of the food in that stack used to be nearly spoiled i think.

This is just a quick observation. You'd need to work with rather large amounts of stuff for this to actually be effective though.

Still feels impossible to starve, especially with seeds now giving a wopping 9 hunger uncooked. All in all it doesn't feel very detrimental if you game the system appropriately. Meat lasts a long time in the fridge, then you cook it when its red goes back to green, lasts even LONGER after cooked, then if you STILL haven't eaten it you can use it in the crock pot for full effectiveness, save it in the fridge AGAIN.

Now that crock pot items stack i think that the recipe's have a standard value regardless of the exact items you used. Meaning all the min/maxing you used to be able to do to make the food the most effective doesn't matter any more from what i can tell. I suppose this will mean there will be new most effective recipes that convert to the most hunger gained from cooking it.

Anyways i been lurking on the forums for a while now, this was just the first time i felt the need to respond. Great game, just don't think this food spoilage made the game any harder at all. Hardest thing in the game is to keep my small birds alive ><

5 HP is tons? Wtf? That's not better than most food. Its healing abilities is what made honey special. Now that's gone.

It was REALLY overpowered before... you used to be able to carry around 800 hit points worth of health in 1 stack of honey and its not even hard to get. From what i see it heals alot more hunger now too and it has like the longest spoilage time of any food. Much needed change. Also since other foods seem to heal more health its not so big an issue (As a replacement for your big heal item i would suggest butter muffins, they heal like 20 HP and 38 hunger or something ridiculously good, and butterfly wings arent even hard to get. Now that they stack this is very viable to do)

It was my understanding that food spoilage is not here to have us scrambling for food every 2 seconds, but to stop us stockpiling HUGE amounts.

What with future changes that will make food scarce, a lack of stock piling capability will require quite some management and forethought, else you will never survive the winters.

It was my understanding that food spoilage is not here to have us scrambling for food every 2 seconds, but to stop us stockpiling HUGE amounts.

What with future changes that will make food scarce, a lack of stock piling capability will require quite some management and forethought, else you will never survive the winters.

I suppose you are right, but with the strategy i mentioned a couple posts ago that took me about 5 minutes in game to see winter seems pretty easy to stock for. (Well depending on how long it is at least. Also food never goes bad while sitting on farm plots or in crock pots and you can save it like that. You can save live birds in chests to kill them for the meat later.

It does take a bit more thought than before though so if that was the intention then it is a success.

I liked putting on my old beefalo hat that i had in a chest forever and having it actually have a use though :D, sadly i don't REALLy want to die and start over quite yet to try the new character or find chester. (And seeing as how impossible it is to starve still i feel Wx78's bonus is almost as useless as Wendy's)

I am pretty disappointed that honey has been pushed so much to the way side, it was such a major thing to get before and I'd spend days looking for my first hive and preparing to make a bee box. I even plant elaborate gardens near them to make my bee's happy.

I don't mind the hit to the hp Regen so much if the honey was then also used for something else special. Maybe ti be nice to see it used to make a healing item like bandages since honey is a natural antiseptic?

Refine grass + honey = bandage?

I am pretty disappointed that honey has been pushed so much to the way side, it was such a major thing to get before and I'd spend days looking for my first hive and preparing to make a bee box. I even plant elaborate gardens near them to make my bee's happy.

I don't mind the hit to the hp Regen so much if the honey was then also used for something else special. Maybe ti be nice to see it used to make a healing item like bandages since honey is a natural antiseptic?

Refine grass + honey = bandage?

Seems like a reasonable suggestion to me. I still feel like honey is a VERY effective item though for its health and hunger values and how its kind of a set and forget renewable food source. Probably even better than berry bushes. Also now that you can stack honeyed hams that makes it much more convenient as well.

Isn't it kind of pointless to expend the effort raising a smallbird if they ditch you as Soon as they hit adulthood?

I was kind of hoping we'd be able to have a permanent smallbird companion eventually, but be limited to having one at a time.

Yes but once winter hits we will have no honey production at all. I'd like to see the ability to make something useful from the honey long term and give a reason to go so out of the way to produce it.

Fishing and rabbit trapping is a better way to get food really and I expect to be available in winter. And once we have portals it will be even more out of the way to make bee boxes since we will be traveling so much more. Having bandages we can make from honey give us good reason to bother and then we can take our band-aids into the next world.

Yes but once winter hits we will have no honey production at all. I'd like to see the ability to make something useful from the honey long term and give a reason to go so out of the way to produce it.

Fishing and rabbit trapping is a better way to get food really and I expect to be available in winter. And once we have portals it will be even more out of the way to make bee boxes since we will be traveling so much more. Having bandages we can make from honey give us good reason to bother and then we can take our band-aids into the next world.

Bird trapping is ridiculously efficient and easy as well... (Hardly anything else to do with the massive amount of silk i have anyways)

Are there any bug fixes in this update? Like, any at all? Birds or traps perhaps? There were none in the last update.

Uhmm for me at least buttermuffins used to not actually show up when they finished cooking on the crock pot. The pot would open up but it would show nothing. I could still harvest them but the visual was broken. I don't know if they fixed that in this patch or the turf update , but i know thats fixed now.