Spoiled Rotten (Jan 15 Update)

Kevin

• Developer

SPOILED ROTTEN

post-8-13764590364882_thumb.jpg

Release notes:

• Food spoils over long periods of time. Stale and Spoiled foods are less beneficial. Rotten food is practically inedible, but can be used as fuel or fertilizer.
  • Health and hunger values have been re-tuned across the board. Characters have a larger hunger buffer now.
  • Crock pot foods are stackable.
  • You can build a fridge to mitigate spoilage.
  • New unlockable character: WX78, a robot who can eat spoiled food with no penalties, and who hates all living things.
  • Steam cloud can be disabled (details below)
  • Camera controls for streamers/youtubers: CTRL+P will freeze the camera in place. CTRL+H will hide the
  • hud.
  • Smallbirds grow up to become angsty Teenbirds. Teenbirds grow up to be Tallbirds and leave the player.
  • The mysterious Otto Von Chesterfield can be found in some swamps, and is befriendable. (You will need a regen to find him)
  • Beefalo travel in proper herds now. Herds regenerate off-screen (currently with adults)
  • Beefalo herds become agitated when they go into heat, and will chase away the player if they are not wearing a beefalo hat.
  • Beefalo sometimes drop a beefalo horn, which can be used to move beefalos around.
  • The spiderhat is no longer craftable - you just wear the queen's head directly. It also can't be used to steal spiders from an existing queen.

Disabling steam cloud:

Some people have reported problems with steam cloud. We have added a workaround that will cause the game to save its files in your documents directory instead. To activate this mode,

add the following two lines to your C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\dont_starve\settings.ini file:

[sTEAM]

DISABLECLOUD = true

Hey, great update. I just wanted to pass by and ask if there is a reason why Don't Starve is hidden from the Community / Steam Friends. People who do not own Don't Starve only see "In-Game" in their friends list when people are playing it. The game is also not in the recently played list in the Steam Community. There really is no point in that, since this option is meant for private betas, not betas which are sold on Steam and are publicly available. It's quite annoying since people keep asking me what I am playing, which makes it harder for them to even know about this game. Taking screenshots and uploading them to the Steam Community for others to look at is also not possible. The developers should look into changing this Soon. I'd really like to see a record of how long I have played this game and I would like my friends to be able to see that I am playing it, showing of how far I have come to others is also kind of part of the fun, so even the fact that I cannot upload screenshots is kind of lame - and all this for no good reason, as far as I can tell.

Related thread:

http://forums.kleientertainment.com/showthread.php?5747-Don-t-Starve-not-appearing-in-Steam-s-Recently-Played-list

Edited by ultio

I think I've noticed something that's not mentioned in the patch notes. Do tentacles move now? They don't seem to chase the player, but it does look like they change spawn points after they go back underground.

Omg yes! Food Spoilage,Baby Tall birds growing to teens and then adults,Beefalo agitation and herding! Yes Yes A million times Yes! A friendly moveable storage creature?! Fantastic, this is by far my favorite update because it will bring back the challenge of "Not Starving".You guys are great ima have to update some of my suggestion thread since this update takes care of a few.Very awesome work. I am going to see of crops rot when left on the fields long enough lol, will be great if they do to see a whole field of rotten veggies XD.

How will spoilage work with stacks of food? If I have one berry that's about to spoil, then gather another one, will that new one suddenly spoil along with the other? Will a stack automatically split when one item in it spoils?

Either way sounds kind of annoying.. there's already not enough inventory space!

Also is there a list of bug fixes? The bug with items not automatically stacking into the backpack is pretty annoying