The Beaver Needs A Buff

Buff The Beaver?  

112 members have voted

1. 1. You would like to see the Werebeaver buffed in DST?

• Yes
    • No

As a Woodie main, I agree that the Werebeaver should be buffed in someway, but I personally am not sure how you would go about it, I like the taxi cab and beaver dam ideas though. 

Spoiler

Woodie is best Waifu and if you disagree you can fite me IRL.

Also Maxwell? more like TRASHWELL AM I RIGHT?

6 hours ago, t0panka said:

So are we changing all characters to Wilson now?

Where did that idea even come from?

9 hours ago, Tumalu said:

Oh wait, werebeaver has -two- minutes before 0 sanity? I thought it was 3~3.5, which is enough time to actually get some stuff done. >_> Yeah, if nothing else it should drain a -little- slower so you have time to get some work in... as well as more time to transform back before nightmares.

Base-form Woodie has superlog harvest, free sanity, and long befriending time on pigs/bunnies/rock lobsters, and a little extra winter protection. With two of those having been added for DST to "replace" beavermode being useful. Hrm.

Also, I wouldn't call Woodie a "worse maxwell". Even in base form he harvests wood as fast as maxwell and one logger goon, faster in your bouts of beaverness (Which is pretty easy to fastswap to and back one time in a logging session, at least.) And whilst Maxwell's sanity doesn't usually go down, Woodie's way better at getting it back, and can force it downwards on purpose when desired just like Maxwell- except none of this junk requires burning nightmare fuel to do so. And imo Maxwell's other goons sort of suuuuck, making it hard to justify playing with half max hp...

Okay, yeah, beaver is awful, but I think human Woodie is still a better character than Maxwell. Those shadow duelists don't feel worth losing half my hp for in the slightest (anything you actually need help fighting will slaughter them with their low hp, rip ruins help), and you can hardly even use night armor worth a damn if you have two of 'em.

Yeah a small reduction to Werebeaver sanity drain seems like the most reasonable course of action.  Woodie should be able to get a little more mileage out of being a beaver before having to change back.  After that he'll basically be fine as a character (and he's fairly close now.)

I also feel Maxwell probably deserves some tweaks (specifically in how you control his shadows) but that's a topic already covered in another thread.

6 hours ago, t0panka said:

So are we changing all characters to Wilson now?

Woodie is great as is in my opinion. I have few friends who are playing Woodie exclusively and i really like to play with them. Getting nightmare fuel with DST spawning of nightmares is pain in the ass. You can be insane 24/7 and get like 1-2 nightmares everyday and sometimes not even that. With Woodie though getting fuel is really easy and that means shadow gear for days! Also since this is dsTOGETHER how about let your teammate kill nightmares while Woodie chopping wood? What OP is suggesting is ridiculous and destroying ANY challenge for Woodie. If you have problem with kiting Terrorbeaks then that is not a Woodie problem! Remember that Beaver is CURSE not "fighting mode"!

ALSO

"Don’t Starve is an uncompromising wilderness survival game full of science and magic"

This isn't about Woodie, this is about the Werebeaver.  Woodie by himself is actually pretty OP, since planting trees gives sanity back and you do it so often, your constant level 2 beard makes Winters easy, plus you have an infinite axe that can never break.  If you never go Beaver, Woodie is an extremely strong character with no downside, being a straight upgrade to Wilson.

The beaver is theoretically what nerfs Woodie, and it shouldn't be.  It wasn't in DS, but now suddenly it is.  I personally think Woodie needs a nerf (maybe only 2 or  sanity from planting trees) and the beaver needs a buff.  If anything, just removing sanity is a buff and a nerf in itself, as Beaver can't be used to generate tons of Nightmares, as it does currently.  Woodie is OP, Beaver sucks.  It should be equal balance between them, with Beaver being stronger early game, and Woodie being stronger lategame.

Eh, Beaver in DST is way more easy to use, his only problem is it's design philosophy changed. In singleplayer you eat wood to keep transformed while in DST you eat wood to become human. The curse changed from something powerful and hard to use that you want to plan ahead and abuse to a problem you constantly have to worry about and wants to avoid at all costs or get rid of it as soon as possible. It's like the game is punishing you for doing your own lumberjack job. 

If Woodie played like his singleplayer version i really think most people wouldn't like it because he was always very hard to use. As long as the transformation stays easy to go in and out, it shouldn't get drastic buffs. Here are some things to i would like to see for him:

-Lower sanity drain to 60 per minute (default is 90)
-Mine rocks in 3 bites.
-Keep your hunger and body temperature static (you can still starve/freeze/overheat while transformed, you just don't take damage)
-For gods sake, let woodie sleep the full moon away in a straw roll/tent, nobody survives the winter full moon and if they do they spent the whole thing running from treeguards/shadow creatures.

These things would overall make Beaver worthy usingg every now and then, he would be capable of gathering rocks too and you're less likely to keep running from terrorbeaks all day.

27 minutes ago, Mario384 said:

This isn't about Woodie, this is about the Werebeaver.  Woodie by himself is actually pretty OP, since planting trees gives sanity back and you do it so often, your constant level 2 beard makes Winters easy, plus you have an infinite axe that can never break.  If you never go Beaver, Woodie is an extremely strong character with no downside, being a straight upgrade to Wilson.

He only gets sanity from trees to compensate his own transformation insanity, that no one has to deal with. His beard isn't tier 2 lol, it's 45 insulation (according to wikia) compared to Wilson's 135 and earmuffs 60. Woodie has some advantage over others but he sure as hell isn't trivializing Winter. Axe is the easiest tool in the game to make, unless you joined late and didn't find flint it's not a real advantage.

Wilson can shave his beard during summer while Woodie can't (Summer is harder than Winter too) and gets sanity AND 2 free meat effigies every 15 day from it. Not to mention he doesn't have to deal with an ever decreasing log meter and can do what he wants at full moon.

I understand why you think Woodie is good but saying he is a straight upgrade to Wilson and  pretty overpowered is factually wrong.

20 minutes ago, Serph said:

Eh, Beaver in DST is way more easy to use, his only problem is it's design philosophy changed. In singleplayer you eat wood to keep transformed while in DST you eat wood to become human. The curse changed from something powerful and hard to use that you want to plan ahead and abuse to a problem you constantly have to worry about and wants to avoid at all costs or get rid of it as soon as possible. It's like the game is punishing you for doing your own lumberjack job. 

If Woodie played like his singleplayer version i really think most people wouldn't like it because he was always very hard to use. As long as the transformation stays easy to go in and out, it shouldn't get drastic buffs. Here are some things to i would like to see for him:

-Lower sanity drain to 60 per minute (default is 90)
-Mine rocks in 3 bites.
-Keep your hunger and body temperature static (you can still starve/freeze/overheat while transformed, you just don't take damage)
-For gods sake, let woodie sleep the full moon away in a straw roll/tent, nobody survives the winter full moon and if they do they spent the whole thing running from treeguards/shadow creatures.

These things would overall make Beaver worthy usingg every now and then, he would be capable of gathering rocks too and you're less likely to keep running from terrorbeaks all day.

He only gets sanity from trees to compensate his own transformation insanity, that no one has to deal with. His beard isn't tier 2 lol, it's 45 insulation (according to wikia) compared to Wilson's 135 and earmuffs 60. Woodie has some advantage over others but he sure as hell isn't trivializing Winter. Axe is the easiest tool in the game to make, unless you joined late and didn't find flint it's not a real advantage.

Wilson can shave his beard during summer while Woodie can't (Summer is harder than Winter too) and gets sanity AND 2 free meat effigies every 15 day from it. Not to mention he doesn't have to deal with an ever decreasing log meter and can do what he wants at full moon.

I understand why you think Woodie is good but saying he is a straight upgrade to Wilson and  pretty overpowered is factually wrong.

Don't trust the wiki, it's not right sometimes, and I admit, you have a point.  However, mentioning Woodie was getting off-topic and I apoligize, as this for the sake of the Beaver, not the man.

Fact is, Maxwell is now a better version of Woodie. So why bother playing Woodie anymore? If they make the beaver immune to overheating and freezing again, spear damage, and log suit protection (if not less). 

My reasons for this is that when you're in beaver form, you have no chance of warming up or cooling off when you have a hoard of nightmares after you. Furthermore, we can barely fend off attackers let alone survive most of the hits that we take from mobs.

I mean, I get that its OP to have night vision and close to infinite axe chopping, but the point is that there is no viability for Woodie anymore now that maxwell is here.

All it takes is 3 Shadow Loggers and 1 Shadow digger and I can clear out an entire forest within 1-2 days without putting any minimal effort. I believe making Werebeaver stronger and better is the only way to make him interesting now.

2 minutes ago, SuperPsiPower said:

Fact is, Maxwell is now a better version of Woodie. So why bother playing Woodie anymore? If they make the beaver immune to overheating and freezing again, spear damage, and log suit protection (if not less). 

My reasons for this is that when you're in beaver form, you have no chance of warming up or cooling off when you have a hoard of nightmares after you. Furthermore, we can barely fend off attackers let alone survive most of the hits that we take from mobs.

I mean, I get that its OP to have night vision and close to infinite axe chopping, but the point is that there is no viability for Woodie anymore now that maxwell is here.

All it takes is 3 Shadow Loggers and 1 Shadow digger and I can clear out an entire forest within 1-2 days without putting any minimal effort. I believe making Werebeaver stronger and better is the only way to make him interesting now.

If anything, you can testify after yesterday's events.

5 hours ago, Mario384 said:

Don't trust the wiki, it's not right sometimes

The wiki is right more often than people care to admit. His beard is 45 insulation, which is a tier 2 beard (not tier 2 insulating clothing). Wilson's beard goes 1 bit -> 3 bits -> 9 bits, and it's 15 insulation per bit. (although Webber's is 11.25 per bit)

I think Woodie himself should be nerfed in some way. The easy sanity gain and warm beard make surviving in winter super easy, but his Werebeaver form is pretty useless. I get that they wanted to prevent you from being the beaver for potentially really long periods of time, but the sanity drain is overkill. It's just not fun at all. 

On 5/26/2016 at 2:55 AM, GiddyGuy said:

But no really Maxwell is far superior than Woodie for wood gathering his shadows can chop trees while he takes down a spider nest and he doesn't even have to waste wood by eating, he also gains sanity from doing nothing.

And nightmare fuel farming? He can just lock himself in a insane state while his friends help him stay protected, and he can just get rid of a useless shadow to unlock himself from the nightmare mode, and bit of pumpkin cookies.

but maxwell doesnt have a kick as soundtrack just for him

okay so for me i do play woodie i find him fun and also he can get every single resource through other means except for grass. a good woodie is just very good at keeping himself alive and heck while being a beaver you dont lose hunger so if you are going to starve just go beaver and stay alive.. and besides we all know that sanity isnt an issue except for inexperienced players and that rouge double terrorbeaks.

but if anything i would just like to see him at least get spear dmg and grass protection  cause 25 % protection kinda sucks

also BEAVER TAXI'S

atop the  beaver189.jpg

Guys, lets hold back on comparing Woodie to Maxwell, both of them have special power that has the potential to gather resources but they shouldn't output the same numbers of it, they just need to be different playstyles (I just don't want us to look at the wrong things here) it is true that Woodie is indeed lamer at collecting the thing he is named after, but isn't wood more viable to him now that he can consume it to keep the beaver mode away? so he shouldn't be able to get so many logs to prevent him from going beaver?  ¯\_(O_o)_/¯  genuine question.

Any how I might not be the right person to discuss about Woodie since i really rarely play as him but from what i can tell from the single player version is that his powers are basically a mixed blessing, unlike the rest of the character cast who have a clear advantages/disadvantages his powers ARE the advantage and disadvantage.

In DST however i feel like its just a curse, the disadvantages overweight the advantages of beaver mode and now we are trying to give him  advantages that are completely outside his curse to compensate this, the beard warmth and giving him extra time with followers and letting him gain sanity from pine cones...we wouldn't need those things if beaver mode currently wouldn't  be so...meh...

I don't understand why they nerfed beaver so harshly anyhow, here's what i think about his current state.

He uses his own health now instead of a log bar, alright that makes sense, but then his armor got nerfed as well?! why? if we are using our own health now then that's enough of a nerf to prevent player from "lolololol disposable health i can get hurt as many times in beaver mode"  so why nerf his armor AND make him use his own health? that's like a double nerf.

Now limiting him by sanity drain i understand , you need to prevent players from staying in beaver mode forever so now the thing that stops you from doing that is your own inability to stay alive, i like that...but does it have to be sanity drain? since now beaver is using our own stats Woodie is also suffering from this, and not to mention its such a fast drain, you barely get to do anything before reaching 0, so we get to be limited time with an already nerfed beaver mode...

His log meter is the only change i actually like, being consistently haunted by the curse and having to consume logs to keep it in check even if your not cutting down trees ( although  Woodie actually eating logs bothers me , for me that crosses the line between amusing log love to errrr kinda sick person, you could have him get creepy beaver eyes while eating it to show that the curse compels him instead) so if we got the ability to control the beaver and turn whenever we want for the most part, why still make Woodie force transform when in full moon? doesn't that slightly defeat the purpose of always being able to push it back with logs?

4 hours ago, EsaiXD said:

but maxwell doesnt have a kick as soundtrack just for him

okay so for me i do play woodie i find him fun and also he can get every single resource through other means except for grass. a good woodie is just very good at keeping himself alive and heck while being a beaver you dont lose hunger so if you are going to starve just go beaver and stay alive.. and besides we all know that sanity isnt an issue except for inexperienced players and that rouge double terrorbeaks.

but if anything i would just like to see him at least get spear dmg and grass protection  cause 25 % protection kinda sucks

also BEAVER TAXI'S

atop the  beaver189.jpg

I interpreted that picture very differently  : I

I think when he is wereeaver form, he should be quite strong. To counter balance that, just make it like DS where he drops all his items. 

It be an interesting mechanic in Multiplayer, you can transform into a strong monster for the price of possibly having all the items you were carrying stolen.

I wish they would fix this, him and Willow are two characters I can't stand any more.

As of this post, the current vote is 48 to 6, so a vast majority seems to be in favor of buffing the Beaver.  Now, we just need Klei to step in.  I mean, it's possible they already read this, right?  So maybe one of them will post soon.

Out of all the ideas so far, recuperation Beaver is my favorite, since werebeasts are generally associated with regeneration, and sanity not affecting the Beaver.

55 minutes ago, Mario384 said:

As of this post, the current vote is 48 to 6, so a vast majority seems to be in favor of buffing the Beaver.  Now, we just need Klei to step in.  I mean, it's possible they already read this, right?  So maybe one of them will post soon.

Don't worry, Klei devs always read/lurk around the forums for feedback and discussions even if they aren't commenting :wilson_dorky:

1 hour ago, TheKingofSquirrels said:

I interpreted that picture very differently  : I

I think when he is wereeaver form, he should be quite strong. To counter balance that, just make it like DS where he drops all his items. 

It be an interesting mechanic in Multiplayer, you can transform into a strong monster for the price of possibly having all the items you were carrying stolen.

I wish they would fix this, him and Willow are two characters I can't stand any more.

Taking a big step backwards in design and making an already problematically grief-prone game more grief-prone wouldn't really qualify as "interesting".

21 minutes ago, Chris1488 said:

Both comments were.

Both?

New features like Beefalo Riding are up there in terms of player value (compared with balance improvements.) Given that Woodie is a viable character who's not especially underpowered (like Wes is,) it seems very likely the other poster was being serious when he said he'd rather see new features rather than small balance changes.

10 minutes ago, Axehilt said:

Both?

New features like Beefalo Riding are up there in terms of player value (compared with balance improvements.) Given that Woodie is a viable character who's not especially underpowered (like Wes is,) it seems very likely the other poster was being serious when he said he'd rather see new features rather than small balance changes.

Beefalo Riding is awful right now, and they should improve it, but they should focus on actually fixing things already in-game before making ones.  Willow was cursed by this, as she's still awful.  Not to mention how Maxwell's design is not as interesting as it could've been.

4 hours ago, Axehilt said:

Taking a big step backwards in design and making an already problematically grief-prone game more grief-prone wouldn't really qualify as "interesting".

How would it more prone to grieff?

At the moment, with Wolfgang or Wickerbottom being OP is ****, it would be nice to have another character that isn't utterly useless in PVP. If anything this would balance the scales a bit.

Archived