Sign in to follow this  
TheMelonNinja

Spriter Model is different than In-Game Model

Recommended Posts

Hey guys, so lately I've been working on a character mod for Don't Starve Together. Everything's working fine and the mod is enabled, and everything runs smoothly. 

I downloaded the Extended Sample Character by Dleowolf, which you can download here if interested: 

Now, obviously, I don't want my character to look like the Sample Character, so I changed the majority of body parts with Paint.net. When I open Spriter to view my progress, everything looks perfect. He looks just like how I want him to, and has no resemblance to the Sample Character. However, when I actually open Don't Starve Together and enable the mod, my character still looks exactly like the Sample Character, despite Spriter telling me otherwise. The only thing that has saved are my character's eyes, which are different from the Sample's ones.

Could anybody give me instructions on how to fix my (probably incredibly nooby) problem? I apologize if I have missed a step or if the solution is just plain obvious; this is my very first mod, so I'm still a little bumpy around the edges.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

did you recompile the mod before playing? go to your anim folder and delete both zip files, then go to SteamApps\common\Don't Starve Mod Tools\mod_tools and run the autocompiler and try running the mod ingame again.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, WORLDSBIGGEST said:

did you recompile the mod before playing? go to your anim folder and delete both zip files, then go to SteamApps\common\Don't Starve Mod Tools\mod_tools and run the autocompiler and try running the mod ingame again.

Hmm... I followed your steps, and now my character is entirely invisible, save from his shadow. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

:wilsondisapproving:Woops, my bad. Hm, would you mind posting your mod file so far? I can try comparing it to my own mods and see if it's something in the code! Stuff like this is always inevitably one little thing that accidentally got erased, my first mod had limbs flying all over the screen because I accidentally saved over the scml file, lmao

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
37 minutes ago, WORLDSBIGGEST said:

:wilsondisapproving:Woops, my bad. Hm, would you mind posting your mod file so far? I can try comparing it to my own mods and see if it's something in the code! Stuff like this is always inevitably one little thing that accidentally got erased, my first mod had limbs flying all over the screen because I accidentally saved over the scml file, lmao

This is my mod file, if that's what you meant. If you were asking for anything specific inside of it, just let me know.

mod.png

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, WORLDSBIGGEST said:

Oh no, I meant zipping the whole thing into a .rar file and attaching it to a post/hosting it somewhere. Sorry for the confusion!

You shouldn't be the one apologizing, haha. It's just me being an idiot when it comes to computers and stuff.

mods.rar

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Alrighty, there were a number of issues that I was able to fix! Several assets were missing- even if a character doesnt need a certain asset, the actual png still needs to exist. You just need to make it a transparent blank, though. There were a few stray filees hadn't been renamed properly and still read 'esctemplate' (this is the easiest thing to miss when starting out, lol), and a couple duplicates leftover for ones that were renamed. 

Also, from the tutorial;

Quote

DST Big Portraits and Names Additional Instructions

These directions need to be followed in the DST of the template or the mod will crash. This may have to be repeated after editing either of the files involved:

After you compile bigportraits/[character]_none.png and images/names_[character].png, you will need to edit the resulting .xml in a text editor.

In bigportraits/[character]_none.xml, change the Element name to "[character]_none_oval.tex". (Do not change the Texture filename).

In images/names_[character].png, change the Element name to "[character].tex". (Do not change the Texture filename)

fixing all of these things made the model work as intended. Sorry about the recolored ESC templates, I just wanted to make sure edits were still showing up.

Incidentally I got a new skin while testing him out- 

c693cb9f6f65d38db02ead26b5140b40.png

lookin' snazzy.

Watermelon the Outcast.rar

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, WORLDSBIGGEST said:

Alrighty, there were a number of issues that I was able to fix! Several assets were missing- even if a character doesnt need a certain asset, the actual png still needs to exist. You just need to make it a transparent blank, though. There were a few stray filees hadn't been renamed properly and still read 'esctemplate' (this is the easiest thing to miss when starting out, lol), and a couple duplicates leftover for ones that were renamed. 

Also, from the tutorial;

fixing all of these things made the model work as intended. Sorry about the recolored ESC templates, I just wanted to make sure edits were still showing up.

Incidentally I got a new skin while testing him out- 

c693cb9f6f65d38db02ead26b5140b40.png

lookin' snazzy.

Watermelon the Outcast.rar

Dude, you're amazing. I can't even begin to explain how much this was stressing me out; I really wanted to make this mod. You're practically a lifesaver! Thank you so, so much! 

Now all I have to do is add in his abilities, which should be even more of a chore.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/21/2016 at 1:17 PM, WORLDSBIGGEST said:

no problem! Feel free to ask for more help if you need it, coding is its own special brand of 'oh god how did this get here i am not good w

Hm... You wouldn't happen to know anything about coding, would you? My character's perks are that he makes crops grow faster when he's near them (like an area of effect type thing), stays cool easier (as if he's constantly wearing a Fashion Melon), and freezes easier than any other character. 

I honestly have no clue on what to do here.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

For temperature, put the following in your prefab file, within the master _postinit: (same place where your stats chosen sound file are)

	inst.components.temperature.inherentinsulation = (-15)
	inst.components.temperature.inherentsummerinsulation = (15)

This'll make it so the characters temperature will always be 15 degrees lower than whatever it's meant to be. Obviously you can set those numbers to whatever you like.

The easiest way to test it would be with these mods! You can also use debug codes, but honestly if you know how to do that you didn't need me to say so at all :p

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=376333686

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=551338671

For the faster crop mechanic, I have an idea of how to do it, but I won't be able to play with the code+test it until I get home from work in a few hours.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, WORLDSBIGGEST said:

For temperature, put the following in your prefab file, within the master _postinit: (same place where your stats chosen sound file are)


	inst.components.temperature.inherentinsulation = (-15)
	inst.components.temperature.inherentsummerinsulation = (15)

This'll make it so the characters temperature will always be 15 degrees lower than whatever it's meant to be. Obviously you can set those numbers to whatever you like.

The easiest way to test it would be with these mods! You can also use debug codes, but honestly if you know how to do that you didn't need me to say so at all :p

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=376333686

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=551338671

For the faster crop mechanic, I have an idea of how to do it, but I won't be able to play with the code+test it until I get home from work in a few hours.

I've copied and pasted the components into the Stats section of my prefab file, and when I'm testing it out, my character's still got the default temperature of 34. Did I do something wrong?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/22/2016 at 8:55 PM, WORLDSBIGGEST said:

For temperature, put the following in your prefab file, within the master _postinit: (same place where your stats chosen sound file are)


	inst.components.temperature.inherentinsulation = (-15)
	inst.components.temperature.inherentsummerinsulation = (15)

This'll make it so the characters temperature will always be 15 degrees lower than whatever it's meant to be. Obviously you can set those numbers to whatever you like.

The easiest way to test it would be with these mods! You can also use debug codes, but honestly if you know how to do that you didn't need me to say so at all :p

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=376333686

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=551338671

For the faster crop mechanic, I have an idea of how to do it, but I won't be able to play with the code+test it until I get home from work in a few hours.

Hey again, I've been experiencing some problems with the mod lately. Upon creating a server with the mod enabled, a message pops up and reads "An error occurred while starting the game. Check your log for details." and closes the game. It runs perfectly without the mod enabled. Any tips?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
KinaAxian    0

Hey ^^
I'm having the exact same "invisible character" problem

 

also in Spriter the character's proportrions were copletely burst and I don't know why ._.
Could someone have a look at the mod and most importantly, tell me how to fix it please ? D: (I'll probably need a lot of details because I'm pretty new at this and I'm kinda dumb with mods x) )

 

Here's the zip file of the mod

https://www.dropbox.com/s/5926089sf4bha0e/Bill Cipher Mod v2.zip?dl=0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Helix0623    0

ive made my own character but when i go go in game my character is completely invisible (shadow is visible) it then occurred that i still need to edit the anim folder, now that ive done that the game crashes everytime i start/enter a word with that character mod enabled

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this