Doc Clockwork's Art Emporium

Now with an 80% less unintentionally plagiaristic title!

Howdy all, I'm Doc. I got back into Don't Starve after putting it down for a while, so I've decided to start an art thread and share some of my works on the forums. Admittedly, since I'm self-taught and haven't had any professional teaching, I'm not too skilled. But I like to try my best, do a bit of experimenting, and see where that leads me.

To start things off, here's a nice little Maxwell, hot off the press.

tumblr_o7g5r9miFG1vtyk8do1_540.png

Edited by Doc_Clockwork
  • Like 12

16 hours ago, ImDaMisterL said:

Hey @Doc_Clockwork, welcome to the forums!

That Maxwell is awesome, dude! Can't wait to see more art coming from you :D

15 hours ago, Bebbit said:

Welcome to the Don't Starve community. I think you'll fit right in.

That's an awesome piece of art, too. Very stylized.

14 hours ago, minespatch said:

Heyo! Will keep a watch on this thread.

The blue is a nice touch. It fits the dourness of the underground caves in a way.

Wow, I wasn't expecting this kind of reception! Thanks for the warm welcome and kind words, everybody. I really appreciate it, it motivates and encourages me to keep going forward with my art.

5 hours ago, DragonMage156 said:

You totally stole that title from DexterComicLabratory's thread!

Nice art so far :encouragement:

D'oh! That's what I get for not looking through the posts thoroughly enough. Would a Wendy picture make a good apology?

tumblr_o7hh3pYBnd1vtyk8do1_540.png

• Like 6

9 hours ago, Doc_Clockwork said:

D'oh! That's what I get for not looking through the posts thoroughly enough. Would a Wendy picture make a good apology?

Well you didn't know so I'll let it pass. I accept your apologetic Wendy picture :D I like her.

Wow, I wasn't expecting this kind of reception! Thanks for the warm welcome and kind words, everybody. I really appreciate it, it motivates and encourages me to keep going forward with my art.

tumblr_o7hh3pYBnd1vtyk8do1_540.png

Is the color blue a motif or just a favorite color? It works great on both pieces so I'm just curious.

On 5/20/2016 at 1:26 PM, ImDaMisterL said:

Sharing art will always be a good way to apologize :p

19 hours ago, DragonMage156 said:

Well you didn't know so I'll let it pass. I accept your apologetic Wendy picture :D I like her.

I'll be sure to try and avoid any further gaffes. Thanks for the forgiveness, all!

On 5/20/2016 at 1:27 PM, Mobbstar said:

I love how you give the characters no forehead whatsoever. It gives your art its unique charm!

Thanks! Who needs foreheads, anyway? :wilson_wink:

18 hours ago, minespatch said:

Is the color blue a motif or just a favorite color? It works great on both pieces so I'm just curious.

A little of both. I like blue but I didn't use it in both pictures on purpose, I just ended up drawing two pictures that I happened to think blue lighting worked with. Maxwell has a bit of a blue-ish tone to his skin, easiest to see in the dark circles under his eyes. My reasoning was a blue-ish purple, gloomy kind of lighting could really make things pop.

As for Wendy's picture, full moons in-game tend to bathe everything in a blue light so I wanted to emulate that. Plus it can make things look a little more creepy, and Wendy always benefits from that!

Though now that you've brought it to my attention, I am a bit tempted to draw something with lighting completely opposite to what I've already done. Maybe a nice, fiery Willow picture?

For now, here's something a little different. My hand injury's been flaring up, so I haven't been able to draw anything particularly impressive. Instead, I've got a few assorted things to share.

tumblr_inline_o7jp81ThUs1t68mx1_540.png

This is based off a conversation where I jokingly brought up a "What if?" scenario where there was a nicer counterpart to Nightmare Fuel. I eventually decided to draw up a mock inventory icon for this "Daydream Fuel". It was a nice and quick little thing that didn't aggravate my injury too badly.

tumblr_inline_o7jp7rdPSr1t68mx1_540.png

This is a concept of a Don't Starve persona for myself, inspired after having seen @minespatch's persona. A stiff and serious fellow scientist that serves as a foil to Wilson, with a ~mysterious~ past and cool scar. Would have chronically low sanity, being one that puts the "mad" in mad scientist.

tumblr_inline_o7jqkljcn11t68mx1_540.png

And last but not least, a few messy concepts for how a friend's old Don't Starve characters may translate to in-game models, edited and tweaked to their current liking. There's no foreseeable plans to mod any of them into the game except for the last one, who is currently a work in progress.

I'm mostly satisfied with how they all turned out, but if I end up working on them some more I may tweak them further.

• Like 8

Oh cool, the foil character has a similar coat to what I have in real life. It doesn't have lapels but my grandfather was a doctor so I inherited most of his things including a medical skeleton.

There's definitely a rubberhose type style going on in your interpretation of the style. It works in your favor. :wilson_goodjob:

Good luck on your hand's recovery, that must be painful.

Yeah! Try to do a willow piece, I did that Willow piece a few days ago since I had to try doing something else besides Wilson. Might be a good experiment.

I like that Daydream fuel concept. Could be like a g-rated version of "Absinthe". :wilson_ecstatic:

• Like 1

On 5/22/2016 at 10:58 PM, minespatch said:

Oh cool, the foil character has a similar coat to what I have in real life. It doesn't have lapels but my grandfather was a doctor so I inherited most of his things including a medical skeleton.

Interesting! That's a nice little coincidence.

There's definitely a rubberhose type style going on in your interpretation of the style. It works in your favor. :wilson_goodjob:

Thanks again for the kind words! My style's always been on the more cartoony side, so it's always flattering to hear stuff like that. I appreciate it. :wilson_dorky:

Good luck on your hand's recovery, that must be painful.

Yeah! Try to do a willow piece, I did that Willow piece a few days ago since I had to try doing something else besides Wilson. Might be a good experiment.

I like that Daydream fuel concept. Could be like a g-rated version of "Absinthe". :wilson_ecstatic:

On 5/22/2016 at 5:52 AM, DragonMage156 said:

Daydream Fuel -  "The stuff of daydreams" - Wilson

:p

I hope your hand injury gets better and I'd like to see a Willow piece :)

And thanks for the recovery wishes. I've figured it's a chronic thing because it's stuck around for a while and has the unfortunate tendency to flare up when I draw too much. Not much to do aside from giving it rest and waiting it out.

tumblr_inline_o7mwo9j5KN1t68mx1_540.png

To change things up a bit, here's the sketch for that Willow picture, in case anyone's curious about my artistic process. Usually for pictures like this I draw out a grid to decide where to place things.

Then I (very messily) start sketching. I like to use a few guidelines to make sure things don't end up looking too wonky or uneven. Sometimes I go beneath everything and map out the shading if I think it'll give me any trouble, or just if I want the sketch to look a little nicer.

I should have the finished product ready for posting today if I'm lucky, or within the next few days or so if I'm not. I'll try to get it out to you all as soon as I can.

• Like 6

The dramatic lighting is excellent. Especially when the lighting is focused on the house more than Willow. It somewhat resembles the official art of her.

I've done that grid technique in high school but tended to not use it since my usual pieces are tiny. I'd like to do traditional painting again, but paints cost money while ballpoint pens I can quickly get at a dollar tree. Though... soy sauce does a nice sepia tone painting technique depending how you paint.

On 5/24/2016 at 0:04 AM, minespatch said:

The dramatic lighting is excellent. Especially when the lighting is focused on the house more than Willow. It somewhat resembles the official art of her.

I've done that grid technique in high school but tended to not use it since my usual pieces are tiny. I'd like to do traditional painting again, but paints cost money while ballpoint pens I can quickly get at a dollar tree. Though... soy sauce does a nice sepia tone painting technique depending how you paint.

Nice eye! I did the sketch with her in-game portrait in mind, but with enough of my own spin on it so it'd be its own piece instead of a more straight-forward redraw.

I don't use a grid all the time either. Sometimes it's impractical or just unnecessary. But it's pretty handy when you're drawing digitally and are working on something huge, which most of my pieces tend to be since I always start out with a 2000 x 2000 canvas.

Art can be expensive. My tablet cost a pretty penny, around $100-200? It's been a while so the details are fuzzy, but I still do a double take when I see the professional ones going for prices upwards of $1,000 or more.

I'm glad you're able to find alternate ways to enhance your art. Hope you'll be able to get your hands on some paints, I'd love to see what you're able to do with them. :wilson_nerdy:

tumblr_o7qubafCG21vtyk8do1_540.png

Alright, I'm sure everyone's tired of me blabbering. Here's the finished Willow I promised! Fire always makes color fun.

• Like 6

I'm glad you're able to find alternate ways to enhance your art. Hope you'll be able to get your hands on some paints, I'd love to see what you're able to do with them. :wilson_nerdy:

I could probably get some at a dollar tree but  the preferred paint would be acrylics. Those I can get at wal-mart but most of the materials I use are receipts and scrap paper. I thank my father when he can lend me a dollar or two for ballpoint pens. We work on a comic together(which is in my signature).

On 5/25/2016 at 4:06 PM, DragonMage156 said:

Really cool! Do you use Paint Tool Sai?

Indeed I do. It's been my program of choice for years.

On 5/25/2016 at 11:44 PM, minespatch said:

I could probably get some at a dollar tree but  the preferred paint would be acrylics. Those I can get at wal-mart but most of the materials I use are receipts and scrap paper. I thank my father when he can lend me a dollar or two for ballpoint pens. We work on a comic together(which is in my signature).

Interesting, I'll have to check it out sometime.

Sorry for the quietness these past few days. I've been doing some work on the mod with my friend. Doing art assets and playtesting can eat a good amount of holes in my time, but to make it up I've got two work in progress sketches to show.

tumblr_inline_o7uvcdjf8k1t68mx1_540.png

First, here's a super messy Wes. I haven't tried to imitate the game's style too often with pieces like this, so I'm hoping I'll be able to finish him up sometime. I'm also really looking forward to doing the background on this.

tumblr_inline_o7uwh5taOd1t68mx1_540.png

This was a request from my friend. Their character Wenwick in the rain with a (rather tiny) Glommer that's decided to take refuge on his head. Poor rich boy isn't a fan of Spring. Or getting wet. Or pretty much anything.

Inspired in part by the early finding of Glommer in a playtesting save. This is a fair bit closer to my usual style.

If all goes well I should have one or both of these finished up and ready for posting within a few days. Hope to see you all then!

• Like 5

My word, it's nearly been a week, hasn't it? I greatly apologize for the delay, I've had a series of misfortunes and technical difficulties that kept interfering with my artistic process in some way. There were tablet malfunctions and keyboard problems among other things, which certainly wasn't fun.

Fortunately, everything is sorted now. Thank you all for your continued encouragement and support.

tumblr_o8504kDEPM1vtyk8do1_540.png

Here's Wes in his completed state. I used a paper texture to serve as a sort of noise, as half-suggested by @minespatch. Ultimately I like the look it gave, so thanks for the suggestion! I was back and forth on the coloring, so as a little bonus, have an alternate look:

tumblr_o84zzbXHUV1vtyk8do1_540.png

Wenwick's picture should come after, I'll even try to throw in a little bonus after having kept everyone waiting. I apologize again for the delay.

• Like 5

No need to worry! The work you posted is appreciated. Good work with trying out textures and sepia versions. You can really see the  raw swamp-like tones affecting the textures you used. Even the lighting is dramatic. The colored version accentuates the lighting more than the sepia tone one.