cohension,spoiling,wx,teenbird,eyebone,chester,

• Developer

[MENTION=7698]jabberwalky[/MENTION]:

Wx isn't immune to spoilage - he can just eat food items for their full value up to the point when they turn to actual rot.

@Daddums:

I don't think that spoilage is micro-managey. It really just limits the utility of food-hoarding. You have to eat stuff within a week or so (depends on the item) of harvesting it. A lot of crock pot recipes last a lot longer than that, and they stack now, so you can actually carry MORE calories in your pockets than before. I even made it so that you can hold more days worth of food in your stomach, to make more powerful food items possible. The specific values are very likely to change in updates and hotfixes, as I see how people are playing.

I'll try to keep an open mind, but I fail to see how the act of forcing me to constantly restock my food is anything other simple minded busy work.

Time will tell I suppose, but tread carefully friend. Most who don't like it will Sooner just leave the game than beef about in this forum.

Wx isn't immune to spoilage - he can just eat food items for their full value up to the point when they turn to actual rot.

I suppose I should read/research things more carefully before I start blabbering, apologies...

Well you know every character was immune to food spoilage before this update.

I understand that, however most people who have survived past day 100 would agree that that games difficulty is lacking. Spoilage is a small step towards correcting that, a step that I greatly appreciate don't get me wrong. I simply fear that with the use of the tent and WX's ability's spoilage will have minimal impact.

Edited by jabberwalky

I'll try to keep an open mind, but I fail to see how the act of forcing me to constantly restock my food is anything other simple minded busy work.

Time will tell I suppose, but tread carefully friend. Most who don't like it will Sooner just leave the game than beef about in this forum.

Perhaps so, but the game needs some bigger challenge, especially considering not starving is fairly easy right now.

Edited by 501105

@Daddums:

I don't think that spoilage is micro-managey. It really just limits the utility of food-hoarding. You have to eat stuff within a week or so (depends on the item) of harvesting it. A lot of crock pot recipes last a lot longer than that, and they stack now, so you can actually carry MORE calories in your pockets than before. I even made it so that you can hold more days worth of food in your stomach, to make more powerful food items possible. The specific values are very likely to change in updates and hotfixes, as I see how people are playing.

Looks like this update is the best yet, though i havnt tried it out so i cant say for sure but it really adds a new element of survival ( Though i daresay only some minor tweeking will be needed to make my base just as a effective)

@Daddums:

I think that I might be alright with this. I was hoping that this was more to address the issue of hoarding food endlessly as opposed to crippling it's utility to substitute some nuance that passes for 'challenge'. With stacking crock pot recipes that last longer, the real utility of the crock pot itself skyrockets. Hell, it actually becomes outright necessary for longer exploits.

It means that, functionally, I'll just have to put some thought into using the crockpot instead of just idly stuffing food items into a chest to play around with when I'm bored in my camp at night. That...Really doesn't sound so bad, actually.

We'll see how it plays out.

Edited by Mathenaut

Why a walking chest? Why not some new dangerous mob or animal to hunt? Don't really see the utility it's meant to provide, when everyone has a base he/she visits regularly and a backpack for loot. Let's hope it's not as useless as I think it would be.

The rest of the update seems very nice.

- - - Updated - - -

Why a walking chest? Why not some new dangerous mob or animal to hunt? Don't really see the utility it's meant to provide, when everyone has a base he/she visits regularly and a backpack for loot. Let's hope it's not as useless as I think it would be.

The rest of the update seems very nice.

I have now only Willow unlocked, how many days i must survive to get all characters ? Really like to have this steampunk robot!

This update will be awesome! As i understand new Tallbird will be our pet?! :o Walking chest like DiscWorlds? :o Food will rot during time?! AWESOME AWESOME AWESOME! :) This will be now really Don't Starve game!

Spoilage will atleast make you think twice before digging up the 40th+ berry bush, or killing another innocent creature that could just not make it to its hole in the ground. You won't be able to use those surplaces in your base to their full efficiency - you can EAT all the food :) but what's the poing when already at full hunger/hp (there should be some penalty for overeating/being a sloth btw :D). So why lose time to hoard food when you can do much more interesting things? Go assault that spider infested swamp. Make an army of pigmen and tallbirds and start a crusade on the spider quens. Leave the protection of your cosy base and start living like a nomad only accompanied by your loyal pet chester.

im wondering with the spoil bar if it will stay the same in the fridge or still go down in the fridge

and when it fully spoils will there be flies flying around it like manure

Well if I had to guess I would say it still goes down but at a much slower rate, just like in rl.

So why lose time to hoard food when you can do much more interesting things? Go assault that spider infested swamp. Make an army of pigmen and tallbirds and start a crusade on the spider quens. Leave the protection of your cosy base and start living like a nomad only accompanied by your loyal pet chester.

Sounds great! Shame we may well be spending our time chasing food instead of those noble adventures.

Chester is crazy cool by the way

Sounds great! Shame we may well be spending our time chasing food instead of those noble adventures.

Chester is crazy cool by the way

But you don't know that, infact I think the food spoilage was kinda weak ( though it might prove me wrong ). How hard can it be makign a fridge? Besides 7 days i MORE than enough, also Crockpot items lasts longer and STACK, and the character don't starve as fast...? I think we will be just fine...

this is the bad part about the update :,( i dont wanna die

You COULD always make a backup of that world so that if you ever want to come back to it you can, though I don't think it will ever inherit the thing like the eye-bone and such...Pros and cons of a beta, I'm afraid. :\

Definitely something interesting. Adds some meaning to the game title and I believe that once the new world generator starts working correctly, hopefully, biomes will not be separated by bridges, but a whole continent fill form ( heck, there can still be lakes and seas ). That would imply that choosing the best suitable location for your big camp will be quite important.

Spoiling will definitely add a bit of difficulties for explorers, but I believe that this game should do just that be more and more difficult.

Also, it adds meaning to the tent as well, not just for fun but for strategic switching when needed, which is merely awesome.

The pumpkin dog thingie seems like a swamp creature to me, that could be hostile if you do not posses the Boned Eye XD

@Daddums:

dont have food spoilage in the game please, it will waste 40 hours of work of gathering food for the winter ;(

It's great to see the title finally have some significance with food spoilage! After playing Binding of Isaac more, I can only applaud a higher difficulty curve.

Remember people, it's a beta. Don't get too attached and be proud to be a part of something. You'll miss these updates when they're gone...

I'm glad to see more difficulty popping up. I was getting rather bored with don't starve feeling like I had conquered it rather entirely and there wasn't much more to see, do, or struggle against. I loved the whole struggle for survival aspect of it that I felt at the start.