Ysul's Handwriting

Ysulyan

Page Polls  

5 members have voted

1. 1. Page 10 Poll: You can get better...

• ... and better, and better, and better!
    • ... but up to a point!

Before @Mobbstar designed his character I wanted to give it a try myself, it seems we were thinking totally different things but in the end he or she who creates their own character has a better idea of how they want them to look like, yes? Anyway, I tried to draw Pit.

=========================================

pit.png

6 hours ago, Ysulyan said:

Before @Mobbstar designed his character I wanted to give it a try myself, it seems we were thinking totally different things but in the end he or she who creates their own character has a better idea of how they want them to look like, yes? Anyway, I tried to draw Pit.

=========================================

pit.png

but i'm not even in the abyss why am i there idk this makes no sense lol

15 minutes ago, PiturcaClaudiuStef said:

but i'm not even in the abyss why am i there idk this makes no sense lol

Mobbs character is called Pit. The humble heroes don't use their forumnames for their characters but instead what they liked.

So Mobb is Pit, Mena is Miles, Lipton is Jasmine etc.

It's just more flavourtext.

Welcome.

Please have a seat, I'll introduce you to the meaning of my persona's clothing and why I don't draw him "naked" so frequently.

Spoiler

1.jpg

Here is Ysulyan. Regular old, friendly anthropomorphic dragon. How's your day Ysul?... Welp, just look at his face. It seems he knows what's coming for him right now, because we'll be using him as a live example for what I'm going to explain.

For years now, there's been a constant battle between what's right and what's wrong for anthro characters. Most people think they should be naturally naked because they are, essentially, animals but with a human physique, able to walk on their hind paws and able to speak as well, in most cases.

Others do not think like this.

So why did I choose Ysul to have clothes? Essentially to avoid drama, but in part also because I like it this way. There's too much discrepancy and that's more than enough for me to make such a decision. People that think Ysul shouldn't have clothes won't make a fuss about it if he wears them, while those who think he should would spite me forever if I ever considered making him perma-naked. In the end it only depends on me.

But what happens if I draw him without clothes?

Spoiler

2.jpg

Well I'll be damned. NAKED OGMMMMM SOMEBODY CALL THE C.I.A.

But when you think about it, this is perfectly fine. Because even some anthro characters in great animations, series and movies don't have any clothes on. I won't even start naming them, just look around and you'll see. Even Ysul's character mod has no clothes on and DudeDude's drawing of Ysul is also naked because it's based off the character as he appears in Don't Starve.

But why is this frowned upon? Because most people believe that this is a sign of furryism. And for some reason, furries are disliked in most communities. This is the result of what I call stereotyping. "Every furry is like this", "every furry likes that". But let me give you a piece of information, not all furries are the same.

There's nothing I dislike most than people who insult others because of their likes, and I'll be strict about this because I simply think that these people have nothing better to do in their lives other than point out hilarious excuses to antagonize others. What gives?

When I was younger I admit that I disliked furries but then as I grew up I simply didn't care anymore. People like what they like and as long as they don't harm anyone in the process then let them do whatever the hell they want, I'm all for it.

Spoiler

Ysul, if you could just... Do what I asked you to do a few minutes ago...?

3.jpg

Whoa, ok. Don't look at me that way, Ysul. You need to do this for the sake of SCIENCE.

Now, tell me if this looks stranger? Does it? If so, it's because you're used to seeing Ysul as an anthro, even though he can easily go on fours at any time.

If it doesn't and you feel more comfortable by looking at him this way while naked, then it means that you're seeing Ysul as he's "supposed" to be, like an animal or a traditional dragon that walks on their four paws. Suddenly, being naked doesn't feel so wrong at all. Right? Maybe it does.

What about this following example?

Spoiler

P_20160521_202135.jpg

Pleasing? Yes? Hmmm, why so? Because Ysul here looks like a regular old traditional, four-legged, western dragon. Nobody goes crazy when seeing a regular old traditional, four-legged, naked western dragon, right?

Well, except probably you. ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

So what am I trying to say here?
tl;dr Ysul has clothes because I want to avoid drama.

The end.

Thanks c:

My daughter and I enjoyed reading through this lecture. A good day to you, doctor Y.!

Spoiler

One aspect I always considered is that clothing, as opposed to one's body, strongly represents one's wealth and personality. One can't change one's body a lot: different coiffure, maybe piercings; But clothes are made by hand and can be selected and switched to one's liking.

Lil' Ysul's simple shirt and shorts represent a rather casual life. LiptonPee's Dmitri wears a crown and red, striped pantaloons, alongside an impressive cloak, all things that make the viewers consider him rich and powerful, even at first glance. But this doesn't just apply for anthromorphised characters: When one thinks of the fictional professor Hershel Layton or his youngling Luke Triton, the strongest symbols that come to mind are not their faces or body shape, it's their headwear: Tophat and Beret. Said items represent the character's niveau and are an important part of their appearance. Looking at them for the first time, the tophat screams "Gentleman!", while the beret suggests a more lively, open personality.

So now you know why skins for DST are so important: Because they don't just make people more distinguishable, they even help people express themselves.

Hmmmpf TBH I never will understand people that make nitpicky posts about ones OC.

I mean Ysul is basicly your character, you created him and you should be the only one to know what's fitting for him and what is not. No one should have a say in what he can and what he can't wear just because of his apperance other then you.

Also the fact that some people seem to have valuable time to talk about what is and isn't ok for Anthro characters to wear is kinda mindboggeling in its own right.

I guess all I can say is screw people who think they know best as to what fits someone elses OC. If it bothers you then you know make your own but leave others alone.

I liked that lecture! And the drawings too. Very well done!

personal opinion below:

I, myself, don't always dress my characters. Jaw is naked, Wy...is kinda naked? or at least his first design was, now I'm trying to find a way to dress him up. But why do I want to dress him up? More than anything is this: 

3 hours ago, Mobbstar said:

clothing, as opposed to one's body, strongly represents one's wealth and personality.

Clothes are just another way to express the character's personality. For example: 

Arm.png

this guy wears a dirty, blood soaked red sweater, and black pants. Yeah sure, being human he needs clothes, but they don't only serve as protection. The red expresses his short-tempered character, the fact that is dirty hints to some sort of self-hatred and discontent. Clothes are another way to personalize your characters. 

But Jaw doesn't have clothes. He doesn't need them, he doesn't want them. 

Having a character without clothes is perfectly fine, well, as long as nothing is showing! ahah.

Also since you brought up the furries topic. 

I don't hate them...it just makes me a bit... unconfortable. but then again, I dislike anything oversexualized. key word is oversexualized! That's why I really dislike most animes. But if a person just likes antropomorphic animals I see no problem with that. Live and let live! (Life is already so full of suffering, why do we have to make others suffer too?)

What I think scares people is just the good old fear of unknown: a different way of thinking, something they've never experienced before. But after knowing the truth people should see that "furries" are just normal people that like something. We shouldn't give tags to people, generalize and categorize. Every person is different ^^

So TL:DR, Clothes are good for expressing a character's personality. But not all characters need them, as long as nothing is showing. Furries aren't bad, unless they oversexualize things, but that's a general issue, not closed in that community. And antropomorphic animals are good! People are just scared of what is different and uknown to them, as a natural defense mechanism 

Thanks for everyone's opinions c: I agree with all of you by the way.
Ysulyan's clothes represent his status as well, being simply a nature dragon born in a family whose father was slain in war and whose mother lives as a former academy teacher. He wears a set of linen garments, handistitched together by his own mother. Ysulyan grew up to be a protector of his realm (he wanted to be like his father) and that's all he does, hence his casual clothes. Without mentioning, his lore is medieval-based, so that's why those materials were used.

I don't have anything against furries (technically most of my characters are considered furries :p ) but since furries generally get a lot of hate, I refer to my OCs as anthros.

As for clothes, the reason they don't really wear clothes is... well, I'll be honest, I can't draw clothes very well and I suck even more at fashion. Their human versions have clothes (obviously) relating to their animal colour and personality :)

To be fair, they do wear clothes when they go out in public (cos every animal cartoon on tv does that :p ) but I just havn't drawn it yet. I wish I could have drawn them with clothes on some occasions (like Red and Fluffy dancing in formal wear) but for now, it's just hats and accessories ^_^

Hey @Mobbstar, what does Dragon Mage's clothes tell you about her? I'm just curious.

14 hours ago, DragonMage156 said:

what does Dragon Mage's clothes tell you about her? I'm just curious

Depends on the rendition, really. I don't know if you noticed, but the shirt (and wings) slightly vary from artist to artist. I will use your doodles[1] for this.

Spoiler

Shoes: Black with low heels. This suggest a certain standard, without seeming too ostentatious. The hole at the top breaks the otherwise stern style to produce a more excited and lively appearance.

Stockings: White, (knee-length) silk socks are a sign of wealth and nobility ever since the medieval era. The fact that they go all the way to the knee mean that the character prefers order and hierachy over chaos and anarchy.

Skirt: A blue, pleated skirt without much fuzz about it. A compromise of cost and fanciness, suggesting that the wearer is casual but not careless. It is rather short, meaning that the wearer either can't bear higher temperatures, or that the wearer is a bit more daring and open to others.

Shirt: A plain, purple tee. It fits to the skirt in that it seems rather cheap, yet practical enough. Again, short sleeves mean either that the wearer is expecting higher temperatures or that the wearer is somewhat bold, not to say cheeky.

Pendant: This little accessoire is extremely important to the outfit. It is the reason the previously mentioned items fit together, and clarifies that the shirt is preferable simple not because of poverty, but because of comfort. There's no pearls or such on the string, so it's not very impressive, but the material it is made of is yellow-ish, be it gold, brass, amber,... it certainly is something with value, and as such it connect the upper body to the fancier footwear.

Of course, you have to consider factors such as the hairstyle, the wing and ear posture and facial expressions to fully express your character's personality through her appearance.

P.S: I didn't even comment on the colour scheme. To be honest, the exact interpretation of colours is personal in my opinion: Nobody sees colours quite the same way. The blue and purple contrast with the skin and brown hair quite nicely though, while the white socks don't steal the viewer's attention.

Archived