[Forum Game] Descend into the Abyss

Where to next?  

16 members have voted

1. 1. Wich portal to take?

• Plains Area
    • Rainforest

"I'm not sure how much choice we have." Miles replied to the bard despite the fact he was asking the tinker. "If we try to flee it could be taken as desertion, and then we'd have to worry about two armies trying to kill us. My suggestion is while the chaos of battle starts up that some of the more stealthy or least noticeable of us slip away to try to find whatever keeps these men 'alive' so their souls can rest." The Steamknight said somewhat grimly, gripping the handle of her weapon. "If anyone has any other ideas, I'm all ears."

Rhi sighed and looked at Miles, his head tilted upwards so that he could look into her eyes as they talked. "We could also try to find a way to settle things without violence..." He gestured with an open hand, frowning with a hint of worry, "Maybe come down to some sort of agreement? I think these two commanders have their heads so deeply buried in blood and war that they don't see that there are other means to stop this madness. I don't think everybody in any of the two armies are actually happy of fighting for eternity..."

Miles sighed. "Rhi, these soldiers have been dying over and over, every day, for who knows how many years. Even if we get both sides to cease fighting, what would they do? They are nothing but skeletons now. Any loved ones they may remember they couldn't go back to. It's time they rest. They should have been left in peace the first time they fell."

Ria over heard Miles and Rhi talking below about trying to settle this peacefully. She floated down next to them. "Sorry to eavesdrop on your conversation. I wish I didn't have to be like this either. The world doesn't need war, there's no reason to keep fighting like this but it is clear these people have made up there minds. The sooner we help them, the sooner we can leave in hopes to find a better place"

Quentin couldn't believe it. MORE FREAKING UNDEAD!?!

......................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................

This sucked.

"It will be difficult to resolve this conflict. The man - if you can still call him that - who introduced us to the camp is perfectly aware of the situation at hand, but this doesn't necessary apply for everybody. Besides, everybody in the armies obeys their superiors, who are definitely not aware of their state.

Perhaps we could pretend to bring new orders from each army's capital? Instructing the generals to abandon this frontline in order to move to a bigger threat would probably suffice. Maybe we can even remind them of how they got here somehow, doing so might break the illusion of ongoing war."

However, Pih-Dit isn't a skilled diplomat and thus looks at some other group members in anticipation.

Miles stifled a slightly frustrated sigh. She felt like the others still didn't get what she was saying, but kept her tone even and tried to assert it again. "But what will they do when, if, we resolve the conflict. Are we just going to leave them to wandering this dungeon forever as cursed immortal beings? They've been through enough. We need to find what keeps resurrecting them and end the cycle."

Quentin spent some time writing and erasing until he finally lifted his journal. 

I agree with you Miles, but what if it is the Abyss itself that is responsible? If we can make a difference then we'd ought to. Otherwise there is no point chasing false hopes. Not everyone can be saved...

"Finding the reason for their curse might be a tad too difficult for us, but perhaps we could get a hint and support by a certain undead or two... or thousands." The tinker clearly insists on applying diplomacy despite being far from the ideal person to judge these things. "If all things fail, we can probably still skive off in battle, but to which portal and where?"

(just a lil something guys so you're not completly in the dark but ATM I didn't felt so good/motivated/had any good ideas so that's why I had no posts for the last 2 days

Hopefully I can do something good tommorow. I'm deeply sorry but sometimes this happens. Also I may or may not be able to post much soon anyway since Exams roll around with me having them on the 28th, 30th of this month and the 5th and 7th of the following one so may or may not do nothing during those 2 weeks since I will be busy studying a lot for them.

Again deeply sorry but sometimes stuff just gets inbetween my work but I will have to get back to this ASAP)

(DO YOU GUYS MISS ME? Yeah I got a bit of motivation back and decided to do something with all this spare time I use to proscrastinate instead. So that means I ACTUALLY GOT STUFF. For now however I can't promise on frequency of posts I try to get stuff done in time but I can't make promises till my exams are over so till then irregular schedule and I just try to see what I get done. But now back to the real stuff)

(I've been listening to this so many times in the last few days it plays in my head all the damn time)

As you try to find out what is going on you suddenly hear the sounds of horns going through the camp. And with that all the undead soldiers start preparing for the coming battle. Most of them seem to be using the basic weaponry for Presian soldiers that being a small shield as well as a basic short sword.

However you also notice a few more advanced weapons mostly flintlock pistols, a few muskets and a rather primitive blunderbuss here and there. It was without a doubt clear that the opposition had access to the same type of weaponry as well.

As the lines of soldiers form them self you also see General van Reichenwald walking down the lines. You can hear his impressive voice even from a distance “Soldiers today is the day we will defeat the cowards that oh so eagerly block our path further into this accursed labyrinth and with that the treasure we came to claim in the name of the empress.” He draws his rapier and points it towards the sky. “Let us show them what real Presian soldiers are made of and that we will not give them the satisfaction of claiming the treasure for their king.” He raises his voice even more. “FOR THE GLORY OF PRESIA AND THE EMPRESS.” “For the Glory of Presia and the Empress” shouts out of hundreds of throats and with that the soldiers march towards the opposing army.

There is not much time to think. Just as the rest of the army you move forward knowing that should you try to not engage in combat it could be seen as an act of disobedience and your current allies might turn against you.

As the 2 armies move closer you can see that the enemy is just as eager to fight. Their weaponry is as expected not much different than the one the Presian soldiers use. Now is the time to act and see if you can find a way to end this curse once and for all but before that you need to fight your way through the opposing forces.

The armies are now at fighting range. How will you act?

"There goes the purely diplomatic option, I guess. Perhaps someone of us could surge ahead and locate the alleged portal." The tinker looks down at the gizmos on his boots, then stares at the guns of the opposing army in disconfidence.

"We need to get through!" Ria said to the others "I'm not sure flying over is the best option, they might see me as a coward or a traitor and attempt to shoot me down. However, I can hover a bit and try to find an easy way through the carnage"

Ria flew up, hovering just over everyone's heads.

Rhi was dumbfounded, what was going on right now?! And why were they still in the middle of everything? He overheard Pit and nodded, then noticed Ria starting to take off. He could not watch her go alone though but it was too late to catch her. "You are an easy target if you fly! They'll see you as an immediate threat and shoot you with those gunpowder t-things!" Rhi was small enough, he could sneak in and go unnoticed, perhaps. But he was unsure. He tried to wait for an opening to run through and try and find that portal

Easy target, seen as a threat. Ria knew this which is why she wouldn't fly too high over their heads (like literally. C'mon Rhi can't be that short :/ ). While Ria thought she was still in a safe zone, an arrow whizzed by her head. "Whoa!" Not prepared to take her chances again, she laid her feet on the ground once more.

Archived