Would you rather just buy skins you want?

Would you rather just buy skins you want?  

60 members have voted

1. 1. Would you rather just buy skins you want?

• Yes (i just wanna look cool with my favorite character and be fancy with my friends)
    • No (it would ruin the market and make clothes lose their sentimental value!)
    • Maybe (explain below)
    • alternative (buy a box with random drops or your own alternative)

11 minutes ago, GiddyGuy said:

I'm saying you have a chance of getting a elegant from SACRIFICING SPIFFIES! But more than likely you have a higher chance of getting a distinguished clothing piece. 

I would love to know your definition of "roll" 

oh i have no idea there's such thing as random drop chance from the Trade Inn.

Well that was informative.

Roll as in you trade 9 items in Trade Inn to a higher quality. When you said drop i confuse it as the weekly drop in game.

I wish they wouldve just given out skins to everyone or maybe even similar to how you unlock characters in single player. The point of skins was to look different than everyone else, so you dont have 5 identical wilsons. This couldve been done with just the few character specific outfits (possibly in a few different shades). Can't change the current setup too dramatically now though, wouldnt be fair to those that spent a bunch on them already. *shrug*

Yeah i don't like the whole buy lootbox or whatever idea, i just couldn't think of anything good , i don't want this to turn into tf2.

1 hour ago, BlindGunner said:

The point of skins was to look different than everyone else...

See i feel like this point was kinda dropped once skins were in the market / trade system , to me nearly all the common skins look alike  except the colors and only the full outfit skins are different

especially with the heads, maybe if there were base skins to pick while rare drops would have been some sort of variations of those.

My two cents' worth here.

I'd definitely pay to get the skins, but from Klei only. That would ruin market value, indeed, but at least I'd be supporting the Developpers.

I'd like packs that either give me the whole collection for all the characters, or just the skin and head for the character I'm interested in. random buying would just be as frustating as now where you're desperately waiting for a distinguished or an elegant to drop, that you intend to keep, while others sell them right away. My friend got the Maxwell survivor head on his second drop, and sold it for about 50$. Good for him, but I also think it's unfair.

So why not keep the 4 random drops, and for those who want to spend money on the skins let them buy ingame, and from the dev what they're interested in?

Just my two caps on the skin systems:

1) If klei can sell skins and put that profit into good use (e.g more content). I am ok with that.

2) I wish they can lift the 4 drop/week limit. Right now 80% of the update comes in the form of new skins. When I keep getting 4 skirts every week I can't help but feel like none of these skins update has anything to do with me.

I already do just buy the skins I want, if I find the price to be reasonable.

The VAST majority of skins can be bought for under a dollar, w/ most commons going for a few pennies.  The ones that are more expensive will drop in price, if you just wait a while.

It's only the MOST RARE, absolute NEWEST skins that go for high prices.  And let's be honest, those are the skins that you REALLY want to devalue by circumventing the marketplace AND the drop system, aren't they?

Nobody is complaining about a Wes Guest of Honor for $1.32 or Valk Armor for 2 bucks.  It's the OMGTRIUMPHANT skins that have been out for like a week or so that you're really talking about here.

I honestly don't have a problem w/ the system, outside of maybe the Trade Inn ratios seeming slightly too expensive for my personal tastes.

You have the exact same chance as everyone else to get good stuff, or common stuff, and you receive these items at the exact same rate.  

Nobody has any advantage here.  

If you don't want to play the slot machine waiting game, you can buy exactly what you want outright, at the prices the community itself has decided they are worth at the time.

It really doesn't get more fair than that.

You can buy them in steam store.

But as for special skins shop, I don't think it should be allowed. Skins reward you for your commitment to the game, so you should not be able to get them if you didn't spend enough time in the game.

Also I just wana point out that, if Klei is gona make more DLC and charges for say 10 $USD, I am happy to pay.

However I am not in the position to buy any skin off other players hand. Thats just not the kind of gaming experience I want.

How other players like to spend their money and how they like to treat DST is their own thing. I just wana enjoy the game in a reasonable way. Buying skin off other players aren't that much fun for me.

25 minutes ago, Mday said:

Also I just wana point out that, if Klei is gona make more DLC and charges for say 10 $USD, I am happy to pay.

However I am not in the position to buy any skin off other players hand. Thats just not the kind of gaming experience I want.

How other players like to spend their money and how they like to treat DST is their own thing. I just wana enjoy the game in a reasonable way. Buying skin off other players aren't that much fun for me.

And this is totally fine, of course!

Fortunately, you can get skins the exact same way everybody else gets them if you don't want to pay a single cent to another player.  ; )

A different question: shouldn't the files for the trade inn be protected better? There are so vulnerable right now. I think people just have this atavistic omnomnom hoarding syndrome for skins. I am okay with that as long as nobody complains about me not partaking in it. But the files are very exposed now.

Maybe

Right, so, I'm ambivalent on skins. On the one hand, I just want to dress up all nice as my favourite characters, but on the other hand, it ruins the moment of finding it because, 'Eh, I have some money, I could do it anyway.' 

I just want a Survivor Wilson ;_;

7 hours ago, WildWesternWilson said:

Maybe

Right, so, I'm ambivalent on skins. On the one hand, I just want to dress up all nice as my favourite characters, but on the other hand, it ruins the moment of finding it because, 'Eh, I have some money, I could do it anyway.' 

I just want a Survivor Wilson ;_;

I can afford them all, but saving myself 20-30 bucks (that I wasn't going to spend, as I find that to be too expensive) by finding a rare skin is still a pretty nice moment for me.

Would love that shadow armor for my Maxwell, though.  I've got a weird knight-mage thing going on w/ him, lol.

6 hours ago, leonseye said:

I can afford them all, but saving myself 20-30 bucks (that I wasn't going to spend, as I find that to be too expensive) by finding a rare skin is still a pretty nice moment for me.

Would love that shadow armor for my Maxwell, though.  I've got a weird knight-mage thing going on w/ him, lol.

Fortunately, prices tend to fall when new skins come out, so not many people want Surv Wilson anymore.

Easier for me… >:D

On 2016-05-03 at 9:31 PM, verm1ll1on said:

You can put 9 Spiffy items for a Distinguished.

Are you sure about this? Could you provide a source?

Source: I put in 9 customs on my first or second time ever using it and got a Beefalo Backpack.

You can't give anything above Spiffy to the Trade Inn, but you can get items higher than Distinguished from it.

I don't see how making it possible to buy a skin directly from Klei would be better than buying them from other players, at least for the person doing the buying. (It'd make more money for Klei, but at what cost?) It still depends on you having a means of purchasing things online and/or rare items to trade for Steam Wallet money. The only possible advantage is that the prices would presumably be flat rather than subject to supply and demand (I detect a hint of wishful thinking in suggestions like "buy all of them for $3" -- some of the GoH outfits cost about that much each right now, at least in Canadian dollars). You can already buy the skins you want at your convenience, for a reasonable price... unless the skins you want are specifically the ones that are brand new, rarely dropped, and highly coveted.

I don't have a lot of sympathy for people who complain about how they can't get the new distinguished/elegant skins NOW NOW NOW without paying $200 to buy the skin from the one person selling it on the market. You can either pay the hugely inflated price for instant gratification, or wait a few weeks for the prices to drop like a sensible person. The prices will settle down eventually, especially when something newer and shinier comes along. Look at the Survivor skins; they were initially expensive because they were new, but now the clothes are selling for less than their GoH counterparts or around the same price, because formalwear is a more popular look.

(For the record, when skins went up on the market I immediately put $10 into my Steam account and bought the Tuxedo, the Party Frock, the Cocktail Dress and the Formal Jacket. It was so much less hassle than chasing after trades. I don't object to being able to buy skins in general, but I do think an official skin store would be a bad idea.)

Archived