Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Please be aware that the content of this thread may be outdated and no longer applicable.

MTX1234

Games crashes everytime I try to build something

Zillvr    1800

@MTX1234 can you attach the log.txt from Documents\Klei\DoNotStarve in your next reply? In the mean time I recommend you try to verify the integrity of the game cache (source). Here are some other methods you could try Klei Support. My first suspicion is it's mod related, anyhow report back with your log.txt so we can see what's really happening when it crashes.

MTX1234    66

I don't want to get too presumptuous but I think I know the problem

usually I like to have buildings ready for placement but not place them right away. in other words have sky blue colour on them

at some point the game crashed after I killed a catcoon. and then I loaded the game again and my crafting tab was reset so I decided it wasn't a big deal. the resources for the buildings weren't that precious anyway

but then when I try building something that once had sky blue colour on them. the game crashes but when I try to build something that didn't have sky blue colour it does not crash

so I guess my question is, how do I fix this?

Untitled.png

Zillvr    1800

@MTX1234 what specific structure did you prebuilt then lost due to an unknown crash then tried to rebuild again but crashes when you do? I'm going to try and recreate it on my side.

Secondly, (not entirely sure though) the crash could've been from this mod (InfiniteFoods) that you have active on that save. You do have it active right? The mod itself isn't updated for SW (based on the fact that it was last updated months before SW was even in early-access), and that could possibly why it crashed in the first place.

You could try and disable that mod and try the stuff that caused it to crash before. Disabling it will ultimately make your food rot but hopefully the crash doesn't happen.

If however it still crashes, attach your new log.txt.

MTX1234    66

@Zillvr the structures are 6: Campfire, Firepit, Endothermic fire, Endothermic firepit, Lightning rod and Pighouse.

as for the mod I only tried it once, and then had it disabled.

I guess for some reason the game still recognize it as an enabled mod???

if you could kindly tell me how to disable it completely that would be great.

you've been too helpful so far, thank you.

Zillvr    1800

@MTX1234 you could unsubscribe from the mod in the workshop then go to Steam\SteamApps\common\dont_starve\mods and delete the folder called workshop-171008945 (that's the mod files of that mod). Upon deleting it, everything should be totally modless. Try another verify the integrity of the game cache again after that. Then run the save again.

I'll try to replicate it, I'll let you know if I successfully do.

Just a clarification, you're playing on a SW save, but since you mentioned killing a catcoon you're actually on the RoG linked world where the crash happened? Since catcoons don't exist in SW. Hopefully I understood the situation correctly.

MTX1234    66

I unsubscribed and the folder was deleted automatically then I ran the integrity check and still crash.

as for my save I started off on RoG linked with SW, after the first the crash I thought the problem was in the RoG world so I travelled to SW using the seaworthy and tried to build and crashed again.

and that was just before I uploaded my log sorry about the confusion.

here's the latest

log.txt

Zillvr    1800

@MTX1234 I've been trying to replicate it but how your game crashed in the first place is still vague to me. I prebuilt those 6 structures and killed multiple catcoons but it wont crash for me.

Were you able to get a copy of your log.txt right after it first crashed? From my understanding these last two logs are from starting up the save again. Or were they always the same output as the first crash log?

And it only crashes if you start building an item that was in the same category as the structures you prebuilt, correct? Have you tried crafting items in these category while in the caves? 

Last thing I can suggest you try is to delete the builder.lua in Steam\SteamApps\common\dont_starve\data\scripts then verify the integrity of the game cache again.

If that still doesn't work, then maybe reinstall the game will fix it. Sorry for the multiple questions, I hope the last few methods fixes it.

MTX1234    66

@Zillvr if it didn't work out it must be because there was something I left out because I couldn't remember clearly. as for the log there were the same output I guess, I never deleted or modified any of it.

and oh yeah I was actually about to edit my previous post and state that I actually forgot that I tried the caves just before I visited SW and the same thing happened. and no the game only crashes on the prebuilt items themselves I can't place a lightning rod but I was just able to build and place a firesuppresser and the game didn't crash.

but what would happen if I delete the builder.lua? and if I reinstall the game will my saves be backed up automatically? I never reinstalled a game before (on steam).

EDIT: I couldn't find builder.lua in Steam\SteamApps\common\dont_starve\data\scripts

instead I found it in Steam\SteamApps\common\dont_starve\data\scripts\components

so it must be this one that you're referring to, anyway  I deleted it and ran the integrity check and still nothing

I also found two builder.lua(s) in both DLC folders and did the same thing but to no avail.

Zillvr    1800

@MTX1234 sorry about the misinformation, yes thats the builder.lua file I was pertaining to. It seemed that the game is getting stuck on that chunk of code even if the game isn't modded anymore. So deleting it and forcing steam to download that code again would fix the issue.

Sadly it did not.

Reinstall is a more drastic approach than the one before. Doing so would hopefully clear out any issues with the game.

The issue here is that we don't really know what caused the first crash in the first place (... at some point the game crashed after I killed a catcoon..), for the devs to ultimately find a fix for it. Not being able to place down the prebuilt structures pre-catcoon crash after the catcoon crash could just be an after effect of the first crash.

So you really are certain that these crash logs were the same crash logs when the catcoon crash happened?

MTX1234    66

@Zillvr I couldn't be more certain about the logs, and I just reinstalled the game and still I crash.

at this point I give up completely we tried everything and I guess the only thing I could do is debug spawn the objects I want and subtract their cost from my inventory. thanks anyway and here's the final log

log.txt