Game-crashing & unavoidable bug on PS4 version - agent upgrade screen and broken UI

Hi,

I made an account specifically to notify the developers that there is a game-crashing bug on the PS4 version of the game. I've been playing a while since last week, managed to complete the game once on Beginner. Now, I was about to complete it on Experienced, but a glitch happened right as I was going back to the preparation screen.

Basically, the "character upgrade" screen fails to appear and the game brings me back to the title menu with the following error message :

Loading error

BUILD[[unknown].0]LUA[unknown*]USER[]OS:PS4.1.0

game/client/states/state-upgrade-screen.lua

attempt to index local 'rightWidget' (a number value)

I managed to complete a mission even without going back to the upgrade screen, thinking it would be fixed with the next loading. But no.

Tried creating a new game : but no.

Even worse : the two saves meshed somehow, with my new save overlapping with data from the previous save. The UI was basically overloaded and non-functioning. Tried deleting the local files and reloading from the ones in the cloud, to no avail. Tried reinstalling the game. It is now simply broken...

Nothing special was happening to trigger it ; maybe my characters had a lot of over-equipment on themselves as I teleported. That's all.

Needless to say I am bummed out, as I was enjoying the game. Game-crashing bugs aren't supposed to happen on a game that came out a year ago...

Anyway. This needs to be reported and fixed ASAP!

I should add that upon starting a new game in another save slot, the first mission was overlaid by the agent upgrade screen from my real save file. I could store some equipment. Then I reloaded my real save file, and the changes made in the other one worked, but the UI was broken. Now I can't play anymore. The glitch first happened when I had only one save file, I created a 2nd one afterwards.

Anyone?

I still haven't done anything with the save file.

I created a third game on Expert, to see if it would glitch like the second one. It didn't, at first. Except while in-game, the cursor couldn't be moved to a certain MOD ability, even though I could move over every other item. The icon would not light up and would instead describe the other character's ability. My version of the game's UI is completely broken since the first bug occurence in save one.

I found a different loading error message by trying on and on to access the f*****g agent upgrade screen. Everytime without exception, it brings me back to the title menu, but this time [maybe because I created a third save file?] the loading error message was different : 

BUILD[[unknown].0]LUA[unknown*]USER[]OS:PS4.1.0

game/client/state-manager.lua:130:assertion failed!

That might be useful.

I would really appreciate any form of feedback... to be honest I'm totally let down not only by the presence of game-breaking bugs in a port of an old game, but especially by the seemingly total lack of concern about the PS4 version. From that perspective, it seems like a quick cash-grab by putting out a bad port of an old game on a new console and closing the door. I've already been a QA Tester for Activision and I can't believe this wasn't properly adressed in a typical QA process. Anyway, hope I'm wrong and that this will be eventually taken care of...

Invisible, Inc_ Console Edition_20160425233730.jpg

4 hours ago, BilderbergSlayer said:

I would really appreciate any form of feedback... to be honest I'm totally let down not only by the presence of game-breaking bugs in a port of an old game, but especially by the seemingly total lack of concern about the PS4 version.

I guess you just posted it at weekend when there were no Invisible inc PS4 port related devs at the workplace and they had no enough time to properly dig into happening problem. It's a totally new bug that never happened on PC, and you a bit exaggerating by calling game released less than year ago old. PS4 edition handle gui and controls differently than PC one, have a patience. If you only user who get this bug for now, it could be that it's not so easy one to replicate and fix.

18 hours ago, Shirsh said:

I guess you just posted it at weekend when there were no Invisible inc PS4 port related devs at the workplace and they had no enough time to properly dig into happening problem. It's a totally new bug that never happened on PC, and you a bit exaggerating by calling game released less than year ago old. PS4 edition handle gui and controls differently than PC one, have a patience. If you only user who get this bug for now, it could be that it's not so easy one to replicate and fix.

You may be right about the weekend timing. But understand : the section to post about bugs is closed and the bug file report leads to an invalid URL. What does it look like? I did say I hoped I was wrong. Saying "old" wasn't pejorative the way I meant it, but a year old game should be game-breaking-bugs-free, that's obvious. I've been on the inside of the game-making process and the QA teams usually concentrate on those file corrupting bugs before the deadline. It came out recently on PS4 and not so many people have jumped on it because of bigger cames at the moment, and even less would care to post about in the forums, but I think the bug should be easily replicable if it happened without any specific trigger. Simply completing the level led to the screw up. And that's not even mentionning the lag issues that have been adressed by another forum poster. All around a bad port, even if the devs are planning to follow up on this - which I hope.

1 hour ago, CyborgSlunk said:

I too have this same bug.

I cannot access my character upgrade screen.

I hope the developers will take some action as I really like this game (and paid money for it)

Wow! So this is not a freak occurence. Still no words from the devs... we did pay money for it and now we can't even play it.

Of course, the bug submitting thread is closed, and the bug report URL is invalid. Still 0 feedback. Way to bomb a port release.

SMH.

2 hours ago, CyborgSlunk said:

Thanks for taking the time to detail your experience, because I can't be bothered.

I did send a message to support via this website, bit I don't know if anyone will look at it.

Thank you for showing the devs that this is an actual problem being experienced by more than one person. Almost a week and no feedback. I detailed my experience because I was expecting it to be useful to the devs... I've had some Quality-Assurance experience so I know how to file a bug report. But then, the people in charge would usually take action. Oh well. It's like they haven't played it on PS4 or something.

This sounds like a really disappointing bug. I'm sorry that you're both experiencing this! Now I'm afraid of it happening to my game…

Question: does deleting and reinstalling the game fix it? I know that having to go through that process is not particularly acceptable solution for a commercial-ready game, but I'm curious. 

Hey everyone, thank you for your detailed bug reports. We do apologize for the inconvenience - we have discussed your reported bug with the developer of Invisible, Inc: Console Edition. They are working on a patch that should include a fix for sometime in the near future. 

Fantastic.

And mrdpcohen, if you read my OP, you can see that nothing fixes it. I deleted the game, I deleted my PS4 save file (after uploading it to the cloud), I downloaded the game again, got my save back from the cloud. Everything was the same. It's like the fabric of the game itself is unraveling since the first occurence!

At least something will be done eventually. Oh well, I'll finish Dark Souls 3 and come back to this little tactical gem when it's fixed.

9 minutes ago, BilderbergSlayer said:

Fantastic.

And mrdpcohen, if you read my OP, you can see that nothing fixes it. I deleted the game, I deleted my PS4 save file (after uploading it to the cloud), I downloaded the game again, got my save back from the cloud. Everything was the same. It's like the fabric of the game itself is unraveling since the first occurence!

At least something will be done eventually. Oh well, I'll finish Dark Souls 3 and come back to this little tactical gem when it's fixed.

Ugh. Well, glad to know a fix is incoming! 

On 28/4/2016 at 3:52 PM, JanH said:

Hey everyone, thank you for your detailed bug reports. We do apologize for the inconvenience - we have discussed your reported bug with the developer of Invisible, Inc: Console Edition. They are working on a patch that should include a fix for sometime in the near future. 

If the devs need any further information, picture or anything, I'd have no problem helping out. I've been fiddling with the glitch quite a lot, trying to unglitch it as well - old QA reflexes. 

For instance, the separation between save files has become non-existant. Starting my 2nd save file, retiring the agency, and then starting a game in the 4th save file makes it so that there would be a part of the in-level screen from the 2nd retired save file blocking half the menu screen. And of course, the in-game UI is broken ; you simply can't highlight certains items, and going into hacking mode basically kills the game - you can't really come back from it, the game is showing incorrect character positions, etc.

CyborgSlunk, do you think you could briefly describe the context just before the bug happened to you? I can specify some aspects.

• Had 4 agents.
  • Every one of the 4 agents was over-equipped. 
  • Everything was fine with the in-level game until the score screen, whereafter I was brought back to the title menu.
  • From that point onwards, not only the save file but the whole game has crumbled on itself code-wise.

Cheers!

I just had a strange bug... I loaded my save in campaign endless (beginner) and noticed Internationale wasn't there. I could select her but she just wasn't there. It was like she was invisible. No, she didn't have an invisibility rig, that at least shows an outline. She was just GONE. When I selected her it read like it was her and that she was an enemy. An enemy I had already searched apparently.

I found I could move her so I moved her around, but she still didn't appear. Then I moved her out of the room. I saw a guards knocked out body in the room. I think his program merged with Internationale before and that's why it read like she was an enemy because I had just ko'd that guy and searched him. When she got out of the room I could see her. Except it looked like she had been ko'd (with the z's) and she was on the ground. I could still move her though. I actually tried to see if I could use a med-gel on her but couldn't. I just restarted the level. It works now. I can see her. That was just a really disturbing bug though. 

10 hours ago, David525999 said:

I just had a strange bug... I loaded my save in campaign endless (beginner) and noticed Internationale wasn't there. I could select her but she just wasn't there. It was like she was invisible. No, she didn't have an invisibility rig, that at least shows an outline. She was just GONE. When I selected her it read like it was her and that she was an enemy. An enemy I had already searched apparently

Hmmm, your UI may be beginning to unravel. This is the sort of thing that'll happen : descriptions being changed between characters, unavailable abilities, invisible characters, weird "meshing" glitches between different elements. I know that my broken version of the game, when entering Incognita mode, shows invisible characters. Well. I hope your boat floats until the (impatiently awaited) patch.

I just registered to report the same game-breaking bug (PS4).  It happened to me last night on Day 3 in Endless Mode.  Same Lua Error after completing a vault-key mission and before the upgrade screen loaded.  I tried exiting the game and reloading the save file, but now my UI is overlapping with portions of the upgrade screen being visible inside a mission and the game is unplayable.  I'm disappointed to see you were unable to fix the issue on your end as I had been hoping it would sort itself out or a rewind might help.  Ugh, I had several harrowing escapes this run too and am pretty bummed.

For the run, I had Sharp and Dr. Xu and ended the mission with about 3100 dollars.  I don't think I picked up any additional items or augments, except for the vault-key.

On the plus side, deleting and reinstalling Invisible Inc seemed to fix the problem for me.  On the downside, I lost my next mission which I might have won had I been able to spend that 3100 on upgrading my agents.  :mad-new:

4 hours ago, Bagration said:

On the plus side, deleting and reinstalling Invisible Inc seemed to fix the problem for me.  On the downside, I lost my next mission which I might have won had I been able to spend that 3100 on upgrading my agents.  :mad-new:

Wow, that is surprising indeed. Why did you lose the money? If reinstalling the game worked, why couldn't you invest it before starting the next mission? In my case, I still couldn't access the agent upgrade screen. Except through a 2nd save file that I started, where the agent upgrade screen overlapped the mission choosing screen. And it did actually save the character upgrades that I made, back unto the 1st game save. Quite amazing.

At least now we see that this bug is generalizing. Quite surprising that this wasn't picked up by the developers during testing.

On 4/28/2016 at 2:52 PM, JanH said:

I hope the patch also fixes the lag. It's really irritating. Game's crazy fun but the lag kind of ruins it. Still my favorite game ever though. 

3 hours ago, David525999 said:

I hope the patch also fixes the lag. It's really irritating. Game's crazy fun but the lag kind of ruins it. Still my favorite game ever though. 

I agree with you 100%. 

Especially for a game based on quick decision making through tiny sub-menus and icons, where decisions are made once and for all, having constant lag spikes can lead to very frustrating errors in selections. I do love this game though, even if I couldn't really even play 15 hours of it before it went to sh*t.

Archived