Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Please be aware that the content of this thread may be outdated and no longer applicable.

voyager156

[Suggestion] Please Change Woodie

Recommended Posts

voyager156    357

Woodie is one of my favorite characters in Don't Starve Together. Clearly you changed him for better there. I see many people play him in DST. But in DS RoG (single player) he is not fun to play, to say the least... So please, change him in RoG --> so he would be like he is in DST :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
TeoSS69    2,204
2 hours ago, voyager156 said:

So please, change him in RoG --> so he would be like he is in DST

How about no? I don't like any of the character changes in DST. If they want to change them they should give us a choice to keep the old version.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
BlindGunner    39
13 hours ago, Serph said:

How was Woodie changed "for better" in DST? Is it just because it's easier to use?

He's one of the easiest to sanity manage and no longer loses all his stats on a transformation. Feels much nicer to play than needing to sleep through full moons or manage all his stats after a transformation. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
TeoSS69    2,204
1 hour ago, BlindGunner said:

He's one of the easiest to sanity manage and no longer loses all his stats on a transformation. Feels much nicer to play than needing to sleep through full moons or manage all his stats after a transformation. 

So, just easier to play. No thanks.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Mobbstar    13,938
Just now, TeoSS69 said:

So, just easier to play. No thanks.

Not exactly easier. Like Willow's nerf, Woodie now doesn't have an OP upside because that got nerfed as well.

In multiplayer, it may be better this way. But in singleplayer, it's just plain less interesting.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
TeoSS69    2,204
1 hour ago, BlindGunner said:

Less annoying

So, easier. No thanks.
 

1 hour ago, Mobbstar said:

less interesting.

Yep. Pretty much all the DST character changes are bad.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Mobbstar    13,938

Could you people please stop saying yes/no and start giving actual reasons and stating proper thoughts?

I don't play Woodie a lot in either, but I prefer the idea that the beaver has to keep eating wood to stay OP. In singleplayer, the players only hurt themselves by staying werebeaver all the time. Turning too often takes its toll on Woodie's stats, so the werebeaver really is a powerful ace to play wisely.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
TeoSS69    2,204
1 hour ago, Mobbstar said:

 In singleplayer, the players only hurt themselves by staying werebeaver all the time.

That's not necessarily true. You can survive the whole of winter/summer just harvesting resources and you won't need to prepare any food or weather protection to do so. The comeback stats are also fixed, so basically you can never go insane or starve if you want to even without the items to do so, meaning it's pretty hard to die when things go for a bad turn. As long as you have trees around you could also go against armies of mobs and stay alive without having strong items.

All of that is gone in DST. Now he's just someone that cuts trees kinda fast. Sanity regeneration from pinecones is not even that good since you can easily set up a flower farm.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Serph    459

Pinecone sanity bonus isn't a buff, it's only there to counter his own beaver sanity drain.

DS woodie is superior, he can do everything DST woodie can and more. Changing him just because he is harder to play is silly.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
PhelsarusBeel    3,996

TBH I hate the changes to Woodie in DST.

For starters the fact that the Logmeters drains 24/7 means i get less wood over time because i need to chew at least 2 logs per tree to balance out the loss of it the meter what means effectively i get 2 logs per tree so i don't transform.

Then the fact that the Werebeaver isn't on his own timer anymore is just as annoying as well as the fact that it doesn't run on the woodmeter alone but rather on woodies actual stats. In regular DS I see the Werebeaver as a last ditch of effort when things go awefully wrong. Start to freeze without any usefull gear? Transform. You'r not in the condition to take on a group of hounds? Transform. You'r insane/starving/low on HP? Transform. Fact of the matter is I have a lot more control over the beaver in DS then i have in DST. And the fact that i can't use it as a last resort for fights if things don't go as i expect them.

Heck Woodie even has the advantage of needing next to no prep items near touchstones to get back to base without freezing or overheating. Just drop an axe near a touchstone and you'r golden because the Werebeaver gives no f**ks about the weather.

Again his DST changes make him in my eyes a lot more of a chore to play compared to his SP counterpart because I feel like i have less control over the curse as well as the overall uselessness of the werebeaver (other then chopping wood and collecting a few other ressources).

Also if you can't balance out the statchanges after a transformation then you might need to look more into the Crockpot recipes that aren't Meatballs, Bacon and Eggs or Honey Ham because there are so many recipes that make HP, Sanity and Hunger a nonissue and if you know the mooncycle at least a bit you can easily prepare a couple of those dishes to counter his statloss post transformation.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
BlindGunner    39
3 hours ago, TeoSS69 said:

bunch of reasons why he's boring to play in DS

All of that is gone in DST. Now he's just someone that cuts trees kinda fast. Sanity regeneration from pinecones is not even that good since you can easily set up a flower farm.

So I guess when I said less annoying, I meant boring. Beaver trumps all in DS, and that doesnt happen anymore in DST.  Pinecones are nice because they are portable non spoiling sanity. 

 

2 hours ago, Mr.P said:

For starters the fact that the Logmeters drains 24/7 means i get less wood over time because i need to chew at least 2 logs per tree to balance out the loss of it the meter what means effectively i get 2 logs per tree so i don't transform.

Accept transforming = more wood at the cost of a few pinecones that you just got from chopping.

 

2 hours ago, Mr.P said:

Also if you can't balance out the statchanges after a transformation then you might need to look more into the Crockpot recipes that aren't Meatballs, Bacon and Eggs or Honey Ham because there are so many recipes that make HP, Sanity and Hunger a nonissue and if you know the mooncycle at least a bit you can easily prepare a couple of those dishes to counter his statloss post transformation.

It's not that I cant deal with them, its that they are annoying to have reset when instead of fixing them i realistically should just go beaver again. His downsides arent worth it unless I abuse werebeaver to completely avoid everything, which isnt fun.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
PhelsarusBeel    3,996
26 minutes ago, BlindGunner said:

Accept transforming = more wood at the cost of a few pinecones that you just got from chopping.

Accept that i again have less control over the curse because of that. Again in regular DS I never have to transform if i don't want to. That's my problem with DST Woodie the curse isn't something i have control over it's basicly eat a lot of logs or transform because you have to. Als the fact that i now have to keep chooping wood because sooner or later I will run low on logs because between keeping the fire up and managing the woodmeter you will consume a lot of logs in the long run. In the SP i never have to chop a tree myself past the first Fullmoon. Why? Because I can easily chop as much wood as i need till the next full moon and only really need to chop a few trees here and there for specific stuff (Palmtree Leaves, Coconuts or Birchnuts).

31 minutes ago, BlindGunner said:

It's not that I cant deal with them, its that they are annoying to have reset when instead of fixing them i realistically should just go beaver again. His downsides arent worth it unless I abuse werebeaver to completely avoid everything, which isnt fun.

It's the challange of the character and tbh the way the Werebeaver works in DST is stupid in my eyes. Again in the SP Werebeaver can be a great safety net for when stuff happens and you'r underprepared because the Beaver in a decendly sized Forest is very hard to takedown. You don't have that in DST anymore because now the Beaver runs on Woodies HP and other stats what means I can't stay beaver 24/7 if i want to because I either start to starve or go insane and have to deal with the shadows. Again I showed multiple points where his fixed stats are actually a blessing because it's again a great safety net for when you go Insane and have no way to quickly go sane again or if you'r about to starve you can just turn beaver to get a few hungerpoints back.

In DST all that strategie of the beaver is gone now it's basicly just a better axe/pickaxe because you can't properly fight more then 1 enemy (because you easily get stunlocked and with the lack of armor beaver takes the full blow meaning 2 hits by most giants and you'r dead) with it and you also can't use it to safe yourself if things really go down south.

And again his reset stats is just a minor inconvenience if you keep an eye on the Mooncycle you can easily prepare a couple of cooked greencaps and raw blue caps to quickly balance out his stats again.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
BlindGunner    39
11 minutes ago, Mr.P said:

Again in regular DS I never have to transform if i don't want to

You still dont, if you dont mind eating some of the wood you collect. Not sure why its such a problem to change back and forth though...

 

12 minutes ago, Mr.P said:

managing the woodmeter you will consume a lot of logs

1. Woodmeter without chopping depletes very slowly, not a problem.

2. Eat twigs then. 2 twigs = 1 log and you should probably have a twigs chest at your base..

14 minutes ago, Mr.P said:

It's the challange of the character

He's not a challenging character though. Have a problem? Chop till you change. Werebeaver can deal with just about any problem.

 

16 minutes ago, Mr.P said:

And again his reset stats is just a minor inconvenience if you keep an eye on the Mooncycle you can easily prepare a couple of cooked greencaps and raw blue caps to quickly balance out his stats again.

Or sleep through it, yes. I know how to avoid it, the problem is

1. I avoid werebeaver at all costs - boring to play

2. I use werebeaver once - immediately more useful to continue being a beaver as often as possible rather than dealing with the low stats / anything in the game.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
TeoSS69    2,204
1 hour ago, BlindGunner said:

So I guess when I said less annoying, I meant boring.

So you think being a combination of the worst aspects of Warly and Maxwell is better?

 

1 hour ago, BlindGunner said:

Pinecones are nice because they are portable non spoiling sanity. 

Easily dealing with one of the least punishing stats is not worth having to spend all that time chopping trees and having another stat to manage. Especially when you can do this in SP. Nevermind the conch from Shipwrecked.

Woodie in DST is bad for the same reason Warly is. His upside is there just to work with his downside.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
dronuspk    3
On 4/24/2016 at 1:31 AM, TeoSS69 said:

So, just easier to play. No thanks.

Agree'd, but to be fair, Woody is a pretty easy character anyway.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites