[Game Update] - 174200

These changes are so confusing and are causing a some random bugs/crashes for me. Doesn't DST officially releases tomorrow? And there is still Maxwell coming... Seems like an awful time to drop such a game changing update.

We should all report as much as we can.

I am a little confused about these changes myself. D:

I understand that the new trees/bushes etc are in the game and that they spawn/despawn at the season changes etc and that is fine.

(Although - Like many - I am wondering exactly what this means in regards to if I want to build up some sort of "base" in my world(s) - will my precious saplings all shrivel up and die after a certain amount of time? That would be a pain.

The main thing is; I am about to start a new world and am looking at the world generation options and wondering what exactly they mean...

I am talking specifically in regards to "Starting Variety" and "Changing Resources" ?

Both of these options have a "None" section - which I switched to while generating a new world today.

I expected this to have the effect of basically disabling these new resources from the world - but I am still finding twiggy trees in my world.

Exactly how do these new options work exactly?

I for one like the new resources, I just don't want a world where my "farms" I create will disappear each season.

2 hours ago, Asparagus said:

IDK, I feel like I must apologize but to be clear, thee world was not devoid of normal berry bushes:

20160420111444_1.jpg

All I asked was that the usual berry bushes found on the MooseGoose nests are gone... not saying the world did not have regular bushes...

I wasnt replying to your comment about the berry bushes. I just played in a world and saw no regular berry bushes - just the new ones. That's why I asked my question. If they're still there then that's good. It was just frustrating because I nearly starved thinking you could use the new berries in the crockpot only to find out you can't. I'll adapt I guess - I just don't understand where this whole update came from. Like what prompted them to do this? 

6 minutes ago, CassieCroft said:

It was just frustrating because I nearly starved thinking you could use the new berries in the crockpot only to find out you can't.

Wat, you can eat the berries by cooking them on a fire pit, or camp fire.

Unless that was the only food you had on you, which would be weird cause I thought birds dropped flint and edible seeds.

I have no problems with it so far ... I really hope it gets even harder ! In my eyes DS needs to be the dark souls variant for survival games ! One really uncompromising world ! If somebody or a new player can't deal with it make an option to disable it ! Also this is for the good of DS now the world is constantly changing (which I find refreshing) . Can't wait to see more of it !

Edited by 1v0
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, GiddyGuy said:

Wat, you can eat the berries by cooking them on a fire pit, or camp fire.

Unless that was the only food you had on you, which would be weird cause I thought birds dropped flint and edible seeds.

Or you play Wig lol. I had one monster meat and three of the juicy berries. I was going to make meatballs. I will be better prepared next time. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, 1v0 said:

I have no problems with it so far ... I really hope it gets even harder ! In my eyes DS needs to be the dark souls variant for survival games ! One really uncompromising world ! If somebody or a new player can't deal with it make an option to disable it ! Also this is for the good of DS now the world is constantly changing (which I find refreshing) . Can't wait to see more of it !

The era of the mega bases is facing a challenging state... all hail the nomads... or something! O__O

But seriously, I have been having trouble in a certain dedicated server (as well as a few ones hosted by friends) where when there are too many things in on the screen, say, you're in a forest or someone plants a ton of berry bushes, grass tufts, and saplings in the base, everyone starts to lag... like even the host has trouble and they lag too O__O

IDK, if this has a workaround that I have not read yet...

7 hours ago, Asparagus said:

The era of the mega bases is facing a challenging state... all hail the nomads... or something! O__O

Maybe they got inspired by Shipwrecked. I only have a little experience with it but one of my first impressions is that nomadism is greatly encouraged, and sedentarism will get you killed quickly. Maybe the reasoning was that it's a way to not get bored and to always keep us on our toes. It's uncomfortable but I think it's better this way.

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, Bahlsen said:

Maybe they got inspired by Shipwrecked. I only have a little experience with it but one of my first impressions is that nomadism is greatly encouraged, and sedentarism will get you killed quickly. Maybe the reasoning was that it's a way to not get bored and to always keep us on our toes. It's uncomfortable but I think it's better this way.

Issue is...It doesnt work because of the reason people still play DS.

SW's first year at least was really meant to get you more out there. The issue is that its so hostile to base building, and you know what everyone do after the first year? Why people still play it(most people)? Base Building.

It might be better in the first year where it keeps you on your toes. But fast forward and you'll see it getting annoying if done in a bad way. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Asparagus said:

But seriously, I have been having trouble in a certain dedicated server (as well as a few ones hosted by friends) where when there are too many things in on the screen, say, you're in a forest or someone plants a ton of berry bushes, grass tufts, and saplings in the base, everyone starts to lag... like even the host has trouble and they lag too O__O

IDK, if this has a workaround that I have not read yet...

No lagg for now but there are not many plants around so ... Will see later ... and come back to it .

2 hours ago, Bahlsen said:

You can still build a base you just need to go out get new plants . Not just sit around and wait for the ones you have to grow (like before once you get all plants you need , you can survive by almost staying only near the camp) . But yea I prefer the nomadic way too . 

EDIT : Anyway I need to play it more didn't have time to fully play a game (also waiting for the launch before starting a main save) so the one I have played is just a short test .

Edited by 1v0

11 minutes ago, LadyAnt said:

Is there an option to turn this new resource system off?

In the world customization screen, set Starting Resource Variety to Classic and Changing Resources to None.

I have a server-side question/bug related to backup logs that were implemented ages ago with option -backups in startup script. Good stuff!

But, those butts always get in a way... While trying to figure out what causes a newly installed mod to crash my 2 PVP servers I was looking thought log backups and found one that supposed to contain original crash info but instead was cut-off in mid sentence and provided no information at all:

http://artemiy.me/gaming/DST/shares/logs/SU%20PVP1/backup/server_log/server_log_2016-04-25-13-13-11.txt

upon second restart in 2 minutes it crashed again (mod corrupted save file), but this time logs remained intact so I was able to pass it on to mod developer for some fixes:

http://artemiy.me/gaming/DST/shares/logs/SU%20PVP1/backup/server_log/server_log_2016-04-25-13-15-33.txt

Am I onto something here or some backup logs look like that naturally?