7 reason to hammer down ALL merm's house, leaving only fishermerms

hyiltiz

Fishermerms are good; they give you free food. You can dig up all the poisonous hole so there will be none. You can kill off the flups, and since their regeneration rate is quite slow, you can have a very safe island with good civilization that produces fish everyday to the bounties. You can even introduce wildbores into this for a bit more protection. Any reasons to keep the bad green merms' houses? I don't see any except a) they can fight mobs during dusk and night (well, including you with a higher priority), and b) I would like to keep the world intact as much as possible, especially things that are non-renewable.

Erm, why would you keep them anyway other than farms? And with elephant cacti you can really farm them so well, because withered ones act like better walls, and fertilized ones are better tooth traps.

I can toy around with a few designs if you're having issues with that. 

That's also the only reason you'll keep them alive in the normal game IMO.

Okay. So, I do have 80 elephant cacti, 20 of them are used for farming monkeys, bees, spiders and snakes (all in one shot). As I said, if the reason is for food, then meh. I never worry about food. I guess mostly anyone with some elephant cacti in the pocket will. In my island (we are talking about merms, so you know what island) there are also tons of fishermerms. I will get more than 1 stack of tropical fish everyday if I bother to collect them. Using elephant cacti just to get some more fish sound okay, but hilarious for the particular purpose.

10 hours ago, AnonymousKoala said:

I believe they still do.

Not in Sw.

local reg_loot = 
{
    "fish",
    "froglegs",
}

local sw_loot =
{
    "tropical_fish",
    --"froglegs"
}

I think it would make the most sense, if they dropped raw fish instead.

Fisher merms are probably unfinished mobs, they look like Grandpa-Merms if you ask me and they might have a unique capability to making all the Merms attack you incase you bother them (Like Mac-Tusk orders his dogs to attack you)...Otherwise they are senile old merms that probably forgot how to be a merm (Merms are vegetarians so why do they fish?)

By the way have you noticed there is no longer any sort of villages of any mobs in the SW...No longer Merm/Wildbore enmity, Warrior pigs fighting FOR GREAT JUSTICE!...They really were funny

7 hours ago, SepiaPaper said:

Fisher merms are probably unfinished mobs, they look like Grandpa-Merms if you ask me and they might have a unique capability to making all the Merms attack you incase you bother them (Like Mac-Tusk orders his dogs to attack you)...Otherwise they are senile old merms that probably forgot how to be a merm (Merms are vegetarians so why do they fish?)

By the way have you noticed there is no longer any sort of villages of any mobs in the SW...No longer Merm/Wildbore enmity, Warrior pigs fighting FOR GREAT JUSTICE!...They really were funny

Forgot how to merm?! No villages? DansGame

Seriously though, merms and fishermerms are in villages. They'll do nothing to hurt you because unlike their green brothers they're NICE. No clue on why they fish, but again, they're nice.

How are they unfinished though other than the sprite being a simple recolor?

15 hours ago, TeoSS69 said:

Staring contests.

But seriously though, if they don't give you trouble either, there's no reason to destroy them.

you can easily accidentally get hit while minding your own business, eps. during nights since they are quick and you didn't see them.

10 minutes ago, hyiltiz said:

you can easily accidentally get hit while minding your own business, eps. during nights since they are quick and you didn't see them.

if they don't give you trouble

if

I did hammer all Merm Houses and left the Fishermerm Houses alone (Found 3, Got lucky). Moreover, I pitchforked all the tidal marsh turf , because I hate the sound it makes when you're walking on it. Now it looks more like a beach... I love it

http://images.akamai.steamusercontent.com/ugc/284100092862781506/75EAB9767197F9F691A04927E1CAB7D0C57B8BA5/

Why did I destroyed alll Merm houses is obvious to me. I hate Merms. They make harvesting Tropical Fish incredibly difficult, so I took a lot of time and effort to change the environment to my liking. 

I did find them good for fighting hounds at dusk and night, though. Only use for them, but could come quite in handy.

59 minutes ago, FreyaMaluk said:

I did hammer all Merm Houses and left the Fishermerm Houses alone (Found 3, Got lucky). Moreover, I pitchforked all the tidal marsh turf , because I hate the sound it makes when you're walking on it. Now it looks more like a beach... I love it

http://images.akamai.steamusercontent.com/ugc/284100092862781506/75EAB9767197F9F691A04927E1CAB7D0C57B8BA5/

Why did I destroyed alll Merm houses is obvious to me. I hate Merms. They make harvesting Tropical Fish incredibly difficult, so I took a lot of time and effort to change the environment to my liking. 

HOW DID YOU GET THE KRAMPUS SACK!? I AM PLAYING WICKERBOTTOM AND STILL NO SACK :(

8 hours ago, FreyaMaluk said:

Its a good idea to pitchfork the turf away though, so that way no more flups will spawn.

They respawn

11 hours ago, hyiltiz said:

I did find them good for fighting hounds at dusk and night, though. Only use for them, but could come quite in handy.

HOW DID YOU GET THE KRAMPUS SACK!? I AM PLAYING WICKERBOTTOM AND STILL NO SACK :(

Monkey Farm... So much food and Krampus..... SO GOOD!!!

4 hours ago, AnonymousKoala said:

Its a good idea to pitchfork the turf away though, so that way no more flups will spawn.

They respawn

Exactly... Besides, flup drops are SO BAD. The Eyeshot makes 20 DMG. I mean... useless.

On 4/17/2016 at 7:49 PM, stl1234 said:

Not in Sw.

local reg_loot = 
{
    "fish",
    "froglegs",
}

local sw_loot =
{
    "tropical_fish",
    --"froglegs"
}

I think it would make the most sense, if they dropped raw fish instead.

I never got frog legs when I was eradicating the Merms from my SW base... and I killed A LOT  

45 minutes ago, FreyaMaluk said:

I never got frog legs when I was eradicating the Merms in my SW base... and I killed A LOT  

Right, sorry, I should have clarified. "--" means a comment, so that line isn't actually running in the code. Sw merms only drop tropical fish.

2 hours ago, FreyaMaluk said:

Monkey Farm... So much food and Krampus..... SO GOOD!!!

Exactly... Besides, flup drops are SO BAD. The Eyeshot makes 20 DMG. I mean... useless.

I never got frog legs when I was eradicating the Merms from my SW base... and I killed A LOT  

Here's the thing though, eyeshot is not meant to be a weapon.

Because of its low damage its the one thing that just stuns birds instead of killing them, at least the only ranged thing to do so.

The issue is that after getting bird cages, the eyeshot becomes so useless even cactus spikes are better(since they have an actual use that opens up some cool stuff with elephant cacti)

11 hours ago, AnonymousKoala said:

Because of its low damage its the one thing that just stuns birds instead of killing them, at least the only ranged thing to do so.

The issue is that after getting bird cages, the eyeshot becomes so useless even cactus spikes are better(since they have an actual use that opens up some cool stuff with elephant cacti)

You can shoot a bird with the eyeshot and cook it for a morsel.

It's not exactly life saving, but I find eyeshots lying around quite a lot so it's basically free meat so I can't complain.

19 hours ago, AnonymousKoala said:

I know that , but still. It is absolutely no worth the pain of leaving flups respawn just for Eyeshots.... Besides, if you need to catch birds, the bird traps are much more effective, or you can craft some boomerangs. 

My point is... my favorite biome for a base is the Tidal Marsh (Tidal Pools = Surf 'N Turf, so good!), but I hate the sound the Tidal Marsh Turf makes when you walk on it and I don't consider Merm Houses or Flups something worth keeping on my base. That's why I hammered all Merm Houses and pitchforked all Tidal Marsh Turf.

3 hours ago, FreyaMaluk said:

I know that , but still. It is absolutely no worth the pain of leaving flups respawn just for Eyeshots.... Besides, if you need to catch birds, the bird traps are much more effective, or you can craft some boomerangs. 

My point is... my favorite biome for a base is the Tidal Marsh (Tidal Pools = Surf 'N Turf, so good!), but I hate the sound the Tidal Marsh Turf makes when you walk on it and I don't consider Merm Houses or Flups something worth keeping on my base. That's why I hammered all Merm Houses and pitchforked all Tidal Marsh Turf.

I wish I could bring Fishermerms to RoG to fish from ponds. I want to show them the civilized life.

Bird Traps aren't that effective IMO, and they dont let you choose the type of bird you want. 

Archived