A fence structure for penning animals instead of walls.

Ajosen

I was thinking primarily because of the Doydoy and how it loves to warp through walls. Ive seen some people use walls to trap creatures like the Koalefant and some very creative methods to trap baby Tallbirds as they grow. But now with Doydoys, having a way of keeping creatures in a certain area is needed more. Walls are more of a defensive structure and they were not intended to be used to pen animals in. I say this because of the clunky nature of having to break down the wall just to re-enter it and how animals are glitching through walls. Ive found this to be a problem with other animals, for some reason surrounding them with walls and then returning to the area later you find that they have either gotten stuck in a different portion of the wall or have escaped. So unless it would break the game, maybe creating a fence type structure and a gate structure which could still be destroyed and were much weaker than walls would be a better. On top of this if you were to create a space of land that was enclosed entirely by a fence then the creatures inside of that area would act more calmly and naturally instead of running into walls. With there being limits to the area so that you cant surround an entire island to pacify all of the animals on the island. Just an idea. 

Another thought so that it wouldn't be overpowered. Perhaps having to put a certain item into the area to quell the animals inside of it temporarily otherwise they would start trying to damage the walls (like a monkey ball for monkeys specifically). This would avoid walls being a easy permanent way to control animals.

4 minutes ago, TeoSS69 said:

Have you tried Elephant Cacti?

https://cdn.streamable.com/video/mp4/swcj.mp4

Thats quite an interesting way but would that work for doydoys and tallbirds which have growth cycles? surly it would kill them before they could grow? And your also blocked by the cactus so you would still have to uproot it and then plant it before you could get in.

Just now, TeoSS69 said:

You don't have to fertilize them. That was made to show how to farm mobs without the Cacti dying. Thought I'd use it to show you can use them as super walls.

I never thought of trying that. Not sure if things will still glitch through them and you still have to uproot one to get in. 

Just now, Ajosen said:

glitch through them

I don't know that, but I've had great results with Prime Apes, which have gone through completely walled pens before for me. Other than that, the only thing that can get through the unfertilized cacti are Bearger and the Tiger Shark.

Just now, TeoSS69 said:

I don't know that, but I've had great results with Prime Apes, which have gone through completely walled pens before for me. Other than that, the only thing that can get through the unfertilized cacti are Bearger and the Tiger Shark.

have you found it to work with doydoys?

44 minutes ago, stl1234 said:

People keep saying this, but I've never had this problem (in Vanilla, RoG or SW). Are your dens too small?

Do you mean the area of the pen is small, or the walls are too thin? From my experience, the DoyDoys probably don't care how large the area of the pen is because they like to walk continuously into one tiny corner anyway :p As for the thickness of the walls, I'm not sure. Usually I surround my DoyDoys with Sandbags, because I don't want puddles, and by extension Poison Mosquitoes, to get trapped in the pen with them. They can pass through Sandbags easily once they bunch up and start mating in the corner, causing the nests or other DoyDoys to push one out. Surrounding that layers of sandbags with stone walls might work better but I haven't tried that yet. Honestly I find it useful when one gets out because it gives me an excuse to periodically kill one for resources. 

7 hours ago, Daggaroth said:

Do you mean the area of the pen is small, or the walls are too thin? From my experience, the DoyDoys probably don't care how large the area of the pen is because they like to walk continuously into one tiny corner anyway :p As for the thickness of the walls, I'm not sure. Usually I surround my DoyDoys with Sandbags, because I don't want puddles, and by extension Poison Mosquitoes, to get trapped in the pen with them. They can pass through Sandbags easily once they bunch up and start mating in the corner, causing the nests or other DoyDoys to push one out. Surrounding that layers of sandbags with stone walls might work better but I haven't tried that yet. Honestly I find it useful when one gets out because it gives me an excuse to periodically kill one for resources. 

I meant the area, since the new birds push out the old ones. Despite them bunching up in corners, I've never seen any get out of my single layer stone walls. They do however, get onto the ocean. Here is how my pen looks like (complete with a puddle that spawned on the ocean):

20160411193806_1.jpg

8 hours ago, Daggaroth said:

Don't use sandbags as pens, they don't work the same way as normal walls and animals will pass through them eventually. Surround the DoyDoys with normal walls first, then put sandbags around the walls to keep puddles out. If you're using the edge of island as part of a wall, don't forget to put sandbags by the water tiles too as puddles will spawn in the water and spread into the pen, spawning mosquitoes.

7 hours ago, stl1234 said:

I've never seen any get out of my single layer stone walls

7 hours ago, oCrapaCreeper said:

Don't use sandbags as pens, they don't work the same way as normal walls and animals will pass through them eventually

I think my issue was simply related to sandbags. I only started having problems once I switched to using just sandbags to save some effort; previously I used a layer of stone walls surrounded by sandbags. Thanks for the advice and explanation guys :) I will switch back to using both.

As for putting them adjacent to the ocean, I'm assuming that's so you can easily sail in?

Yes, I keep these walled areas adjacent to ocean for wildlife that needs to be contained (apes, dragoons, doydoys), and keep a log raft nearby to use as a gate. I dislike having to break down walls, and in SW case, easy to renew walls (hay/wood) do not survive strong winds, so they are not really viable option anyway.

15 minutes ago, stl1234 said:

do not survive strong winds, so they are not really viable option anyway.

Have you heard about our lords and saviors, Moleworm Burrows?

Pretty sure you can still use Berry Bushes as biased gates.

Archived