The Quaken has some glaring issues that need to be adressed

On multiple levels. I've fought the Quaken multiple times now, as both Wilson and Maxwell, and I've noticed quite some large problems balance wise.

First of all, It is easily the most pathetic boss in the game. It relies on its tentacles that are easily dodged and killed, and its head has no melee attack at all you can can just mindlessly swing at it. On top of that, it doesn't follow you. If you don't want to fight it all you have to do is boat a few screens away and it despawns. It's also a problem when you're trying to fight it, because sometimes after it goes back into the ocean to change position, it gets too far away and despawns before you can do anything.

Secondly, despite the fact that it's the easiest boss in the game, it has clearly some of the best loot of any boss. It has the chances for a walking cane, thulecite crown and armor, obsidian, and more. This is also problematic because there is no minimum day requirement to spawn it. The only restriction to its spawn time is that it has a 20 day cooldown after being killed. You can fight it and get its gear as soon as you can get a trawl net. The meta in Shipwrecked for the most successful playthrough is clearly to fight this thing as soon as possible, which can be as soon as day 1 if you're Wickerbottom, and easily within the first 5 days as any other character assuming you can find gold and have a have a decent amount of trawl nets.

First time I killed it I was Wilson, and really all I did was dodge the tentacles and whack at it with a machete. No boat repair kits or armored boat, just a row boat with a thatch sail. Then, I tried rushing it as Maxwell today, I expected it to at least be difficult, but then I learned that Maxwell's shadow puppets aren't damaged by the Quaken's tentacles and don't take damage from waves, so literally all I had to do with get the Quaken's head on screen each time it popped out of the water, click on it to tell the shadows to attack it, then just row away and let them do the work. Free walking cane and thucite crown for poor frail Maxwell by day 3. I assume this can be done with Abigail too.

Some suggestions:

1. Give the Quaken a melee attack. Have it bite you, blow you into tentacles, just something. You shouldn't be able to just swerve around the tentacles and proceed to just sit there and whack at it.  Also make it target other creatures so characters like Maxwell can't kill it by just looking at it.

2. Make it grab you with a tentacle and pull you back in if you get out of range. The Quaken was shown being able to grab you in the trailer, so why not? We already have a boss that is capable of controlling your movement (sealnado) so I don't think this would be a drastic mechanic to add, probably some new tentacle animations though. At the very least make it follow you by constantly re-submerging to make sure it stays within range. It shouldn't despawn, period. No other boss in the game does that with exception of giants when their corresponding season ends. 

3. Give it a minimum day count before it can spawn. At least day 25. Its loot is just too good to be acquired that early. 

TC0PRcG.jpg

Honestly there's a lot wrong with SW at the moment. One is balance and another is luck. I'd love it this boss was buffed and had guareteed loot. (If not the previously suggested quackering ram, maybe even just craft he walking cane with its beak?) As for luck, it's a bit much. ie getting full thulicite from the quacken / dug up chest / slot machine, finding the volcano / yaarctopus / slot machine, finding an amazing island (the most rediculous I've recently come across is an island with 70-100 mushrooms..) and such. Yeah it makes the gameplay vary, but... It's like getting boon after boon. It's not fun if I get handed all the good stuff for little to no work :p things like finding the dumbrella in a chest at sea. Completely just eliminated me fighting the tiger shark. Well I suppose I could fight it for the eyes to help find the volcano before day 100 one of these days (>_>) 

Thing is Quacken isn't really a boss. Its closer to a Varg.

You go trawling to get resources, find an enemy that can give some great loot but it requires a fight.

However, Quacken is a joke. 

It despawns like a coward, aims like an idiot(and it has 3 eyes. If you can aim well with 2, 3 eyes would let you aim even better), doesn't use its tentacles on you despite you being right in front of it, in clear sight, and it flailing the tentacles around, and has a beak that is large enough to eat you in one bite, yet it doesn't use it. 

5 hours ago, ImDaMisterL said:

I feel like the buff Klei and CAPY did to the Quacken... wasn't much of a buff at all...

I disagree, it was made 3 times as hard. Previously I had to swerve once to get to the head. After the patch I had to swerve 3 times to get to the head.

15 hours ago, AnonymousKoala said:

Thing is Quacken isn't really a boss. Its closer to a Varg.

You go trawling to get resources, find an enemy that can give some great loot but it requires a fight.

However, Quacken is a joke. 

It despawns like a coward, aims like an idiot(and it has 3 eyes. If you can aim well with 2, 3 eyes would let you aim even better), doesn't use its tentacles on you despite you being right in front of it, in clear sight, and it flailing the tentacles around, and has a beak that is large enough to eat you in one bite, yet it doesn't use it. 

Well, it is marked as an Epic Monster just like any other boss. White whale is already the counterpart to the Varg.

1 hour ago, AnonymousKoala said:

Where is it marked?

It functions like a varg more than a giant. 

In the files one of the tags Creatures can have is Epic. I guess it's so the game can determine what Music to play during the fight (either the normal fighting one or the EFS tracks) and Quacken got the Epic tag.

ALso i don't really fell like the Quacken is like a Varg again that's the job of the White Whale.

I think Quacken was supposed to be a sort of Ancient Guardian i mean just the fact that it drops it's loot in a similar fashion points towards that. However the problem is that it's just not enought of a threat to justify that position. That and the fact that it basicly breaks one of the big rules of any DS Gaint that being that Giants always dropped a bodypart what you can use for crafting yet Quacken got none.

TBH i feel like the CHest from the Deep should be removed from it and instead be replaced with something else that reflects the difficulty of the fight because the current drops are just to damn good for a boss that you can again kill day 1.

The Quaken ate me for breakfast... I am not a big battle player though. I prefer to get by- by well not fighting and just avoiding battles. I would rather avoid monkey's than kill them. If hounds arrive I run to pigs or swamps. I don't know I found the Quaken challenging! If you make it too hard then you put it beyond some players skills, too easy and those who are combat focused won't get enough of a challenge. Its hard to find a middle ground and balance things just right. I actually think that the Quaken is almost perfect- you are right though it does need some sort of attack for its head. 

19 minutes ago, Mr.P said:

In the files one of the tags Creatures can have is Epic. I guess it's so the game can determine what Music to play during the fight (either the normal fighting one or the EFS tracks) and Quacken got the Epic tag.

ALso i don't really fell like the Quacken is like a Varg again that's the job of the White Whale.

I think Quacken was supposed to be a sort of Ancient Guardian i mean just the fact that it drops it's loot in a similar fashion points towards that. However the problem is that it's just not enought of a threat to justify that position. That and the fact that it basicly breaks one of the big rules of any DS Gaint that being that Giants always dropped a bodypart what you can use for crafting yet Quacken got none.

TBH i feel like the CHest from the Deep should be removed from it and instead be replaced with something else that reflects the difficulty of the fight because the current drops are just to damn good for a boss that you can again kill day 1.

Sums it up well honestly

1 hour ago, LadyD said:

The Quaken ate me for breakfast... I am not a big battle player though. I prefer to get by- by well not fighting and just avoiding battles. I would rather avoid monkey's than kill them. If hounds arrive I run to pigs or swamps. I don't know I found the Quaken challenging! If you make it too hard then you put it beyond some players skills, too easy and those who are combat focused won't get enough of a challenge. Its hard to find a middle ground and balance things just right. I actually think that the Quaken is almost perfect- you are right though it does need some sort of attack for its head. 

This might sound rude, but just because you suck at fighting and the Quacken feels balanced to you since it isn't that difficult of a fight, doesn't mean the Quacken shouldn't be changed, if the Quaken, one of the easiest things to fight in the game, completely destroyed you, I can't imagine what the other bosses are like to you. Again, I apologize, but if I were you I'd really practice fighting more, this boss, as many people said, is a joke in every way except for its stupidly strong loot.

3 hours ago, LadyD said:

But... but... There isn't even any fighting with the Quacken, just hitting it with a stick until it dies.

Do you mind sharing the details of your experience?

8 hours ago, stl1234 said:

But... but... There isn't even any fighting with the Quacken, just hitting it with a stick until it dies.

Do you mind sharing the details of your experience?

First time I encountered Quaken I was in a the boat but no sail. I had never seen it and had no idea what to do except dodge. So I decided to hit the tentacles but the net result was my boat broke and I drowned. The second time I did it on purpose trying to get the key. I had a boat, a repair kit, a very nifty club made of  thulicite. I dodged, weaved trying to use my club but my boat gave out. I was wearing a life jacket and woke up on a whole new island with all my lovely kit gone. 
Third time I met him I had an armoured boat, a thulicite crown. An obsidian axe- three boat repair kits and determination. I burnt through all the kits but I did kill the Quaken without taking 'personal' damage. I find that when fighting him its my not health that suffers- its my boat. 
Like I said I am not much of a fighter, I play to relax and fighting is opposite of relaxation XD. 

10 hours ago, Serph said:

Problem with Quaken is that he is the only water exclusive boss (The others can be fought on land) in a game where water combat is kinda bad, not much can be done to it.

This. A thousand times this. If you have to change anything, nerf the loot.

4 hours ago, LadyD said:

First time I encountered Quaken I was in a the boat but no sail. I had never seen it and had no idea what to do except dodge. So I decided to hit the tentacles but the net result was my boat broke and I drowned. The second time I did it on purpose trying to get the key. I had a boat, a repair kit, a very nifty club made of  thulicite. I dodged, weaved trying to use my club but my boat gave out. I was wearing a life jacket and woke up on a whole new island with all my lovely kit gone. 
Third time I met him I had an armoured boat, a thulicite crown. An obsidian axe- three boat repair kits and determination. I burnt through all the kits but I did kill the Quaken without taking 'personal' damage. I find that when fighting him its my not health that suffers- its my boat. 
Like I said I am not much of a fighter, I play to relax and fighting is opposite of relaxation XD. 

Aaahhhh, now its all clear. You focused on the wrong aspect.

Its more of a bullet hell(Not really but that's the easiest comparison), combined with a squishy weak point(the head).

So dodge waves, look for the head symbol in the map(also why its a good idea to trawl for him in circles, so you would have a certain radius to see the map markers when it does spawn), and hit it until it dies.

Also get a sail. If you can trawl you can make as much as a thatch sail. 

I feel like I don't need to cover the loot ideas, since you guys seem to already have great ideas for it, but I have a few other suggestions involving the Quacken and its fight.

First off, summoning the Quacken doesn't have any dramatic feel to it. I think we should probably summon the Quacken by playing the dripple pipes in deep waters. The Quacken responding to the dripple pipes will probably occur rarely, but when it happens, the dripple pipes's normally light rain will become a raging storm, similar to the storms in hurricane season. Dripple pipes take a while to craft if playing legit, so this can solve the issue with Quacken fights at day 1. Plus, we get a dramatic stormy atmosphere to fit the mood.

Now, on to the suggestions involving the fight...

1. Change the tentacle behavior: Aside from wiggling around and summoning big waves, I don't think the tentacles really pose a major threat. Maybe if they had slightly more health and their attack range was much longer, I would take them more seriously, especially since the tentacles' lengths are as long/tall as the Tiger Shark standing on two legs.

The attack range the tentacles should have:

QuackenTentacleDistance.png

Heck, why not change the tentacle behaviors entirely? Remember the birchnut treeguards? They'll try to attack by using their roots as a makeshift tentacle to strike you with, and the tentacles will be aimed at you (you'll see where it'll pop out by the shifting dirt). Well, while you attack the Quacken's head or it's tentacles, what if one of the Quacken's tentacles will descend into the water and try to home in on you and strike? You'll see the shadow of the tentacle that's following you, and where it'll end up. To make things more challenging, what if multiple tentacles at random times would sink into the water just to chase you down? To make things even MORE challenging, whatever tentacle you take down will regenerate and come back after a few seconds.

2. Change the Quacken head behavior: Let me get this out of the way and say that the Quacken has too little health. How about 5,000 health? This would make it submerge after every 1,000 hits. Anyway, the Quacken seems to just spend most it's time screeching, and if its not busy filling the ocean with it's call, it'll try to shoot ink bombs at you, but since the aim is so bad, you'll rarely get hit by any of the blasts. I'm not going to talk about the obvious suggestion and say that it needs a melee attack, but since it spends its time shrieking so much, what if it makes a powerful shriek when you get too close to it (it does nothing at all when you're up close to the head), and the yell was powerful enough to push you a good distance away from it (about the distance from the head to the tentacle farthest from it)? There'll be a cool-down time between powerful shrieks and it'd only be affective when up close, so there would still be a chance to hurt the Quacken. Even then, getting pushed back a lot would be disorienting, and it'll probably lead to you getting hit by one of it's tentacles. Keeping the regenerating tentacles in mind, that'll be a pain.  As for it's ink bomb attacks, make the Quacken a sharp shooter. With one of the three ink bombs launched by the Quacken being aimed more directly at you, it'll be more likely that you'll get hit by one of the ink blasts. To make matters worse, what if the ink patches were not only sticky, but they were also acidic? This would mean that sailing across the ink patches would not only slow your ship down, but DAMAGE it as well. The damage taken in the ink patches would be like the health decrease when catching fire, but it's your ship that's getting hurt instead. If the ink bombs functioned this way, getting hit by one of them would be a real punishment. 

3. Have the Quacken chase you: It sems a bit absurd that this fearsome beast is not very bloodthirsty for whatever character you're playing as, considering the fact that it wrecked many ships in it's past days. Wouldn't it be more dramatic if sailing too far from the Quacken will have it submerge into the ocean and chase you with it's head in the water and tentacles homing? In order to get the head back out, you'll have to attack one of the tentacles that pop out and try to harm you. Then, the rest of the Quacken will resurface to continue the fight. What if you reach an island? Will the Quacken go away? No, it has the ink bomb attack. While you're on land, the Quacken would constantly bombard you with ink bombs, and if any of the ink bombs land on a structure, it'll get smashed to pieces. If we keep the idea that the ink bombs' residue are acidic, then say good-bye to your plants! How will you keep the Quacken away? It won't go away. At least, not while the dripple pipes's storm is still raging. As long as it's raining, the Quacken will not go away, but once the weather is calm, it'll make a distinct shrieking sound and descend into the ocean, ending its rampage.

That's all the suggestions I have for Quacken buffs, and I think they'd certainly make the Quacken a much more formidable foe. What do you guys think? Would these buffs make the Quacken live up to it's reputation, or do you think it'd still be an easy foe to kill, even with all these new changes?

Unnecessary Fun Fact: The Quacken has at most, 45 tentacles

Another issue (though a minor one) is that this bubble appears when the Quacken screeches and gets hurt. It's very out of place: QuackenScreech.png

6 hours ago, DangWoodchuck said:

I feel like I don't need to cover the loot ideas, since you guys seem to already have great ideas for it, but I have a few other suggestions involving the Quacken and its fight.

First off, summoning the Quacken doesn't have any dramatic feel to it. I think we should probably summon the Quacken by playing the dripple pipes in deep waters. The Quacken responding to the dripple pipes will probably occur rarely, but when it happens, the dripple pipes's normally light rain will become a raging storm, similar to the storms in hurricane season. Dripple pipes take a while to craft if playing legit, so this can solve the issue with Quacken fights at day 1. Plus, we get a dramatic stormy atmosphere to fit the mood.

Now, on to the suggestions involving the fight...

1. Change the tentacle behavior: Aside from wiggling around and summoning big waves, I don't think the tentacles really pose a major threat. Maybe if they had slightly more health and their attack range was much longer, I would take them more seriously, especially since the tentacles' lengths are as long/tall as the Tiger Shark standing on two legs.

The attack range the tentacles should have:

QuackenTentacleDistance.png

Heck, why not change the tentacle behaviors entirely? Remember the birchnut treeguards? They'll try to attack by using their roots as a makeshift tentacle to strike you with, and the tentacles will be aimed at you (you'll see where it'll pop out by the shifting dirt). Well, while you attack the Quacken's head or it's tentacles, what if one of the Quacken's tentacles will descend into the water and try to home in on you and strike? You'll see the shadow of the tentacle that's following you, and where it'll end up. To make things more challenging, what if multiple tentacles at random times would sink into the water just to chase you down? To make things even MORE challenging, whatever tentacle you take down will regenerate and come back after a few seconds.

2. Change the Quacken head behavior: Let me get this out of the way and say that the Quacken has too little health. How about 5,000 health? This would make it submerge after every 1,000 hits. Anyway, the Quacken seems to just spend most it's time screeching, and if its not busy filling the ocean with it's call, it'll try to shoot ink bombs at you, but since the aim is so bad, you'll rarely get hit by any of the blasts. I'm not going to talk about the obvious suggestion and say that it needs a melee attack, but since it spends its time shrieking so much, what if it makes a powerful shriek when you get too close to it (it does nothing at all when you're up close to the head), and the yell was powerful enough to push you a good distance away from it (about the distance from the head to the tentacle farthest from it)? There'll be a cool-down time between powerful shrieks and it'd only be affective when up close, so there would still be a chance to hurt the Quacken. Even then, getting pushed back a lot would be disorienting, and it'll probably lead to you getting hit by one of it's tentacles. Keeping the regenerating tentacles in mind, that'll be a pain.  As for it's ink bomb attacks, make the Quacken a sharp shooter. With one of the three ink bombs launched by the Quacken being aimed more directly at you, it'll be more likely that you'll get hit by one of the ink blasts. To make matters worse, what if the ink patches were not only sticky, but they were also acidic? This would mean that sailing across the ink patches would not only slow your ship down, but DAMAGE it as well. The damage taken in the ink patches would be like the health decrease when catching fire, but it's your ship that's getting hurt instead. If the ink bombs functioned this way, getting hit by one of them would be a real punishment. 

3. Have the Quacken chase you: It sems a bit absurd that this fearsome beast is not very bloodthirsty for whatever character you're playing as, considering the fact that it wrecked many ships in it's past days. Wouldn't it be more dramatic if sailing too far from the Quacken will have it submerge into the ocean and chase you with it's head in the water and tentacles homing? In order to get the head back out, you'll have to attack one of the tentacles that pop out and try to harm you. Then, the rest of the Quacken will resurface to continue the fight. What if you reach an island? Will the Quacken go away? No, it has the ink bomb attack. While you're on land, the Quacken would constantly bombard you with ink bombs, and if any of the ink bombs land on a structure, it'll get smashed to pieces. If we keep the idea that the ink bombs' residue are acidic, then say good-bye to your plants! How will you keep the Quacken away? It won't go away. At least, not while the dripple pipes's storm is still raging. As long as it's raining, the Quacken will not go away, but once the weather is calm, it'll make a distinct shrieking sound and descend into the ocean, ending its rampage.

That's all the suggestions I have for Quacken buffs, and I think they'd certainly make the Quacken a much more formidable foe. What do you guys think? Would these buffs make the Quacken live up to it's reputation, or do you think it'd still be an easy foe to kill, even with all these new changes?

Unnecessary Fun Fact: The Quacken has at most, 45 tentacles

Another issue (though a minor one) is that this bubble appears when the Quacken screeches and gets hurt. It's very out of place: QuackenScreech.png

I can't see how dripple pipes are cooler honestly. It still is a boss YOU summon, which means you will attempt to do so, thus eliminating the "coolness" of it. 

The tentacles thing is nice.

I disagree with such a huge buff because of the dull loot pool. It need to be not as easy as it is, but the loot needs to work correctly.

I mean, thulecite set, cane, etc. are good, sure, but the ancient Guardian supplied you with a bigger variety of such loot. If Quacken had access to all the ruins stuff(Or at least most of them) and or some unrenewable things, people would still kill it.

Its like why people(usually) don't kill Whales that much anymore. They're not worth it. What they give you is very limited and can be obtained more easily, bloating is horrible because of the way the game handles time, melee combat on whales is less good, and ranged is just boring.

1 hour ago, AnonymousKoala said:

I can't see how dripple pipes are cooler honestly. It still is a boss YOU summon, which means you will attempt to do so, thus eliminating the "coolness" of it. 

I disagree with such a huge buff because of the dull loot pool. It need to be not as easy as it is, but the loot needs to work correctly.

I mean, thulecite set, cane, etc. are good, sure, but the ancient Guardian supplied you with a bigger variety of such loot. If Quacken had access to all the ruins stuff(Or at least most of them) and or some unrenewable things, people would still kill it.

Its like why people(usually) don't kill Whales that much anymore. They're not worth it. What they give you is very limited and can be obtained more easily, bloating is horrible because of the way the game handles time, melee combat on whales is less good, and ranged is just boring.

I was thinking of items that needed more use, and I then thought of the dripple pipes. Since it is a magical instrument, and the point of summoning the Quacken is to try and wake it up, I thought that a musical instrument that can cause storms would be a bit interesting. Another idea I have is that it has a small chance to appear whenever a large explosion is made in deep waters. Honestly, I think that trawling is a bit of an odd way to wake up a giant squid monster. so I was trying to think of some way of summoning that would set up the mood (cause a storm)/be something that would be able to wake up a giant monster (a loud explosion). What suggestions do you have for summoning/encountering the Quacken?

I didn't want to talk about the loot, considering that everyone else is doing that for me, and I don't want to repeat what everyone else says. I guess I'll give my thoughts on the loot, now. I like the idea of items unique to the Quacken, whether it be a powerful weapon, unique ship tool/s, etc., but I'm not going to mention any body part items like a Quacken beak/bill, since the Quacken doesn't seem to die as much as it is retreating. 

If the Quacken were to drop unique items, I think it'd be cool if it dropped some sort of magical item within the Chest of the Depths that, when combined with the Eye of the Tiger Shark and the Magic Seal, would create a turret that can be placed both on land (like the Houndius Shootius) and also on water. Instead of just firing energy balls, it'd launch a magical homing cannonball at its target, doing more damage than the Houndius Shootius would. The nerf is that its reload time between shots would be slightly longer. Since the Quacken would be a rare and hard-as-nails boss with the buffs I suggested, I don't see making an infinite amount of turrets being a quick and easy possibility. 

If a turret is not your thing/its too useless to you, I think it'd be a great idea if it dropped an item that'd allow you to restore one of the broken ships. Once one is restored, you can sail on it on high speeds, have extra storage room (like the cargo boat), and have tons of boat health (I'm thinking 800-1,000). The benefits from the boat will vary depending on what boat you choose to restore, from the ordinary broken ships to the named ones. The named ships might also get more benefits, like a separate slot for a cannon and a lantern, but this might be too broken. Do you have any ideas for unique items that the Quacken should drop?

Just now, DangWoodchuck said:

I was thinking of items that needed more use, and I then thought of the dripple pipes. Since it is a magical instrument, and the point of summoning the Quacken is to try and wake it up, I thought that a musical instrument that can cause storms would be a bit interesting. Another idea I have is that it has a small chance to appear whenever a large explosion is made in deep waters. Honestly, I think that trawling is a bit of an odd way to wake up a giant squid monster. so I was trying to think of some way of summoning that would set up the mood (cause a storm)/be something that would be able to wake up a giant monster (a loud explosion). What suggestions do you have for summoning/encountering the Quacken?

I didn't want to talk about the loot, considering that everyone else is doing that for me, and I don't want to repeat what everyone else says. I guess I'll give my thoughts on the loot, now. I like the idea of items unique to the Quacken, whether it be a powerful weapon, unique ship tool/s, etc., but I'm not going to mention any body part items like a Quacken beak/bill, since the Quacken doesn't seem to die as much as it is retreating. 

If the Quacken were to drop unique items, I think it'd be cool if it dropped some sort of magical item within the Chest of the Depths that, when combined with the Eye of the Tiger Shark and the Magic Seal, would create a turret that can be placed both on land (like the Houndius Shootius) and also on water. Instead of just firing energy balls, it'd launch a magical homing cannonball at its target, doing more damage than the Houndius Shootius would. The nerf is that its reload time between shots would be slightly longer. Since the Quacken would be a rare and hard-as-nails boss with the buffs I suggested, I don't see making an infinite amount of turrets being a quick and easy possibility. 

If a turret is not your thing/its too useless to you, I think it'd be a great idea if it dropped an item that'd allow you to restore one of the broken ships. Once one is restored, you can sail on it on high speeds, have extra storage room (like the cargo boat), and have tons of boat health (I'm thinking 800-1,000). The benefits from the boat will vary depending on what boat you choose to restore, from the ordinary broken ships to the named ones. The named ships might also get more benefits, like a separate slot for a cannon and a lantern, but this might be too broken. Do you have any ideas for unique items that the Quacken should drop?

And singing to make it rain is a non weird way to summon a giant squid monster because?

I suggested some time ago that the chest of the depths would contain unique loot only obtainable from it, that belonged to old sailors. Say, a ghost ship, that exists for as long as a pirate hat gained from the chest is worn. When the hat reaches 0% durability, so will the boat. Until then it'll be an incredibly strong ship.

Restoring broken ships would be just Kreygasm. I want this. 

4 hours ago, AnonymousKoala said:

Yup, you said it. Random items are the worst loot a boss can give. They need something exclusive to be worth killing. Harpoons are amazing for taking down beehives, even killer bee ones if you're Wolfgang or Wigfrid. But then it loses its value when you go into late game, when most of the beehives are now wooden and in your base. 

You see, what they should've done is made the blubber a fuel for lanterns, or a fire-based lantern that is fuelled exclusively by blubber. That would've made whales worth killing later on.

Even with the ancient guardian, you're probably never going to use the magic items. The only item from the chests that is good is the thelucite crown, because that's vaguely useful for tanking. But the ancient guardian also drops 8 meat and a horn, which can be used to craft a gobbler-destroyer. So he's still worth killing whenever you get the chance.

But the quacken drops nothing exclusive. Even the booty bag can be gotten very early on from buried treasure, and the walking cane from the slot machine. Sure, thelucite gear is good, but as I said before the crown is the only useful one unless you want some free sanity regen from the suit.

If we gave Quacken his own drop (other than the key) then he'd be worth buffing. But right now, he doesn't seem worth the effort. 

I'm pretty sure you don't even kill the Quacken. He just goes back underwater. Maybe he gives you the chest of the deep as a bribe to stop disturbing him, or as a reward for being a close match for such a powerful creature.

46 minutes ago, DeputyDeath said:

Yup, you said it. Random items are the worst loot a boss can give. They need something exclusive to be worth killing. Harpoons are amazing for taking down beehives, even killer bee ones if you're Wolfgang or Wigfrid. But then it loses its value when you go into late game, when most of the beehives are now wooden and in your base. 

You see, what they should've done is made the blubber a fuel for lanterns, or a fire-based lantern that is fuelled exclusively by blubber. That would've made whales worth killing later on.

Even with the ancient guardian, you're probably never going to use the magic items. The only item from the chests that is good is the thelucite crown, because that's vaguely useful for tanking. But the ancient guardian also drops 8 meat and a horn, which can be used to craft a gobbler-destroyer. So he's still worth killing whenever you get the chance.

But the quacken drops nothing exclusive. Even the booty bag can be gotten very early on from buried treasure, and the walking cane from the slot machine. Sure, thelucite gear is good, but as I said before the crown is the only useful one unless you want some free sanity regen from the suit.

If we gave Quacken his own drop (other than the key) then he'd be worth buffing. But right now, he doesn't seem worth the effort. 

I'm pretty sure you don't even kill the Quacken. He just goes back underwater. Maybe he gives you the chest of the deep as a bribe to stop disturbing him, or as a reward for being a close match for such a powerful creature.

Random loot works if it has enough value and enough variety. However, its not the only thing that works. I mean, the random loot is an extra reward from Guardian, not the reason you actually take him down.

Suit is the best out of the armors that abosrb 95% of damage, but I don't really use the club.

Powerful creature though? He runs away. He's afraid of you haha

16 minutes ago, AnonymousKoala said:

Random loot works if it has enough value and enough variety. However, its not the only thing that works. I mean, the random loot is an extra reward from Guardian, not the reason you actually take him down.

Suit is the best out of the armors that abosrb 95% of damage, but I don't really use the club.

Powerful creature though? He runs away. He's afraid of you haha

The running away seems to be a way of baiting you into more tentacles.

Anyway, the problem with armour is that you have 96% protection with a log suit and football helmet. You take so little damage from literally anything that any 'better' armour types make little difference. I only use a football helmet nowadays because 80% protection is more than I ever need when I'll restore the health whenever I eat anyway. The only exceptions are scalemail for fighting the dragonfly and the thelucite crown for tanking large groups of enemies with the forcefield active.

Now, regarding random items. It's hard to strike a balance between giving the player too much good stuff at once and giving them a bunch of almost worthless crap. For example, when you kill the ancient guardian you get a bunch of deceptively useless items, or at least you probably will never use them unless it's for the sake of wearing them down. The worst thing is that they're tools and gear rather than raw materials, which makes them far less useful later on than if you just got the materials needed to make it. But if you made it drop loads and loads of thelucite and gems, it'd just be far too powerful and would make the gear too easy to get.

The quacken has the same problem. I doubt anyone is going to destroy a thelucite crown and suit within 20 days, right? So then you just end up with piles and piles of top-tier armour that sits there gathering dust. Not to mention the numerous booty bags and chests of the deep that will be lying around.

I'd seriously rather that the Quacken would drop something other than the walking cane and booty bag too. The booty bag would be a great craftable item using a shadow manipulator (e.g. 5 blue/red gems, 20 dubloons and some boards), and I personally believe that the walking cane functions best as a random slot machine drop because it makes it unlikely that you'll end up with more than one. Maybe, like the dragonfly in DST, the Quacken could drop a bunch of gold, gems and trinkets instead.

Archived