Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Please be aware that the content of this thread may be outdated and no longer applicable.

sirscrubbingtont

Your opinion on Walani and Warly.

Recommended Posts

Lets be honest, Walani and Warly are the least played SW characters, can you guys explain me why they both aren't played alot?

Warly had potential and was a pretty good character pre nerf, his nerf added some nerfs (ofcourse), and 4 recipes. The recipes weren't even good. They recipes could buff Warly in some ways like extra damage.

 

As for Walani I have no idea, because I have never played her before.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
PhelsarusBeel    3,996

I said it a few times now but for Warly i would love that he gets different benefits from Crockpot meals. My idea was that the buffs start out small like say eating 1 Fishdish gives you a 5% increase in Walkingspeed (Walking Cane is 25%) but for each additional Fishfood you eat this bonus stacks (and maybe caps at around 30%). Obviously the Buffs would vanish or at least get reduced if you trigger his picky eater perk (like say you loose 10% or 15% of the buff for each time it triggers).

This would encourage you to go and hunt for more Ingrediences to keep his buffs going and try to not trigger his Picky eater perk so you can get stronger over time.

For Walani well i was playing around with some Ideas and i might got something. Given her below average Health (120) she seems to be a char that's more suited for being fast and having better dodging chances. My idea would be to raise her speed by maybe 20-25% so she's above all others in terms of speed. This would compliment her Surfboard but would also make her good in RoG worlds because of her faster runningspeed you can cover a lot more ground. Additionally I liked the idea of giving her a Skateboard for RoG similar to her Surfboard in SW. This could maybe be equipted to the Chestslot (to choose between faster speed or a Backpack) and could provide a further Speedboost.

Basicly i feel like Walani would make a great Scouttype character who uses speed to her advantage instead of just using raw power to kill her enemys (death of a thousand cuts). And with a boost to her basespeed she would actually be useful in RoG even if she doesn't get the Skateboard (i always prefer faster running).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
AnonymousKoala    3,635
25 minutes ago, Mr.P said:

I said it a few times now but for Warly i would love that he gets different benefits from Crockpot meals. My idea was that the buffs start out small like say eating 1 Fishdish gives you a 5% increase in Walkingspeed (Walking Cane is 25%) but for each additional Fishfood you eat this bonus stacks (and maybe caps at around 30%). Obviously the Buffs would vanish or at least get reduced if you trigger his picky eater perk (like say you loose 10% or 15% of the buff for each time it triggers).

This would encourage you to go and hunt for more Ingrediences to keep his buffs going and try to not trigger his Picky eater perk so you can get stronger over time.

For Walani well i was playing around with some Ideas and i might got something. Given her below average Health (120) she seems to be a char that's more suited for being fast and having better dodging chances. My idea would be to raise her speed by maybe 20-25% so she's above all others in terms of speed. This would compliment her Surfboard but would also make her good in RoG worlds because of her faster runningspeed you can cover a lot more ground. Additionally I liked the idea of giving her a Skateboard for RoG similar to her Surfboard in SW. This could maybe be equipted to the Chestslot (to choose between faster speed or a Backpack) and could provide a further Speedboost.

Basicly i feel like Walani would make a great Scouttype character who uses speed to her advantage instead of just using raw power to kill her enemys (death of a thousand cuts). And with a boost to her basespeed she would actually be useful in RoG even if she doesn't get the Skateboard (i always prefer faster running).

^^^This.

Nobody plays Walani(almost) because she has nothing to offer. Better early game exploration and...Wait, no and. That's it. Her other "perks" are useless.

Watly is boring. He can be played as a challange(while this is not the efficient way), or he can be played as a very cheap character, and his perks aren't that big honestly, they exist to work with his disadventages, not the other way around. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
TeoSS69    2,204

Post ended up too long for my tastes.

 

Spoiler

 

26 minutes ago, sirscrubbingtont said:

can you guys explain me why they both aren't played alot?

Because they're literally the worse Characters you can play as. (Wilson and Wes are special snowflakes)

Walani :

  • Surfboard : Only any good at the beginning. Wickerbottom's Day 1 Row Boat + Thatch Sail, and Woodlegs' 'Sea Legs' are both better starting Boats. I've seen people argue that it's good later on because you don't have to go back to where you parked it to leave the island; maybe some day those people will discover Coffee Plants.
  • 20% Faster Drying, 10% Less Sanity loss : Whoopty Doo.
  • Ride Big Waves : Only limited to Surfboard.
  • 1 Sanity per Wave ridden : 5 per Flower or Seashell picked.
  • 5-7x speed boost from Waves : Lasts too short, deceleration makes it worthless. (Also seems to be a top speed that can be reached on a boat.)

Warly :

  • Chef Pouch : No one cared when the Insulated Pack was introduced. No one cares now. Also using it means you give up the 45% speed boost of the Magiluminescence and Sleek Hat.
  • Portable Crockpot  :You can craft a Crock Pot in every island, if your really care about being a nomad, to achieve the same result with any other Character. Exclusive recipes are nothing to write home about. Also can't craft more than one, which means you have to wait for each individual meal to finish cooking to cook another one.
  • 33% more Sanity and Health from Meals : Meanwhile Wigfrid, Willow and Maxwell all have great Sanity regen, in addition to being better characters. Wilbur can keep eating Bananas for Sanity, and Webber has infinite Spider Glands. Bisque is also a thing that exists, if every other food giving back health wasn't enough for some.

I didn't touch on their drawbacks because I don't think it's necessary when their "advantages" are what they are.

 

40 minutes ago, Mr.P said:

Obviously the Buffs would vanish or at least get reduced if you trigger his picky eater perk

The "picky eater" thing wouldn't need to be implemented at all since players would want to eat different foods by themselves to get different bonuses. All that Warly needs to be great is the perks per meal that everyone says. Too bad the devs only listened to the "Warly is op" folk.

 

42 minutes ago, Mr.P said:

My idea would be to raise her speed

I don't think we need a 4th character with a speed bonus. Especially with Coffee and all the other speed boosts in the mix. Walani needs something unique that you can't do with others. I would love if she had some cool powerful perk revolving around staying wet, like Wolfgang's revolves around staying well fed and Mawell's close to insanity.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
PhelsarusBeel    3,996
9 minutes ago, TeoSS69 said:

I don't think we need a 4th character with a speed bonus. Especially with Coffee and all the other speed boosts in the mix. Walani needs something unique that you can't do with others. I would love if she had some cool powerful perk revolving around staying wet, like Wolfgang's revolves around staying well fed and Mawell's close to insanity.

While i do agree that this was mostly me comming up with something I don't feel like giving her something revolving around Wetness is so great either. Again one of the main criticisms of Walani is that she's useless when played in a Reign of Giants world so even if she gets boni from Wetness that would still only really help her in 1 out of 4 Seasons.

I was mostly thinking Speed because again she seems to be a great explorer type character however she only really gets a big exploration bonus when in a SW world becuase of her Surfboard so a Speedboost would benefit her in both worlds because she can map out Islands faster as well as finding stuff in RoG faster.

Also if she would get above average speed she could reach the highest speed out of any character or at least be able to rival Mighty Wolfgang in terms of basespeed (she could also gain a 33% Speedbuff what makes her the fastest of them all). Even then besides Mighty Wolfgang the other movement based chars have a slight dissadvantage since WX needs to get hit by lightning (what not always happens) and Wilbur needs to keep moving so he can't stop and pick something up.

That's also why i thought about a Skateboard for the Chestslot because this further helps her reach high speeds to cover a lot of ground early on before getting things like a Walking Cane or a Magnuliminescense or even just the Sleek Hat and Coffe.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
TeoSS69    2,204
27 minutes ago, Mr.P said:

only really help her in 1 out of 4 Seasons.

There are other ways to get wet without rain...even in RoG.

Still not sold on the speed thing. It's not really something unique. (WX-78 can be charged for a long time btw)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Gotheran    336

I liked the idea of Warly, as he presented a unique take on survival, and frankly in terms of uniqueness he's the 2nd best character in SW in my opinion, which isn't saying much. Wilbur takes the banana cream pie for first though. I would like to see a RoG port of Wilbur as I don't much care for what Shipwreck offers beyond him.

I threw a few ideas out for Walani to help her be less Beardless Wilson, but most of those suggestions weren't taken for the final product. One Suggestion was to allow her to use the board on dry land to plant it on the ground to use as a mobile Siesta-Leanto or Tent, perhaps even equip it in the weapon slot to work as a low damage starting weapon with infinite durability and maybe it would provide a small sanity buff while held, not to mention it frees up an inventory space otherwise wasted by the board. Another idea was to add swimming as a light mechanic to SW in general, with most characters needing a floatation device and Walani being able to swim without them (seriously what kind of surfer cant swim).

Quoted from me on my original Walani Post:

Spoiler

 

I'd like if she had significantly reduced penalties for wetness, such as slippery tools being less likely to, well, slip from her hands since she's used to the whole being wet thing, and significantly reduced if not totally removed sanity loss for wearing wet items, though it would be only fair if any dapperness her clothes had was lost until dry again.

 

It would make more sense as well in general to allow swimming in SW, there have been islands seperated by only a single tiles worth of water so why do I need to get my boat to get across? Or why should I put undue wear and tear on my fine vessel just to harvest some justoff shore goodies.

I haven't played in the last few updates so I don't know if they made Woodlegs less retarded on land, I recall he had a sanity drain I couldn't counter with even a dapper vest and top hat on land. I get he's a pirate and all but they don't go stir crazy on land, they do that at sea, If anything being on dry land should give a sanity buff based on time spent at sea, with it eventually ticking down into a penalty, and vice versa. Too much time spent in either territory would do him no favours. To add to this he should have some protection against such a penalty in the RoG/Base Game world since he won't have any water to sail on.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
TeoSS69    2,204
Just now, Gotheran said:

e had a sanity drain I couldn't counter with even a dapper vest and top hat on land.

Only at night time. His land sanity drain is 4.8/min. Dapper Vest and Top Hat give like 6.6/min. There's other ways to restore Sanity quickly though, which makes him far from "retarded". The RoG one is a shame though but it seems to be a theme among SW characters to suck in RoG.

As for the swimming, they made it so that there's Shadows dragging you down. It's a cheap excuse, but that's how they decided to roll with it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
PhelsarusBeel    3,996
Just now, TeoSS69 said:

There are other ways to get wet without rain...even in RoG.

Still not sold on the speed thing. It's not really something unique. (WX-78 can be charged for a long time btw)

You'r probably refering to the Iceblock what yes gives you wetness but i think if Walani gets something from Wetness it should not just cap at 25 points so it's usefull in RoG. Still though i also can't really see what benefit she could get from being Wet tbh. Some Mod characters had mechanics dedicated to wetness but even those didn't really win me over.

1 minute ago, Gotheran said:

It would make more sense as well in general to allow swimming in SW, there have been islands seperated by only a single tiles worth of water so why do I need to get my boat to get across? Or why should I put undue wear and tear on my fine vessel just to harvest some justoff shore goodies.

I think the reason swimming isn't a thing is because of the Deathanimation you get when drowning. Remember the shadows instantly pull you underwater if a character just touches the water. So I don't really see how swimming could be a thing at least from a Lore reason.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
TeoSS69    2,204
1 minute ago, Mr.P said:

You'r probably refering to the Iceblock what yes gives you wetness but i think if Walani gets something from Wetness it should not just cap at 25 points so it's usefull in RoG. Still though i also can't really see what benefit she could get from being Wet tbh. Some Mod characters had mechanics dedicated to wetness but even those didn't really win me over.

There's multiple ones that don't cap :

Spoiler

Telestaff, Dripple Pipes, melted Ice (OP)

As for what the advantage is I really don't know.  Haven't been able to come up with something... I'm sure the devs would come up with something, like Willow's freezing when low on sanity.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Gotheran    336

I'm aware of the Shadows thing, but I see no reason it has to be instantaneous, not to mention up till now they've only been able to bother the player when their sanity is low or they're in places of highly concentrated shadow energies like the Ruins. I don't see the oceans being very eldritch tbh. Still how do you drown in shallow water right next to an island? And why are the shadows able to instantly attack you when you hit the water? I don't much care for it, it is a lazy excuse. I can see WX not being able to but the others, eh I don't know how I feel about it, and even then if you wear the life vest how is it you get freed from the shadows clutches and end up on an island regardless of location when you "drown".

 

If I were Klei for a day, I'd redo alot but specifically with swimming in SW, I'd make it so shadows attacking is based on depth of the water your in, so shallow water would be almost perfectly safe but super deep water was a nearly instant death sentence, all characters besides Walani couldn't swim normally without a life vest, rather they could flail semi-helplessly on the surface for a few seconds before sinking giving you time to try and reboard your ship but not much. With a flotation device you'd have much more time in the water, with the possible exception of WX whom I've suggested his water based Damage penalty should also tie into his Upgrades buff so that if you become fully wet he shorts out for a portion of the day and loses a small but random selection of his present upgrades.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Chris1448    12,679
32 minutes ago, Gotheran said:

I would like to see a RoG port of Wilbur as I don't much care for what Shipwreck offers beyond him.

You can start a RoG world as any SW character (which is kinda redundant for Woodlegs and Walani for obvious reasons).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
AnonymousKoala    3,635
2 minutes ago, Chris1488 said:

You can start a RoG world as any SW character (which is kinda redundant for Woodlegs and Walani for obvious reasons).

Not redundant for Woodlegs though.

Lucky hat works in RoG, and is op as **** there too. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Chris1448    12,679
Just now, AnonymousKoala said:

Not redundant for Woodlegs though.

Lucky hat works in RoG, and is op as **** there too. 

At what cost.gif

You can't stop the sanity drain, you'll go insane within days.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
TeoSS69    2,204
3 minutes ago, Chris1488 said:

you'll go insane within days.

With all the ways to regain Sanity, don't think so.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Daggaroth    129
50 minutes ago, Chris1488 said:

You can't stop the sanity drain, you'll go insane within days.

The sanity drain is irritating, but thanks to the fact that the Reign of Giants world will have to be Shipwrecked compatible to support Woodlegs, all of the great sanity granting recipes from SW will be available even in RoG. If you find some ponds, you can fish to make Surf 'n' Turfs, and there is always Glommer to spoon at night.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
TeoSS69    2,204
5 minutes ago, Daggaroth said:

If you find some ponds, you can fish

Better yet :

Spoiler

Elephant Cacti around Rundown Houses.

I guess Surf'nTurf is much better in RoG thanks to Snow Chester keeping it fresh.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
oCrapaCreeper    3,004

They're both bad characters. Walani becomes irrelevant after a day or two and Warly is just not interesting at all and has minor benefits that become irrelevant later on. Between the two of them I'd play Warly. That doesn't meant I won't play the better characters over him though.

Overall I'm kinda disappointed with the characters in Shiprecked. Woodlegs is really the only good character. The rest have too many stat changes and not enough playstyle changes. We need more characters like Webber that flip the typical play style a different way. They had the chance to do that with Wilbur with the whole prime ape relationship, but he's only slightly better than Walani or Warly. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Daggaroth    129

As for Warly and Walani...

Warly: his advantages and disadvantages kind of just cancel each other out. Although Wolfgang has quick hunger loss, it comes with the advantage of a nice speed increase, lots of temporary health and damage that easily surpasses all other characters. It's worthwhile. With Wes, it's for the challenge. As for Walani, I'll come to that in a moment. Sure, he gets more sanity and health from the crockpot food, but other characters can just eat as much of any food as they need to top up all of their stats without feeling guilty that you're diminishing the effects of your favourite foods to nothingness.

Walani: her disadvantages of needing to eat more and having less health seem like they're just kind of ... there. In general, both her advantages and disadvantages are lacklustre and not that game changing. When I played as Walani to try out the surfboard (because a few people on the forums recommended it for exploration), it felt that it was too slow (and weak) and replaced it with an Armoured Boat and Sail as soon as I could. That just left the hunger loss, the sanity modifier, and drying off faster... they were all pretty unnoticeable, so after giving up the surfboard, I just felt like a beardless Wilson with less Health. Honestly, I was really bored :/

I could suggest possible improvements, but many forum members have already suggestions suitable changes.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
stl1234    284

Characters areas good as the unique experience they can provide. Warly can be played with very minor modification to Wilson game play. He doesn't have any significant advantages to allow a new model of game play, nor does he have enough disadvantages to be a challenge character. This can be improved by either giving him more advantages from food, like other people suggested, and/or making his food memory last 4-5 days. If both are done, he will change the game play to be around specific food advantages and how to optimize them with the penalties of eating the same thing. If only food advantages are added, he becomes a strong character with no significant downside. If only the food memory is expanded, he becomes a challenge character. Either way, he'll be unique enough to provide a different experience than other characters.

Walani has seemingly minor advantages, and it is not obvious how to utilize them to their maximum potential. But once that is figured out, she has a few interesting strategies which are not possible (or difficult) to achieve with other characters. She's exactly like Willow in this regard. However, there is nothing significantly game changing, as those strategies are very situational. I personally I don't think she needs a change, but I'd not be upset if the changes are made to make her more unique.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
AnonymousKoala    3,635
15 hours ago, Chris1488 said:

At what cost.gif

You can't stop the sanity drain, you'll go insane within days.

So?

Nightmare farming will be easier, and sanity management is always easy.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites