Tone down the Difficulty (Monsoon Season)

Some people already know whats coming.. ill say it anyway.

Monsoon Season is ridiculous and unfair, let me start of with this in Monsoon season you deal with Wetness,Rain,Floods/puddles, and sanity drain A LOT. On top of that add on those stupid random spawning mosquitoes that can poison you if you don't have the seashell suit oh and have i mentioned most of your base structure or science stuff don't work because of the flood? This season is unbearable it forces you and pushes you to the point where it wants you to be sad, frustrated and full of rage because of its nonsense. Because of so much rain and flood you need a light source like lanterns etc (not campfire) because the rain and wind basically blow it away so you now need to find the materials to get the other light source things, also on top of that you need clothing gear probably like 2-3 of each for head and body for things like wetness resistance,rain protection (umbrella), and to increase sanity.

Monsoon season also Puts a BIG HALT on your progression where you feel like you cant do much (explore and even scavenge sometimes), i was loaded with food but that didn't matter because of the flood ice chest gets disabled so its only used as storage so basically even if you have lots of food stocked half of them will end up spoiled/rotten, so even though you had lots of food the flood craps all over you and makes you get food again.

To sum it up it feels like you are an unarmed baby against an armed adult... yeah that sums it up. The Sad part is that Monsoon Season is not the only problem there are more like the meteor shower, Inventory management (another huge problem i have 21 chests on day 34 I'm not kidding) the inventory system needs to be upgraded because it does not work the way the standard don't starve or R.O.G works its a lot different therefore it needs an upgraded system specifically designed for Shipwrecked.

I love don't starve, R.O.G and even though i died like 30 times in each one i never felt like it was unfair because it had so many ways to counter these things and play styles and the difficulty was done correctly and properly where as Shipwrecked is a different story you can't protect your base from rain,puddles because there is no way to build roof structure, or something like the Science thing called Ice o flint (or something) that throws snowballs but except it sucks in all the puddles from an area( That is actually a good idea, call it Suck o suck or something... ignore the name..).

To end this here is my frustrating story that ended my play through (yeah it ended during monsoon season.. hmm..)  Soaked, Sanity very low, its raining my umbrella is almost degraded, i need to scavenge for more food and other resources for protection against wetness and sanity but i honestly don't think i can it feels chaotic in a way, umbrella degraded and I'm wet like the ocean, i go away from my base because its flooded and i try to find a dry place to light a campfire to dry myself (thankfully it wasn't raining or windy), i am now drying up, its 50 wetness now but wait oh here comes the hounds, ugh i gotta do this after, i run away from hounds and try to lead them to the pigs nearby as i dodge dozens of mosquitoes, after a while hounds are dead i go back to that dry place and light a campfire again, there is still flood around me, i continue to dry myself and then a mosquito spawns randomly in front of me and attacks me catching me off guard, i am now poisoned, its almost nighttime as well, i had 1 anti venom left and i said to myself "well good thing i was prepared", i use the anti venom, as i dry up i look at my hunger oh its pretty low i better eat something, i eat 2 meatballs and as i eat the 2nd meatball another mosquito spawns in front of me and catches me off guard again, i am now poisoned again, ME: "ARE YOU F******  KIDDING ME??", i killed the first mosquito literally 8 seconds at most before the second one came up. After seeing that, i stood there and let that F****** mosquito end my misery because i couldn't take it anymore.

Because of that experience now both in real life and in game i am gonna torture every single mosquito i come across, and erase them from this planet. 

P.S i know its early access i just hope they realize this problem this game is having.

EDIT: I Think i am at fault here, i was not prepared and there ARE ways to do something about it.  i guess the problem is you have to have absolute knowledge of at least 90% of the game which is a problem for players like me :3. 

Monsoon season is quite nice in my opinion! You can explore and do many other things :)

I think you are doing something wrong... First off, you should make wooden flooring and put sandbags around your base (you need to prepare this earlier). Make a Snakeskin Jacket & Snakeskin Hat for rain protection.

I hope those tips would be helpful :)

9 minutes ago, ShadowZHit said:

Yeah i did mention the meteor shower stuff as well both seasons are ridiculous

I apologize... I was too... "concise"... what I mean was that (and this is just my opinion) some people who have been playing Don't Starve for a long time wanted something... "new"... a new challenge... and adopting RoG or Vanilla mechanics would be too redundant... so, from what I believe was Capy and Klei's attempt of a different avenue was to make a slightly different game... back in RoG and Vanilla, you could get away with most calamities through simple tools and structures... making players a bit "Base-oriented". As we see from the characters and world, SW promotes a more "Nomadic" play-style in my opinion... from Warly, who has the portable crock pot, Walani and her surfboard, Wilbur, who can run around islands quickly effectively mapping them out in a snap, Woodlegs, who can locate treasures around the map and have a personal ship to travel with... what I'm saying is... Don't Starve - Shipwrecked is a good opportunity to explore other avenues that Don't Starve can go to... I apologize if that wasn't convincing enough but I'm sure some more veteran players can elaborate more on how they have conquered these obstacles...

You are also absolutely right though, the game is still evolving and I admire your passion for it :)

Hope this turns out well! :) 

42 minutes ago, ShadowZHit said:

P.S i know its early access i just hope they realize this problem this game is having.

Game is out of early access and this is not a problem.

Trial and error is the bread and butter of this game.

Stop complaining and adapt to the challenges in the game.

1 hour ago, Asparagus said:

I apologize... I was too... "concise"... what I mean was that (and this is just my opinion) some people who have been playing Don't Starve for a long time wanted something... "new"... a new challenge... and adopting RoG or Vanilla mechanics would be too redundant... so, from what I believe was Capy and Klei's attempt of a different avenue was to make a slightly different game... back in RoG and Vanilla, you could get away with most calamities through simple tools and structures... making players a bit "Base-oriented". As we see from the characters and world, SW promotes a more "Nomadic" play-style in my opinion... from Warly, who has the portable crock pot, Walani and her surfboard, Wilbur, who can run around islands quickly effectively mapping them out in a snap, Woodlegs, who can locate treasures around the map and have a personal ship to travel with... what I'm saying is... Don't Starve - Shipwrecked is a good opportunity to explore other avenues that Don't Starve can go to... I apologize if that wasn't convincing enough but I'm sure some more veteran players can elaborate more on how they have conquered these obstacles...

You are also absolutely right though, the game is still evolving and I admire your passion for it :)

Hope this turns out well! :) 

Still evolving? Its content complete and out of EA. Its done evolving.

2 hours ago, Asparagus said:

i1YEL3o.gif

I... I don't have a problem with this... <_<

What you should really be worried about is "Volcanic death of raining lava rocks that seem to know where you are and destroy everything around you" season <__<

I don't get the issue people have with Dry Season.

Free coffee, calm ocean(let me repeat that: CALM. OCEAN. aka the thing that doesnt appear in any other season. EVEN MILD), and encourages you to explore. Don't want to explore? sacrifice at the altar. Don't want that? choose a place for dragoon eggs to hit. Don't want that? Do it at sea. 

2 approaches with different options in each, and a season with benefits. No other season really has benefits in SW to offset its issues. Hurricane has hail which is a joke, Moonson has...nothing. Maybe the fact that yellow sacs are amazing for healing, but come on. 

2 hours ago, ShadowZHit said:

Yeah i did mention the meteor shower stuff as well both seasons are ridiculous

How is Dry Season ridiculous? It also works by the same trick giants do. You're not near a place? That place will never be targeted by whatever decides to spawn.

1 hour ago, voyager156 said:

Monsoon season is quite nice in my opinion! You can explore and do many other things :)

I think you are doing something wrong... First off, you should make wooden flooring and put sandbags around your base (you need to prepare this earlier). Make a Snakeskin Jacket & Snakeskin Hat for rain protection.

I hope those tips would be helpful :)

Thing is, the season has no reliable way to be dealt with. That's my issue with it. Sandbags? Water goes through it. Flooring? If you happen to find a small island you can completely re-turf, Moonsoon will still find a way to flood it.

It also(I believe so at least) is the one season who's hazard doesn't follow you around but works 24/7 all round the world.

Just now, AnonymousKoala said:

Still evolving? Its content complete and out of EA. Its done evolving.

the game is still evolving and I admire your passion for it

I mean DS as a whole O__O

what I'm saying is... Don't Starve - Shipwrecked is a good opportunity to explore other avenues that Don't Starve can go to...

O__O

2 minutes ago, AnonymousKoala said:

I don't get the issue people have with Dry Season.

As you can see, some people have trouble with this season... most new players (as DS:SW has drawn in newer players) will find that the SW expansion is a tad too hard if they haven't practiced with Vanilla and/or RoG yet. Let's keep in mind that not everyone who plays the game is as good as you yet ;)

4 minutes ago, AnonymousKoala said:

Thing is, the season has no reliable way to be dealt with. That's my issue with it. Sandbags? Water goes through it.

Huh, so I guess there will be no more updates then to fix this?

evolving

I guess it won't go further than that as you stated? Oh well...

someone please get my sarcasm and point plz <.<

5 minutes ago, Asparagus said:

I mean DS as a whole O__O

O__O

As you can see, some people have trouble with this season... most new players (as DS:SW has drawn in newer players) will find that the SW expansion is a tad too hard if they haven't practiced with Vanilla and/or RoG yet. Let's keep in mind that not everyone who plays the game is as good as you yet ;)

Huh, so I guess there will be no more updates then to fix this?

I guess it won't go further than that as you stated? Oh well...

someone please get my sarcasm and point plz <.<

Ah never mind about it not evolving then. Sorry.

Oh yeah, I'm not saying "you suck and you should feel bad about it", I'm just stating my thoughts. 

Maybe updates will fix it. To be fair, this whole thing kinda dissapoints me so much that I'd even be surprised if they make Woodlegs(aka a character from the expansion) have a quote for hail(aka one of the most common things in said expansion). Its like Wigfrid not having a quote for ice.

I do agree with you on the 

18 minutes ago, AnonymousKoala said:

It also works by the same trick giants do. You're not near a place? That place will never be targeted by whatever decides to spawn.

I just sail the seas when this season hits XD

19 minutes ago, AnonymousKoala said:

That's my issue with it. Sandbags? Water goes through it. Flooring? If you happen to find a small island you can completely re-turf, Moonsoon will still find a way to flood it.

Yeah, there is this... ergo

2 hours ago, Asparagus said:

back in RoG and Vanilla, you could get away with most calamities through simple tools and structures... making players a bit "Base-oriented". As we see from the characters and world, SW promotes a more "Nomadic" play-style in my opinion...

Yeah... when these seasons roll around, I kinda adopt the Giant's tactic but in a meteorological scale... it really turns conventional DS play style on its sides XD

3 minutes ago, AnonymousKoala said:

Oh yeah, I'm not saying "you suck and you should feel bad about it", I'm just stating my thoughts. 

I don't really mind ;) it started a discussion and you actually pointed out things that were left out :3

Just now, Asparagus said:

I do agree with you on the 

I just sail the seas when this season hits XD

Yeah, there is this... ergo

Yeah... when these seasons roll around, I kinda adopt the Giant's tactic but in a meteorological scale... it really turns conventional DS play style on its sides XD

I don't really mind ;) it started a discussion and you actually pointed out things that were left out :3

I usually use the first year to sail around when moonsoon and dry seasons come. Mainly finding slot machine and volcano are my goals in there. 

25 minutes ago, Asparagus said:

Let's keep in mind that not everyone who plays the game is as good as you yet ;)

someone please get my sacasm and poit

Tough luck. We all had problems at the beginning and we overcame them. Complaining and demanding they make a game advertised as "uncompromising"  even more easy is what's wrong with these forums. If the devs got this kind of feedback is no wonder that they nerfed Poison and gave us the abomination that is Warly. This crap needs to be called out, or we'll end up with Tropical Fun Times with Ranibow and Sunshine as a game title.

If you suck, you tweak the  World settings and call it a day, until you get better. Ruining it for the rest of us is not an acceptable solution.

Just now, TeoSS69 said:

We all had problems at the beginning and we overcame them.

20 minutes ago, Asparagus said:

Let's keep in mind that not everyone who plays the game is as good as you yet ;)

I sometimes doubt the simplicity of my words .-. I'm sorry, but I guess I don't convey what I mean accurately enough :T

The thing is, the game is tough when you first start but that's only because you have to learn all the mechanics first, after you understand it better it becomes super easy, so making something less difficult will just make it boring for when you get better. Best advice is just keep playing.

Just now, TeoSS69 said:

Point still stands. Wasn't specifically targeting you anw.

I understand... np, it's just that

6 minutes ago, TeoSS69 said:

If you suck, you tweak the  World settings and call it a day, until you get better. Ruining it for the rest of us is not an acceptable solution.

the "you" makes a direct implication to whomever is reading it... just saying... don't kill me .-.

TBH OP maybe you should reconsider your strategies and see if you just do something wrong. Lets go about it one step at a time

For starters the problem of flooding dissabeling structures well what if i told you that there are 2 things that completly negatre that stuff? They are called Wooden Flooring (you know the stuff people tend to ignore in RoG) and Sandbags.

2016-03-04_00002.jpg

This is what a base at the Start of at least in the middle of Monsoonseason should look like. Completly prevents the flooding from all but 1 direction and if you setup you'r machines properly they never get dissabled.

Next up sanity and rain. Again there are a bunch of Items that directly negate those things. For sanity you got a bunch of food recipes the most simple one being Melonsickles what restore 20 sanity a pop and only require 1 Melon and 2 Ice from you'r best bud the Icemaker as well as 1 Stick. Also lets not mention the fact that Seashells give you 5 Sanity per pick up and you can make Sandcastles what give a Huge sanity boost during nights.

For rain there are 4 Clothing items and 1 struckture what completly negates them. Snakeskin Hat and Coat together give you 100% Wetness protection while the Blubber Suit or the Dumbrella give 100% just on their own. And you can make the Palmleaf Hut to also prevent getting wet while in the base (best idea is to put it close to your chiminea so you can dry of better under it)

Poison Mosquitos imho are fine they have barely any HP and if you didn't make a Shellsuit yet well then you deserve to get poisoned plain and simple.

TBH Monsoonseason is probably the easiest one of the 3 SW seasons that actively try to end you and really if you have trouble with it then it's a case of not preparing properly for the first time.

Heck when i first got to monsoonseason i didn't know what to expect yet I still survived it because i premade both the Shellsuit the Antivenom and a couple of Other items and even with my entire base getting flooded i still managed to get through so even a flooded base is no excuse for just that a season is unfair or stupid.

Here are some additional tips, which may be more applicable for a beginner:

I hope this helps.

• Strive to build a chiminea. The most difficult ingredient for this is limestone. You'll need 6 pieces of coral for that, so you'll need to explore enough to find a coral reef with more than one coral rock in it. Chiminea is immune to flooding.
  • Build a palm leaf hut on one side of the chiminea. This fully protects you from rain while you stand under it. You'll need 4 palm leaves, 4 bamboo and 9 grass for this.
  • Build your important floodable structures (alchemy engine, crock pot, ice box) close together, and place wooden flooring underneath them. You should need 4-6 pieces of wooden flooring. If you found a touchstone or the slot machine, these have wooden flooring available for you to dig up (Pitchfork) and transplant. This won't affect their functionality. If you can't find any premade, 6 pieces of wooden flooring will require 24 pieces of wood, or 6 fully grown trees (don't forget to dig up stumps with a shovel for an extra log)
    • It is also a good idea to hava more than one of these away from each other. In case something goes wrong, and they are flooded, you can still use the others.
  • Place your base away from shores. Puddles can spawn on the ocean, which makes it very difficult to stop them.
  • Collect as much bamboo as you can, collect sand, and build sandbags. 6 bamboo and 3 sand give you 4 sandbags. You'll need at least 16 of these. Less if you covered more of your base with crafted flooring. 16 sandbags is 24 bamboo and 12 sand. Sooner you start collecting these, easier you'll be able to get them all.
  • Strive to get an umbrella. You'll need a pigskin for this, which can be obtained by hammering wildbore heads around the touchstone, or killing werepigs (if you have enough monster meat you can feed 4 to a wildbore to turn it to a werepig, or if you have any kind of meat, you can feed a wildbore so that it will stay outside during full moon and transform). You can alternatively try killing wildbores and hope for a pig skin, but this will be time consuming. If you are desparate, hammer down the farthest wildbore house from your base, which will give you pig skin (among other items).
    • Umbrella + football helmet (also requires pig skin) = 100% wetness protection.
  • Other clothing items that could be helpful are:
    • Snakeskin hat: 70% wetness protection (combining this with tropical parasol gives you 100%)
    • Snakeskin jacket: 70% wetness protection (combining this with football helmet gives you 90%, which is fairly good)
    • Dumbrella and blubber suit give 100% protection on their own, but they are relatively difficult to obtain.
    • If you have the palm laf hut & chiminea setup as described above, you don't need 100% protection. Even just one of the snakeskin items is enough (so you can go with seashell suit + snakeskin hat), as long as you get back under the hut and have the chiminea fueled to dry you off when you are wet.
    • You don't need to use these while you are under the palm leaf hut, which would save their durability, and allows you to wear other items, such as those for sanity restoration or armor for poison prevention.
  • During the first quarter of the season, the weather will be very nice, you can use that time to get the items you couldn't obtain during the hurricane season or the mild season.
  • After that window of time, be around your base. With the first rains, puddles will spawn. Once the rain starts, get your sandbags, and at the first opportunity walk around your base to stop puddles. You can stop puddles by placing sandbags in the middle of them (which requires significantly less sandbags compared to any alternative). Wiki has some pictures explaining this: http://dont-starve-game.wikia.com/wiki/Sandbag. One picture that isn't there is to use 4 sandbags to cover edges of a puddle it it's small form. Puddles can grow large, so make sure you handle all puddles within 2 screens from your base.
  • For mosquitos: Keep your seashell suit on if your base is near puddles. When you start hearing them, equip your spear (or better) keep pressing the attack button. As soon as they come near, you'll be able to hit them to death before they can get away.
  • Remember, mosquitos only spawn on flooded tiles. So if you cover the puddles entirely with sandbags, or have enough flooring to keep the puddle spawns far away, you won't even have to deal with them.
  • If you are poisoned don't panic. It does so little damage for 2 days that it shouldn't matter. You can use those 2 days to craft an anti venom, or alternatively just craft healing items. You can eat a venom gland (which will deal 75 damage, but will never kill you) to neutralize the poison, then use the healing items to restore the hp. You can get venom glands from stink rays, which are entirely harmless while you are poisoned. Or if you know a swamp, you can dig up poisonous holes which are again harmless if you are already poisoned. There are healing crock pot recipes which are very easy to access. Couple of the easiest ones are: 1 limpets (or any other fish) + 1 twig + 2 non-twig fillers = fish sticks, restores 40 health, 3 limpets + 1 ice = bisque, restores 60 health. If you have farms, dragon fruit pie also restores 40 hp, in addition to a lot of hunger. Pierogies also restore 40, you can use a vegetable (e.g. seaweed), and egg and meat to cook one. California rolls and banan pops restore 20 health, and they are also good for sanity.
  • Sanity shouldn't be an issue if you don't let your equipped items get wet (i.e. dry off before wetness reaches that level). You can use sanity restoring items, such as the top hat while you are under the palm leaf hut instead of wetness protection, even when it is raining. There are a few easy to obtain recipes for sanity, you can use to offset any additional sanity loss from temporary wetness. Wiki has a sortable table here: http://dont-starve-game.wikia.com/wiki/Crock_pot. California rolls are the easiest in that list. Depending on the resources you have, there are better recipes. The main thing is to dry off as soon as you can near a fire to avoid sanity loss.
    • Remember, both the character wetness and the wetness of equipped items contribute to sanity loss. So when drying off, don't leave until all equipped items are dry, in addition to having 0 wetness for the character.

2 hours ago, TeoSS69 said:

Tough luck. We all had problems at the beginning and we overcame them. Complaining and demanding they make a game advertised as "uncompromising"  even more easy is what's wrong with these forums. If the devs got this kind of feedback is no wonder that they nerfed Poison and gave us the abomination that is Warly. This crap needs to be called out, or we'll end up with Tropical Fun Times with Ranibow and Sunshine as a game title.

Thats how Warly became utter ****. "ooh warly is op" "ooo warly is too stronk plz nerf" And now Wes starves less than Warly.

2 hours ago, GangStarrWoWp said:

The thing is, the game is tough when you first start but that's only because you have to learn all the mechanics first, after you understand it better it becomes super easy, so making something less difficult will just make it boring for when you get better. Best advice is just keep playing.

Exactly. First deerclops rekt me. I prepared better, killed him epicly the second time. Third time? Became a big fat hound as much as much as I care.

And that's the beauty of it. Hounds come? "oh ****", and then you prepare and they become a mild threat. and then they ramp up, and become a more relevant threat, but still, overcomable if you prepare enough.

2 hours ago, Mr.P said:

TBH OP maybe you should reconsider your strategies and see if you just do something wrong. Lets go about it one step at a time

For starters the problem of flooding dissabeling structures well what if i told you that there are 2 things that completly negatre that stuff? They are called Wooden Flooring (you know the stuff people tend to ignore in RoG) and Sandbags.

2016-03-04_00002.jpg

This is what a base at the Start of at least in the middle of Monsoonseason should look like. Completly prevents the flooding from all but 1 direction and if you setup you'r machines properly they never get dissabled.

Next up sanity and rain. Again there are a bunch of Items that directly negate those things. For sanity you got a bunch of food recipes the most simple one being Melonsickles what restore 20 sanity a pop and only require 1 Melon and 2 Ice from you'r best bud the Icemaker as well as 1 Stick. Also lets not mention the fact that Seashells give you 5 Sanity per pick up and you can make Sandcastles what give a Huge sanity boost during nights.

For rain there are 4 Clothing items and 1 struckture what completly negates them. Snakeskin Hat and Coat together give you 100% Wetness protection while the Blubber Suit or the Dumbrella give 100% just on their own. And you can make the Palmleaf Hut to also prevent getting wet while in the base (best idea is to put it close to your chiminea so you can dry of better under it)

Poison Mosquitos imho are fine they have barely any HP and if you didn't make a Shellsuit yet well then you deserve to get poisoned plain and simple.

TBH Monsoonseason is probably the easiest one of the 3 SW seasons that actively try to end you and really if you have trouble with it then it's a case of not preparing properly for the first time.

Heck when i first got to monsoonseason i didn't know what to expect yet I still survived it because i premade both the Shellsuit the Antivenom and a couple of Other items and even with my entire base getting flooded i still managed to get through so even a flooded base is no excuse for just that a season is unfair or stupid.

Wait, wooden flooring only? Not just craftable turf? the update which added this functionality did say "craftable turfs", not wooden flooring specifically.

Moonsoon is more annoying than anything, same for hurricane. but honestly, what season isn't when you're at endgame? Oh that's right. A season with benefits. (Sorry, I'm really bitter about how SW seasons other than Dry and Mild have no benefits, unlike in rog where all seasons had both good sides and bad sides)

2 minutes ago, AnonymousKoala said:

Wait, wooden flooring only? Not just craftable turf? the update which added this functionality did say "craftable turfs", not wooden flooring specifically.

I was mostly refering to Wooden Flooring since it's the simplest of Floorings to make. Sure every flooring Works but wooden one is the best since it's cheap to make compared to Snakeskinrugs (nned the Snakeskin for the Clothes and the Cloth for the Sandbags so it's more a waste tbh).

3 minutes ago, AnonymousKoala said:

Moonsoon is more annoying than anything, same for hurricane. but honestly, what season isn't when you're at endgame? Oh that's right. A season with benefits. (Sorry, I'm really bitter about how SW seasons other than Dry and Mild have no benefits, unlike in rog where all seasons had both good sides and bad sides)

Wholeheartly agree. It's again a big part of the opportunitys that SW had and what they wasted because of the limited Development time (I don't care how long they had to fiddle around with the Engine the results we got is what counts). TBH both Hurricane and Monsoon are the points where i always get utterly bored and just don't wanna play anymore because there is just nothing to them other then preparing your base in Hurricane season for Monsoon Season and preparing for Dry Season during Monsoon Season. Sure you had similar things in RoG but there was always added stuff ontop of it like Winter obviously had the Mini Glaciers that you can mine for Ice for Summer but you also got Mc Tusk what you can go and fight for a very usefull reward (no matter what he drops for the first time).

Archived