What do you think of Don't Starve's difficulty?

What is your stance on the game's difficulty?  

254 members have voted

1. 1. What is your stance on the game's difficulty?

• Too hard!
    • Too easy!
    • Just right!
    • Could use just a LITTLE improvement...

Thanks for the video.

It explained a lot.

I hope they go with the dice rolling that would be awesome and give this game a lot of replayability

Love playing Spelunky because you never now what items you are going to get and how the stages will be setup. It makes every playthrough different and fun

Edited by Kingsize

I find it easy once you set up some turbo farms(the last farm upgrade) and an income of meat be either monster meat or regular meat. Then start to build a lot of straw rolls and wait it out to farm exp. For me, the abundance of seeds and effectiveness of the turbo farms.

For the enemies is a matter of knowing that enemies stop when they attack, go back and hit them at least 2 times in a row and repeat. Find it challenging (or troublesome whatever name you want to use) when the enemies are in a pack.

The first few hours are critical, exciting and fun but once you set camp with farms, a close supply of meat(like spider farms, buffalos) bring in the harvest. What I do is try not to make a base too effective so I can forcefully go out to scavenge and forcethe character to starve.

Or once Ive set up a safe way survive for days, I would kill the character on purpose and star over in a new world!! <- this is what I like about the game. Always try to survive in a new enviroment. Of course, havent try out the mecha face thing yet.

I would welcome a HARDCORE option for this game! Like eliminating farms when you select this option!!!!

Edited by Stepper

Thanks for the video.

It explained a lot.

I hope they go with the dice rolling that would be awesome and give this game a lot of replayability

Love playing Spelunky because you never now what items you are going to get and how the stages will be setup. It makes every playthrough different and fun

I think you don't understand it correctly..

MikeB is "just" a youtuber (actually he is doing his living out of it). This type of difficulty-change he wants to do, is just for himself and will not be implemented into the game.

I just wanted to show you this, so the people who want a harder game can try to do it like this.

And I still hope terapin sees this and tries to develop something like the crockpot-simulator for the difficulty level..

For all the beginners out there: I think the "lets play's" by mikeB are pretty neat for you to see how you can get started. And all the "pro-gamers" can check it out too and get a good laugh out of it. Well I do actually laugh pretty good when he's failing xD

Ooh your right I misunderstood the video.

I thought he was one of the developers sharing some of his ideas for the game.

They should check out this video.

Yeah that would be really cool if they implemented this as another play mode called "maxwell's card-deck of evilness". the replayability would be pretty epic. :cool: thanks for sharing

I think you don't understand it correctly..

MikeB is "just" a youtuber (actually he is doing his living out of it). This type of difficulty-change he wants to do, is just for himself and will not be implemented into the game.

I just wanted to show you this, so the people who want a harder game can try to do it like this.

And I still hope terapin sees this and tries to develop something like the crockpot-simulator for the difficulty level..

For all the beginners out there: I think the "lets play's" by mikeB are pretty neat for you to see how you can get started. And all the "pro-gamers" can check it out too and get a good laugh out of it. Well I do actually laugh pretty good when he's failing xD

Well it sounds easy enough for some mod to do this, choosing the card events would be the hard part, but I'm more interested in fixing the bigger issues in the game first, like improving the map.

After release, depending on how difficult the game is at that point, this idea sounds actually cool. IMO, It'd be better to feed the pig king a certain item and you get a random 'event' which changes the in-game-play (which would be harder to mod), everytime you do it, making the game more challenging and exciting, but still keeping the game vanilla for the non-hardcore players.

Oh wow, an 8-and-a-half year old thread that hasn't been archived.

Am I a bit of a cur for necroing such a long-dead thread? Maybe, but it's still facinating to see how the fandom's evolved and changed over nearly a decade.

And my impression is... It hasn't changed at all. Nearly a decade in, and we're still arguing over whether the game's too easy or not. (Well, arguing about the sequel/spinoff being too easy atleast). Never change Klei forums. Never change.

But in regards to the actual topic at hand (From a much later perspective), It's honestly hard to say if the game got harder or not as the years went by. Sure, tons of seasonal and survival challenges where added. But so where things meant to counter-act those challenges, such as magic; more food sources, ect.  It really is quite the debate.

• Like 1