Corals do not grow back

zVince

1 hour ago, DeputyDeath said:

If you mean when you mine them down with a pickaxe, I think you need to be within a certain range for them to regrow.

Which is ridiculous when they're often in the middle of the ocean and far from any islands, but whatever.

Same for whale corpses.

I think I left a corpse for a year and it still didn't bloat entirely.

18 minutes ago, AnonymousKoala said:

Same for whale corpses.

I think I left a corpse for a year and it still didn't bloat entirely.

Yup. There's a few random whale carcasses lying around my world, including a couple of white whales. 

FML I really want those harpoons for taking out beehives.

The problem is how time passes for things in that are not near you. Or rather, how time stops for them. The game engine suspends objects that are too far away from you to improve performance. When you get back near them, the engine tries to catch up by essentially telling them how long they have been asleep. Not all objects (especially the ones with multiple stages, like whale carcass, coral reef or spider dens) handle this properly.

The carcass for example, would know which stage it is in (let's say 1), and how much time is needed for the next stage (let's say 2 days). If you go far away before that 2 days arrive, and come back, say 30 days later, the object will be woken up and be told that 30 days have passed. Then it will determine that next stage time is reached (which was 28 days ago), and move it to the next stage (2), and update the time needed for the next stage (2 days from state transition).

Before this is improved, you can revisit the thing you want grown often to make sure it doesn't sleep for too long.

Disclaimer: I've not analyzed the entire code base, therefore I may be missing things.

On 09/04/2016 at 8:39 PM, stl1234 said:

The problem is how time passes for things in that are not near you. Or rather, how time stops for them. The game engine suspends objects that are too far away from you to improve performance. When you get back near them, the engine tries to catch up by essentially telling them how long they have been asleep. Not all objects (especially the ones with multiple stages, like whale carcass, coral reef or spider dens) handle this properly.

The carcass for example, would know which stage it is in (let's say 1), and how much time is needed for the next stage (let's say 2 days). If you go far away before that 2 days arrive, and come back, say 30 days later, the object will be woken up and be told that 30 days have passed. Then it will determine that next stage time is reached (which was 28 days ago), and move it to the next stage (2), and update the time needed for the next stage (2 days from state transition).

Before this is improved, you can revisit the thing you want grown often to make sure it doesn't sleep for too long.

Disclaimer: I've not analyzed the entire code base, therefore I may be missing things.

Just like beeboxes. They default to producing one honey per day when offscreen, but can produce 9-10 honey each daily if you can see them.

Archived