Jellyfish in Shipwrecked need a substantial nerf

Jellyfish mobs in Shipwrecked can be killed by most characters in 2 hits with basic tools. On hit, jellyfish do 5 damage to the player, which can't be mitigated by armor but can be nullified by lightning resistence-offering items, like the fairly easy-to-craft Snakeskin Jacket, meaning they'll generally do at most 10 damage to the player. The dead jellyfish item they drop can then be eaten -- raw -- to recover 10 hunger and 10 health, with no sanity penalty. If you have electricity resistance, this means you can murder jellyfish en masse -- as they spawn very frequently -- for easy health and hunger recovery with very little in the way of consequences. You won't manage to summon the (rather unintimidating) Floaty Boaty Knights any more frequently than 5 days apart (if that), and Krampus will just hiss at you impotently until you make it to land to do something for naughtiness there. The only thing resembling a threat is the fairly low chance that you'll summon a sea hound, but their threat is fairly easily mitigated by a boat with a sail. I don't know if killing the jellyfish can somehow cause the Tiger Shark to spawn, but he's pretty readily ignored even if so. Oh, and if you have enough spare jellyfish after you're done filling your hunger up, you can get to shore and cook them to nearly double their hunger value and extend their spoil time by a good while.

Neverminding the fact that it seems very strange for a creature that's 95% water to be so substantial, how is there not a sanity penalty on this? Sanity penalties on food generally seem like they follow what a "normal" person would consider revolting. Who the hell just eats raw jellyfish?

Honestly, discovering this takes so much out of the challenge of the game that it's not even funny. Provided you can keep a ship in ship-shape and have the needed materials for weapons, you can all but live on them. You won't get to relax or explore much, but it's totally doable. I can only see it becoming a problem in the dry season, and even then I can't imagine it being too bad. These things need to be hit with the nerf bat really hard.

Not really, Hunger was never a problem to begin with with all the Seaweed and Limpets or good ol' Seeds & Butterfly Wings (and you do not even need a fire to cook them thanks to Krissures), also all trees give food when you cut them down. Health is nice too but same idea there is tons of healing food in SW. At least Jellyfish require specific gear to gather.

Now I agree that they should have some sanity penalty especially since they are considered Monster food but I don't think they should be rendered useless (i.e. hit with the nerf bat really hard), maybe -10 raw -5 cooked 0 dried?

None of the things you mention are as convenient as jellyfish because jellyfish are everywhere, don't move very fast, and don't have to be cooked. Seaweed and limpets without cooking is a sanity hit, and their spawning is limited. Chasing birds for seeds is just barely a net gain for hunger if you keep at it and can't be done in the night. Butterflies take a lot of running around to get and go away at dusk. And while I do say that you don't get to explore "much" if you just live on jellyfish, you can explore a lot more than you can doing most of those other things because seriously, they're absolutely everywhere.

The thing is no matter what strategy u use , you will always have ton of food in your fridge, that is spoiling (at least thats what happens to me) The only real way to die in dont starve is to be caught unprepared for something, and in most cases its a boss! For example i was building snake floars all around my base in the night and suddenly a tornado boss came, i only had 1 football helmet and log suit on me both at 50% and i couldnt run to far cuz it was night, so i got caught into his special ability few times and the resault was death..

Thankfully i had an active altar*

And by the way i havent killed one jellyfish yet :D so i dont even know why do they need a nerf :)

TBH Sw has far to many viable Foodsources so nerfing Jellyfish will do jacks**t in terms of balancing. Heck i find Jellyfish to be one of the worst Foodsources because they barely restore any Hunger and it's to timeconsuming to kill them that i'm better of living of other stuff.

The only times i catch them is when I'm making Spearguns, Brain of Thoughts or the new Gasmask (can't remember the name) because otherwise they are barely worth the time and effort to kill. And for all those Items i need them alive mind you (but even then i still got 3 or so leftover from 1 Trawlnet what i then use for Jelly-O-Pop or dry them on the Racks).

In general i'm not a fan of this whole "Thing X is OP and needs a nerf" cause you know what we got from stupid talk like that? The utter trashheap that is Warly now. Cause everyone was like "His perks are far to powerfull and he needs a nerf" and now he's basicly at the bottom of the Characterlist because his entire playstyle is not fun nor challenging it's obnoxious and not fun at all to play.

7 minutes ago, alexeiwc3gosu said:

The thing is no matter what strategy u use , you will always have ton of food in your fridge, that is spoiling (at least thats what happens to me) The only real way to die in dont starve is to be caught unprepared for something, and in most cases its a boss! For example i was building snake floars all around my base in the night and suddenly a tornado boss came, i only had 1 football helmet and log suit on me both at 50% and i couldnt run to far cuz it was night, so i got caught into his special ability few times and the resault was death..

And by the way i havent killed one jellyfish yet :D so i dont even know why do they need a nerf :)

Easy to shield against, passive, abundant, make for ok food that also heals , however in crock pot terms its monster food.

59 minutes ago, AnonymousKoala said:

Easy to shield against, passive, abundant, make for ok food that also heals , however in crock pot terms its monster food.

It doesnt stack so for each jellyfish you need an empty inventory slot and also it deals damage to player... this is probably the most balanced food source in all shipwrecked, i would never waste my time on jellyfish to restore hunger, and there are so many spider glands around that i stopped picking them up. 

Usually i live not far from swamp preferably with fishermerms hut, in the beggining they provide lots of fish, later lots of rot, i make 2-3 bee hives and gather plants on swamp, so usually i have 30-40 unused honey bandages.

A bird cage provide all the food i need, cuz what i mostly do is kill spiders and snakes, and monster meat is to abundant.

Later when i start killing real stuff like whales, ox, tiger sharks, pig farms(which provide eggs and bananas if you build a tree farm) and other stuff i get so much meat that it just rots in the fridge , cuz i cant manage to dry it all.

Realy guys jellyfish?? lol its easier to just farm monkeys instead :D

Just because you haven't opted to do a thing a certain way doesn't mean there's no problem with it. And you're both ignoring one of the biggest things here: you don't need a fridge if you live off of these things. You just barely need a base; once you've secured a reliable light source you don't really have to stop much of anywhere for longer than it takes to repair/rebuild your boat. Once you find one you'll have found a dozen of them; it takes maybe a minute to scare up enough of what you need to last the day.

And dead jellyfish most certainly do stack. And how is it easier to farm monkeys? Those things that move faster than you? Unless you mean setting up some sort of trap system to kill them, in which case again, jellyfish require almost no setup.

4 minutes ago, TheHalcyonOne said:

Just because you haven't opted to do a thing a certain way doesn't mean there's no problem with it. And you're both ignoring one of the biggest things here: you don't need a fridge if you live off of these things. You just barely need a base; once you've secured a reliable light source you don't really have to stop much of anywhere for longer than it takes to repair/rebuild your boat. Once you find one you'll have found a dozen of them; it takes maybe a minute to scare up enough of what you need to last the day.

And dead jellyfish most certainly do stack. And how is it easier to farm monkeys? Those things that move faster than you? Unless you mean setting up some sort of trap system to kill them, in which case again, jellyfish require almost no setup.

This can also work the other way around just because you think it's OP doesn't mean everyone has to be of the same opinion.

And again I have better things to do in an Ingameday then huting Jellyfish just to keep me feed. Again there are so many easy and abuseable Foodsources in SW it's not even funny if so why nerf 1 foodsource that barely anyone uses? Again never touch Jellyfish other then the few Craftables because there are at least 7 different foodsources that are less timeconsuming and give me probably a better payout like just farming spiders much easier less timeconsuming and i get Silk and Spiderglands ontop of that. This has been in the game for years and it never got nerfed in any way so i doubt that we will see a nerf to Jellyfish just because you think it's nessesary.

If you have a different opinion you're entitled to it, but "I'm not doing it" is not an opinion, so it's really not working the "other way around." Saying "I don't do this" is not a meaningful counterpoint.

Spiders are not a comparable food source in any way because 1. you have to kill them and doing so either requires a setup or more work than killing jellyfish does (also you have to find them first, and deal with their small numbers when your world first starts; again, jellyfish are absolutely everywhere, right from the word go); 2. because you have to gather that monster meat up which does in fact take time, take that monster meat back to a base camp and then process it, either by putting it in the crock pot or feeding it to a bird or whatever the case may be, taking more time. How is this faster than finding some things on your way to wherever you're going, killing them, and eating them right where you stand?

47 minutes ago, TheHalcyonOne said:

If you have a different opinion you're entitled to it, but "I'm not doing it" is not an opinion, so it's really not working the "other way around." Saying "I don't do this" is not a meaningful counterpoint.

Spiders are not a comparable food source in any way because 1. you have to kill them and doing so either requires a setup or more work than killing jellyfish does (also you have to find them first, and deal with their small numbers when your world first starts; again, jellyfish are absolutely everywhere, right from the word go); 2. because you have to gather that monster meat up which does in fact take time, take that monster meat back to a base camp and then process it, either by putting it in the crock pot or feeding it to a bird or whatever the case may be, taking more time. How is this faster than finding some things on your way to wherever you're going, killing them, and eating them right where you stand?

Thing is Jellyfish are not really worth it. They're equal to berries, and just like berries, they're everywhere.

Sure, they're not a bad food source and can be achieved so easily, but after not a lot of time, who lives off of them? 

Nerfing Jellyfish is honestly like nerfing Berries.

1 hour ago, alexeiwc3gosu said:

It doesnt stack so for each jellyfish you need an empty inventory slot and also it deals damage to player... this is probably the most balanced food source in all shipwrecked, i would never waste my time on jellyfish to restore hunger, and there are so many spider glands around that i stopped picking them up. 

Usually i live not far from swamp preferably with fishermerms hut, in the beggining they provide lots of fish, later lots of rot, i make 2-3 bee hives and gather plants on swamp, so usually i have 30-40 unused honey bandages.

A bird cage provide all the food i need, cuz what i mostly do is kill spiders and snakes, and monster meat is to abundant.

Later when i start killing real stuff like whales, ox, tiger sharks, pig farms(which provide eggs and bananas if you build a tree farm) and other stuff i get so much meat that it just rots in the fridge , cuz i cant manage to dry it all.

Realy guys jellyfish?? lol its easier to just farm monkeys instead :D

It does stack when its dead though.

And "deals damage". You are aware of the fact you can wear a few clothing items that are easy to make, and will make it so their "attacks" will deal 0 damage, right?

Fishermerms are <3

And farming monkeys requires set-up. I do agree with the OP on this, Jellyfish require having an insulation thing and a weapon, which are obtained much faster.

1 hour ago, Mr.P said:

This can also work the other way around just because you think it's OP doesn't mean everyone has to be of the same opinion.

And again I have better things to do in an Ingameday then huting Jellyfish just to keep me feed. Again there are so many easy and abuseable Foodsources in SW it's not even funny if so why nerf 1 foodsource that barely anyone uses? Again never touch Jellyfish other then the few Craftables because there are at least 7 different foodsources that are less timeconsuming and give me probably a better payout like just farming spiders much easier less timeconsuming and i get Silk and Spiderglands ontop of that. This has been in the game for years and it never got nerfed in any way so i doubt that we will see a nerf to Jellyfish just because you think it's nessesary.

Feels like the "Warly is OP" threads. Lets hope they don't make Jellyfish crap too.

48 minutes ago, TheHalcyonOne said:

All i read is excuses on why Jellyfish are so OP.

1. They are everywhere so what you still need to go out of your way to kill the Buggers and you need 7-8 to get yourself filled up (even more as characters like Wolfgang or Wes) for an entire day when i can just as well gather a few pieces of Seaweed (what btw is also freaking everywhere) and maybe get some Bananas or Eggs from trees so that's out of the question.

2: Spiders in the long run need exactly 40 seconds of setup once you got a Den and btw you will repopulate at least 1 Den to your Island anyway because of how usefull Silk is in SW so that's also out of the question. Even then I tend to process it asap and always at night since you get so much anyway and with all the Fillers all around you you don't even need a Birdcage to make Meatballs or Honeyham or whatever.

3: Yes i can have an opinion even if i don't use that specific method. Why? Because i tried it a few times and the time and energy that I need to use to hunt a bunch of Jellyfish is IMHO wasted because again Food is stupidly easy to get in SW anyway so why bother with Jellys when i can get something just as good if not better that requires even less effort (Seaweed, Limpets, Bananas cause you need Wood anyway etc.)

Seriously just because i tend to not use 1 method of gathering stupidly easy food doesn't mean i never tried it and fact is Jellyfish are just not worth it even when you'r on the go because there are again multiple easier solutions to get yourself feed for 1 day that doesn't require me to chase a little seacritter just because he basicly defenseless or his raw form basicly refills the HP that i needed to kill it. Also the risk of Sea Hounds is also to annoying in my eyes because even alone they are so damn annoying and summon the stupid Boatknights to that position what just makes getting from point A to point B a lot more tedious every other day.

I don't think you know what the word "excuse" means. Anyway

1. You don't have to go out of your way. You'll trip over them. They're everywhere. Seaweed, AGAIN, is not everywhere in the sense that jellyfish are everywhere. And they take a while to respawn. And eating them raw is a sanity hit.

2. I don't know what you're doing that takes 40 seconds to set up. Grass basket traps I guess? Have to gather the stuff to make them, though. You have to gather stuff to make weapons to kill jellyfish, of course, but they go a lot further than traps do.

3. Work on your reading comprehension skills. I didn't say you can't have an opinion because you didn't do it, I said "I don't do it" is not an opinion. "I'm not doing the thing you're doing" is evidence of nothing, but that was the spear tip of your counterargument until I pressed you to present an argument with some actual substance, which you didn't do in your initial post.

There's no chase. They don't move quickly. Within a day or two of starting a new world, you can craft a Snakeskin Jacket to completely nullify the damage hitting one does to you. You're not likely to see a sea hound more than once every other day. You won't see boat knights more often than 5-6 days apart, and when you do you can completely ignore them because they're laughable as threats go. Seaweed has to be cooked. Limpets have to be cooked. Bananas from trees are not going to keep you filled up. What part of this are you not getting? It's effortless and the downsides are minimal. You can be constantly moving, uncovering the majority of the map in very little time, not really having to stop anywhere for more than a day. And just because yeah, you will eventually be able to set up things that will (probably) be more effective in the long run doesn't make them any less busted for those first 30 or so days. And even if you DON'T use them as your primary food source, they can far too easily take the bite out of a trip that was ill-prepared for or went wrong. You could do something dumb and get stranded on an island on the opposite side of the map from your base, and if there's three flint and some twigs lying around you're back in business.

7 hours ago, alexeiwc3gosu said:

Same story in RoG. If you know what your doing you'll have tons of food. I don't see what's the issue here. The game's name is Don't Starve after all. Food is important in the game.

It is important in the game, which I think is all the more reason for this particular source to be changed. It trivializes that importance because no matter where you go or how bad you screw up, if you can get out to sea, you can stay full on both hunger and potentially health with negligible consequences.

But it's obvious I'm not getting through to anybody and all I'm really doing is repeating myself to one person after another, so I'm out. I'm going back to seeing how long I can half-assedly survive using this oversight. Have fun, y'all.

3 minutes ago, TheHalcyonOne said:

It is important in the game, which I think is all the more reason for this particular source to be changed. It trivializes that importance because no matter where you go or how bad you screw up, if you can get out to sea, you can stay full on both hunger and potentially health with negligible consequences.

But it's obvious I'm not getting through to anybody and all I'm really doing is repeating myself to one person after another, so I'm out. I'm going back to seeing how long I can half-assedly survive using this oversight. Have fun, y'all.

Made this just for you,

For me clearly starvation isn't a problem in SW. There are other dangers - hunger isn't... I guess that's the conception Klei & Capy went with this add-on (tropical "paradise" with lots of food). This is one of the things, that different it from RoG (more available food). And as others above mentions (which I agree) nerfing jellyfish is just pointless...

17 hours ago, GangStarrWoWp said:

The game is easy and 99% of the people on this forum want it to stay easy.

It's not that I want it to stay easy, just that I believe klei (and capy to a lesser extent) did a great job making the game we know and love as Don't Starve. I believe the game is at an acceptable difficulty for the average player. That being said - you can still use mods if it seems to easy to you, or hope for some sort of challenging dlc in the future. On topic, it doesn't make much sense that eating the jellyfish raw doesn't hurt your sanity, more from a design standpoint than a balance issue. It's tagged as monster food :p 

I honestly don't know how many people would just spend all their time killing jellyfish for 10 health and 10 hunger. Maybe during late game(?) when you have most things built and explored (or if you need emergency food?). It just feels like it's not something that's going to have a lot of impact whether it's nerfed or not.

51 minutes ago, Urfable said:

I honestly don't know how many people would just spend all their time killing jellyfish for 10 health and 10 hunger. Maybe during late game(?) when you have most things built and explored (or if you need emergency food?). It just feels like it's not something that's going to have a lot of impact whether it's nerfed or not.

I hadn't really gone after jellyfish before this post, but then I realized that they are pretty good. It takes like 30-60 seconds to get 10 jellyfish (which can be done along the way while exploring) which is almost 200 hunger if cooked, and 100 health either way. I think it should at least hurt your sanity eating it raw, maybe even cooked because it's considered monster food. And maybe not heal you if raw.. Won't it zap you on the way down? .-. I suppose food is abundant elsewheretoo though so a nerf won't really affect the majority of players

1 minute ago, BlindGunner said:

I hadn't really gone after jellyfish before this post, but then I realized that they are pretty good. It takes like 30-60 seconds to get 10 jellyfish (which can be done along the way while exploring) which is almost 200 hunger if cooked, and 100 health either way. I think it should at least hurt your sanity eating it raw, maybe even cooked because it's considered monster food. And maybe not heal you if raw.. Won't it zap you on the way down? .-. I suppose food is abundant elsewheretoo though so a nerf won't really affect the majority of players

Thing is it only counts as monster meat because of how easy it is to acquire. IMO at least.

And it won't zap you on the way down because its dead. Its like why would a mandrake not scream in your throat when eaten. Its dead. 

Just now, AnonymousKoala said:

Thing is it only counts as monster meat because of how easy it is to acquire. IMO at least.

And it won't zap you on the way down because its dead. Its like why would a mandrake not scream in your throat when eaten. Its dead. 

Does picking up dead jellyfish on the ground not shock you? (Only experienced this on land, not sure if that's intended but...) if grabbing it with your hand hurts you it should hurt to eat :p 

Archived