Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Please be aware that the content of this thread may be outdated and no longer applicable.

DeputyDeath

What things in this game are dumb and need fixing?

Recommended Posts

TeoSS69    2,204
6 hours ago, hyiltiz said:

Your Flingomatic got seated by a HUGE dragoon egg. Good bye.

I've yet to hit a Flingomatic with the Volcano Staff's eggs.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
AnonymousKoala    3,635
9 hours ago, TeoSS69 said:

>losing sanity and blue gems to do something that you can do with loot that drops from the sky

hmmmm. nah. I'd do it if the Flingomatic had that effect though.

True. Though I don't care about sanity that much on this run at least. I'm Maxwell so excuse me if I forget the sanity cost for...well anything.

6 hours ago, hyiltiz said:

Ice staff is actually one of the two magic items I will ALWAYS unlock, the other is chilled amulet. It is great in the right hands: you use it to agro guys that usually run away from you.

Your Flingomatic got seated by a HUGE dragoon egg. Good bye.

Ice Staff is not useless, but if I need a ranged weapon to aggro creatures I usually go with blow darts. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
TeoSS69    2,204
Just now, AnonymousKoala said:

I'm Maxwell

Ice Staff is not useless,

Damn right. Ice Staff + Puppets = Dead bosses without effort.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Mday    426
16 hours ago, hyiltiz said:

Ice staff is actually one of the two magic items I will ALWAYS unlock. It is great in the right hands: you use it to agro guys that usually run away from you.

Same here.

It is usually the first thing I unlock after i put down a prestihatitator, as long as I have enough blue/purple gem for the shadow manipulator.

One thing I like to do is to catch birds with it because sometimes it can take forever for the birds to land on a baited bird trap.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
DeputyDeath    262
11 hours ago, AnonymousKoala said:

True. Though I don't care about sanity that much on this run at least. I'm Maxwell so excuse me if I forget the sanity cost for...well anything.

Ice Staff is not useless, but if I need a ranged weapon to aggro creatures I usually go with blow darts. 

The ice staff only removes 1 sanity per use, so your sanity will go down a total of 20 for the entire staff. Pretty neglible sanity cost to say the least.

I'd use a boomerang for attracting the aggro of creatures personally. 

Overall, I don't think that the ice staff is necessarily useless but pretty much all of its functions can be performed with something else. I've crafted a few in the past but very rarely used them, and even then it wasn't as if freezing an enemy or two did much for my survival chances. Just outright killing them would be easier.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
AnonymousKoala    3,635
6 minutes ago, DeputyDeath said:

The ice staff only removes 1 sanity per use, so your sanity will go down a total of 20 for the entire staff. Pretty neglible sanity cost to say the least.

I'd use a boomerang for attracting the aggro of creatures personally. 

Overall, I don't think that the ice staff is necessarily useless but pretty much all of its functions can be performed with something else. I've crafted a few in the past but very rarely used them, and even then it wasn't as if freezing an enemy or two did much for my survival chances. Just outright killing them would be easier.

Using Boomerang? Who does that? Seriously, is it actually a lot more popular than I gave it credit for?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
TeoSS69    2,204

Actually I just noticed that in SW enabled worlds the Ice Staff doesn't stun mobs anymore... Yay info fragmentation! Good job Klei. Of all the things you needed to do, having unannounced different basic rules across all your DLCs was a priority!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
AnonymousKoala    3,635
Just now, TeoSS69 said:

Actually I just noticed that in SW enabled worlds the Ice Staff doesn't stun mobs anymore... Yay info fragmentation! Good job Klei. Of all the things you needed to do, having unannounced different basic rules across all your DLCs was a priority!

It still freezes. Did it ever do more than that?

If we're gonna complain about staves, lets talk about how using the volcano staff just outright crashes the game when you do it outside of SW

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
TeoSS69    2,204
Just now, AnonymousKoala said:

It still freezes. Did it ever do more than that?

If we're gonna complain about staves, lets talk about how using the volcano staff just outright crashes the game when you do it outside of SW

It stunned mobs on hit. You could order followers to attack Deerclops for instance and hit it with the Staff when it started to do the attack animation, to stun it and cancel the attack, thus keeping your followers safe. Was great for Wendy and Maxwell players.

Probably because there's no Volcano around. They should add a secondary effect to it though, like the Telestaff causes mini earthquakes in caves/ruins.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
DeputyDeath    262
1 hour ago, AnonymousKoala said:

Using Boomerang? Who does that? Seriously, is it actually a lot more popular than I gave it credit for?

It's cheap as hell. It has a pretty low durability but you'll probably only be using it occasionally, so that's fine.

Plus, decent for killing birds if you feel like it. A good way to get rid of spare charcoal from volcanic eruptions and silk too.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
stl1234    284
9 hours ago, AnonymousKoala said:

Using Boomerang? Who does that?

Getting aggro from distance is useful, koalefants, tallbirds (easily get aggro of exactly one when there is a group of them), prime apes (wall them off + boomerang + dodge = manure). Birds + rabbits + moleworms die in one strike, which is also useful.

It is dirt cheap and ranged. It isn't a necessity, but it saves quite a bit of time when dealing with things that are annoying to deal with when only using melee weapons. And I'd rather save the more expensive items for mobs/situations that require them (blue gems do not grow on trees, neither do reeds).

I typically carry one with me.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
AnonymousKoala    3,635
2 hours ago, stl1234 said:

Getting aggro from distance is useful, koalefants, tallbirds (easily get aggro of exactly one when there is a group of them), prime apes (wall them off + boomerang + dodge = manure). Birds + rabbits + moleworms die in one strike, which is also useful.

It is dirt cheap and ranged. It isn't a necessity, but it saves quite a bit of time when dealing with things that are annoying to deal with when only using melee weapons. And I'd rather save the more expensive items for mobs/situations that require them (blue gems do not grow on trees, neither do reeds).

I typically carry one with me.

I always prefered blow darts. the eyeshot's even cheaper in a way.

Eh maybe I'll give it a try.

11 hours ago, TeoSS69 said:

It stunned mobs on hit. You could order followers to attack Deerclops for instance and hit it with the Staff when it started to do the attack animation, to stun it and cancel the attack, thus keeping your followers safe. Was great for Wendy and Maxwell players.

Probably because there's no Volcano around. They should add a secondary effect to it though, like the Telestaff causes mini earthquakes in caves/ruins.

I like the idea of a secondary effect. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
hyiltiz    267
On 4/19/2016 at 1:43 AM, TeoSS69 said:

I've yet to hit a Flingomatic with the Volcano Staff's eggs.

Are you implying that the eggs "sees" the flingo and never lands on it (written in the code), or that the chance of landing on the flingo is small?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
TeoSS69    2,204
11 minutes ago, hyiltiz said:

Are you implying that the eggs "sees" the flingo and never lands on it (written in the code), or that the chance of landing on the flingo is small?

I'm saying that you can aim with the staff, so the eggs don't land of the flingo/s

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
hyiltiz    267
Just now, TeoSS69 said:

I'm saying that you can aim with the staff, so the eggs don't land of the flingo/s

Ouch, so we "see" the flingo xD

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
AnonymousKoala    3,635
1 hour ago, hyiltiz said:

Ouch, so we "see" the flingo xD

Just put it in a good enough distance from the actual flingo. It'll fire a barrage of dragoon eggs, and some have a slight curve. But if its in a fair distance away, it wont hit anything important.

1 hour ago, hyiltiz said:

Are you implying that the eggs "sees" the flingo and never lands on it (written in the code), or that the chance of landing on the flingo is small?

Wild dragoon eggs(eruptions) can and probably will hurt flingo.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
IvanX    69
On 18.04.2016 at 4:14 PM, Mday said:

Use ice staff on lava pool = 2 Rocks + 2 Ashes + 1 Charcoal

Use ice on lava pool = obsidian

I have a feeling that this should not have been the case.

 

On 18.04.2016 at 8:06 PM, AnonymousKoala said:

Would actually be nice.

I use the ice staff rarely, and after using the volcano staff today(which btw you should do, it actually is able of producing so much obsidian), a method to extinguish the lava pools that is ranged and quicker would be so good.

 

Read your posts today, and there you go: http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=670190231

Didn't take long, one hour to make a stable mode, another hour for the icon. Enjoy :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
AnonymousKoala    3,635
10 hours ago, IvanX said:

 

Read your posts today, and there you go: http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=670190231

Didn't take long, one hour to make a stable mode, another hour for the icon. Enjoy :)

Thaaaaank you. 

Now to remember to enable this haha. Defiently gonna make the next obsidian farming session more enjoyable. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites