What things in this game are dumb and need fixing?

On 4/4/2016 at 8:13 PM, DeputyDeath said:

Who even uses the volcano staff though? It's the equivalent of the winter/Summer trap in the base game, only you voluntarily went out of your way to craft it and use it. It's the biggest joke of a magic item since the lazy forager, and even that was vaguely useful if you were too lazy (duh) to pick up logs after taking down a forest. I guess you could use it in a rock biome to destroy the krissures (which works kinda well), but you'd be better of with a shovel anyway.

If you ask me, they should remove it altogether.

There are a couple neat/niche uses for the volcano staff. I don't think it's a "joke of a magic item." I really wish it didn't crash in RoG either.

I think it's silly to claim that it should be removed just because you're not keen on how to take advantage of the staff.

Surely the power of Sealnado. It isn't fair that it has 3000 HP, high damage and high speed. But most important and most probably, it'll appear after 30 days about ( during Hurricane season with default settings ). It's very difficult to obtain enough items to fight it.

27 minutes ago, finmat92 said:

Surely the power of Sealnado. It isn't fair that it has 3000 HP, high damage and high speed. But most important and most probably, it'll appear after 30 days about ( during Hurricane season with default settings ). It's very difficult to obtain enough items to fight it.

It's not really that hard to fight though. Kite it by hitting it twice then step back from its melee attacked, and then run away as soon as it starts its sucking animation, then wait for it to come to you. Cutlass Supreme does extra damage so use it over other melee weapons if you're able to find sword fish. Otherwise a spear will do just fine.

If you have issues with the sucking attack, fight it at sea where it spits waves at you instead. Have a decent sail so you can kite it.

On 4/4/2016 at 8:55 PM, Daggaroth said:

It is pretty tragic that Warly, the chef character, doesn't have examination lines for most of the crockpot dishes introduced in Shipwrecked (although I suspect it's the same for all characters)

And I thought the missing baby beefalo was tragic *sniffles*

9 hours ago, voyager156 said:

Well, I would say:
- character quotes (missing or out of character)
- broken bloating of whales
- Wilbur equipping manure when trying to burn it
- no baby water buffalos
- why they didn't make compass useful? (using it, to reveal location of Yaarctopus and Slot Machine)
- Yaarctopus should not go to sleep after every transaction (should sleep only at night)

Same!

17 hours ago, Daggaroth said:

One thing that's always bothered me is the World Customisation; it's not really something I think they'd ever change at this point, but I feel compelled to mention it anyway. 

What I'm talking about specifically is setting stuff to 'More' or 'Lots' tends to be a bit unnecessarily chaotic. For example, setting Clockwork Monsters to More will cause them to plaque every screen of the map, and setting Water Beefalo to More in Shipwrecked will cause groups of them to spawn in any biome on basically every island.

It think it would make a lot more sense and be more reasonable if for something like Clockwork Monsters, they simply spawned more 'Chess Piece' Biomes within the World. As for Beefalo and Water Beefalo, they could spawn in each Savannah and Mangrove respectively.

Maybe for the 'Lots' option it makes sense to have them on every screen, but the jump from Default to More is pretty extreme, and the jump from More to Lots usually isn't too noticeable. I realise that the reason it's like that is probably simplicity of design and programming; after all, it's not too difficult to randomly select coordinates within the world and add the 'More' resources to them, but it's a shame those options don't introduce interesting features like the ring of mushrooms for example. 

I know it's not really a major issue, since I'm sure a lot of players will probably just use the defaults anyway, but I've been administrating a lot of Don't Starve Together servers recently, and less experienced players will request things like More Clockwork Monsters or More Beefalo, and it's awkward explaining to them that it will probably make the game harder, not easier.

I agree. World customization options are far from working properly.

If you want more mobs, you should just spawn them via console commands. That's the best way I believe.

17 hours ago, TeoSS69 said:

Does how easy it is count as a "dumb thing that needs to be fixed"?

Screenshot (165).png

Sheesh well done on doing that!

IDK if that's actually broken though. I've seen a picture of someone getting a Guardian Horn as Wigfrid at day 7, and of course you get some really good items (like the walking cane) spawn randomly in booms that can be accessed at any day.

It's overpowered and maybe a bit TOO random, but it's not like RoG didn't have aspects that relied entirely on luck.

16 hours ago, Moon64 said:

There are a couple neat/niche uses for the volcano staff. I don't think it's a "joke of a magic item." I really wish it didn't crash in RoG either.

I think it's silly to claim that it should be removed just because you're not keen on how to take advantage of the staff.

Fair enough. I'm not pleased with what it does, but I've never actually tried to use it since I first picked it up as it didn't seem at all worth the ingredients.

4 hours ago, DeputyDeath said:

luck.

The only luck involved is the chance to get a cane or not and there's like a 50% chance for that, which is not bad at all. You can spawn it as soon as you got a Science Machine (aka Day 1 with Wicker) and the Quacken is super easy to kill. You can do it with any character.

If you want luck take a look at this :

Screenshot (169).png

That is luck. Being able to get great loot as soon as you find a Gold Nugget isn't.

4 hours ago, DeputyDeath said:

I've never actually tried to use it

You should refrain from talking about items you never used. Seems like a smart thing to do.

5 hours ago, TeoSS69 said:

The only luck involved is the chance to get a cane or not and there's like a 50% chance for that, which is not bad at all. You can spawn it as soon as you got a Science Machine (aka Day 1 with Wicker) and the Quacken is super easy to kill. You can do it with any character.

If you want luck take a look at this :

Screenshot (169).png

That is luck. Being able to get great loot as soon as you find a Gold Nugget isn't.

You should refrain from talking about items you never used. Seems like a smart thing to do.

Damn. Last time I used a slot machine I spawned mosquitos on every other spin.

Okay, maybe it isn't luck for getting Quacken loot so early. Apart from finding the gold (which people exaggerate the difficulty of) and spawning the Quacken, you could do that regardless of how many rabbits' But on the subject of finding a walking cane on a boon, managing to get to its exact location before the first Winter IS luck. It's not useful at all unless you've had a crappy time with drop rates when fighting Mactusk, which as I've said numerous times before you should be doing as often as possible in the first Winter. Unless you're the sort of person who spends a LOT of time exploring the map before making a base (which I don't see as entirely necessary as I keep my bases close to the same biomes anyway), you probably won't find it until you start exploring again in Spring. 

Or maybe that's just me. I've had mixed luck with boons in the past.

Now, the volcano staff. I did use it once, and saw the effects it had on my base and everything surrounding it. When a staff does something that, at first glance, has no obvious purpose other than to screw you over, logically I'm going to refrain from using it in the future. 

Am I at fault for not finding a decent purpose for it? Yes. Do I feel like I actually need to have it? Not at the moment, although some more experience in the volcano may change that.

Just found another thing.

The Icemachine just outputs Ice depending on what you put last in it it seems. So i just wasted 5 Boards because i thought it would go for a while NOPE it gave me 3 Ice and that's it and that's just stupid tbh. Yes the Icemachine is pretty powerfull but still i would rather prefer it if it would work similar to a Firepit where it safes how much input you gave and produced Ice depending on that. Or at least prevent me from inputting new Stuff while it has reached it maximum capacity so i don't waste stuff.

12 minutes ago, Mr.P said:

The Icemachine just outputs Ice depending on what you put last in it it seems.

It has a max fuel limit. It's the equivalent of 2 Logs I think. (So feeding it a Board is a waste, even if just one.)

9 hours ago, Mr.P said:

Firepit where it safes how much input you gave

Ice box has a max fuel like any other fueled item. Firepit max fuel is 360 seconds. Ice maker max fuel is 90 seconds (and produces one ice every 30 seconds).

29 minutes ago, TeoSS69 said:

Quotes are still messy. I just drank a spoiling Coffee with Wolfgang and he gave me Wilson's quote for spoiled food.

How does that even...

On 7.4.2016 at 7:49 PM, DeputyDeath said:

Now, the volcano staff. I did use it once, and saw the effects it had on my base and everything surrounding it. When a staff does something that, at first glance, has no obvious purpose other than to screw you over, logically I'm going to refrain from using it in the future. 

Am I at fault for not finding a decent purpose for it? Yes. Do I feel like I actually need to have it? Not at the moment, although some more experience in the volcano may change that.

Has no purpose than to screw you over? Also, why the **** are you using new stuff in your base? Did Don't Starve never teach you to expriement far away from base? haha

Another dumb thing no one mentioned is: Sealnado's suck attack. It only hurts you. Now this is dumb, because it means even wildbores, who are running and charging at a tornado, with their FACES, while its SUCKING YOU INTO IT, don't get damaged even. 

Just now, AnonymousKoala said:

Another dumb thing no one mentioned is: Sealnado's suck attack. It only hurts you. Now this is dumb, because it means even wildbores, who are running and charging at a tornado, with their FACES, while its SUCKING YOU INTO IT, don't get damaged even. 

Even dumber : You can hide behind a Sign or get on a Boat to be immune to it.

Just now, TeoSS69 said:

Even dumber : You can hide behind a Sign or get on a Boat to be immune to it.

Oh right haha.

This is worse than how wilbur gets attacked by spiders but normal apes don't, when the only difference between wilbur and the apes is that he's playable haha.

Just now, AnonymousKoala said:

How does that even...

Has no purpose than to screw you over? Also, why the **** are you using new stuff in your base? Did Don't Starve never teach you to expriement far away from your base

Yeah but when you have something like a pretty expensive magic item, I never expected it to completely destroy my home. There's no equivalent in RoG.

Once again, it's my fault for testing it there and never using it again, but having a decent base destroyed because you used what looked like cool loot would leave a bitter taste in anybody's mouth.

1 hour ago, DeputyDeath said:

Yeah but when you have something like a pretty expensive magic item, I never expected it to completely destroy my home. There's no equivalent in RoG.

Once again, it's my fault for testing it there and never using it again, but having a decent base destroyed because you used what looked like cool loot would leave a bitter taste in anybody's mouth.

How's it expensive though?

Yeah I can't argue with bitter taste. I despise apes after dismantling a monkey village base when the silly monkey chest glitch was fixed.

Like, it was hurricane season, they stole all the equipment, ran through walls and glitched out, forcing me to destroy walls to get to them, ate my berry bushes, coffee, harvested my things, stole my glitched lanterns, made my sanity be at 0 for quite some time, Krampi came(because while killing the poor scared quacken which doesn't even have bread to eat doesn't make Krampus care, he does care when APE JERKS die), and since lightning rod range wasn't enough appearently, it burned down half the "village", and then I weather pain'd/burned the rest, harpooned, and sent spiders in order to torture the apes.

At the end Webber came back home with a lot of morsels, a lot of bananas, poop, misc. and mental scars.

Archived