What things in this game are dumb and need fixing?

4 hours ago, AnonymousKoala said:

You call something problematic because of your preference and because its so easily to accidently activate(meaning its your mistake. I actually think its so easy to accidently activate as well, but again, it would be my mistake if I did so). Its an issue for you, not for others.

It even says on the wiki that the lazy explorer is problematic, although the problem only really applies when resetting tooth traps. Still though, why they couldn't add in a separate keybind to teleport is beyond my comprehension. I just carry both a walking cane an lazy explorer on me in RoG to avoid any wasted teleports nowadays

You know when you're fighting enemies that have awkward aggro patterns (like mosquitos) and you'll start accidentally attacking Packim? Well, that problem falls into the same category as the lazy explorer stupidness . It's avoidable, but they could've made if much better by not adding a separate keybind to force attack followers. Because who the hell would slap Chester with a ham bat intentionally? It's illogical unless your THAT desperate to get health with a bat bat.

8 hours ago, TeoSS69 said:

I mean, don't say things are useless just because of your own personal bias.

That's  a pretty dumb thing to say. It being useless is my opinion, so of course that I'm going to have a personal bias in There. Why? Because my opinion is based on my own experiences and thoughts, not those of others. Because, y'know, it's MY opinion.

Look, getting a stupid amount of walking canes is still ridiculous in an RoG/SW linked world because you can get all the walking canes that you'll ever need within a single Winter. It may not be USELESS to have 6 lazy explorers, but I've never been in a situation where I've actually felt the need to use one. I either fight my way out or run away, and neither of those really requires teleportation.

It's like having 3 fridges full of ice or a few stacks of gears as any character other than WX-78. Sure, it's not useless, but the effort you put into acquiring these things would've been far better spent doing something else. Unless of course you’ve run out of things to do to such an extent that you'll just craft expensive stuff in large quantities for no real purpose. Surely by that point you would've made a new world anyway?

6 hours ago, AnonymousKoala said:

It makes retrieving the tentacles harder, but hey, still possible. 

Oh okay, so please enlighten me on how to get them then. Am I just too slow? ;)

On 3.4.2016 at 7:41 PM, TeoSS69 said:
  • "It's a thing..."

I also just noticed all characters are still using their examination quotes for ponds when examining shoals. Willow: "This pond will definitely not ignite. How dull." :?

Just now, Mueck said:

I also just noticed all characters are still using their examination quotes for ponds when examining shoals. Willow: "This pond will definitely not ignite. How dull." :?

"I can see my face reflected on top" - Maxwell

Reflection. In this one particular part of the ocean.

23 hours ago, DeputyDeath said:

the examination quotes that already are in the game don't really match up to the character very well. Okay, Wolfgang's quotes don't match up with Wolfgang's personality, I'm not sure about the rest.

When Wendy hits a wave and pushes her forward, she says, "My spirit soars!" Which is probably the most alive and not-obsessed with death she's ever been, it just seems so out of character to me. 

On 4/3/2016 at 1:41 AM, Daggaroth said:

One thing I want to know about is the Day counter. As others have mentioned:

• using the Teleportato now seems to preserve Day count, whereas it didn't from what I remember from the ol' Vanilla days
    • To clarify, if you world jump on day 50, you will start on day 2-50 rather than 2-1. I wondered if this change was intended for people that like enjoy setting survival records, however, it has some consequences. While the first Hound wave of the new world will be as expected, subsequent waves will be as intense as the 'day count' implies. So if you world hop after Day 100, you better bring something with you to prepare you for 10 angry dogs. Things like Treeguard spawn rates will also still be in effect. While you can prepared for this harsher 'beginning' when you hop, it can be risky.

The same thing happened to me and I can assure you it is not intended... 

Question... have you already reported this in the Bug Tracker section??

On 4/3/2016 at 1:41 AM, Daggaroth said:
  • going into the Caves / Ruins / Volcano seems to mess it up

Same thing here.. I rolled back to a back up save file and I have completely ignored the volcano since. I extremely dislike the fact that the day counter does not show the real in-game days you have survived: It rolls back to the day you last entered the volcano... or, and this one is the worst, it can reset your day count entirely to day one. I mean.... it is just absolutely broken...

4 hours ago, FreyaMaluk said:

The same thing happened to me and I can assure you it is not intended... 

Question... have you already reported this in the Bug Tracker section??

It would be nice if they recorded current world day count and total play file day count separately like: 1-60 (60) -> move -> 2-1 (61) -> keep playing -> 2-30 (90), but I wouldn't get my hopes up for that.

I haven't submitted it to the Bug Tracker yet, mostly because I used to use the Shipwrecked Early Access one, but I can submit to the regular DS I suppose since it seems the happen even in the vanilla game

15 hours ago, Mueck said:

It takes 2 days until something that sinks truly sinks.

Unless its at deep sea. 

39 minutes ago, oCrapaCreeper said:

Probably not a bug really, but there are treeguards for palm trees but no treeguards for the jungle trees. Quite annoying when your tree farm is jungle and you need living logs

why do you need living logs in sw? also other trees already spawn snakes and it is enough i guess. when you chop down mostly there is an action. Also living logs is not an important item in sw.

You can always bring pinecones from rog too for this purpose or birchnuts and i don't really know what would be the use of living logs.. You want sword? you got a better alternative.. other than sword no use of living logs.

6 minutes ago, Gingerbread said:

why do you need living logs in sw? also other trees already spawn snakes and it is enough i guess. when you chop down mostly there is an action. Also living logs is not an important item in sw.

You can always bring pinecones from rog too for this purpose or birchnuts.

You need them for the same reasons you need them in a normal game. Shadow Manipulators, darkswords, telelocators, etc. It's also nice to already have the living log needed to make the Seaworthy when you jump to RoG.

Just now, oCrapaCreeper said:

Shadow Manipulators and Telelocators. It's also nice to already have the living log needed to make the Seaworthy when you jump to RoG.

u can find enough living logs for them all when u explore. there is enough living logs in the world from totally normal trees. problem is exploration takes time in sw and it may take forever to find them. telelocator staff and focus. meh it has never been a crucial structure if u ask me.. It is very hard to use that thing..

1 minute ago, Gingerbread said:

u can find enough living logs for them all when u explore. there is enough living logs in the world from totally normal trees. problem is exploration takes time in sw and it may take forever to find them. telelocator staff and focus. meh it has never been a crucial structure if u ask me.. It is very hard to use that thing..

Need at least 13 living logs in most of my games. Living trees aren't enough.

57 minutes ago, oCrapaCreeper said:

Need at least 13 living logs in most of my games. Living trees aren't enough.

telelocator focus is not important and it is a late game activity when u got nothing to do just build it for decoration purpose.. i am guessing u can find at least 3 totally normal tree which is enough. just premake a shadow man and go to rog. come back with lotza rog trees. I am OK with it cuz it actually gives u a reason to travel to rog world.

1 minute ago, Gingerbread said:

telelocator focus is not important and it is a late game activity when u got nothing to do just build it for devoration purpose.. i am guessing u can find at least 3 totally normal tree which is enough. just premake a shadow man and go to rog. come back with lotza rog trees.

Pre-built structures don't carry over when using the Seaworthy.

One thing that's always bothered me is the World Customisation; it's not really something I think they'd ever change at this point, but I feel compelled to mention it anyway. 

What I'm talking about specifically is setting stuff to 'More' or 'Lots' tends to be a bit unnecessarily chaotic. For example, setting Clockwork Monsters to More will cause them to plaque every screen of the map, and setting Water Beefalo to More in Shipwrecked will cause groups of them to spawn in any biome on basically every island.

It think it would make a lot more sense and be more reasonable if for something like Clockwork Monsters, they simply spawned more 'Chess Piece' Biomes within the World. As for Beefalo and Water Beefalo, they could spawn in each Savannah and Mangrove respectively.

Maybe for the 'Lots' option it makes sense to have them on every screen, but the jump from Default to More is pretty extreme, and the jump from More to Lots usually isn't too noticeable. I realise that the reason it's like that is probably simplicity of design and programming; after all, it's not too difficult to randomly select coordinates within the world and add the 'More' resources to them, but it's a shame those options don't introduce interesting features like the ring of mushrooms for example. 

I know it's not really a major issue, since I'm sure a lot of players will probably just use the defaults anyway, but I've been administrating a lot of Don't Starve Together servers recently, and less experienced players will request things like More Clockwork Monsters or More Beefalo, and it's awkward explaining to them that it will probably make the game harder, not easier.

6 minutes ago, Gingerbread said:

it is fine. then get ur items and go there. making shadow man and coming back does not take more than a day if u got all items.

I'm not necessarily saying there should be jungle treeguards because of the living log issue, but rather it lets you completely avoid the threat of tree guards if you only chop jungle trees. Snakes are nothing.

Also, pine trees have treeguards, birch trees have treeguards, lumpy trees have treeguards, palm trees has treeguards, but not jungle? That makes no sense at all and is caused by either overlooking or simply laziness. 

7 minutes ago, oCrapaCreeper said:

I'm not necessarily saying there should be jungle treeguards because of the living log issue, but rather it lets you completely avoid the threat of tree guards if you only chop jungle trees. Snakes are nothing.

Also for consistency sakes. Pine trees have treeguards, birch has treeguards, lumpy has treeguards, palm has treeguards, but not jungle? That makes no sense at all.

that makes total sense as other trees got no snakes and random drops. U chop down a tree and get snakes to deal with. if there is also treeguards for that tree it would be too much to deal with just to get some woods. snakes are nothing as well as any other mobs including sealnado and tiger shark or treeguards. they steal ur time but always easy to kill. Problem is it takes too much time snake spawn + treeguard is too much.

Just now, Gingerbread said:

that makes total sense as other trees got no snakes and random drops. U chop down a tree and get snakes to deal with. if there is also treeguards for that tree it would be too much to deal with just to get some woods. snakes are nothing as well as any other mobs including sealnado and tiger shark or treeguards. they steal ur time but always easy to kill. Problem is it takes too much time snake spawn + treeguard is too much.

Snakes are nothing and can easily be dispatched with an axe, even if one of them is poisonous. 

My point is that if every other tree in the game that supplies wood has a treeguard, then there's no excuse for jungle trees not to have one.

1 minute ago, oCrapaCreeper said:

Snakes are nothing and can easily be dispatched with an axe, even if one of them is poisonous. 

My point is that if every other tree in the game that supplies wood has a treeguard, then there's no excuse for jungle trees not to have one.

IMO snake spawn is fine and it can even be more snakes liek 5-6 at a time but i dont really like getting free food from those trees. or remove snakes and put a badass treeguard that has never been seen. but snake+treeguard is too much thing to do just to get wood and it could be annoying.

One thing that always botherd me was that Prime-Apes don't trigger the Webbing of Spiderdens. I saw that multiple times where a Monkey or even a Monkryhut was sitting right next to the Spiderden and not a single Spider showed up to deal with the Apes.

I mean it's another point of inconsistency since every other landdwelling creature triggers the webbing yet Apes get a special pass. I mean i don't get it.

• Remove Banana drop from Jungle Tree. It makes no sense and makes farming food too easy. You can already farm Banana on Monkey anyway.
  • Give Monkey a hit&run attack pattern. It's weird that when against the player they just run away but when against boss they stay in melee at all time. It also make Monkey war too easy to exploit because of how fast they kill each other.
  • Crockpot. I mean nothing new there but SW crockpot are too much Health oriented which means that there is no reason to use most of them.
  • Mussel Bouillabaisse refused by Yaarctopus.

What things in this game are dumb and need fixing?

Well, I would say:
- character quotes (missing or out of character)
- broken bloating of whales
- a Warly buff & Walani surfboard (small) buff
- land nightmares appearing (teleporting) onto water
- Wilbur equipping manure when trying to burn it
- no baby water buffalos
- doydos stupidly walking into walls (yeah, I know they are stupid - but com on...)
- why they didn't make compass useful? (using it, to reveal location of Yaarctopus and Slot Machine)
- Yaarctopus should not go to sleep after every transaction (should sleep only at night)
- gobllers (qazuars) why not in game? One was shown ready in game (dev. podcast i think)
- this one fu%#$g, annoying bug - when every item you make, is wet

Archived