So what's the general opinion on SW now?

As the title says what do you guys think of Shipwrecked now that it's out of early acces?

Gotta say i'm really torn on the entire thing there is a lot i like and a good amount i also don't like. I think it's best when i put it on a Pro and Con kinda way.

Pros:

- The new worlds really capture the Tropical Atmosphere and the Creatures in the World perfectly reflect this. No matter if it's just small things like Toucans and Parrots replacing the usual birds or the Tropical Spiderwarriors it just oozes Tropical Vacation.

- A lot of the new items are pretty cool like the Speargun or just the Machete (a great substitute for an earlygame Spear). Mostly because they do things that the basegame lacked (like a more usefull ranged weapon that was a lot more affordable)

- I actually like the challenges the new seasons provide even though some are a tad more annoying then others. Sure once you know what to do they are a lot easier to manage but there is also stuff like surviving Hurricane Season in a more nomadic playstyle.

- I love the concept of hunting for Treasures with the X Marks the Spots. Just the thrill of getting close to a new chests makes me smile and even if it just contains a few Dubloons i still feel like it was worth going after it just to see if i hit the Jack Pot.

Cons:

- Characters feel uninspired and just not as fun to play as the Vanilla and RoG cast. I haven't touched a single SW char since Release the Quacken and tbh i doubt that i will ever play as anyone of them again (maybe Woodlegs for a spin once i unlocked him)

- Certaint Biomes feel empty and just not worthwhile. Mangroves are a prime example besides Water Beefalos there is nothing interesting happening in them nor are there any unique Creatures there (still waiting for my Clock-O-Dials). The Volcano is another prime example besides the Obsidian Workbench (what you can ignore with a Brain of Thought) and the Alter of Snackrifices there is nothing interesting in there past your first visit where you will strip it of all Coffeebushes and gather enought Mats to make your own Dragoon Dens.

- Sailing despite being advertised as one of the Mainfeatures isn't as interesting as it could have been. For starters Boats basicly follow a straight upgraderule with only a slight difference between the Armored and Cargo Boat (even then Armored is still better). And I think i don't have to mention Seacombat again.

- Certaint creatures are just not worth dealing with. This is mostly directed towards Prime-Apes and Sea Hounds since both are main creatures in SW yet as a player you want to be as far away from those things as possible.

- The amount of obvious bugs. I mean things like the bug with Willows Ligher, Water Beefalos having no baby version or the severe absence of SW Gobblers (despite there apprently being one) is just really mindboggeling in my eyes. And sure bugs can always show up but these aren't small bugs that happen by accident these have been known for a while.

So all in all SW is a mixed bag for me there is a lot to like but also a lot to dislike and i just can't decide if the good can fully outweight the bad. Sure it's not terrible or a DLC ala Electronic Arts (rather write it out so people don't confuse the abreviation with Early Acces) but i feel like there could have been so much more and as i said it i wouldn't mind dropping another 5 bucks on further development on SW just so it can reach a level of quality that easily rivals the Basegame and RoG instead of feeling a bit tacked on.

I agree.

On its own SW really needs a lot of stuff, as you said.

Playing it via world integration makes it better though, and it feels like it should have been added like 1 huge "cave"(go in, build stuff, die to stuff, kill stuff, explore stuff, go back out with new stuff). But its like it cant decide what it wants to be.

It tries to be a standalone world with OPTIONAL integration, but ends up as something that would have worked better as some sort of a cave/ruins like "world", with not enough focus in that aspect.

12 minutes ago, AnonymousKoala said:

I agree.

On its own SW really needs a lot of stuff, as you said.

Playing it via world integration makes it better though, and it feels like it should have been added like 1 huge "cave"(go in, build stuff, die to stuff, kill stuff, explore stuff, go back out with new stuff). But its like it cant decide what it wants to be.

It tries to be a standalone world with OPTIONAL integration, but ends up as something that would have worked better as some sort of a cave/ruins like "world", with not enough focus in that aspect.

I wonder if they would have added more content if Shipwrecked had remained a standalone. 

It looks like they have given up many ideas like the  "tick clockwork" they were talking about, and even existing stuff such as peacocks (who used to be a thing) and that they haven't taken the trouble to implement them in the end.   

Considering the price, more content cannot be expected, in my view.

However, the amount of bugs and misbalances left in the game, gives me the impression of a rushed development and an abandoned product. 

To be honest, I feel disappointed and regret buying the game so eagerly. I will be more wary of future early access projects. 

2 minutes ago, Mueck said:

To be honest, I feel disappointed and regret buying the game so eagerly. I will be more wary of future early access projects. 

TBH here SW is still on the Upper scale of Early Acces titles. Just look at games like Starbound that have been in EA for almost 2 years and still have no idea where they really want to go with the game. Or look at Nekro a game i was totaly stocked about and what now seems to be abandoned so close to version 1.0

At least it's miles better then most of those poorly made Early Acces Zombie survival games that use 90% Unity Stockassets.

5 minutes ago, Hundkerchief said:

I wonder if they would have added more content if Shipwrecked had remained a standalone. 

It looks like they have given up many ideas like the  "tick clockwork" they were talking about, and even existing stuff such as peacocks (who used to be a thing) and that they haven't taken the trouble to implement them in the end.   

Baboons FeelsBadMan Why weren't they ever added :/

5 minutes ago, Mueck said:

However, the amount of bugs and misbalances left in the game, gives me the impression of a rushed development and an abandoned product. 

Thing is, they advertised it as its own unique world and I believe it has even been said to rival Vanilla's world. Its far from that. Also they wanted to make it at the time it took to make RoG. RoG was tweaks and content added on a stable game and world. SW is its own world that tries to become an addon while trying to become standalone. 

Just now, Mr.P said:

TBH here SW is still on the Upper scale of Early Acces titles. Just look at games like Starbound that have been in EA for almost 2 years and still have no idea where they really want to go with the game. Or look at Nekro a game i was totaly stocked about and what now seems to be abandoned so close to version 1.0

At least it's miles better then most of those poorly made Early Acces Zombie survival games that use 90% Unity Stockassets.

That's like saying "at least having 1 hand cut off is better than having both". Relative success is not what people should go for IMO.

Just now, AnonymousKoala said:

That's like saying "at least having 1 hand cut off is better than having both". Relative success is not what people should go for IMO.

True but i was just saying we could have gotten much Worse then what we have here. Still doesn't mean that we should gobble everything up just because it's relatively Cheap.

I was mostly saying that there are a lot worse Early Acces games that are not just more expensive but also offer less then SW does so from an EA standpoint SW is in the upper range.

10 minutes ago, Mueck said:

Yes, I think for 5 bucks Shipwrecked is a more than honest, very well done high quality dlc, plus they never said that it would rival with the base game, it's pure fantasy to claim they said so. 

However the fact that many planned stuff (peacocks, baby beefalos (?), ticks) seemed to have been abandoned, and above all the still remaining performance issues, give a bit the impression that it has been somewhat 'rushed' at the end, that Shipwrecked's development was not has slick and neat as RoG and that they didn't get to the bottom of things. 

Bugs. Bugs. Bugs. Bugs. Bugs. Bugs. Bugs. Bugs.

I've been playing 5 saves in parallel and I keep finding them. Can't help but feel that it's still incomplete.

I wish they decided to integrate it from the beginning with DS/RoG, that way maybe we wouldn't have so many reskins and the Characters wouldn't be so underpowered in DS/RoG. Current version would've made more sense as a separate game for the price but it is what it is. A really cool "cave" and "ruin". Overall I like it, and I like some of the changes that it brought, but those bugs though...

I find shipwrecked fun, although it is lacking a bit in new content.

It is for $5 (or 5$) after all, and that when compared to the content that we did get, is very very cheap. Considering the fact that some games like sims 3/4 take $40 for SOME extra content (looking at you Island Paradise and Showtime), Shipwrecked is a very great game money wise.

I just wish that they would charge us $15 and make it a great game than $5 and have it be a good game.

15 minutes ago, Hundkerchief said:

Yes, I think for 5 bucks Shipwrecked is a more than honest, very well done high quality dlc, plus they never said that it would rival with the base game, it's pure fantasy to claim they said so. 

However the fact that many planned stuff (peacocks, baby beefalos (?), ticks) seemed to have been abandoned, and above all the still remaining performance issues, give a bit the impression that it has been somewhat 'rushed' at the end, that Shipwrecked's development was not has slick and neat as RoG and that they didn't get to the bottom of things. 

The ticks(pawns actually) were appearently planned for vanilla, same for Flups. 

Shipwrecked feels rushed and, sorry to say this Klei and Capy, halfassed. The Characters are dull, sailing is tedious, world integration is awkward, most of the mobs are forgettable or useless/just annoying to the player (Reskined mobs are the same thing just tropical and maybe a slight mechanic change.) , 2 of the 3 giants are a complete joke the first time you fight them, and once you get a bunch of ally's/hostile mobs on Sealnado he's a walk in the park. The Volcano feels like an even lesser version of the work in progress caves in vanilla. Some items have no reason to exist/exist anymore. (Eyebrella, Dark Sword, Pegleg Weapon, Cactus Spike, etc. I don't even want to mention reskins.) Klei and or Capy seem to take suggestions at random, good or bad. (Nerfed Warly, who was already useless enough.) During Klei and Capys stream yesterday, Some devs (Their names have slipped my mind for some reason.) were wondering why they were losing sanity on land while playing Woodlegs, I don't mean to sound rude, but if I were playing a game that I had a hand in working on, why would I forget one of Shipwrecked's 4 characters perks? Of course, I'm aware everyone makes mistakes, but it's kind of concerning the devs forgot how something as simple as that mechanic worked in their own game.

Klei, Capy, this Expansion(?) is a steal at 5$, but it's just not finished or refined enough to be called complete.

Also, sorry if this wall of text is not grammatically correct and/or rambley. (Although it probably is.)

1 hour ago, Prakhar said:

I just wish that they would charge us $15 and make it a great game than $5 and have it be a good game.

Basicly this.

I said it numerous times now that i wouldn't have minded to pay an increased price for SW to get a proper finished experience rather then what we got now.

And to think that SW was supposed to be a Standalone I mean if what we got would have been a Standalone well then i'm sorry to say this but it could have never stood up againts the maingame not with the direction SW seemed to go.

I enjoy it. It is wildly different from RoG, and as someone who's already mastered that expansion it was nice to see Shipwrecked really mix things up.

I feel like I'm the only person who gets very few bugs, but maybe I'm just not paying close attention.

I prefer the exploration in Shipwrecked. Everything feels more random. Also, as I realised in DST recently, the lack of patchwork biomes in Shipwrecked is a blessing.

I like the idea that some obstacles genuinely cannot be overcome without severe consequences, like sharks and dry season, because the base game was too tame past a certain point. And then you have flooding, which is preventable but requires a lot of resources to set up defenses against; whereas the only equivalent in RoG (withering/smoldering) required far fewer resources to control. In fact, each challenge requires different items or methods to overcome, which makes it less monotonous than RoG. Whatever you do in Shipwrecked, it's much better than wearing an eyebrella for a full ~35 days and then the Tam o' Shanter through the next ~35, that's for sure. 

In general actually, all the new items in SW are useful and unique in some way or another. I can't think of a cat cap/lazy forager/weather pain equivalent in terms of pure stupidness in Shipwrecked, or at least not in the full release version of the game. We all remember the obsidian tools of old, don't we?

It does feel a bit anaemic in terms of actual content, but if I'm entirely honest I really don't care about that. It takes so much effort to make a decent base in SW compared to RoG (if you're importing stuff from other islands) that I tend not to notice.

Above all this, for the money I paid for it, I couldn't ask for anything more really. What else could I have got for £3.50? An okay cup of coffee from Costa? A few bags of bonbons? A hat in TF2? A weapon pack in PAYDAY 2? Half of Undertale? A less overrated indie game?

£3.50 really isn't much. It quite literally is as cheap as chips. I have gotten 30-50 hours out of Shipwrecked and have had fun with almost every moment of it.

That said, I'd still pay another £10 for a few more content updates. I hope Klei/Capy realise that most members of the community will give them more money to continue developing this expansion pack and add new content. I really don't know why they don't set up a donation system for new content updates, because it'd benefit both them and the community.

TL:DR Fun? Yes. New and unique? Yes. Am I satisfied? Yes.

Would I pay for more anyway? Of course I would. That's how capitalism works.

1 hour ago, DeputyDeath said:

Everything feels more random.

Whatever you do in Shipwrecked, it's much better than wearing an eyebrella for a full ~35 days and then the Tam o' Shanter through the next ~35, that's for sure. 

I honestly hate (sorry for such a strong word!) how random shipwrecked is. The possibility of not finding the volcano, yaarctopus, and slot machine is too high (In two of my worlds where I put a fair emphasis on exploring its taken over 100 days to find the volcano...) And the fact that you can happen upon a full thulicite set in a chest / from the slot machine... I don't want my endgame to be chance based.

And wearing the dumbrella for 3/4 of the year is better? :p

12 minutes ago, BlindGunner said:

I honestly hate (sorry for such a strong word!) how random shipwrecked is. The possibility of not finding the volcano, yaarctopus, and slot machine is too high (In two of my worlds where I put a fair emphasis on exploring its taken over 100 days to find the volcano...) And the fact that you can happen upon a full thulicite set in a chest / from the slot machine... I don't want my endgame to be chance based.

And wearing the dumbrella for 3/4 of the year is better? :p

Yeah, come to think of it you wear the dumbrella for half the year in Shipwrecked.

But why would you wear it in Hurricane season? The rain is so light that you really don't need wetness protection.

2 hours ago, Rellimarual said:

Are you high? The weather pain is insanely useful for harvesting wood!

Bigfoot dude. Hell, just get a team of 10 or so pigs and you're golden.

I'd rather use all those feathers for luxury fans, but the snow chester + thermal stone renders those fairly useless too. This, coupled with the fact that she/it drops less meat than other giants, is why I hate the Goose/Goose.

I must say, i was waiting for this thread since full launch earlier this week.

After playing 300+ hours on this DLC, i have experiment so many bug that i can't count them all. The last one was so bitter that it really push me out for a while:

Perfect 1st summer, i was surviving inside the volcano with woodlegs and i had two doydoy feathers to finish the last days in peace. Since last patch, obsidian became quite a catch, you have to either get lucky on the slot machine or destroy blocks yourself with explosives or "thanks but no thanks, volcano's meatballs".

Well i like challenge so i decided to use "meatballs meteor" to do the dirty work. It was an hell of a work but i manage to grab enough obsidians for one fire and one machete.

Everything was great dispite "instant 90°C overheating" with frost thermal stone and banapop.

Inside volcano, weird season's  "FPS drop" can be really bad specially during eruption. This time i got them + no shadow on meatballs, get instant kills whereas i was running like the Flash with a 90% football helmet and got revived to one of my touchstone.

I can be a good public so, despite dying so unfairly, in my mind, i wanted to get back inside and finish this.

But hey, what about killing all your sounds/music and spawning magical summer hound at revival ?

I agree with all of you guys but as Hundkerchief said, those nasty FPS drop plunder your experience during hurricane/mansoon and ofc summer seasons.

They are less horrible than past patches but man...the game is "release" now and still, they can occur at the worst time possible !

When life and death can be a matter of seconds you can't think of releasing a game without fixing "permanently" something that was around since day 1!

My two cents on future update :

- Adjust recipe cost to the new scarcity of obsidian or increase loot ratio on blocks from volcano.

- Fixing for good FPS drop during all seasons.

- Fixing the waves...(ex: Walani can surf big ones but oftenly you get hit hard and even if you succeed no speed boost, why is that ?!)

- Change something about sea's puddles ! (anything really, sometimes this is just absurd !)

- Add late game tasks/challenges.

- Add turtle/turtle eggs to the game, it can be just like Glommer in RoG! :)

- Making Doydoy nest should be more usefull.

Uninspired, unpolished and lackluster.

I kept saying they went the wrong way about it since the first moment I saw it.

The beta changed nothing, only added more uninspired and lackluster content.

Should not have been handed over to Capy, what can I say.

I think it is well worth the price, but it is a massive waste of potential.

Also what the heck happened to these god-flippin forums.

I actually am really enjoying it. I only started playing it when it came out of EA, but I have been having a lot of fun exploring and stuff. I haven't seen much in the way of bugs personally, but hitting the waves correctly seems a bit wonky. Also I'm surprised I'm not the only one having slowdown in the rainy seasons. 

Archived