Uh, so do Water Beefalo not repopulate or have baby versions?

So far the herd of Water Beefalo in my world finished going through heat multiple times, yet I have never seen their baby versions nor do they seem to be repopulating. DebugSpawning "babyox" into the world makes them appear invisible. 

Was that overlooked? That seems like a drastic mistake for something not in early access anymore.

EDIT: I dug through some code to see if I can understand what's going on.

I'm not a programming wizard, but I think they do reproduce. But there are no baby versions, or at least, the game doesn't tell the herd to spawn a baby version. Someone feel free to correct me since I have minimal experience with coding.

In beefaloherd.lua:

inst:AddComponent("periodicspawner")
    inst.components.periodicspawner:SetRandomTimes(TUNING.BEEFALO_MATING_SEASON_BABYDELAY, TUNING.BEEFALO_MATING_SEASON_BABYDELAY_VARIANCE)
    inst.components.periodicspawner:SetPrefab("babybeefalo")
    inst.components.periodicspawner:SetOnSpawnFn(OnSpawned)
    inst.components.periodicspawner:SetSpawnTestFn(CanSpawn)
    inst.components.periodicspawner:SetDensityInRange(20, 6)
    inst.components.periodicspawner:SetOnlySpawnOffscreen(true)

From my understanding the periodocspawner tells the herd to create the "babybeefalo" prefab with under its set spawning conditions.

But if we look in oxherd.lua there's one tiny difference:

inst.components.periodicspawner:SetRandomTimes(TUNING.OX_MATING_SEASON_BABYDELAY, TUNING.OX_MATING_SEASON_BABYDELAY_VARIANCE)
    inst.components.periodicspawner:SetPrefab("ox")

The game tells the herd to simply create "ox", which is the adult version of the Water Beefalo. So they reproduce, but as adults, similar to volt goats.

A "babyox" prefab does exist, but it reuses the same art as the normal beefalo and also turns invisible at some angles, so it was never finished. 

3 hours ago, TemporaryMan said:

It was mentioned several times but I don't think there was any follow-up.  Peacock turkeys are still missing, too.

shhhhh dont remind them of the peacocks.

I have 1 safe heaven from Gobblers. I don't want them back. I will fight you. Or at least wish they'll have some sort of a den so you could exterminate them.

56 minutes ago, AnonymousKoala said:

shhhhh dont remind them of the peacocks.

I have 1 safe heaven from Gobblers. I don't want them back. I will fight you. Or at least wish they'll have some sort of a den so you could exterminate them.

Considering you got Spearguns in Shipwrecked i immagine Gobblers to be a non issue. I mean how much HP does a Gobbler have? 

Can't be much since even Wendy can kill 1 in about 4 swings with a Spear so a speargun should 1 Shot Gobblers if i remember the math right.

2 hours ago, Mr.P said:

Considering you got Spearguns in Shipwrecked i immagine Gobblers to be a non issue. I mean how much HP does a Gobbler have? 

Can't be much since even Wendy can kill 1 in about 4 swings with a Spear so a speargun should 1 Shot Gobblers if i remember the math right.

Gobblers have 50 health, so Wendy can kill them in 1 hit with a cutlass supreme or dark sword and 2 with a spear, as with her 75% damage multiplier she deals 25.5 damage with a spear (normally deals 34) and 51 with a dark sword (normally 68).

I'm having the same beefalo problem as you Creeper. You are not alone...

On 4/3/2016 at 8:08 PM, NoQuitting said:

This thread should be bumped to the top for all eternity until baby water beefalo are officially added.

I'm not quite sure how they didn't get added in the last release. A "babyox" mob does exist but it doesn't naturally spawn, uses the same art as a normal beefalo, and turns invisible at certain angles.

As far as I can tell, baby ox never spawn. Perhaps this is intentional, to prevent players from herding water beefalo as a main food source instead of using the ocean. This doesn't really make a lot of sense though, considering how abundant food in general is in SW.

I'm not a programming wizard, but I think they do reproduce. But there are no baby versions, or at least, the game doesn't tell the herd to spawn a baby version. Someone feel free to correct me since I have minimal experience with coding.

In beefaloherd.lua:

inst.components.periodicspawner:SetRandomTimes(TUNING.BEEFALO_MATING_SEASON_BABYDELAY, TUNING.BEEFALO_MATING_SEASON_BABYDELAY_VARIANCE)
    inst.components.periodicspawner:SetPrefab("babybeefalo")

From my understanding the periodocspawner tells the herd to create the "babybeefalo" prefab with under its set spawning conditions.

But if we look in oxherd.lua there's one tiny difference:

inst.components.periodicspawner:SetRandomTimes(TUNING.OX_MATING_SEASON_BABYDELAY, TUNING.OX_MATING_SEASON_BABYDELAY_VARIANCE)
    inst.components.periodicspawner:SetPrefab("ox")

The game tells the herd to simply create "ox", which is the adult version of the Water Beefalo. So they reproduce, but as adults, similar to volt goats.

A "babyox" prefab does exist, but it reuses the same art as the normal beefalo, so it was never finished. 

4 hours ago, AnonymousKoala said:

Because SW is rushed. Feels so at least.

The following post might be kind of offtopic, as it is not about the issue the topic is about. It is, however, directed to all the issues SW has and why I agree with Anonymouskoala.

While I enjoyed the original game, later expanded by caves, and RoG (although something more unique to summer was and still is needed), SW tried to make something too big, and failed at doing so. It's a great idea and a big expansion, bigger than anything we've ever had before, but this comes with a cost.

It lacks lore, it lacks adventure, it is full of bugs, and needs at least another big update adding new stuff (also adding something special for the second tier magic tab! A shadow manipulator is useless in SW, not to mention you get insane really easily in SW because of wetness, so nightmare fuel is really common). Also the Quaken is pathetic.

Something I like of SW is the possibilities for end game it opens. You can bring stuff from RoG to SW and the way back and that's nice. But worlds hopping is terribly bugged and you can't transport structures, plus a big part of items in SW are just retextured RoG items. (And in my opinion SW lacks decorative items such as more carpets you could bring to RoG [maybe a mosaic one? Made from corals?]).

In the end, I think what SW needs to really be complete is:

-fixed bugs, but I'm sure they are already working on this 

-an adventure mode to explain the story, what happened, how maxwell is involved into all this, how the parrot is involved, why Woodlegs was already in the island and the sea ghosts are his ghosts (that really made me curious! It's interesting but it has been put aside: do not underestimate the role of the story in a game!)

-more magic stuff

-some unique decorative items to bring from SW to RoG

-buffs for the Quaken along with a much more balanced loot (and why doesn't it drop meat? :/)

this is all I have in mind now, for what we really need. Other suggestions are nice but they are not quite as urgent as these other points.

That being said, SW is still great. I don't regret buying it. The theme is nice, the music awesome, the characters are cool too (one could argue about balance but I think they are all pretty ok gameplay wise)

3 minutes ago, DwerBomb said:

The following post might be kind of offtopic, as it is not about the issue the topic is about. It is, however, directed to all the issues SW has and why I agree with Anonymouskoala.

While I enjoyed the original game, later expanded by caves, and RoG (although something more unique to summer was and still is needed), SW tried to make something too big, and failed at doing so. It's a great idea and a big expansion, bigger than anything we've ever had before, but this comes with a cost.

It lacks lore, it lacks adventure, it is full of bugs, and needs at least another big update adding new stuff (also adding something special for the second tier magic tab! A shadow manipulator is useless in SW, not to mention you get insane really easily in SW because of wetness, so nightmare fuel is really common). Also the Quaken is pathetic.

Something I like of SW is the possibilities for end game it opens. You can bring stuff from RoG to SW and the way back and that's nice. But worlds hopping is terribly bugged and you can't transport structures, plus a big part of items in SW are just retextured RoG items. (And in my opinion SW lacks decorative items such as more carpets you could bring to RoG [maybe a mosaic one? Made from corals?]).

-an adventure mode to explain the story, what happened, how maxwell is involved into all this, how the parrot is involved, why Woodlegs was already in the island and the sea ghosts are his ghosts (that really made me curious! It's interesting but it has been put aside: do not underestimate the role of the story in a game!)

-more magic stuff

-buffs for the Quaken along with a much more balanced loot (and why doesn't it drop meat? :/)

this is all I have in mind now, for what we really need. Other suggestions are nice but they are not quite as urgent as these other points.

That being said, SW is still great. I don't regret buying it. The theme is nice, the music awesome, the characters are cool too (one could argue about balance but I think they are all pretty ok gameplay wise)

You know something? I feel like in the end they attempted to make it more focused on being a cave like explorable thing(Dripple Pipes and Conch make summer a breeze, you cant move structures from sw, etc.), but because of how little time they had, they couldn't optimize it to fully be something like it.

Your comment kind of sums up my entire opinion. Not enough base design, not being able to craft things in the other world/bring structures, no clear story, abandonment of the whole magic theme, etc.

SW is fun. I don't regret buying it. But say, the steam reviews(where most are "whole new dlc, whole new world, better than rog, 10/10"), really don't give you a clear picture. SW changes the meta and spices a lot of things, but...Its so much wasted potential. 

47 minutes ago, DwerBomb said:

-more magic stuff

Amen. I'm still salty about the magic tier getting shafted in RoG because people wanted "more science items!", despite there being almost 3 times more Science than Magic items in the game already.

59 minutes ago, DwerBomb said:
Spoiler

-more magic stuff

You forgot tamable Sharkittens! Needs tamable Sharkittens.
Also Smallbirds need tweaking/fixing, like they should be able to hop on board. Currently they just abandon you if you leave the island D: 

(Also, Sharkittens)

Archived