[MOD] Recipe Merger

I'm assuming this makes is possible to craft SW items in RoG or vice versa? If so, that's great! Probably some balance issues which personally for me is why I wouldn't use this, plenty of people will appreciate it. It is kinda weird how things like the Machete can't be crafted outside of Shipwrecked despite not harming balance.

5 minutes ago, AnonymousKoala said:

I'm probably gonna use this eventually.

Sad this isnt a feature in the actual game. 

It's probably not in the game due to balance implications. If you could craft the Ice Machine in RoG for instance it'd be too easy to get ice, or you could negate spring easily with the Palm Leaf Hut. 

Things like the Machete though don't harm anything and really should be craftable. 

Just now, oCrapaCreeper said:

It's probably not in the game due to balance implications. If you could craft the Ice Machine in RoG for instance it'd be too easy to get ice, or you could negate spring with the Palm Leaf Hut.

Things like the Machete though don't harm anything and really should be craftable. 

I remember it was said to not be included because of a design choice though. 

6 hours ago, oCrapaCreeper said:

I'm assuming this makes is possible to craft SW items in RoG or vice versa?

Yeah, it merges all recipes.

If you can craft it in SW, you can craft it in RoG.

If you can craft it in RoG, you can craft it in SW.

Some recipes like cobblestones use the RoG variant in RoG (rocky turf) and the SW variant in SW (magma turf).

15 minutes ago, AnonymousKoala said:

I remember it was said to not be included because of a design choice though. 

Well, apart from having structures like the ice maker, or the palm leaf hut, or the obsidian firepit, having all recipes means having even the boats recipes that you can't place anywhere, and useless recipes like the mussel farms.

All those tabs and recipes just clutter the UI, which is another point in favor of separating the recipes.

This seemed to win over the ability to let players use obsidian firepits and ice makers everywhere.

3 hours ago, DarkXero said:

Yeah, it merges all recipes.

If you can craft it in SW, you can craft it in RoG.

If you can craft it in RoG, you can craft it in SW.

Some recipes like cobblestones use the RoG variant in RoG (rocky turf) and the SW variant in SW (magma turf).

Well, apart from having structures like the ice maker, or the palm leaf hut, or the obsidian firepit, having all recipes means having even the boats recipes that you can't place anywhere, and useless recipes like the mussel farms.

All those tabs and recipes just clutter the UI, which is another point in favor of separating the recipes.

This seemed to win over the ability to let players use obsidian firepits and ice makers everywhere.

Good point.

I guess some restrictions could have been done at least, but oh well. 

7 hours ago, oCrapaCreeper said:

Balancing is also design choice.

Seconded. There's good reason as to why only certain RoG items were given Shipwrecked counterparts. For a starter, being able to craft lots of thelucite crowns would've been far too overpowered against hounds, and frankly I enjoy the game more without having the Tam o' Shanter as my go-to sanity restoration method.

Likewise, we shouldn't start putting stuff like the ice machine, palm leaf hut, chiminea and obsidian fire pit into RoG.

Cool mod though nonetheless. I know that I lot of people wanted merged crafting and it's great that you took the time to make this a reality!

Just now, Flare2V said:

Source would be useful. I can't imagine why it would be this way.

I think he's referring to a Klei live stream.

I asked about merging crafting tables when combining SW/RoG but was told it was a design choice which they didn't have to power to make/implement.

I honestly think it's a missed opportunity to make end game a lot more complex.

Just now, Flare2V said:

Why?

It would be overpowered as all hell in an expansion that already poses little threat to any relatively experienced player.

Palm leaf hut means that you can spend Spring sitting in one place, as with Summer too. Whereas Shipwrecked is designed so that you (should be) moving a lot, RoG is quite the opposite, and so the palm leaf hut just becomes an infinite durability eyebrella.

Obsidian fire pit would be incredibly overpowered in Winter due to the increased efficiency. I'm fairly sure that it produces more heat than a fire pit too, but I'm not certain.

The chiminea would remove all challenge of the night time during Spring, where your fire pit becomes massively inefficient.

The ice machine removes the idea of having to go out in Winter to gather ice for a fling-o-matic in Summer. Also, it would be a very easy source of food, which breaks the RoG's only real challenging aspect. The same applies to prime ape huts too.

Obsidian tools make Winter WAY too easy. Being able to put down dragoon dens makes this problem even worse. Plus, you would be able to farm dragoons with rock lobsters, which is overpowered as hell however you look at it because the only real inconvenience of killing dragoons is that it's awkward to fight multiple at the same time.

15 hours ago, DeputyDeath said:

It would be overpowered as all hell in an expansion that already poses little threat to any relatively experienced player.

This is a pretty good argument against your standpoint; it doesn't throw off any balance because the knowledge required to bring such constructions/buildings between worlds is greater than the knowledge required to reliably survive. While it might make the game easier to survive in the long term you won't have anyone getting through winter that couldn't before previously because of an obsidian fire pit or a chiminea.

15 hours ago, DeputyDeath said:

Palm leaf hut means that you can spend Spring sitting in one place, as with Summer too. Whereas Shipwrecked is designed so that you (should be) moving a lot, RoG is quite the opposite, and so the palm leaf hut just becomes an infinite durability eyebrella.

Standing still generally doesn't contribute to your survival, Shipwrecked capitalizes on that. The palm leaf hut is directly inferior to using an eyebrella (or any wetness-resistant gear) as the latter grants mobility. It might save a few % worth of durability here and there if you place it directly next to a firepit and use it to get dry, but once again if you can afford to travel between Shipwrecked and Reign of Giants, grab the materials for a palm leaf hut and then build it, you could have just as easily constructed wetness-resistant gear that can keep you mobile AND dry.

Reminder that the ice machine received a huge efficiency nerf recently and the obsidian tools can already be brought over to Reign of Giants. The palm leaf hut argument can apply to obsidian fire pits too; it's not going to provide much of an advantage the player doesn't already have within the one save, and I can confirm that it doesn't heat the player any faster than a normal fire pit.

Merging crafting tables in Merged Worlds would be a fantastic change as far as I'm concerned. It doesn't "break" the game any more than merged worlds already have, and it gives players a lot more to build/construct/experiment with in one save file. I really hope we see this added to Don't Starve before too long.

1 hour ago, Flare2V said:

This is a pretty good argument against your standpoint; it doesn't throw off any balance because the knowledge required to bring such constructions/buildings between worlds is greater than the knowledge required to reliably survive. While it might make the game easier to survive in the long term you won't have anyone getting through winter that couldn't before previously because of an obsidian fire pit or a chiminea.

Standing still generally doesn't contribute to your survival, Shipwrecked capitalizes on that. The palm leaf hut is directly inferior to using an eyebrella (or any wetness-resistant gear) as the latter grants mobility. It might save a few % worth of durability here and there if you place it directly next to a firepit and use it to get dry, but once again if you can afford to travel between Shipwrecked and Reign of Giants, grab the materials for a palm leaf hut and then build it, you could have just as easily constructed wetness-resistant gear that can keep you mobile AND dry.

Reminder that the ice machine received a huge efficiency nerf recently and the obsidian tools can already be brought over to Reign of Giants. The palm leaf hut argument can apply to obsidian fire pits too; it's not going to provide much of an advantage the player doesn't already have within the one save, and I can confirm that it doesn't heat the player any faster than a normal fire pit.

Merging crafting tables in Merged Worlds would be a fantastic change as far as I'm concerned. It doesn't "break" the game any more than merged worlds already have, and it gives players a lot more to build/construct/experiment with in one save file. I really hope we see this added to Don't Starve before too long.

I forgot about the ice machine nerf. That thing is so crappy now. Forget I said anything good about that pile of crap please.

I know that you can take obsidian tools over already. My point was that bringing over the dragoon dens makes the whole process of getting them infinitely easier because you can use rock lobsters to farm dragoons.

Maybe can at least both agree that one thing that world integration has done is making both experiences less challenging, which to me makes it less fun. Evidently, to others quite the opposite applies. Merged crafting just adds to that effect, so I'm naturally not going to like it.

If merged crafting is to become something in the base game then I can only hope that there's an option to turn it off.

Nice mod anyway. You catered to the desires of many, and that's what a mod should do instead of the herds of custom characters on the Steam workshop (particularly DST) that few people are going to use.

I think SW items could be craftable in RoG, but only after the two worlds have been properly linked (Seaworthy on both sides) and the items have been prototyped in the Shipwrecked. That way if you start in RoG, you can't craft the ice maker or leaf hut until you've jumped to SW.

2 hours ago, Flare2V said:

Out of curiosity, do you use the Seaworthy at all?

Nope.

Thought about it, but I'd much rather keep both expansions as separate experiences. It's a cool feature but having the resources from two worlds undoubtedly makes the game a lot easier, especially being able to use houndius shootius turrets in SW to farm prime apes, dragoons and mosquitos.

2 hours ago, oCrapaCreeper said:

I think SW items could be craftable in RoG, but only after the two worlds have been properly linked (Seaworthy on both sides) and the items have been prototyped in the Shipwrecked. That way if you start in RoG, you can't craft the ice maker or leaf hut until you've jumped to SW.

Fantastic suggestion.

6 minutes ago, DeputyDeath said:

Nope.

Thought about it, but I'd much rather keep both expansions as separate experiences. It's a cool feature but having the resources from two worlds undoubtedly makes the game a lot easier, especially being able to use houndius shootius turrets in SW to farm prime apes, dragoons and mosquitos.

Then, following CrapaCreeper's suggestion above you can enjoy the same survival challenge you always have while those that so choose can enjoy the added endgame replayability! Everybody wins, no?

Just now, WishIHadAFridge said:

Could you post it in the Steam Workshop? I'm very, very bad with zip files and I don't want to mess around with it too much.

I could not.

There's nothing to worry about it. Right click, extract all, ok.

Don't copy the folder, but the folder inside the folder.

Then go to mods and paste.

Archived