Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Please be aware that the content of this thread may be outdated and no longer applicable.

Mausman

Wigfrid and coffee.

Recommended Posts

Mausman    8

I started a Wigfrid world in Shipwrecked not thinking of the fact I'd miss out on the coffee boost due to her meat-only diet. However, I do think she should be able to drink coffee. Specialty diets rarely effect what you drink.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
PhelsarusBeel    3996

Thing is she's not having a special diet instead she's playing a Character a Valkyre to be exact.

And those are not so well know for drinking Coffee all day let me tell you that.

TBH i actually like that Wigfrid now has an actual downside that matters and that's the fact that she can't use Coffee. Also it's not really that much of a problem if we are being honest here. You basicly don't get another speedboosting Item woopdy doo considering that i almost always have a Walking Cane on my Wigfrid games after the first Winter that hardly matters to me.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Serph    470

Yeah, that makes sense. Coffe is a liquid, not a solid and she already eats eggs and recipes with veggies so she doesn't "literally only eats meat". As it is, Wigfrid is vastly inferior to any other character for late game.
 

3 minutes ago, Mr.P said:

Thing is she's not having a special diet instead she's playing a Character a Valkyre to be exact.

And those are not so well know for drinking Coffee all day let me tell you that.

TBH i actually like that Wigfrid now has an actual downside that matters and that's the fact that she can't use Coffee. Also it's not really that much of a problem if we are being honest here. You basicly don't get another speedboosting Item woopdy doo considering that i almost always have a Walking Cane on my Wigfrid games after the first Winter that hardly matters to me.


Sorry but losing a +5 (83%) speed buff for half a day is a freaking huge downside bro. Other characters have cane too and they will be running over 2x faster than her.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
PhelsarusBeel    3996
5 minutes ago, Serph said:


Sorry but losing a +5 (83%) speed buff for half a day is a freaking huge downside bro. Other characters have cane too and they will be running over 2x faster than her.

Again that's a good thing Wigfrid is just TO good with almost 0 Downsides so having this one is actually a nice point of balance for her. At least then we can shut up all the people that always want a Wigfrid nerf cause this is a nice point of balance in my book.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
DeputyDeath    262

Wigfrid doesn't need coffee.

Why does everyone have this weird idea that Wigfrid is a super underpowered character who DEFINITELY needs her own viking boat and OBVIOUSLY needs to be able to drink coffee.

She is really good without that stuff. Just live with the fact that she has downsides. If you're desperate to have a tank who can also drink coffee, why not try out Wolfgang?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Machine Reaper    2401

I have been playing Wigfrid in Ship Wreckd and I say that she doesn't need a speed boost, she super powered by the fact that she can give sooo much damage with "Cutlass Supereme, Machete, Speargun, Harpoon"...What else do you need now?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Serph    470

Of course she doesn't "need" coffee, nobody does. But saying "Wigfrid is too strong so it's ok for her to lose one of the best items in the game!" isn't fair to her. Especially when everyone agrees that Wolfgang is so much better.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
voyager156    361

Wigfrid is one of my favourite characters :-)

In topic about giving her a viking boat I was - hell yeah! But to tell the truth, I just wanted her to have a unique boat (unique = looks great; gives her this special charm).

Is she underpowered? Do she needs some buff-up? Should she drink coffe?

In my opinion NO. She Is very good and don't need those things. She is well balanced right now.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
PhelsarusBeel    3996
Just now, Serph said:

Of course she doesn't "need" coffee, nobody does. But saying "Wigfrid is too strong so it's ok for her to lose one of the best items in the game!" isn't fair to her. Especially when everyone agrees that Wolfgang is so much better.

When did we say that Wolfgang is better? Cause if we put Wolfgang and Wigfrid side by side she's a lot better at Combat then him. During Combat Wolfgang always has to keep an eye on his Hungerbar to not suddenly transform between modes what can easily get you killed. Wigfrid on the other hand doesn't care about food HP or even Sanity during combat as long as she kills stuff she can do fine. Also we have the fact that Wigfrid also has a 25% damage multiplier as well as a 25% damage reduction what makes her even more suited for combat

A good example a while ago i finally started playing her and during that time i went into the Desert and found the ohh so lovely Houndfortress (a bunch of rocks with 5 or 7 Hound Mounds near them). After i was done with that place I had around 70 Hounds Teeh at least 2 stacks of Boneshards and was still at full HP and full Sanity. This is something i could never pull of as Wolfgang because i will be Insane after dealing with all those Hounds as well as being in a bad shape healthwise.

And if you say "Well Wolfgang at least can eat Veggies" then i firmly inform you that there is this little thing called Crockpot what makes it so even Wigfrid can easily make use of any Veggy she comes across. Really her "Eats only Meat" perk might as well not exist because you never cook the Veggydishes anyway because of how awefull most of them are. The only good ones you'r missing are Dragonfruit Pie what she doesn't need anyway because of her passives.

So really giving Wolfgang just something over her is a very good thing and if it's just Coffee then i'm still good with that decision.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
PhelsarusBeel    3996
11 minutes ago, TeoSS69 said:

I suppose we could argue about this until the cows come home but i still stick to my statement that Wigfrid doesn't need Coffee since it's a welcome downside for her. And again her drinking Coffee would be so much out of Character it's not even funny. TBH if we really want something for her to drink then it should be this

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mead

Totaly in character and it would actually be something interesting to make in the Crockpot.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
An Artifact    4139

To consider not being able to drink coffee as a "welcome nerf" seems really awkward to me... It doesn't nerf any of the issues she supposedly has (though I don't really see any problem with her personally), and it just takes away a big convenience that every other character gets. I say let her drink the stuff, and if there really are some problems with her, maybe deal with those directly rather than applying a "nerf" such as this. Though having mead in the game would be a lot of fun too.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Serph    470
27 minutes ago, Mr.P said:

When did we say that Wolfgang is better? Cause if we put Wolfgang and Wigfrid side by side she's a lot better at Combat then him. During Combat Wolfgang always has to keep an eye on his Hungerbar to not suddenly transform between modes what can easily get you killed. Wigfrid on the other hand doesn't care about food HP or even Sanity during combat as long as she kills stuff she can do fine. Also we have the fact that Wigfrid also has a 25% damage multiplier as well as a 25% damage reduction what makes her even more suited for combat

A good example a while ago i finally started playing her and during that time i went into the Desert and found the ohh so lovely Houndfortress (a bunch of rocks with 5 or 7 Hound Mounds near them). After i was done with that place I had around 70 Hounds Teeh at least 2 stacks of Boneshards and was still at full HP and full Sanity. This is something i could never pull of as Wolfgang because i will be Insane after dealing with all those Hounds as well as being in a bad shape healthwise.

And if you say "Well Wolfgang at least can eat Veggies" then i firmly inform you that there is this little thing called Crockpot what makes it so even Wigfrid can easily make use of any Veggy she comes across. Really her "Eats only Meat" perk might as well not exist because you never cook the Veggydishes anyway because of how awefull most of them are. The only good ones you'r missing are Dragonfruit Pie what she doesn't need anyway because of her passives.

So really giving Wolfgang just something over her is a very good thing and if it's just Coffee then i'm still good with that decision.

One "good example" doesn't make a rule. Mighty Wolfgang with coffee will be running at over 13.5 speed, is there anything he can't kill with this? He could have done the same thing and not take a hit, if he ever gets hungry just run away for abit and eat. "Veggies" also include mushrooms that wolfgang can eat during combat to neutralize his sanity loss (and taffy too).

Not just Wolfgang, anyone with Coffee is a better fighter than Wigfrid because they can kite multiple enemies or beat bosses 1-1 with ease lol.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
TeoSS69    2204
Just now, Mr.P said:

Wigfrid doesn't need Coffee

What Wigfrid really needs is something to differentiate her gameplay from Wolfgang, since his existence is her main downside. So letting her drink Coffee or not, will not change much. I'm neutral on this. Adding a Boat that repairs itself in fights, or that can house followers would be nice for instance. Just anything that doesn't fill me with regret halfway through the first day, because that's where I turn into Wargang and all the food in SW won't make me change form again for the rest of the game.

1 minute ago, Serph said:

 anyone with Coffee is a better fighter than Wigfrid

XhTuTW6.jpg?1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Mday    428

Saying Wigfrid need a nerf is like saying Wes need a buff.

Why nerf Wigfrid when she play a role being the "easy mode" of DS?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
oldrumors    1

I also started a topic about this some time ago.

I really don't care if Wigfrid is OP or not, so I wont go into that, but I can tell you this:

I played this game a lot with my wife, we have it on PC, on our tablets, we play DST, we really enjoyed the game and spent many hours on it.

Not really sure why, some how it was shocking and a limitation I could not understand, but since I found out the hard way that wigfrid can't drink coffe I stopped playing the game, and with me my wife also. I didn't even felt the need to try the wood legs guy.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
DeputyDeath    262

Can I just some up the difference between Wolfgang and Wigfrid? Because however you look at it, there is no reason to buff Wigfrid. As Teo mentioned - the 'veteran' Wolfgang - Wigfrid is fairly redundant late game. But so are Willow, Wendy (kinda), Warly (kinda), Woodlegs, Walani, Woody and Maxwell, and very few people seem to complain. So just live with the fact that Wigfrid is yet another character that is good early game and meh late game, and that fewer characters (Wilson, Wolfgang, WX-78, and to a certain extent Webber and Wilbur) are the opposite.


Wolfgang:

*Has to binge eat on anything he can

*He can defeat individual targets very quickly, but struggles when a fight lasts too long or there are multiple enemies due to hunger problems and an amplified sanity drain.

*Only has buffs in combat when you have (over)fed him. 

*Deals 100% more damage in mighty mode than other characters, which helps to massively increase his DPS and allows him to kill weaker enemies (e.g. spiders) in 1 hit with a fairly strong melee, and giants in much less time than usual. Although he also has a 25% speed boost in this form, this is unnecessary as you must tank enemies to make the most of mighty mode.

*Requires significantly more food to be kept alive than other characters, and slightly more sanity restoration items.

*Must rely on the vanilla items in combat (i.e. has no items that are unique to himself). This usually means that he'll be using very low-tier armour and weaponry, like the football helm/log suit and ham bat.

*Is nigh-on impossible to keep alive from days 10-15 unless you're lucky.

Wigfrid:

*Can't binge eat on everything; instead, only what she gets from killing things.

*Can deal with groups of enemies very effectively without stopping to restore health or having to leave for sanity reasons.

*Combat buffs are passive. You don't need to prepare for hunting at all, and can stop to kill a giant or other strong enemy (e.g. tallbirds) even on very low hunger.

*Deals 25% more damage than other characters, which is usually unnoticeable but can help to reduce the hits-to-kill on stronger enemies and improve the viability of weaker weapons, including her own spear.

*Requires fewer resources to keep alive than other characters, as she doesn't require healing or sanity restoration outside of killing.

*Has items unique to her character that are fairly strong and cheap. The battle spear is incredibly effective at taking out weaker enemies for its cost, and the battle helm is a decent upgrade to the football helmet.

*Is hella easy to play in early game.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Coffee is kind of a late-game addition (depending on when you find the volcano) and Wigfrid already has some established downsides to not eating non-meats, such as not being able to eat delicious sanity restoring mushrooms or blissfully cooling ice.

Maybe a recipe for coffee-rubbed steak would be nice. With less effect, naturally. "I always take my cöffee with a little blööd in it."

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Serph    470
21 minutes ago, DeputyDeath said:

Can I just some up the difference between Wolfgang and Wigfrid? Because however you look at it, there is no reason to buff Wigfrid.

I dont think you understand. This isn't about giving her a buff, it's about giving her acess to something that everyone, even characters that are undeniably superior than her, already have.

People for some reason have this crazy idea that Wigfrid is overpowered just because she has an easier early game killing things. Anyone can get just as strong gear as her on the first season (tentacle spike and foot helmet), 25% more damage is useful but not necessary, 25% defense makes no difference when you have armor+helmet, her drain is good but the freedom to eat any food is better.

She is not just redundant late game, she is literally worse than Wes because despite his low stats he is still capable of killing anything with better gear, eat anything and move at lightspeed 24/7. None of Wigfrid's perks make up for the loss of coffee.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Serph    470

I just googled some kind of food that uses coffee and eggs and discovered that a drink called "Egg coffee" exists. DS eggs are technically meat so it should be ok for her to drink this right? Could be made with 2 roasted coffes, 1 honey (sweetner) and 1 egg.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
DeputyDeath    262
1 hour ago, Serph said:

I dont think you understand. This isn't about giving her a buff, it's about giving her acess to something that everyone, even characters that are undeniably superior than her, already have.

People for some reason have this crazy idea that Wigfrid is overpowered just because she has an easier early game killing things. Anyone can get just as strong gear as her on the first season (tentacle spike and foot helmet), 25% more damage is useful but not necessary, 25% defense makes no difference when you have armor+helmet, her drain is good but the freedom to eat any food is better.

She is not just redundant late game, she is literally worse than Wes because despite his low stats he is still capable of killing anything with better gear, eat anything and move at lightspeed 24/7. None of Wigfrid's perks make up for the loss of coffee.

But that WOULD give her a buff. A pretty massive one. The character that is most effective at kiting and taking out groups of enemies would be even better at doing so!

If you want access to the stuff, play as a different character. Beard hair is practically locked away from most characters, and all characters have unique items that are locked away. Hell, WIGFRID has unique items that other characters can't have.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
TeoSS69    2204
1 hour ago, DeputyDeath said:

words

>so is willow, warly, walani
Those are redundant all the time, not only late game.
>Woodlegs
Woodlegs shines only late game with his crew of pirate monkeys, so I can't agree on him.
>Maxwell
Do I need to mention oCrapaCreeper?
>Woodie
Lots world, Werebeaver only, is some of the most fun I've had in this game. Some of his mechanics are tedious and definitely need getting used to but once you work him out he can be pretty good with the whole never starving, insane or dead thing.
>Wendi.
I have mixed feelings about her. *shrugs*

> very few people seem to complain
Well, you have people who think that Warly's OP and Walani's Board is useful past your first Gold Nugget so there's that.

> *Has to binge eat on anything he can
I don't even bother with Limpets and Seaweed anymore. Hell, even Potatos I collect just to turn into poop. Too many Jellyfish and Crabbits around.

> when a fight lasts too long
I can kill Deerclops in 5-8 seconds. How long do you think fights really last with Wolfgang?

> there are multiple enemies
http://webmshare.com/play/RY7yJ

Why can't I just post a link to an image without it showing up?

> hunger problems and an amplified sanity drain.
Too much food in SW. Not even funny.
Wolfgang has no sanity problems. Even if he had and went insane he can wipe the floor with Shadow Creatures.

> a 25% speed boost in this form, this is unnecessary
Are you saying you use the Walking Cane only when fighting things?

> Must rely on the vanilla items in combat
Wargang with a normal Axe deals more damage than Wigfrid's spear.

> *Is nigh-on impossible to keep alive from days 10-15 unless you're lucky.
http://goo.gl/Mmh3eD


 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites