Maxwell's Playground

LadyD

Matthew had been sitting near Art's weaving materials, discouraged that she had ignored him. Out of boredom, he had begun playing with a small bundle of grass, twisting it around in his hands and occasionally tying multiple pieces together. While only mildly entertaining, it at least helped to pass the time. He was in the process of knotting a single blade of grass as many times as he could when T.O.M rolled over, and was completely unaware of its presence until it spoke.

He looked up at the damaged, gray monstrosity towering over him with a demented smile, then screamed.

Edited by WaddleDee
  • Like 2

"IS SOMETHING BEHIND ME?!" T.O.M said in his most frightened overly happy voice. He turned around. Nothing. He turned back around. "IS THERE A SPIDER ON MY FACE?!" T.O.M tried to feel his face for spiders. Nothing. "WHAT IS IT? I'M TERRIFIED!"

Edited by Youknowwho
  • Like 1

"Wait, Tim, you're from the nineteenth century... How do you know that this," at this she gestured with the unloaded pistol, "is a gun? Surely you've never seen a semi-auto?" She paused. "That's a dumb question considering the mechanical spider. You're a steampunker, you probably have mechs or something back home." She sighed, ignoring TOM and Matthew, and unconsciously leaning against Red's shoulder, humming a tune: 

• Like 1

(Checklist: Young child? Yes. No protective figure around? Yes. Robot? Yes. Robot damaged beyond belief? Yes. Child startled at night? Yes. Let the mental scarring begin.)

Matthew continued screaming in abject terror. He had no idea what this thing was saying, but wanted nothing more at that moment than to get away from the sparking, creaking monster. Scrambling to his feet, he started sprinting in the opposite direction as T.O.M, stumbling over rocks and snags at the edge of the spider robot's light.

• Like 1

After carefully examining Art, Arca decided she didn't have any lethal wounds from what she could see. So she helped Art up, but noticed Bell was looking very uncomfortable. It was quite noisy after all. "You seem alright, Art." She said, and left her with that. Arca walked over to the young girl and said "Bell." while standing in front of her. "Let us go somewhere a little less chaotic, hmm?" She offered Bell her clean hand to hold.

"You killed that hound..."

Still leaning on Red's shoulder, completely oblivoious to the odd look she was getting from him, she held up her gun. "Ok, this gun is a semi-automatic pistol. I load it by putting a magazine, which carries 7 bullets in here;" at this she tapped the base of the butt of the gun, "although I don't have one, so I have to individually load each bullet by chambering it." She demonstrated the process, before pulling the cocking mechanism back and ejecting the bullet. "It'll then fire when I pull the trigger." She paused. "D'ya think you could make me a magazine or two? That way I can show you the actual semi-automatic firing mechanism."

"I suppose if you give me a bullet and your gun for reference, I can try to make a 'magazine' from what I have. I actually have a blunderbuss built into this thing, but it's not very accurate and takes a helluva lot of gunpowder. That's still around, right?" Tim said, retracting his hand in exchange for a flared muzzle, the rest of the gun hidden in his arm.

Edited by Chris1488

"Art isn't your boss! Your boss is back home! And besides, not all of us killed a hound! Red didn't!" At this she turned and smiled at the squirrel.

"Actually, we've made them more efficient. We don't muzzle-load them, they've got a narrower choke and can be loaded with different types of ammunition. We call them shotguns" she handed over her pistol, and one of TOM's bullet's. "a magazine contains a spring to push the bullets into the firing mechanism, and can be loaded by slotting bullets in here, like this:" She sat up and drew a rough diagram in the sand. "I'll show you when you make it."

• Like 1

Arca smiled at Bell. They reached a point where they were far enough away from the group that their voices were muffled, but still hearable. Arca sat by a berry bush and sighed. "It certainly is nice to be away from the noise for a little bit." a short, akward silence took place. "So, do you... enjoy music?" She asked Bell.

Tim put away the muzzle, seeing no use for it. "Shame I can't apply that to my gun, unless we get some gunpowder, that's a lost cause." Tim said, examining the rough sketch in the sand. He popped open his left upper arm, letting the spare brass plates, springs and bolts spill out onto the ground. "Looks easy enough, I'll get to work." Tim applied his goggles and retracted his index finger for a tiny blowtorch.

Bell sat down across from her, gave a light grin and nodded. She had always enjoyed music, especially singing, which she had always longed to do. Singing was an impossibility for her, sadly, but she could still dabble in the other forms of music.

Bell was reminded of something, and she quickly fished around in her coat for a device her and the craftsman had worked on. She pulled out what would be recognizable to most people as a proto music box. It was a thin sort of metal comb with the tines resting on a bump covered cylinder with a crank, which when turned caused the device to play a simple yet present tune. Her smile widened a little as she played it.

Conner was concerned at what was happening. No one seemed to really be helping Matthew and T.O.M so he guess he'd have to try. Getting up he went over to the two. "Clam down, it's fine," he kneeled down next to Matthew and cautiously helped the kid up. "Don't worry, T.O.M is friendly, he wouldn't ever hurt you," he tried to brush off any dirt or grass stuck on the boy. " Anyways he'd only want to be your friend. How cool would having a robot friend be hm?" he said hoping the boy was like him when he was younger.

Arca checked out Art and she went off with Bell. Art had suffered with nothing worse than being winded and a bit bruised. TOM  was terrified Mathew and she was about to intervene when she over heard Red telling TOM that she wasn't his boss.

"Hey red!" She growled and then whispered urgently to the squirrel. " has it occurred to you that TOM thinking I am his boss is helpful? I mean if he doesn't listen to or obey anyone... it could complicate things"

She then went over to TOM.
"HEY! TOM! He is frightened by you! You are loud and he is scared of the noises and the strangeness of this place. Just um... go sit over with Bell and Arca okay? I will tell him that you are friendly but you need to give him some space okay?" 

Edited by LadyD