Can We Get a Beefalo Domestication Full Info Thread?

was working a beef today trying to get it orenary it had the tendency on its face but wasnt doing the extra dmg i think the amount of dmg is affected by how domesticated the beefalo is and random fact the beef dmg was affected by player riding it  so wendy wes did less dmg than a wigfrid / wolfgang

4 hours ago, EsaiXD said:

was working a beef today trying to get it orenary it had the tendency on its face but wasnt doing the extra dmg i think the amount of dmg is affected by how domesticated the beefalo is and random fact the beef dmg was affected by player riding it  so wendy wes did less dmg than a wigfrid / wolfgang

You don't get a tendency's bonus until it's fully domesticated. And yes, the beefalo's damage is affected by your character's damage modifier (which sucks).

Too much math, my brain hurts.

I tried to domesticate Beefalo, and it seemed pointless.

I just have two questions. Do I have to waste as much food on Beef as if he was 4 players, or just give it one twig and ride it for 10 seconds?

And second. Is Rider Beefalo even as fast as Player with Walking Cane? The one who said that Walking Cane boost still applies while riding was wrong.

6 minutes ago, MrNaxeros said:

And second. Is Rider Beefalo even as fast as Player with Walking Cane? The one who said that Walking Cane boost still applies while riding was wrong.

not entierly sure on the rider beefalo being faster and vice  versa it  is faster than a person who is walking and for the walking cane it does affect beefalo speed just test it out even the magelimunesence does it too

17 hours ago, MrNaxeros said:

Do I have to waste as much food on Beef as if he was 4 players, or just give it one twig and ride it for 10 seconds?

If you give it a twig or ride it for 10 second, you will get one positive domestication tick.

Day has 480 seconds, he will have 47 negative ticks after yours.

However, having one positive tick per day is way, way better than having one positive tick every 10 days.

As I said, the longer you ignore the beefalo, the faster it loses points.

20 hours ago, MrNaxeros said:

Is Rider Beefalo even as fast as Player with Walking Cane?

BEEFALO_RUN_SPEED = {
	DEFAULT = 7,
	RIDER = 8.0,
	ORNERY = 7.0,
	PUDGY = 6.5,
},

WILSON_RUN_SPEED = 6,

Cane is 1.25 multiplier.

Glossamer Saddle is also 1.25, replacing the cane.

Wilson with cane = 6 * 1.25 = 7.5

Road is 1.3 multiplier, and beefalo are unaffected by roads.

Wilson with cane on road = 6 * 1.25 * 1.3 = 9.75

Rider beefalo with glossamer saddle = 8 * 1.25 = 10

I'd need to suggest Klei to stop domesticated Beefalo from "undomesticating"

I wasted half summer and half autumn trying to feed it dragonpies constantly, riding pointlessly and brushing it, only to lose it the next IRL day. At least disable that on dedicated servers, because that's really frustrating.

And no, Beefalo is NOT affected by speed boost of walking cane. It was recently patched.

On 16.05.2016 at 11:43 PM, DarkXero said:

If you give it a twig or ride it for 10 second, you will get one positive domestication tick.

Day has 480 seconds, he will have 47 negative ticks after yours.

However, having one positive tick per day is way, way better than having one positive tick every 10 days.

As I said, the longer you ignore the beefalo, the faster it loses points.

So that means a Beefalo won't have any progress towards domestication and won't be enough to keep Beefalo domesticated.

Since the only times I check this thread is in the middle of the night, my brain doesn't work and math just confuses me.

Please tell me exactly how much would I have to ride and feed Beefalo, provided that all I have are saddle, twigs, grass and a brush?

2 hours ago, MrNaxeros said:

Please tell me exactly how much would I have to ride and feed Beefalo, provided that all I have are saddle, twigs, grass and a brush?

You need to give the beefalo 32 twigs per day.

If you brush it once per day, you take 5 days out of 20 days needed.

So you need 15 days, with brushing every day, and 32 twigs, which amounts to 480 twigs total.

1 twig equals 2 grass.

If your beefalo is fed (hunger more than 0), then riding him is useless for domestication.

But if your beefalo is starving (hunger equals 0), you can ride him for a whole day to get the same effect of 32 twigs.

Riding it for 30 seconds is like giving it 2 twigs.

6 hours ago, DarkXero said:

If your beefalo is fed (hunger more than 0), then riding him is useless for domestication.

But if your beefalo is starving (hunger equals 0), you can ride him for a whole day to get the same effect of 32 twigs.

Riding it for 30 seconds is like giving it 2 twigs.

So riding is substitute of feeding? That is more than helpful, thanks.

Got another question though. What do I have to do to keep my Beefalo fully domesticated. You told me about those "negative" ticks. So in order to keep it domesticated do I have to give it 16 twigs (or 2 dragonpies) or ride it half a day so the positive ticks will be equal to negative ticks?

14 hours ago, MrNaxeros said:

So riding is substitute of feeding? That is more than helpful, thanks.

It substitutes if and only if the beefalo is with 0 hunger.

If you feed the beefalo 32 twigs, and you ride it for the whole day, it's the same as only feeding it 32 twigs.

14 hours ago, MrNaxeros said:

What do I have to do to keep my Beefalo fully domesticated. You told me about those "negative" ticks. So in order to keep it domesticated do I have to give it 16 twigs (or 2 dragonpies) or ride it half a day so the positive ticks will be equal to negative ticks?

The huge issue here is that the negative ticks don't have a linear effect, as shown in the math.

After one day of being alone, a beef would have lost 0.013 domestication.

Which requires 0.27 of a day to recover, which means 9 twigs.

However, after two days of being alone, a beef would have lost 0.05 domestication (instead of 0.026 if it was linear).

Which requires 1.02 days to recover, which means 33 twigs (instead of 18 if it was linear).

So, in order to keep a beefalo domesticated, give it 9 twigs per day OR brush it once per day OR ride it for 270 seconds per day, which is almost half of a day. The more you leave the beefalo unattended, the more difficult it is to predict how domesticated it is.

Which is why I also said, "if your domesticated beefalo bucks you off before a daytime passes riding (480 seconds), you are below 50% domestication.", and therefore, you should give the beefalo food.

@DarkXero this thread helped a great deal in the whole domestication process - thank you!

I found out that you cannot take domesticated beefalo into caves after I finished domesticating her - is this going to pose a problem if I'm going to spend the whole summer in my cave base? i.e I'm hosting my own server and I mainly play alone, so if I leave her alone in the surface, do I have to still take care of her or will she be in a paused state because we're on a different world?

19 minutes ago, Higurashi said:

do I have to still take care of her or will she be in a paused state because we're on a different world?

The domestication periodic task will keep running no matter the state.

So you are probably going to lose it if you take too long exploring the caves.

What you can do is make a thread here in General Discussion or Suggestions and Feedback, and complain.

1 hour ago, DarkXero said:

The domestication periodic task will keep running no matter the state.

So you are probably going to lose it if you take too long exploring the caves.

What you can do is make a thread here in General Discussion or Suggestions and Feedback, and complain.

That....sucks. Having to return to the surface every day just to feed your beefalo is a real pain. Not to mention it's putting a brake in spelunking as well.

I'm gonna let the beefalo go I guess, it's not worth it - at least not until Klei patch it if they ever decide to. Thanks!

2 hours ago, Angibot said:

I would love to have something what feed him like for horses or cows,..., when we are not here.

In theory they already feed on the grass from savanna biome so it would be cool if we could put them in a pen of savanna turf (which should have a decent size), they wouldn't gain domestication or obedience points but wouldn't lose them either.

1 hour ago, Michi01 said:

Can someone explain how exactly the salt lick works?
I've already tested putting it in a pen with a domesticated beefalo in game but I don't know how exactly it works.

All i've figured out is that it'll keep a domesticated beefalo from un domesticating for about 16 days.

Not sure if it'll work for as long or for more than one beefalo or if it even works for more than one beefalo, don't know if domestication rises while it's by a salt lick or if it just pauses it, also don't know if more than one salt lick does anything to increase the length of it's use.

If I'm reading the code right, a saltlicker has 120 uses, a beefalo licks the saltlicker 8 times per day, if it finds one within the radius of 30 (so one saltlicker can last 15 days).

If a beefalo is in salted state, its undomestication is paused (domestication doesn't fall; it can rise under the usual conditions). It also stays near the saltlicker.

More than one beefalo can lick one saltlicker, they just use it up faster. A beefalo licks the nearest saltlicker, so more saltlickers can support more beefalos (or one beefalo for a longer time).

Furthermore, koalefants and volt goats lick saltlicker as well (a koalefant 16 times per day, a volt goat 6 times per day). They don't have domestication, so the effect for them is just them staying near it.

17 minutes ago, Michi01 said:

Do they actually have to go to the salt lick to use it or can they use it when it is on the other side of a wall but nearby?

No, they don't go to it, nor do they have to have a clear path to it (without actually going to it). They just have to be near it.

Archived