[Game Update] - 169365

4 minutes ago, 1v0 said:

true it will make the game easier

Might as well have a challenge where you can never eat, can never use healing items, can't sleep, can't use armor, can't use torches, lanterns, fire-pits, campfires, miners hats, and moggles. Instead you can only use revives.

• Like 1

• Developer

Hey all, thanks for the discussion! I've updated the original post to describe the touchstone behaviour more clearly:

"Touch Stones can be used once per player. After a short period, it will regenerate and become available once again to other players.

Hope that's more clear.

• Like 4

9 minutes ago, SuperPsiPower said:

20 seconds should be increased to like 10 days, idk this whole thread is just a big discussion on which is better hehe

But those 20 seconds of are irrelevant because you won't be able to use that one touchstone again. It's supposed to be short for the next player who dies.

The update says "Touch Stones will now regenerate after a very short time, and each Touch Stone is usable once per player " yet somehow people are complaining about how "Respawn is LITERALLY INFINITE now!".

I have no idea how one thing is even close to the other.

Edit: Thank you lpsquiggle for making it even more clear for everyone. It would be great if someone left the patch notes in the OP, It's like nobody followed the link...

Edited by Serph
  • Like 3

4 minutes ago, Serph said:

But those 20 seconds of are irrelevant because you won't be able to use that one touchstone again. It's supposed to be short for the next player who dies.

The update says "Touch Stones will now regenerate after a very short time, and each Touch Stone i usable once per player " yet somehow people are complaining about how "Respawn is LITERALLY INFINITE now!".

I have no idea how one thing is even close to the other.

That response wasn't for you. I forgot how to forums. Sorry lol. Ty for responding anyway

Well shouldn't be survival the "hard"(i know) mode? Maybe stop updating survival to be like other modes but instead make bigger changes to all 3 modes so they are actually something really different?

I know survival is the most played mode right now and IMO just because it is best suitable for public servers? I guess you can't restart other modes just by dying right? + most popular servers that are from ginger and strictly (thank you for them guys!) are survival too so no wonder survival mode is treated like default game mode and gets update for beginners but survival should be for advanced/experienced players right? 

Anyway i don't mind updates for new players like these. I don't mind that this game playing as 1 player against world is already easier than ROG (really think about this one :/ ) because there is this thing called Trough the Ages and i hope i really really HOPE it will be crazy hard, uncompromisable, hard, not for beginners at all, hard and not tuned down just because some new players died because of dark like we have in these survival modes :/

• Like 13

I was gonna say how OP this was but then i saw it said it only works once for each player... That's actually pretty fair.

Edited by Poniwo2
didnt read the update good enough

@t0panka AHAHAHAHAHAHA! thats a laugh!  It seems that Klei's current drive is to make Don't Starve as easy as possible so ANYONE can play and adding any sort of challenge is generally frowned upon cause then the new players won't play cause "game to hard :(."  Originally it did feel like the all the play modes were scaled for general types of players at different skill levels but now they just white washing it and making them the same across the board. 

• Like 9

6 minutes ago, Poniwo2 said:

The real problem about this is people just camping near a touchstone. They wont have to worry about death at all. The worst is they'll have to wait is *GASP* a whole 20 seconds or if hounds are near their corpse.

They won't be able to do that, each of the players can only use that touchstone once. Read the update notes! ;-)

I actually like this change, but I think the time span before respawning should be increased to several days at least or maybe players even should have to do something to achieve a respawn.

EDIT: Maybe even a task that can only be executed by multiple players? Since this is a multiplayer game? :)

Edited by Mueck

4 minutes ago, Mueck said:

They won't be able to do that, each of the players can only use that touchstone once. Read the update notes! ;-)

I actually like this change, but I think the time span before respawning should be increased to several days at least or maybe players even should have to do something to achieve a respawn.

Sorry, I didnt read the once per player part until just now... If that's what happens, then it's not very big like everyone saying it is... I mean, I guess you can get, like, 2 free revivals a server, but you have to find those touchstones first (which can get very boring) and you're dead anyways so you have to go back and collect your stuff. Even with all the stuff you can do as ghost i dont think this update is that OP.

Edited by Poniwo2
i dont want to repeat words
  • Like 1

Just now, FatPraline said:

Oh boo hoo. Set your own challenges in multiplayer if it is that easy.

its not the responsibility of the gamer to make a game hard, its the responsibility of the game developer to make it hard.  If a gamer wants a hard game and the developer doesn't make one, the gamer doesn't play it.  This game started hard and has gotten easier over time, not due to an increasing rise in skill but because the developer made it easier (this being the case recent case for newer players).  Also by your backwards logic, If you want an easier game create you own easy world in custom world creation.

• Like 5

5 minutes ago, SuperPsiPower said:

Uhh. I think everybody with 1k+ hours such as myself and @Clwnbaby do. Lets refrain from attacking each other please. 

Great. Then you and clwnbaby can join forces and storm the multiplayer servers armed with nothing but torches! Also not everyone is able or willing to put 1000 hours in a game. How am I "attacking" again?

3 minutes ago, Clwnbaby said:

its not the responsibility of the gamer to make a game hard, its the responsibility of the game developer to make it hard.  If a gamer wants a hard game and the developer doesn't make one, the gamer doesn't play it.  This game started hard and has gotten easier over time, not due to an increasing rise in skill but because the developer made it easier (this being the case recent case for newer players).  Also by your backwards logic, If you want an easier game create you own easy world in custom world creation.

Play the default world. If you find it difficult, make it easier. If you find it easy, turn the difficulty up a notch or set challenges for yourself. Not everyone buying and playing the game is as hardcore as you are.

If Klei wants to make it a hard game, they can do it. If they don't want to, then so be it.

Just stop it with all the whining.

Edited by FatPraline
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, FatPraline said:

Oh boo hoo. Set your own challenges in multiplayer if it is that easy.

Just now, Clwnbaby said:

^ what Clwn said + you can still learn and get better in game but we cant make bigger challenges and also really soon you will be "one of those" guys saying that game is easy after you learn few things in game. DST is actually easier than ROG and you can play with other people thats why it is so easy and thats why we mention it all the time. I hope tho that this will change TTA

TTA should be about late game. Beginners and those players that needs these updates wont be getting past 1 year that easily so there is no point of making TTA easy or even "medium" so logically this should be focused for advanced/experienced players .)

• Like 2

Just now, FatPraline said:

Just stop it with all the whining.

We could say the EXACT same thing to everyone who has caused them to nerf their game.  Don't Starve WAS a hard game.  It was an Uncompromising Wilderness Survival Game that was ACTUALLY challenging and people kept "whinning" it was too hard and they made it easier.  Your complaints and arguments all work against you.  The veteran players are asking for their game back

• Like 10

9 minutes ago, t0panka said:

also really soon you will be "one of those" guys saying that game is easy after you learn few things in game.

Nice assumption. How do you know how much I have or haven't played? Or what my opinion of the game's difficulty is?

Don't Starve WAS a hard game.  It was an Uncompromising Wilderness Survival Game that was ACTUALLY challenging and people kept "whinning" it was too hard and they made it easier.  Your complaints and arguments all work against you.  The veteran players are asking for their game back

The veterans want their rights! This is becoming a bit cringe inducing. Remind me, when was Don't Stave a hard game?

Edited by FatPraline
  • Like 1

I'm also sad to say I'm disappointed with the latest update. DST has been receiving consistent bizarre updates that didn't really do anything for the game and I feel puzzled about it. Everyone has mentioned how ghosts are already too powerful. Why not make the ghosts time out easier when they are AFK ? Why not make Endless a baby mode and remove respawn penalty, and make Survivial the really unforgiving game mode ?

I would like to point out that while the recent changes help make DST an enjoyable, risk free and forgiving experience for new players who might be lost at first, or who just want to live peacefully together, it encourages to leave as soon as they learn how to survive because there is 1.Nothing to do in the end game 2.Staying alive is becoming more and more trivial. You can only really starve if you are AFK. So what is the point?

I think Klei really needs to inject more of system where players can invest time in the game and always find something new. There's already a few ways to do this. One of those is mega base building; but it's pretty much a dead endgame goal in the egg, because there are so many limitations (no good servers to join, no way to world hop in DST, world regrowth is a thing, and now, you can't lose your world if you try).

Another of those goals is Player versus Player. It's an investment because you need time to gear up, but you can be soo creative. But even that is really hard to wake work, because there simply haven't been any attemps from the developpers to shape this as an actual game mode whatsoever. Only 2 characters are actually viable, the rest is just middling or grossly underpowered. Wickerbottom was already INSANELY powerful (sleepytimes story beats thulecite crowns), but she has now ascended to the rank of almighty grandmother god, because small tweak such as Wolfgang's nerf help her, and because she can spray touch stones with tentacles to prevent players from coming back.On the other sides, we have characters such as Willow who is so disarmingly weak that she might as well be a young hatchling that broke her wings falling from the nest. There are no reason to play Willow ever. About ghosts again : they still hammer down everyone's sanity, even after the nerf. Furthermore, they increase nightmare spawns by A LOT, which makes playing the game, simply, not enjoyable.

I am trying my best to be patient, but I will not be able to play this game until Through the Ages if PVP stays like this. Klei, you need to fix what you have already started instead of moving on right away.

I mean no disrespect in this post, as always, but I feel I need to voice my opinion; because the Klei developpment team members might not have spent as much time in the game as some of us in the game, or have a marketting policy that might contradict with what the game really needs.

Edited by Hezel
  • Like 18

Guys, let's just all focus on the Patch notes discussion. There are newbies and there are seasoned players who actually make it to and thorugh the first winter :p Anyone can play DST the way they want, discussion is about game changes, not personal or group approaches to playing the game.

You feel angry/triggered/opressed by cyberbully hardc0r3s or filthy casuals? Drink a cup of cold water, take 10 deep breaths or pause for a moment. There! You can contribute to the discussion again! :)

Let's make our beloved game better. I believe this will bring us all much more satisfaction than puny rhetoric wins over another Don't Starver. Value your own energy and spend it on things you actually care bout.

Cheers!

• Like 2

IMO, this ghost status already made the game too easy. I mean if there was no ghost status, everyone got their touchstone is fine, actually klei can make such kind of mode too where dying is perma-death except touchstones(no new char selection so you will be completely eliminated) (so everyone can be resurrected from touchstones twice)-(seriously this cave touch stones should be removed too, i mean who makes only caves server? no touchstone is needed there.). for survival, where being ghost is the part of the game, i think being ghost is already kind of nerfing the game and another nerf is about personal touchstone not only that but also cave touchstones.. So in long term there is no difference of survival than other modes. Also this new recipe of booster shot in which you need 8 rot, 2 nitre, 1 stinger. Seriously what is this? even my granny can make this recipe in 2 secs even though she has never used windows... you made dst a granny friendly game. Finally my granny is happy. thanks klei.

grandma2.jpg

Edited by Gingerbread
  • Like 2