dadougler    10

Bees seem to be pretty rare when you first start the game. In my latest game I only had 2 hives in the whole world. I hadn't run across the killer bees yet, so not knowing they were different than the regular bees (even though they were red) i collected 4 of them and then broke the hive. Upon realizing that i couldn't use the 4 bees I collected to craft a hive i went exploring with for another hive. When I found another hive (i had picked up some pig bros) no bees were flying around so i ran up and punched the hive. About 8 killer bees and then 1 yellow bee came out and while I was running around dealing with the bees the pigs killed the hive. That was unfortunately the last hive in my world. So now I am at day 36 and have no hives and only one yellow bee. So here's my suggestion...

-Suggestion 1 -You should either be able to tame killer bees (maybe with a special hive that doesn't require bees to craft) or just be able to craft a killer bee hive. I think the killer bee hive would work the best, even though it will be a little tougher to get the honey since the killer bees do extra damage.

-Suggestion 2 -Another option would be to have bees very rarely spawn from flowers.

-Suggestion 3- One more possibility would be if you collect and planted enough flowers in an area then a bee hive would eventually spawn if no other were on the map.

The main reason for the suggestion is now i feel i have to start my world over since i wont have access to honey, all the foods you can craft from honey and sleeping darts. But if either of the suggestions above were implemented it would not be a world killer if you mess up your bees in the early game.

Spazmatic    1034

May I ask what world gen you are using?The normal one or the new experimental one?I have used the newer one and have about 20 beehives on my island.If you did use the newer mapgen,then you might have had tough luck with map gen.The newer mapgen has a few bugs here n there,like no pig king spawning for example..Now on to your suggestions.

The ability to use killer bees to construct a hive is nice.This would make them far more useful,instead of a very dodgy way to have them to attack enemies(it is possible,but requires you running away from them first,since they will always target you before anything else).There will have to be some tweaking of the killer bees though,since they don't go out and get nectar from flowers,so it would be weird to have them make honey out of thin air.Or the killer bee hive's sole purpose would be to generate (tame) killer bees and nullify the need to go out and get nectar from flowers.

I'd say the second suggestion should only trigger if your world would be comepletely free of bees.Have a max of 8 spawn when bees are extinct,so you could at least leave room for some mistakes,and make at least one beehive which then generates more bees.

Well one way could be that beehives get a lifecycle,similar to spider nests,in which bees move to a flowery area,and slowly start to construct a new hive.The honeycomb however would only be obtainable from a fully build hive,otherwise mass farming would happen,and players would have a crapton of bee boxes(imho if you have 4 you have enough honey for life,once they made the first batch of honey),thus overproducing honey which can be dumped in a research/alchemy machine for RP,or have an overkill of healing possibilities.

dadougler    10

I was just using a standard map gen. It was definitely my fault for not understanding the mechanics of the killer bees, but don't think the punishment for not understanding mechanics should be a required map regen.

Maybe the life cycle would work and they could use a "honey badger" much like the turkey to prevent farming.

Spazmatic    1034

I was just using a standard map gen. It was definitely my fault for not understanding the mechanics of the killer bees, but don't think the punishment for not understanding mechanics should be a required map regen.

Maybe the life cycle would work and they could use a "honey badger" much like the turkey to prevent farming.

Well,the new map gen isn't required,and due to being highly experimental can have various outcomes regarding what spawns on it and what not.Though the way your map get's generated shouldn't be a reason to have a rather important creature get easily extinct.I'm sure the map gen in the end will solve that problem though.I'd still advice you to make an entire new world,and try the new mapgen out,see how it works for you.If you don't like it then stick to the standard map gen

necroforger    11

I also fill this awy...since my game only have 3 bee hives and i aready destroyed 2 of them =/....but i believe option 2 should be nice ;P

Edited by necroforger

JebusTheFrog    11

I found that if the hive doesn't have bees coming out of it, hit once, catch 1 killer bee and then run from the rest, those 5 KB's will return to the nest and become yellow bee's

dadougler    10

I found that if the hive doesn't have bees coming out of it, hit once, catch 1 killer bee and then run from the rest, those 5 KB's will return to the nest and become yellow bee's

I just wanted to confirm that this does actually work. It just not very intuitive. It will be interested to see how this mechanic develops over time.

JebusTheFrog    11

I just wanted to confirm that this does actually work. It just not very intuitive. It will be interested to see how this mechanic develops over time.

Glad it worked for you too :)