What shall we do about the Yaarctopus?

We all know that the Yaarctopus is terribly unbalanced, in the sense that it only gives you 1 dubloon per fish and can only be traded with once a day. Pretty crappy, especially compared to the generous sugar-daddy pig king from RoG.

So what do you think we should do about it? 

I was thinking that we could have a craftable gold generator fueled by obsidian or nightmare fuel. It would be crafted at the obsidian thingie in the caves (it wouldn't be craftable via the brain hat though), and would work like the ice makers. At least then we'd have a renewable source of gold in some form or another.

As someone who's alway felt that RoG's end game content is very weak and almost useless, I'm happy to see that Shipwrecked is a bit better on this front. But the gold issue is still there, and although you may argue that you can grab gold from your RoG world through the seaworthy, that isn't technically Shipwrecked now, is it? World linking wasn't originally planned, so the barely renewable gold issue should still be addressed.

This is just my suggestion though. What do you think we should do about it? I imagine that others have better concepts than my own.

You started off with yarrctopus and ended with a gold producing machine? How does that work?

Anyhow, I would like to have yarrctopus more predictable to find.

Then I guess increasing the numbers of trade to 3 maybe should be enough. It can also depend on what you give it. Say giving it trinkets could be unlimited, giving it food would be limited to 3.

I think it would be fine if only the Yaarctopus wouldn't fall asleep after every trade. You can trade constantly with the Pig King, so trading a fish per day for one third of a piece of gold seems pretty unfair. I like the concept of dubloons, but I wish they were a replacement for gold instead of just a useless item that you have to hold on to until you have enough to make something else. If they could be crafted into other things it would make sense, but I usually just feel like they're hogging my inventory slots...

I don't know about making a gold generator since they already have the slot machine, despite it being a gamble. I think they should just give the Yaarctopus some redbull and balance it out, or eliminate dubloons entirely, even though they're super cute and piratey. I would suggest just replacing gold with dubloons, but that wouldn't make sense for mining/digging. :<

I envisioned the Yaarctopus to be more piratey, that is it would engage in petty trades and would really male it rain.

I think it should be kept to a trade per day with generous rewards for expensive trinkets and lavish meals. Sends its minions after you for offering unsightly rewards, however.

44 minutes ago, Luponius said:

I envisioned the Yaarctopus to be more piratey, that is it would engage in petty trades and would really male it rain.

I think it should be kept to a trade per day with generous rewards for expensive trinkets and lavish meals. Sends its minions after you for offering unsightly rewards, however.

apparently Yaarctopus does give you other stuff like sails, telescopes, bottle lantern which are more useful then gold and gold can now easily be found around the ship wrecked world OR thru gambling with the slot machine, tough I still find it hard finding the octopus rather then gold in most occasions...

My latest Shipwrecked world had gold up the wazoo on the adjacent islands... from gold rocks, rock piles, or just lying around... then a DoyDoy island next to the volcano and the Yaarctopus... I had like 4 1/2 stacks of gold going on... so... I guess I was lucky...

So, I guess with free fish from the Fishermen for fish dishes and easy (well, not that easy) trinkets by way of Trawl Nets, it could be fair to make him tradable for just once a day, however, the real "problem" or difficulty now would be locating him the vast oceans... well, that's just me...

my suggestion would be to be able to get some special food item from yaarctopus like crackers. which you can use to craft a food stand filled with crackers to attract these pirate birds which can drop dubloons? this way you get a higher chance of dropping gold dubloons to craft gold.

1 hour ago, SapphireBullets said:

Maybe we need to have a couple of Yarrctopuses spawn in the world rather than just one.

I don't like this idea, even though I understand where you're coming from.  Quite frankly the Yaarctopus should be as is, but the gifts and rewards need to be stepped up a bit.  Essentially, the inputs should be higher yielding higher outputs as well.  That chest needs to feel as though it's genuinely filled with loot.  I would personally make him a mid/late game character you wouldn't need / want to setup close to him, but rather occasionally visit him for some specially booty!

I dunno, I kinda like the challenge of conserving gold in Shipwrecked. On the one hand, you can't use the Yarrctopus to turn heaps of Monster Jerkey into Gold Nuggets, but on the other hand, birds often drop Dubloons on you out of nowhere. It doesn't exactly balance out on a gold-for-time basis, but it's a lot better than running out of gold-bearing rocks and not being able to get more.

Regarding the Yarrctopus directly, it wouldn't hurt to incentivize visiting him more often. As it is, I kinda think "Do I really want a Dubloon right now?" instead of "Hey, I wonder what he has for me today!"

I'm not a fan of just recreating everything we had in the other dlc because it's an inconvenience to do without it. It's not even a big inconvenience. 

I wouldn't be against extending Yarrctopus's trading limit or his assortment of goods. 

3 hours ago, YumoS said:

my suggestion would be to be able to get some special food item from yaarctopus like crackers. which you can use to craft a food stand filled with crackers to attract these pirate birds which can drop dubloons? this way you get a higher chance of dropping gold dubloons to craft gold.

I actually really like this idea.

Having the ability to farm the pirate birds in some way would be perfect, maybe (as some have already suggested) making them drop dubloons when in a bird cage, either periodically or in exchange for certain items.

But having a way to attract them sounds pretty cool.

1 minute ago, YsaNoire said:

I'm not a fan of just recreating everything we had in the other dlc because it's an inconvenience to do without it. It's not even a big inconvenience. 

I wouldn't be against extending Yarrctopus's trading limit or his assortment of goods. 

My issue with Shipwrecked though is that they missed out some of the most vital things from RoG and then added in some of the worse ones (I'm looking at you, straw hat).

I guess that you could farm obsidian now and make tools out of that instead, but that limits you somewhat as to what you can make. Maybe an 

But anyway: yes, you're right, directly copying items from RoG or the base game isn't a good idea.

There are several threads about this already btw.  In one it was suggested that coffee should be used to keep him awake.  Regardless my opinion is that he is TOTALLY broken.  So broken in fact that you can tell that Klei is not behind the wheel on this game.  The original pig king makes more sense for a 1 trade a day mechanic cause he's easy to find and he's SUPER useful, but the Yartcopuss cmon.  First off the world is HUGE!, like 3-4 times bigger than single player.  Second of all you're gonna hide this dude in this HUGE world.  Now when you find him its great and you have this awesome resource at your disposal, that is if you live DIRECTLY next to him, otherwise he's worthless, cause you gotta travel the HUGE world to get to him and you're only able to give him 1 thing.  2 things if you arrive just before night and wait until morning but otherwise just sitting around waiting for the days to go buy to trade with him is a waste of time. 

I don't thing they need to make him easier to find they just need to remove the retarded going to sleep mechanic.  This one a day trade is so stupid it renders our pig king equivalent TOTALLY USELESS. 

12 minutes ago, Clwnbaby said:

There are several threads about this already btw.  In one it was suggested that coffee should be used to keep him awake.  Regardless my opinion is that he is TOTALLY broken.  So broken in fact that you can tell that Klei is not behind the wheel on this game.  The original pig king makes more sense for a 1 trade a day mechanic cause he's easy to find and he's SUPER useful, but the Yartcopuss cmon.  First off the world is HUGE!, like 3-4 times bigger than single player.  Second of all you're gonna hide this dude in this HUGE world.  Now when you find him its great and you have this awesome resource at your disposal, that is if you live DIRECTLY next to him, otherwise he's worthless, cause you gotta travel the HUGE world to get to him and you're only able to give him 1 thing.  2 things if you arrive just before night and wait until morning but otherwise just sitting around waiting for the days to go buy to trade with him is a waste of time. 

I don't thing they need to make him easier to find they just need to remove the retarded going to sleep mechanic.  This one a day trade is so stupid it renders our pig king equivalent TOTALLY USELESS. 

I agree with your points, not your suggested solution.  He might be the Pig King equivalent, but there's no need for him to be a Pig King clone.  Sleeping with 1 a day trades could work, but the reward needs to be worthwhile, and right now, doubloons, which are fractions of a gold nugget are just silly.  The expected trade-in items should be made more lavish, fit for a Yaarctopus, and the rewards need to be BIG! Fitting of a chest that surfaces at the whim of this fella.

It should be that guarantee of greatness that would make this character interesting, making him a Pig King clone will do the exact opposite of what the devs clearly intended with him - which is to make him unique while still fulfilling the older role of a Pig King.

13 hours ago, Luponius said:

but the reward needs to be worthwhile,

I dont use yartopuss for doubloons i use him for sails and such.  Trinkets aren't common enough to be trading for doubloons and even if they were yaaarctopus needs to stay awake for more than 1 trade.  Nothing, and i do mean NOTHING is worth the time that is wasted sitting around waiting for him to wake up.  The mechanic is retarded and renders him USELESS!  Nothing you say or add or come up with changes that.

13 minutes ago, Clwnbaby said:

I dont use yartopuss for doubloons i use him for sails and such.  Trinkets aren't common enough to be trading for doubloons and even if they were yaaarctopus needs to stay away for more than 1 trade.  Nothing, and i do mean NOTHING is worth the time that is wasted sitting around waiting for him to wake up.  The mechanic is retarded and renders him USELESS!  Nothing you say or add or come up with changes that.

Yeah cause it's not like they could add in a thing simular to graves where if you remove a sand pile you have 5% chance to get a trinket and 1% to get gears? Just sayin

2 hours ago, Clwnbaby said:

I dont use yartopuss for doubloons i use him for sails and such.  Trinkets aren't common enough to be trading for doubloons and even if they were yaaarctopus needs to stay awake for more than 1 trade.  Nothing, and i do mean NOTHING is worth the time that is wasted sitting around waiting for him to wake up.  The mechanic is retarded and renders him USELESS!  Nothing you say or add or come up with changes that.

I was mostly referring to novel items you might not get or craft easily out in the open. Uncommon / expensive weapons, seasonal gear, and some items possibly for the volcano

22 hours ago, YumoS said:

On an unrelated note, how awesome would it be to own a pet pirate parrot named Crackers? :D

5 hours ago, NoQuitting said:

What shall we do? We shall download my mod so you can trade with the Yaarctopus unlimited times. (You need a coffee)

Not cool. Too much dependency chain. I like the idea of getting a random dubloon of 0-10 a day for a fish trade.

Archived