Dedicated Server Quick Setup Guide - Windows

so i crafted the .batch file and closed the file then reopened it and received errors. could this be due to my server being created before the .bat file? should i just re-create a new server and delete the old one and its files except the .bat?

command prompt.PNG

cmnd prmpt 2.PNG

@ui7j3w that error simply means you didn't install SteamCMD in the correct file location.

For the first step, where you need to download SteamCMD. Where did you download it to?

If you follow this guide specifically, you should unzip the SteamCMD files into C:\steamcmd. If folder doesn't exist, create it. As instructed in Step 1 of this guide.

Hello @Luxianfan, welcome to the forums.

The valid servers simply refers to the LISTED Server Cluster Tokens under SERVERS in https://accounts.klei.com/account/game/servers?game=DontStarveTogether that you can configure if you wish to. If all your LISTED Server Cluster Tokens are marked RED and reached expiration date, you just need to instead click the ADD SERVER button at the bottom of the webpage to generate a new Cluster Token (for your server).

for anyone still wondering about mods... I didn't search this entire thread, but here was my solution for adding mods to a steamcmd-based DST dedicated server:

https://steamcommunity.com/app/346110/discussions/10/530649887212662565/?l=hungarian

you need this parameter in your bat file:

+workshop_download_item 1234567890 1234567891 1234567892

the numbers are just examples; replace those with the workship IDs of the mods you want.

you will still need the mods folder (copied from the previously working server) inside the cluster folder.

so now my bat file first line looks like this:

c:\steamcmd\steamcmd.exe +login anonymous +app_update 343050 +workshop_download_item 1301797221 1458450094 1595631294 357459277 378160973 458940297 478005098 767776640 866623002 validate +quit

On 2/11/2016 at 7:30 PM, V2C said:

1. Download and install SteamCMDClick here to download

2. Start Don't Starve Together from Steam and click on the "Play!" button.

Reveal hidden contents

2_title.png

3. Click on the "Account" button.

Reveal hidden contents

main_menu_account_button.jpg

4. On the accounts page, visit the “GAMES” page, then click the “Don’t Starve Together Servers” button.

Reveal hidden contents

accounts_games_servertoken2.jpg

5. If you don’t have any server yet, please click the “ADD NEW SERVER” button. If you have a valid server, click the green “CONFIGURE” button. Expired servers are colored in red and should be deleted.

Reveal hidden contents

add_new_server.jpg

6. In the “Configure Server” page you will find a form with some options that you can edit to customize your server. Once you are ready, click the “Download Settings” button. Download the Zip archive, extract the content, and place the folder “MyDediServer” inside \\Documents\Klei\DoNotStarveTogether\.

Reveal hidden contents

configure_server.jpg

mydediserver.png

7. Copy and save the following text to:

• \\Documents\Klei\StartDSTServers.bat
  Reveal hidden contents

c:\steamcmd\steamcmd.exe +login anonymous +app_update 343050 validate +quit
cd /D "c:\steamcmd\steamapps\common\Don't Starve Together Dedicated Server\bin"
start dontstarve_dedicated_server_nullrenderer -console -cluster MyDediServer -shard Master
start dontstarve_dedicated_server_nullrenderer -console -cluster MyDediServer -shard Caves

8. Checklist of all the files you should have now:

Reveal hidden contents
  • \\Documents\Klei\DoNotStarveTogether\MyDediServer\cluster_token.txt
  • \\Documents\Klei\DoNotStarveTogether\MyDediServer\cluster.ini
  • \\Documents\Klei\DoNotStarveTogether\MyDediServer\Master\server.ini
  • \\Documents\Klei\DoNotStarveTogether\MyDediServer\Caves\server.ini
  • \\Documents\Klei\DoNotStarveTogether\MyDediServer\Caves\worldgenoverride.lua

9. Double-click StartDSTServers.bat to start your dedicated servers!

Sorry for the necro, though not really necro to me as I just started playing a few days ago and needed to put up two duel servers. The above came in very handy, and just wanted to say thanks!!! First time ever I have used Steam CMD. I been tinkering with game servers for years, and my first one ever was runuo, 15 years ago. I passed up a few in the past on Steam because for some reason, Steam cmd was sort of intimidating for me. Today was no exception as I expected when I ran the file, Id get a normal install, but instead the program installed right where I had clicked on it, making the directories incorrect. I made a few changes using your instructions and just modifying the paths, and surprisingly, got both servers up and running. The mods took a little more work, but in all, this post helped greatly!!! Thanks again.

Hello everyone.

I use the Don't Starve Dedicated Server to build the server. Sometimes it works. However, most of time it occurs to me that:

[00:00:38]: CURL ERROR: (d2fr86khx60an2.cloudfront.net) SSL read: error:00000000:lib(0):func(0):reason(0), errno 10054

[00:02:43]: Gameserver logged on to Steam, assigned identity steamid:90131933119105032

[00:12:46]: Gameserver logged on to Steam, assigned identity steamid:90131933119105032

How to deal with that? Is it because the unstable network? BTW, I also tried the login.kleientertainment.com/HealthCheck and the result is 'ok'.

Edited by Allen_DST

A friend of mine is using a server hosting service and they are at a loss for mod "issues". Was wondering if anyone has experience and could point me in the right direction of why we are getting flooded in our server log with similar errors:  Could not load mod_config_data/modconfiguration_workshop-1234567890_CLIENT (mod number has been changed as it is for about 11 mods) not all are flagged in modinfo as all_clients_required but are traditionally not client_only mods. Most of the mods are up-to-date and don't have these problems as a self-host normally launched but seems as if all mods that are tried to be loaded aren't loading properly. When we were using Global Positions we kept getting clients flooded with: GlobalPositions warning: Invalid GPC. So much so that it was flooding the clients and was causing some serious lag. We've been able to "successfully" play with mods enabled, but they aren't running properly and we've had terrible lag with this dedicated server with only 4-6 slots full. I've personally checked RAM and CPU usage and their fine. I feel if there is an issue with the game host service and they are trying to deflect issues to the mod. But they host files and guides haven't been updated since A New Reign beta. So any help would be great. Cheers!

Alright, server OP with the weird questions is back again :)

The situation layout is this: I'm implementing a security mod to help with the jerks that visit just once to grief then disappear.  I've chosen and am implementing one that suits my needs, but for any security mod they only implement with newly built structures, not existing ones, so no matter what I am going to be forced to tear down and rebuild the camp.  Admin-spawning items will not work for protection coverage, they have to built.  I've considered activating creative/freebuild mode to ease the job so I can just readily rebuild everything without regathering all our mats again, but I know from messing around with this command in test servers that the recipe unlocks remain permanent even when the command is redacted, and there is a lot of boss-related recipes I haven't learned yet that I want to earn legitimately in the future.

So the question is this: is there a way to reverse the unlocked recipes from the freebuild command, or is character data backed up and stored someplace that I can back up my character status before doing my repair work, and then revert it to its state once the job is done.  Or is there an additional command that'll allow building without mats but not actually unlock any recipes.

On 2/11/2016 at 10:30 PM, V2C said:

1. Download and install SteamCMDClick here to download

2. Start Don't Starve Together from Steam and click on the "Play!" button.

Reveal hidden contents

2_title.png

3. Click on the "Account" button.

Reveal hidden contents

main_menu_account_button.jpg

4. On the accounts page, visit the “GAMES” page, then click the “Don’t Starve Together Servers” button.

Reveal hidden contents

accounts_games_servertoken2.jpg

5. If you don’t have any server yet, please click the “ADD NEW SERVER” button. If you have a valid server, click the green “CONFIGURE” button. Expired servers are colored in red and should be deleted.

Reveal hidden contents

add_new_server.jpg

6. In the “Configure Server” page you will find a form with some options that you can edit to customize your server. Once you are ready, click the “Download Settings” button. Download the Zip archive, extract the content, and place the folder “MyDediServer” inside \\Documents\Klei\DoNotStarveTogether\.

Reveal hidden contents

configure_server.jpg

mydediserver.png

7. Copy and save the following text to:

Reveal hidden contents

start dontstarve_dedicated_server_nullrenderer -console -cluster MyDediServer -shard Master
start dontstarve_dedicated_server_nullrenderer -console -cluster MyDediServer -shard Caves

8. Checklist of all the files you should have now:

Reveal hidden contents
  • \\Documents\Klei\DoNotStarveTogether\MyDediServer\cluster_token.txt
  • \\Documents\Klei\DoNotStarveTogether\MyDediServer\cluster.ini
  • \\Documents\Klei\DoNotStarveTogether\MyDediServer\Master\server.ini
  • \\Documents\Klei\DoNotStarveTogether\MyDediServer\Caves\server.ini
  • \\Documents\Klei\DoNotStarveTogether\MyDediServer\Caves\worldgenoverride.lua

9. Double-click StartDSTServers.bat to start your dedicated servers!

When I click DOWNLOAD SETTINGS in step 6, the box that opens up is looking to open a file, not to save one. 
EDIT: I opened the link in a browser instead of the Steam browser and that fixed the issue.

Also, am I correct in interpreting these instructions to mean that I install SteamCMD and follow the SteamCMD installation directions up to the point where I download/install a server app and then stop those instructions to resume these ones?

Edited by TheJoePilato

@Zillvr Hi, I have the same problem that @ui7j3w, I have steamCDM stored in a separate folder on the desktop. In the Klei folder I have a functional StartDSTServers.bat but it is not possible to run it. I reset everything and withdrewagain but still nothing ... I need help. Thank you in advance :)

Edited by Fi7iP

@Fi7iP As mentioned, if you follow this guide and copy paste the specified commands for the StartDSTServers.bat file, then you would also have to follow the instructions as mentioned.

Your SteamCMD should be placed in a new folder (which you would manually create) to be given the folder name "steamcmd" into drive "C:\" since this guide assumes you'd follow the instructions in https://developer.valvesoftware.com/wiki/SteamCMD as noted in Step 1.

It'll be easier if you move the steamcmd files to the specified location cause otherwise, you'd have to rewrite the command syntax of the StartDSTServers.bat file (which can be messy and confusing).

If you look at the syntax of the .bat file the first line specifically calls to the folder location of "c:\steamcmd\steamcmd.exe" and not your desktop where you currently seem to have placed your steamcmd files.

So move the steamcmd files to instructed location "C:\steamcmd"

• Thanks 1

@ZillvrThank you very much. The main reason for my problem was that I didn't save the steamCMD in separate folder created in C :. When I moved CMD to C :, everything works ... (so far :)). But I have a question for you: When I turn off  computer, my dedicated server stays on or does it shut down together with my computer?

Edited by Fi7iP

@KIDOdeath, welcome to the forums.

You have to manually create the StartDstServers.bat file. Steps:

• Open notepad program
  • Copy and paste the following text into the notepad as instructed in step 7 of this guide:
start dontstarve_dedicated_server_nullrenderer -console -cluster MyDediServer -shard Master
start dontstarve_dedicated_server_nullrenderer -console -cluster MyDediServer -shard Caves
  • Click File > Save As 
  • Select "All Files" for Save as type
  • Enter "StartDSTServers.bat" for File name:
  • Save to \Documents\Klei\
  • Like 1

Ok. I've set up a DST dedicated server on a desktop I have.  I want to play DST from my laptop, and I'm getting a thing that says the server is running on another computer and if I launch DST, it will log out my server.  What have I done wrong? Or is there a way to do this?

Whoops, just needed to get up my nerve to run it.  Server still there.  Nevermind.

Edited by SusanMcO

I thought I had my server up and running (second one on the same machine, running at different times for different groups) but it reset itself after a week away. Any idea what might cause this?

We played the first session for a couple of hours and all was well. Everybody left then I shut the server down using c_shutdown(). A week later I fire the server back up but it's not appearing in my Previously Visited list. I key in the server name specifically, find it, sign in, and it's like a brand new server. Day 1, no character progress, different map. We played through again but now I'm scared to open it because I fear it will be erased. Any idea what is causing this and whether I can fix it without having to restart?

I suspect it has to do with the ports in the server.ini files and the cluster.ini file, as that bit still confuses me a little. Is there a list of suggested ports or will anything work so long as the correct ones match and don't match? Also, can I get a refresher on which ones need to match and not match if I want to have two different servers on the same machine and I DON'T want to run them simultaneously? Thank you all.

EDIT: Also, what should be in the folder DoNotStarveTogetherDedicated? Before and after initial server startup.

Edited by TheJoePilato
Thought of another question.