Dedicated Server Quick Setup Guide - Windows

@Remps then you are saving it incorrectly. Open your StartDSTServers.bat.txt file and Click File > Save As > Set Save as Type: To All Types > In file name set as StartDSTServers.bat > Save

Now it should be a batch file, also seen as Windows Batch File under file type if you set your Folder Option Views to Details. If you get that File Type, then you have it saved correctly as a batch file.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Zillvr said:

@Remps then you are saving it incorrectly. Open your StartDSTServers.bat.txt file and Click File > Save As > Set Save as Type: To All Types > In file name set as StartDSTServers.bat > Save

Now it should be a batch file, also seen as Windows Batch File under file type if you set your Folder Option Views to Details. If you get that File Type, then you have it saved correctly as a batch file.

i did but now invalid token error i used all tokens but same 

@Remps Invalid token could mean any of the following, check them one by one:

• Incorrect filename, make sure the filename is just cluster_token and saved as a .txt file. And not a text file with a file name of "cluster_token.txt", which would actually be a cluster_token.txt.txt
  • Token has expired so you have to generate another token. Either through Console Commands or in your Klei Account Page directly through browser.
  • Incorrect file directory, make sure the cluster token you are using is in the specified server files you made. It should be beside the cluster.ini file.

BTW about the cluster_token.txt file name, just do the same method we did for the .bat file (setting Save as type to All Types) but instead write "cluster_token.txt".

Cause saving cluster_token.txt on default settings with a notepad becomes a cluster_token.txt.txt file. I hope it's not too confusing.

Edited by Zillvr
  • Thanks 1

@Remps make sure your dedicated server is running the same version as the dst client. The game client has been updated recently so it's likely your server is running the old version which is why your DST can't see it.

Make sure you have the "+validate" in your StartDSTServers.bat. Refer to Step 11 of this guide.

Oh and just realized you have to also change the first line in the batch file (StartDSTServers.bat). But it seems you corrected it already. If not, do so. Your batch file should reflect your custom SteamCMD installation location. Sorry about that. Wherever it is you installed your SteamCMD, if it's in C:, you don't have to change anything.

@Remps the "validate" command is in the first line of the batch file (StartDSTServers.bat). Make sure you have the "validate" word there.

5c4db6c19ee14_Screenshot(245).thumb.png.a7d2789fe8baf7fe634c9fe3e4303b6d.png

Looking at the screenshots you attached, it's a whole different issue. You need to make sure that the caves server.ini file has a different server_port number from the master's server.ini.

• Go to Documents\Klei\DoNotStarveTogether\MyDediServer\Master\
  • Open server.ini file
  • Make sure it has this line:
server_port = 11000
  • Go to Documents\Klei\DoNotStarveTogether\MyDediServer\Caves\
  • Open server.ini file
server_port = 11001

You could also use 10999 for one and 10998 for the other. Just make sure they are different from each other. If they are the same, you will get the error:

"....SOCKET_PORT_ALREADY_IN_USE."

Edited by Zillvr

On 2016-02-11 at 10:30 PM, V2C said:

11. Copy and save the following text to:

• \\Documents\Klei\StartDSTServers.bat
  Hide contents

c:\steamcmd\steamcmd.exe +login anonymous +app_update 343050 validate +quit
cd /D "c:\steamcmd\steamapps\common\Don't Starve Together Dedicated Server\bin"
start dontstarve_dedicated_server_nullrenderer -console -cluster MyDediServer -shard Master
start dontstarve_dedicated_server_nullrenderer -console -cluster MyDediServer -shard Caves

Hey for anyone that does get it up and running I might suggest a slight modification on starting the servers, I found that I wanted to identify each window with its own name so I made 3 bat (cmd) files 

StartDSTServers.cmd

c:\steamcmd\steamcmd.exe +login anonymous +app_update 343050 validate +quit
     start startmaster.cmd
     start startcaves.cmd

Startmaster.cmd

@Echo Off
     Title "DST Dedicated server Master"
     dontstarve_dedicated_server_nullrenderer -console -cluster DoNotStarveTogetherDedicated -shard Master 

Startcaves.cmd

@echo off
     title "DST Dedicated Server Caves"
     dontstarve_dedicated_server_nullrenderer -console -cluster DoNotStarveTogetherDedicated -shard Caves

This Does the same thing but now your Windows will be labeled, also if you want you can add a /HIGH (LOW,NORMAL,HIGH,REALTIME,ABOVENORMAL,BELOWNORMAL) as a windows priority for each server if your truly using a dedicated vm or pc to run it.

eg. start startmaster.cmd /high

note: you can put whatever name you want in the title "whatever you want it to be called"

9 hours ago, Chaosky said:

I keep getting this problem does anyone know how to fix this? 

errorklei.jpg

Means you didn't install SteamCMD in the correct installation location. If you're going to follow this guide to the letter, then you should have installed SteamCMD into c:\steamcmd.

• Create a folder in drive c and name it steamcmd,
  • Download steamCMD for Windows (link in guide's step 1)
  • Extract files to that folder

On 27/1/2019 at 8:53 PM, Zillvr said:

@Remps the "validate" command is in the first line of the batch file (StartDSTServers.bat). Make sure you have the "validate" word there.

5c4db6c19ee14_Screenshot(245).thumb.png.a7d2789fe8baf7fe634c9fe3e4303b6d.png

Looking at the screenshots you attached, it's a whole different issue. You need to make sure that the caves server.ini file has a different server_port number from the master's server.ini.

• Go to Documents\Klei\DoNotStarveTogether\MyDediServer\Master\
  • Open server.ini file
  • Make sure it has this line:

server_port = 11000
  • Go to Documents\Klei\DoNotStarveTogether\MyDediServer\Caves\
  • Open server.ini file

server_port = 11001

You could also use 10999 for one and 10998 for the other. Just make sure they are different from each other. If they are the same, you will get the error:

"....SOCKET_PORT_ALREADY_IN_USE."

I have the same error, my server port is the same as yours but its not working

image.png

4 hours ago, KeiNguyen208 said:

I have the same error, my server port is the same as yours but its not working

image.png

server.ini content-wise, everything seems to be in order. Afaik the # just comments out that specific line and inconsequential to the syntax of the whole thing so that probably isn't an issue.

Can you confirm that they are in fact .ini files and not server.ini.txt files?

Set your Folder Options View to Details and under filetype, these should be "Configuration settings" and not "Text Document". If they are seen as Text Document then you just have to resave them with the correct file type with the correct method.

While in \\Documents\Klei\DoNotStarveTogether\MyDediServer\Master\

• Open server.ini.txt file
  • Click File
  • Click Save As
  • Browse to your Master folder (\\Documents\Klei\DoNotStarveTogether\MyDediServer\Caves\)
  • Type server.ini in File Name:
  • Set Save as Type to "All Files (*.*)"
  • Save
  • Do the same for the server.ini in the Caves folder

Also, can you confirm you have the correct file location?

If you are following this guide, refer to step 8 & 9.

13 minutes ago, Zillvr said:

server.ini content-wise, everything seems to be in order. Afaik the # just comments out that specific line and inconsequential to the syntax of the whole thing so that probably isn't an issue.

Can you confirm that they are in fact .ini files and not server.ini.txt files?

Set your Folder Options View to Details and under filetype, these should be "Configuration settings" and not "Text Document". If they are seen as Text Document then you just have to resave them with the correct file type with the correct method.

While in \\Documents\Klei\DoNotStarveTogether\MyDediServer\Master\

• Open server.ini.txt file
  • Click File
  • Click Save As
  • Browse to your Master folder (\\Documents\Klei\DoNotStarveTogether\MyDediServer\Caves\)
  • Type server.ini in File Name:
  • Set Save as Type to "All Files (*.*)"
  • Save
  • Do the same for the server.ini in the Caves folder

Also, can you confirm you have the correct file location?

If you are following this guide, refer to step 8 & 9.

The file location & file type .ini are all exactly.

We're trying much times and I thought that the save file have problem so the world can't load :(
Anw, thanks for your respond

Just now, KeiNguyen208 said:

The file location & file type .ini are all exactly.

We're trying much times and I thought that the save file have problem so the world can't load :(
Anw, thanks for your respond

Try changing the numbers for the server_port. Also are you using this guide specifically? Cause if you use a differently written batch file to launch your dedicated server, there is a possibility that you are launching duplicates which make the socket port conflict with each other.

It's been a good long while since I've made a dedicated server for DST, and I'm noticing the authentication token file isn't working AT ALL! I didn't even get a settings.ini file. All I wanna do is attempt to see if DST will load properly for my boyfriend and I to play on the same network (we live together FYI) but ever since the latest updates, we haven't been able to play. I've been plugging away trying with the dedicated server but it's not working.

On 2016/2/12 at AM11点30分, V2C said:

two questions here:

1.How to fix the problem that ping looks like"???"image.png.1d33cd68db8419dd13a76165dac2ba98.png

2.the cluster.ini doesn't work properly.In the pictrue you can see the “cluster_name” and the "cluster_description" actually worked, but the "max_players" and the "pause_when_empty" really doesn't work. And you know that the "pause_when_empty" is so important that without it I can't open the dst server when I am not online.

image.png.3017e0a326c437ccd6a0a7794bb04208.pngimage.thumb.png.dc05e366c8205d65f62899301ab218b8.png

I really need some helps, just waiting here.

在2016/2/12上午11:30,V2C说:

Looks like the NETWORK part always works, and the GAMEPLAY part didn't.

Alright, so after getting settled in and making a few friends on severs on three different occasions, and having each of those servers shut down mysteriously and never return, I decided it was time I created my own.  However I am running into an error with my cluster token.  I had been following this guide (http://gameserversetup.com/dont-starve-together-dedicated-server-setup-guide/) though ran into problems at the BAT file, which appeared to be the exact same text as on the guide here but the spacing was different, and I corrected that with using the text as displayed in the guide on this forum.  However the current hurdle as said was the cluster token.  I've tried multiple ways to get this fixed, and have failed thus far.

1) I followed the directions as shown in my above guide to manually make a cluster token file, but the command windows produced the error I will show below.

2) I attempted to use the button provided on the Klei website as accessed through the steam browser, but no file download pops up.  That or the file is downloading automatically in a location that I am unaware of.  If this is the case someone please direct me to where to find the file.

3) Assuming that my failure to receive a download directory for the files was due to problems between the steam browser and the klei website, I attempted to copy the web address and past it into a differ browser, but the resulting blank page has the orange klei background but otherwise no interactable elements.

As is the case with any of these attempts, when I try to run the BAT file, after much loading and it transferring to the two command windows, I get the following message in both command prompts:

• [200] Account failed 960: "E_INVALID_TOKEN"
  • !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • !!!! Your Server Will Not Start !!!!
  • !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • No auth token could be found.
  • To generate a cluster_token you must
  • open the consol from a logged-in game
  • client with the tilde key (~ / `) and type:
  • TheNet:GenerateClusterToken()
  • This will create 'cluster_token.txt' in
  • your client settings directory.  Copy this
  • into your cluster settings directory.
  • [Connect] PendingConnection::Reset(true)
  • … FilesExistAsyncThread complete

Following these instructions in my game client while not providing any errors, also does not tell me where I am to find this command-generated token.  After doing a file search on my computer I finally turned up an additional file with the name cluster_token.txt in the folder \Documents\Klei|DoNotStarveTogether\107221256.  Copying and pasting this file into the needed location only continues to produce the same error as above.  Can anyone shed some light on this situation for me, or are the tokens just broken right now?

Edited by Raiden_Sola
typos