Dedicated Server Quick Setup Guide - Windows

Hello friends,
yet decided on the issue of mapping ping?
ports in the router are open, the firewall is turned off, the antivirus is also disabled
but, ping is still displayed as "???"
What else do I need to do?

win 10 x86, steam dst Dedicated Server.

On 13.09.2017 at 1:42 PM, kecapb said:

Hello friends,
yet decided on the issue of mapping ping?
ports in the router are open, the firewall is turned off, the antivirus is also disabled
but, ping is still displayed as "???"
What else do I need to do?

win 10 x86, steam dst Dedicated Server.

problem solved

Hello, thank you so much for the guide. I have my server on and running. Now I'm on day 500+ , so here the problem I encounter.  The cave is not active, I found the sinkhole and mine it but it's plugged with roots. I know there has to be something with the configuration.  Please help me with this.

On ‎5‎/‎15‎/‎2016 at 9:06 AM, Redfyre said:

Good morning all!

I seem to have gotten nearly everything up and running properly with all of the help and assistance in this forum thread. However, there is just one other thing that I cannot seem to pin down and get working properly.

So my Master server starts up just fine with no issues at all. Wonderful, I can connect to this Master server using the server browser with no issues at all.

However, when I look at the SteamCMD interface for the Caves server, it cannot seem to connect to the Master server, and continuously retries, over and over again, to no avail. See the screenshot below:
e3e2a3e815.png

I apologize if this has already been resolved earlier on in this document. Below are the settings for my Master and Caves server.ini files.

Master server.ini

[NETWORK]
server_port = 11000

[SHARD]
is_master = true

[STEAM]
master_server_port = 27018
authentication_port = 8768

Caves server.ini

[NETWORK]
server_port = 11001

[SHARD]
is_master = false
name = Caves

[STEAM]
master_server_port = 27019
authentication_port = 8769

My folder structure for the DST_Server
232700c6fa.png

Folder structure for the Caves folder
0eb2f2414f.png

I think this has something to do with the Caves server.ini file, but again I have no idea why it cannot connect to the Master server.

Any help would be appreciated!

Hi, so how did you solve your problem?  Could you help me with mine?  My server is up and running and I'm on the day 500+ , all good except my Cave sinkhole is rooted.  I can't access it. I see the sinkhole and I mine it but it's cover with root. Is there something with the setting?

On ‎5‎/‎15‎/‎2016 at 10:28 AM, Zillvr said:

Hello @Redfyre, welcome to the forums. Have you given the executable called dontstarve_dedicated_server_nullrenderer (located under steamcmd\steamapps\common\Don't Starve Together Dedicated Server\bin) permissions through your firewall/antivirus? Or setting that executable to run program as administrator? 

Could you please help with mine?  My server is up and running, on the day 500+ but my problem is I've noticed that my Caves not active. I found the sinkhole and mine it but it's covered with root instead of just a hole.  Please help me to fix this and I really don't want to lose my saved game.

My cluster is token is invalid? 

I tried generating a world from Don't Starve gui and then copy pasting its token into my dedicated one, which worked for a little while but it expired quickly.

Pasting in the token from my account info doesnt seem to be working, the contents off my cluster token looks something like this

'pds-g^KU_b71Qn^d0C+nBVZEGQmPEzUqrYJJAM8aq29I='

Hello @LillyTreva, welcome to the forums.

...is there any way to add modded content into the dedicated server? If yes, how?

Yes, you can look through the reply I made in this thread about adding mods, depending on which method you use to run the server the location in which to transfer the mod files would be different. If you're using SteamCMD, then it should be in that equivalent location under your SteamCMD folder and vice versa.

...how can I setup a player to be an administrator/moderator in game? If that's possible.

Yes, it is possible. You'll only need two things, the Klei user id of the player you want to make an admin AND creating a .txt file called adminlist. For the first part you'll only need to look through the server_log.txt file and check for the Klei User ID that corresponds to the player, so once you have your server running make sure that the player you want as an admin is in the server too. Then once they're in, their KU id will reflect in the server_log. Simply search for "KU_" and look for something like this:

[00:00:17]: Client authenticated: (KU_XXXXXXXX) Zillvr

Now that you know their corresponding KU_ID, copy it and create a .txt file and name it "adminlist" in your server folder. This adminlist text file should be beside the Master and Caves folder and cluster_token and cluster.ini. Once you make the adminlist file, open it then paste the KU_ID's of the players you want to be admins on your server. Final result should look something like this:

KU_XXXXXXXX
KU_ID
KU_ID
KU_ID

There should be a line break between each KU_ID. After you've correctly saved the file, simply start up your dedicated server again and the players you added should be admins now. Also be sure that the server is closed before making/adding changes to your server files, just to be safe.

That should be it.

If run into any issues, don't hesitate to quote/mention me in your reply. I only get notified if you quote/mention me. Cheers.

• Thanks 1

I have seen several members reply with the issue that the cluster_token is invalid and I have yet to see an admin or moderator address the issue. I followed the instructions of the main post to the letter, tried requesting a new cluster_token again and again, and nothing worked. I also don't see how we implement mods we want to use.

Hi! I've got a very weird problem with the StartDSTServers.bat file. I get THIS every time...I've looked up the NO_NAME error and the only hint I found was to check if cluster name wasn't empty, but no, it is not and never was. I tried reseting my computer, but that wasn't the case. The second one says something about socket port, but I don't know where (and to what!) should I change it. I barely know anything about this sort of stuff, so, please, make it cl ear. Thanks..

Screenshot - 2018-03-29 , 20_29_07.png

Screenshot - 2018-03-29 , 20_29_18.png

Hi

I'm making a dedicated server so my friends can play while im away

I've followed all of these tips, but i can't find the server in the host server option

I also can't find the startDSTservers.bat file

Edited by blazeykat
because i forgot to include im,portjoant detail

Hi so i have made a dedicated server with my wife and we've been playing and are about 40 days in and everything is peachy, however i decided to go into the caves and lo and behold they aren't caves but are another topside world??? not sure where I erred in setting up my server but can this be fixed? and on the same world?

Also if I want to access previous saves how would I do that?

Edited by yoelle

On 3/27/2018 at 7:43 AM, StrangeDynasty said:

Update: I managed to get the cluster_token to work. I had something in the wrong folder from the start, so that was my bad. Now I'm just trying to figure out how to mod.

Were you able to get mods to work yet?

On 4/3/2018 at 3:56 PM, blazeykat said:

Hi

I'm making a dedicated server so my friends can play while im away

I've followed all of these tips, but i can't find the server in the host server option

I also can't find the startDSTservers.bat file

You'll have to manually create the startDSTservers.bat file. So open notepad, copy and paste the text required in step 11. Then click File > Save As > and type startDSTservers.bat for file name while Save as Type to "All Files (*.*)"  > Then Save. If you actually are using steamCMD to run your servers, make sure that the installation location is in the same place as specified by the startDSTservers.bat file. (which would be "c:\steamcmd\steamcmd.exe" and "c:\steamcmd\steamapps\common\Don't Starve Together Dedicated Server\bin") if you installed steamCMD in a different location, then find that new location and replace the default locations in your  startDSTservers.bat.

If the actual installation location is different from the default location specified by this guide, then you won't be able to start up the servers correctly.

On 4/4/2018 at 12:37 PM, yoelle said:

Hi so i have made a dedicated server with my wife and we've been playing and are about 40 days in and everything is peachy, however i decided to go into the caves and lo and behold they aren't caves but are another topside world??? not sure where I erred in setting up my server but can this be fixed? and on the same world?

If the caves/slave world has the same world settings (is also forest like the main server) then i think the issue is with the worldgenoverride.lua specified in this guide on Step 10. Make sure the actual .lua file is actually a .lua file and not ".lua.txt". The file name should be "worldgenoverride" but the file type should be ".lua". To make sure it is the correct file format, go to "\\Documents\Klei\DoNotStarveTogether\MyDediServer\Caves\" and in your windows folder explorer set View to Details, and your worldgenoverride.lua file should have TYPE as "lua file", if it says it's "text document" the the server wasn't able to find a worldgenoverride.lua file cause it doesn't exist.

To correct this, open the worldgenoverride.lua.txt file and click File > Save As > Then Set Save as type to "All Files (*.*)" while File name you write "worldgenoverride.lua". Then save. Now a worldgenoverride.lua file will exist in that folder.

Before you make changes, make sure the servers are closed.

But since the top/forest/master server AND under/caves/slave worlds were already generated, simply correcting the file type for the worldgenoverride.lua file will not affect the existing current caves world (cause the worldgenoveride.lua is ONLY used WHEN the world is being generated). Just to let you know. there was an issue with regenerating just the caves through console commands a handful of versions ago (not entirely sure if its fixed already) wherein attempting to regenerate just the caves through console commands would also regenerate the top world so I'd be mindful of that method, cause you want to keep your main world right?

Instead my best advice would be o manually force the game to generate a new caves world so firstly, before you close the servers make sure you and your players ARE NOT in the caves server. Make sure everyone is on the main/top/world server before you log off cause the next step requires to delete the caves saves (and if your players are in the caves, then they'll lose all their personal progress on the server inventory/map/etc.). So once you've made sure of that and now that the servers are closed, go to your dedicated server files and DELETE the Caves folder, and generate a new Caves folder with the correct worldgenoverride.lua file (basically repeat Step 10). Then once done, start up the server again and if you reenter the caves, it should be caves now and no longer a forest world also.

BE MINDFUL OF deleting files, make sure you're deleting the correct folder. Okay? 

The command to return to a previous autosave, would be entering "c_rollback()" on the server console to return to the last save. To return to a handful saves back would be "c_rollback(#)" replacing # with a number for the number of autosaves back you want to go back to. Warning: Rolling back CANNOT be undone. Once rolled back, the world will lose all progress made in the world after that specific autosave file you rolled back to was made. I hope that makes sense.

Good luck. Be careful

Edited by Zillvr

1 hour ago, luwenbin15 said:

where is the worldgenoverride.lua located?

It should be placed inside the Caves folder to make the caves server generate with Caves settings. It isn't automatically generated so you'll have to manually create the worldgenoverride.lua file.

• Open notepad
  • Copy the code inside the spoiler below and paste it into your notepad:
Spoiler

return {
    override_enabled = true,
    preset = "DST_CAVE",
}

• Click File
  • Click Save As
  • Browse to your caves folder (\\Documents\Klei\DoNotStarveTogether\MyDediServer\Caves\)
  • Type worldgenoverride.lua in File Name:
  • Set Save as Type to "All Files (*.*)"
  • Save
  • Done!

I remember an old youtube video I watched on making dedicated servers for don't starve

It's deleted now and my server used to work perfectly, now it's just not getting the token or whatever.

And plus I have school soon so I can't be bothered to follow this guide really quick

23 hours ago, SparkiStarves said:

I remember an old youtube video I watched on making dedicated servers for don't starve

It's deleted now and my server used to work perfectly, now it's just not getting the token or whatever.

And plus I have school soon so I can't be bothered to follow this guide really quick

I recommend this method to start up your server. Majority of the basic files (worldgen cluster token, etc) required to run a server would be automatically generated by the game so you'll only need to manually generate the a .bat "batch" file to startup the server. Hope you find it useful. Good luck.