Dedicated Server Quick Setup Guide - Windows

@Mdshadowman then that probably means you installed steamcmd in a different location. Based on this guide it should be under your drive c (c:\steamcmd). The dontstarve_dedicated_server_nullrenderer .exe file can't be found because steamcmd wasn't executed properly. So I'll ask, where did you place the steamcmd folder when you installed it?

2 minutes ago, Zillvr said:

@Mdshadowman then that probably means you installed steamcmd in a different location. Based on this guide it should be under your drive c (c:\steamcmd). The dontstarve_dedicated_server_nullrenderer .exe file can't be found because steamcmd wasn't executed properly. So I'll ask, where did you place the steamcmd folder when you installed it?

On my desktop...

@Zillvr, does it matter where I put it in my c drive?

@Mdshadowman if you look in the StartDSTServer.bat file you'll see the path location (c:\steamcmd\steamcmd .exe) so you'll have to replace that path location with your steamcmd's location OR just move the steamcmd folder into your drive C. If you're going to replace the path location, then go inside your steamcmd folder and right click the .exe file called steamcmd and click Properties. Then highlight the Location path, and copy paste it in place of the default one in your StartDSTServer.bat. After that you'll also have to replace the second path location path inside your StartDSTServer.bat:

cd /D "c:\steamcmd\steamapps\common\Don't Starve Together Dedicated Server\bin"

Into which ever you replace the c:\steamcmd\ path before. If that's too confusing, then just move the entire steamcmd folder to your drive c.

10 minutes ago, Mdshadowman said:

@Zillvr, does it matter where I put it in my c drive?

Yes, the exact path matters but it'll be easier if you place the steamcmd folder just in the drive c beside Windows, Program Files, Users, etc. Simply because that's the default installation location for steamcmd as instructed in their installation guide.

@Mdshadowman you'd have to generate the cluster_token yourself through the Acct Info button in the main menu.Which is Step 4-5-6 of this guide. Make sure you're placing the cluster_token.txt in the correct location (which would be  Documents\Klei\DoNotStarveTogether\MyDediServer\cluster_token.txt ). Be sure you've also got the correct file name and file type. It should be cluster_token.txt and not saved ad cluster_token.txt.txt. Make sure the filename is only cluster_token while the file type is Text Document.

EDIT: Used incorrect file name.

Edited by Zillvr

@Mdshadowman if you got two command prompts to open, then that means the server has started to run. To confirm if it's working, you should be able to see the lines:

[Shard] Slave Caves(##########) connected: [LAN] 127.0.0.1
[Shard] Slave Caves(##########) ready!
World ########## is now connected     

If not, go get the server_log.txt under the Master server. Which would be Documents\Klei\DoNotStarveTogether\MyDediServer\Master in your case. Then attach it to your next reply.

Hey, when I start up StartDSTServers it just says Windows could not find dontstarve_dedicated_server_nullrender make sure you typed the name correctly....... Could you tell me what I did wrong?

error.png

Edited by Payton
Adding photo

Hi guys! Is that actual? So, I have problem with run StartDSTServers. When I'm double-clicking this file statement pops up twice:

"System Windows cannot find file: "dontstarve_dedicated_server_nullrender" 

Anybody coud help?

<statement at printscreen in polish language>

nn.png

I guess I'll try to reformulate:

StartDSTServers.bat is trying to execute the file c:\steamcmd\steamcmd․exe, so you have to make sure such file is in there.

So create the folder c:\steamcmd, download the zip file from here as the guide says. Unpack the zip into c:\steamcmd, now there should be file steamcmd․exe that you wanted to have there.

Edited by Muche

I'm still waiting for someone to give clear directions on how to put mods on this type of server. I can already open it up and play the vanilla version. But I want mods on the server.

I have already tried putting the dedicated_server_mods_setup.lua and modoverrides.lua inside the steamcmd mods folder. The log would show that the mods have been downloaded but the server will still not show up as modded. Am I missing a step?

3 hours ago, dietrech said:

modoverrides.lua inside the steamcmd mods

It goes in

\\Documents\Klei\DoNotStarveTogether\MyDediServer\Master\

for your overworld, and

\\Documents\Klei\DoNotStarveTogether\MyDediServer\Caves\

for your caves.

Next to the server.ini files.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, DarkXero said:

It goes in

\\Documents\Klei\DoNotStarveTogether\MyDediServer\Master\

for your overworld, and

\\Documents\Klei\DoNotStarveTogether\MyDediServer\Caves\

for your caves.

Next to the server.ini files.

Thank you so much! You have made life easier for me haha.

On 2/12/2016 at 2:47 AM, V2C said:

Hey guys, I know this is not an easy process, but I'll try my best to work through it with you.

First of all, I'll try to explain the folder structure:

All save data goes inside \\Documents\Klei\DoNotStarveTogether now, whether it is your client save slots, or your dedicated server saves.. There is no need to use the -conf_dir command line argument anymore.

Inside, you may find folders for Cluster_1, Cluster_2, etc... These are save slots when hosting from the game client. I recommend you leave these folders alone.

The "MyDediServer" as mentioned in the guide is any custom folder name for your dedicated server save. It can be anything, and will be used in the command line argument "-cluster MyDediServer", for example.

Within your cluster folder (e.g. MyDediServer), there will be two more shard folders, one for the Master shard (aka Forest world), and one for the Caves shard. Again, the folder names can be anything ("Master" and "Caves" is recommended) and will be used in the command line arguments "-shard Master" or "-shard Caves" for example. 

Typical set of command line arguments would be:

"-console -cluster MyDediServer -shard Master" <- to start the master forest server

"-console -cluster MyDediServer -shard Caves" <- to start the slave caves server

NOTE: Remember to check the worldgenoverride.lua inside the Caves folder to make sure DST_CAVE preset is enabled.

ok so after the command line arguments, I receive an error telling me that it cannot find the dontstarve_dedicated_server_nullrenderer. What do I do?