Please choose a category

[Crash]

Platform

• Steam
Version Number

Issue title

Saves are disappearing and resetting data

Steps to reproduce

Open game, play game, saves, close, reopen saved game is gone, no characters unlocked and research points reset

Describe your issue

I have been on holiday the last week and I came across an issue, I loaded my game and the continue was gone, I keep saves of about 4 different worlds so that I can swap and play different maps that I have when I feel like a change of pace, 3 are past day 100. On the world I was playing I was at day 237 doing really well, because I was on holidays steam was in offline mode so that I could play without the internet.

I went in to Don't Starve and wasn't able to find my continue, so I tried to start a new game, same map that I had been on but everything reset, the works, I tried restoring from the most recent save file I had of that game and it now doesn't even have the old continue button and when I start a new game this time everything is reset.

So I decided to start a new game, since support was out of reach while I was at the beach. I get home and update the game, log in to find that the game I had been playing the last 7 days has been deleted,

Very unhappy as the saves represent over 50 hours of gameplay and the new world I had put in another 8 hours or so working from scratch with nothing researched.
?How can I fix this so that I can play all my worlds again and access my new world which I don't have a save for?

Wade    309

Wow, there is actually alot of different issues that could result in this...

1. Every save game uses three different files which need to sync up properly for the save game to work. If one of the files doesn't sync up, everything can be possibly reset.

2. Steam also saves a small cache file of the recent saves for games, and will access this cache before the actual save files. If this cache is different data than the save files, problems can occur.

3. With Steam Cloud, it may be downloading earlier save files from before you went to Offline mode, and overwriting your existing files.

We are planning to have a different system for save/load in the next update next week which will hopefully make the save file system more stable and less likely to reset.

JebusTheFrog    11

Ok, so what do you suggest? The Saves have been working for me up until I went away.

Do I go back into Offline mode and try swapping the saves around?

Will the new system allow me to load up my old saves into the system?

JebusTheFrog    11

I was able to recover my save by putting it into the userdata folder, opening steam, changing to offline mode and now my game has loaded without issues.

However, I lost the day 30 or so game and world I had which disappeared without me grabbing a save of it while I was on holiday.

Also yet again research points have reset to 0 with nothing researched :S (and characters which I had all unlocked so I can't change to Wolfgang which I was about to do since I had a few meat effigies and some beard hair to make more if I felt like it so I was going to swap to Wolfang, because comeon he has the best lines in the game so far!) Anyway I can get it to recognise I have the characters unlocked? Will dying then reputting the save in do it? or will that start this all over again?

Edited by JesusTheFrog

Wade    309

If you have backups of all 3 of the relevent files from Userdata folder, then you should be able to replace them in Offline mode and have them load up properly. It's if the files are out of sync that issues occur.

this seems to be about steam- but i have the same problem in retrieving a saved game from chrome on a different computer. how do i get that file if i'm not even offered a choice to continue a game? i hate having to restart the game every time i sign back in on chrome. meh. any solves for this?

JebusTheFrog    11

I don't know enough about the chrome version and how the saves work/where they are stored.

However, if I was to guess, on the computer you have your save on, find the save location and copy that onto a flashdrive (USB) then paste it into the same directory you found it in but on the different computer

Wade    309

For Chrome, the saved games are indeed stored on the computer on which it was played. If you log in on another machine, you won't be given the "Continue" option.

Sorry