Childhood Memories

greenglacier

It is obvious that most of us were brought up in the era of computers and technology. Not to mention kids born in the 21th century.
I remember clearly my very first moments with technology. A really old commodore 64 was the first computer I ever touched. It was my cousin's.
He was 18 and I was 8 or maybe 9 years old. It was such a silly thing that got me in it. A really old Star Wars game. I can't recall much but the whole game was bright orange and you could use either Han Solo's Millennium Falcon or a TIE Fighter. I loved that game! Since that day I always wanted to have my very own computer so I did write 'a little computer' on my wishlist every year before Xmas. Then I got my first PC. It wasn't that small, it was monstrous to be honest. It wasn't a commodore 64 either. It was a single-core, 1GHz, 256 Mb RAM Pc with Floppy and CD/DVD Rom. I couldn't ask for more. I spent days to do a throughout research on that very machine of mine. After 3 days, I decided to turn it on. (Yes, hilarious. I was just taking peeks into the stuff, looking through it's wires etc.) After another couple of days finally found out how to play games and use keyboard pretty well. My first game was SiN.

626859-39787_41380_front.jpg

A classic shooter, made in 1998. Until this day I don't enjoy games as much as I did enjoy SiN back then. When Sin Episodes: Emergence came out I was extremely hyped but that was just a letdown. The developer never continued the series so did my dreams fade away.

Anyways, that was my story, meeting the 'new(relatively) technology'.
Have you got a similar or a totally different story from your childhood?
Feel free to share with us.

7 minutes ago, Pyromailmann said:

I loved the Lego Star Wars Games.

So did I. Played a lot back in elementary with my sister in law.

7 minutes ago, Lord_Battal said:

My first real PC game was Diablo 2.  That was when I was 6 or so.  I was playing Chicken Little on my PS2 and my dad suggested I try it out.  So yeah, I brought up the violence level pretty fast. 

That explains a lot...

• Developer
Spoiler

I believe one of the first games I've ever played (or remember playing) was Pokémon Silver, for the Game Boy Color.

Mind you, I didn't know anything about English at the time, so I usually just walked around in the game, trying to talk with people and having no idea why they spoke in a weird way.

Then one day, my cousin taught me the basics of the game, how to start your adventure, battle and catch pokémon, and how to heal them. She explained to me what was the gym and how to heal and buy/sell stuff in the game. I used to watch the anime by the time, but to me, the game was just so much more different and complicated until my cousin helped out.

Anyways, I actually got the hang of it and after some days, beat the game. I was kind of addicted to it at the time, since it was like, the only thing I had to play aside from Wario Land (I believe it was the third one...), that I've already beaten. (Really fun game, btw).

After beating the game, instead of starting a new adventure, I didn't want to let go of that save because wow, I caught Lugia. The coolest legendary pokémon that ever was!! (That was my opinion as a kid. And still is, Lugia ftw)

Not wanting to erase it, but also having nothing to do, I just started repeatedly beating the Elite 4 to get money and catching the pokémons I could, to train them to high levels until I filled my PC up with them, then released almost all of them, except the ones of my old team, and started catching pokémon again.
One day, I found a shiny Aabra. As a kid, I had no idea what a shiny was, and was just weirded out by the fact he had used "Flash" before the battle even started. And also by the fact wild Aabras didn't know how to use that move.

Weirded out but also amazed by that fact, I wanted to catch it, and I somehow managed to. Trained him, evolved him, and I was still amazed by that flashy pokémon that used Flash always before the battle started.

As I grew older, I stopped playing the game and completely forgot about that save file and the cratridge. I think I even gave it away to my cousin, since it was technically hers. I don't remember if I erased it out of boredom and started a new one, or if I simply have it to her and she lost the cartridge somewhere.

Tl;Dr: I was a kid that played lots of Pokémon Silver. I once caught a shiny Aabra. I had no idea what a shiny pokémon was or how rare it could be. I forgot about the cartridge and might've deleted the save. I now know how rare a shiny Aabra from Pokémon Silver can be.

Ahh, the nostalgia... kinda makes me wanna play some Pokémon Silver again.

Let's see, I remember my grandparents having a SEGA Genesis and playing second player with my big brother in Sonic 2. I wasn't very helpful, of course, and it wasn't my favorite game but I still liked playing it until the port for the second controller broke. I don't even know if that SEGA still works, but I think it's still upstairs in that same room it was in those years ago with a box of different cartridges. 

My first boss fight was actually in my first Legend of Zelda game. One Christmas my big brother got a special LoZ themed DS bundled with The Legend of Zelda: The Phantom Hourglass. Being a nice big brother, he let me play it too, and I loved it, even though I never got past a certain part until I was older. Anyway, I made it all the way to the end of the first dungeon to Blaaz, Master of Fire, my first ever boss fight. (Unless you count Eggman, but I think I only ever played second player with that game, so I don't really count it.) I remember being so nervous that I shut the DS and paced around for a few minutes, trying to gather enough courage to go back in and fight him. Yes, I was a wimp. I did beat him though. I think I eventually got stuck on a level of the Temple, and then the DS somehow ended up in the compost heap and got ruined from baking in the sun and rotting vegetation. Some unspecified amount of time later I got my own DS and copy of the game, and actually finished it.

One of the games I credit for getting me into "real" gaming was an RPG called Dungeon Siege II. I never actually played it myself, as I was, like, 8 and the game was rated M, but I loved watching my older brother and dad play it. I would beg them to play so I could watch, day dream about being in the game all day, I could not wait until I was old enough to play it myself!

And then we threw it away ;n;

I don't even remember much about the game nowadays, but I know that I really really loved it back then.

The other game I credit for bringing me into "real" gaming is Diablo II. One day when I was about 10 or 11 my dad set some computers up on the dining room table and got me, my older bro, and one of his friends to all play Diablo II together. We all had a lot of fun, even though I was really inexperienced, and we bonded a lot. It gave me and my older bro something in common that we could talk about. Before that we were kind of in a rough relationship; he'd gotten to where he'd never really listen to me when I talked to him, which made me feel ignored and kind of unwanted. There was definitely still more to work on, but bonding over that game was a huge step forward. Now we're like besties :3

TL;DR: I played Tails in Sonic 2, was a big wimp when it came to my first boss fight in LoZ, really wanted to play Dungeon Siege II, and bonded with my family over Diablo II.

11 minutes ago, MenaAthena said:

The other game I credit for bringing me into "real" gaming is Diablo II. One day when I was about 10 or 11 my dad set some computers up on the dining room table and got me, my older bro, and one of his friends to all play Diablo II together. We all had a lot of fun, even though I was really inexperienced, and we bonded a lot. It gave me and my older bro something in common that we could talk about. Before that we were kind of in a rough relationship; he'd gotten to where he'd never really listen to me when I talked to him, which made me feel ignored and kind of unwanted. There was definitely still more to work on, but bonding over that game was a huge step forward. Now we're like besties :3

Dammit, between this and my nostalgia I want to play Diablo 2 now.

1 hour ago, MenaAthena said:

Let's see, I remember my grandparents having a SEGA Genesis and playing second player with my big brother in Sonic 2. I wasn't very helpful, of course, and it wasn't my favorite game but I still liked playing it until the port for the second controller broke. I don't even know if that SEGA still works, but I think it's still upstairs in that same room it was in those years ago with a box of different cartridges. 

My first boss fight was actually in my first Legend of Zelda game. One Christmas my big brother got a special LoZ themed DS bundled with The Legend of Zelda: The Phantom Hourglass. Being a nice big brother, he let me play it too, and I loved it, even though I never got past a certain part until I was older. Anyway, I made it all the way to the end of the first dungeon to Blaaz, Master of Fire, my first ever boss fight. (Unless you count Eggman, but I think I only ever played second player with that game, so I don't really count it.) I remember being so nervous that I shut the DS and paced around for a few minutes, trying to gather enough courage to go back in and fight him. Yes, I was a wimp. I did beat him though. I think I eventually got stuck on a level of the Temple, and then the DS somehow ended up in the compost heap and got ruined from baking in the sun and rotting vegetation. Some unspecified amount of time later I got my own DS and copy of the game, and actually finished it.

One of the games I credit for getting me into "real" gaming was an RPG called Dungeon Siege II. I never actually played it myself, as I was, like, 8 and the game was rated M, but I loved watching my older brother and dad play it. I would beg them to play so I could watch, day dream about being in the game all day, I could not wait until I was old enough to play it myself!

And then we threw it away ;n;

I don't even remember much about the game nowadays, but I know that I really really loved it back then.

TL;DR: I played Tails in Sonic 2, was a big wimp when it came to my first boss fight in LoZ, really wanted to play Dungeon Siege II, and bonded with my family over Diablo II.

That was worth reading.

Darn To Life

It's not exactly my first (nor my favourite) video game, but I like it. It's the possibly best NDS game I have ever played.

Don't Starve reminded me of the antagonist at some point and I wanted to make a really awesome Wilfre mod with shadow form and summonable minions and...

Of course a single person cared, who quickly ran out of free time to collaborate. That's the end of that story.

Hmmmm let me think.

If i remember right my first gaming System was a Sega Mastersystem

This thing

segamastersystem.png.5f66a94ddbd23141293

And i used to play a few games on it. The classics like Sonic the Hedgehog 1 and 2 as well as Sonic Chaos i think it's called and a couple of other games. We also had the Original Grey Brick Gameboy with stuff like Tetris, Super Mario Land and a couple of other games i can't remember (although i found a Mortal Kombat gameboy cartride recently).

However my first own Gameing System was a PC that i got from my dad when i was i think 7 and i used to play a lot of different games on it. Stuff like the Original Age of Empires (what i was terrible at), Age of Empires 2, Zoo Tycoon and a lot of other ones.

Also through the PC i got to experience one of my alltime favourite games that being TES 3 Morrowind. Can't remember where i got it maybe from a friend maybe i got it out of a bargain bin in a store but it doesn't matter because that game ignited my love for big Openworld RPGs like no other.

Another big factor for me to favour PC gaming was a Magazin over here in Germany that always had some disks with a selection of games on it. Sometimes there was a good game on it (i remember getting Shadow Man from one what was one of the first adult games i got to play) and sometimes there was pretty mediocore stuff on it but i never cared because it was pretty cheap (the magazin costed like 5€ and came once a month so easily afforable for little me who only got 5€ a week for stuff he wanted to spend).

Then a couple of years later i got a Gamecube i think because one of my friends had one and he had a lot of pretty cool games on it. The main reason i wanted it was i think Smash Bros Melee but i also got stuff like The Legend of Zelda Wind Waker, Luigis Mansion and SUper Mario Sunshine with it what are still some of my favourite Nintendogames.

Obviously Handhelds where also a big thing of my Childhood and i actually got a Gameboy Color when i was 6 for X-Mas alongside Pokemon Yellow and over the years i got quite a lot of different games on the Gameboy. A few years later i got the GBA and through that i was able to experience games the Yoshis Island and Super Mario Bros 3 and the awesomeness that are the Mario and Luigi RPGs. Then a few years later i got the GBA SP and a special one for that because there was a bundle for the SP and TLOZ Minish Cap what gave you a Golden SP with the Triforce on the lid (i still got that one).

A few years later i think in 2009 i finally discoverd Steam because i bought Warhammer 40K Dawn of War 2 (well here's a mouth full) because it needed Steam to work. Then another few years later i finally got into Indiegaming i think through Terraria and it only went downhill from there mostly because of Steamsales

MoneyMoneyMoney.gif.718112f9bdc8bf8132cb

And after that i discoverd a lot of Youtubers in the gaming scene stuff like Northerlion, Total Biscuit and the likes and through them i started to build up the impressive games collection i own nowadays. Actualy TB is the reason i'm even on the Klei Forums because he did a WTF is Don't Starve and i got really interested in the game but that was before it was avaiable on Steam so i was looking to get it earlier (although the Steamversion came out like 2 days after so instead i gifted my extra copy over the forums).

Well that's most of my gaminghistory i guess a lot of it can be described as TL:DR but hey once i start typing it's really hard for me to stop.

27 minutes ago, Mr.P said:

Zoo Tycoon

*DRAMATIC GASP* I remember Zoo Tycoon! That and Roller Coaster Tycoon were a couple of my favorite games when I was younger. I had to have been around seven. Oh, and I remember when I got my own PC for Christmas; I was so happy I kissed the monitor. And even farther back I remember spending hours on my big bro's computer drawing pixel by pixel in Paint and playing space pinball. *sigh* Such carefree days...

8 minutes ago, MenaAthena said:

*DRAMATIC GASP* I remember Zoo Tycoon! That and Roller Coaster Tycoon were a couple of my favorite games when I was younger. I had to have been around seven. Oh, and I remember when I got my own PC for Christmas; I was so happy I kissed the monitor. And even farther back I remember spending hours on my big bro's computer drawing pixel by pixel in Paint and playing space pinball. *sigh* Such carefree days...

Zoo Tycoon 1 was just awesome specialy if you got both the Marine Life and Dinosaur expansion. I remember feeding dissatisfied Parkvisitors to the T-Rex when i got bored or not hirering the staff that captures animals and let the T-Rex loose (aka i reinacted Jurassic Park from time to time).

Another game i remeber playing was Theme Park Manager what is pretty similar to Rollercoaster Tycoon although with Themaic Parks and rides.

And i think Space Cadet Pinball is something everyone knows that and this really wierd Windows Mario game i used to play a lot in school.

Archived