How Skins Could've Been "Innocent" and Trade Inn Discussion

20 minutes ago, TemporaryMan said:

that paying cash for useless in-game cosmetics is, well... horse armor.

Like I said, not really up for that idea and don't know how it would really play out... I'm really more for the first 2 options I stated. :)

Keep it the way it is and scrap the Trade Inn idea entirely or put every single item into the Trade Inn but evenly matched against the droprates... Otherwise the Trade Inn never gets used outside of burning commons out so they don't start to inflate...

And seriously never ever introduce the steam market! there have already been several people who've gotten several accounts specifically for idling so they could make money off of the game. People won't think twice about buying 20 copies of the game to make the money back within a week. and then just have a steady income for a few weeks as they inflate the crap out of the more common items so far to the point that it then becomes impossible to get the rare items. and ontop of that.... the rare items then begin to inflate and become cheaper and cheaper then they aren't special anymore, nobody can trade for them, you can only buy them... then the DST economy just sucks and nobody'll like it anymore.

3 hours ago, t0panka said:

If you think about this calmly you will see that what OP wants is ridiculous because everyone would have all elegant items and there will be no "rarity" and "excitement" to get/see some high tier items and this would destroy all purpose of skins. Also as you said "i will have just tons of useless spiffies" then after what OP wants you will have just "tons of useless elegants" and after that you will want only Timeless and Loyal items because they will be "rare" and not available in Trading Inn. It seems like you are not satisfied until you have best items in game and now. You wont be satisfied with Wigfrid GOH because everyone will have one and it wont be rare. I already offered you Wigi head and you didn't say anything so it seems you do care about your commons and other items anyway and it is not the only thing you want.

I am not making assumptions. I made on steam around 1000 trades in and out (around 1000 more with other games) and give away around 200 skins of every quality to friends, strangers, anyone. I also saw tons of inventories, how people trade, how people trade high tier items for, what are people doing with my gifts, etc. This is all based on my long experience with steam and trading.

As i said above items are already marketable. Changing DST items to be marketable on market will change the way people are trading now for $$. After that everyone will be properly informed about prices and have same chance to sell/buy items if they wish to. This will deal with people wanting too much or sell too little because lot of people are not aware of "value" of items.

Also if you add higher tier items to Trading Inn with no limitations everyone will have most of them on day 1 because they all have tons of other items. As you can see some of users here thinks that commons (and now spiffies) are "trash" just because there are higher tier items. Giving them easier way to get best items in game will change those items again to "trash" and they will stop caring about those since everyone will have them and they will want those higher items only - timeless and loyal (if they are still part of the plan) because they are not part of trading inn and are "rare" = thats why that desire. Also that excitement and joy of getting higher tier drop or seeing someone with cool skin will just disappear and will change to "meh everyone has wigi head anyway"

About people iddling or godmoding or how it is called because items are marketable. They are doing it now. Some of here posting are doing it. They will do it one way or another. But this means 2 things: More $ for Klei from selling DST (this means more content for us guys!) and more items in "market" so more people can get what they want or buy it for less and also few more $ for Klei (this means more content for us guys!)

Dude how about put your text in one post and stop spamming this thread? You posting thousand times wont change Kleis mind about this. You forcing you opinion to 500 people wont change Kleis mind about this. And you + few people here that doesn't like idea that items will be marketable (FYI they are already marketable) doesn't mean it is bad idea either.

You are right about that few people didn't get elegant drop yet. And yet lot of them have those elegant items either from friends or trading :) Also lot of you here posting have more elegants that dropped for you. I have lot more elegants that dropped for me. I gave lot of people elegants for free that didn't drop for them.

Some people are trading sharks, some people are good and can share free items. Some people care about only high tier items and $$ and some people care about friendship and fun.

I like that gambling idea too! That sounds fun and awesome. There should be limitations on how often you can gamble tho so people wont gamble all their stuff or get frustrated.

Again, I don't see what is not good about most of the players having access to the rarest skins through trading inn. As you might have said, the skins were intended to make players look different NOT make players who are willing to pay more dollars look superior. If you wanna argue that if most of the players have the rarest skins, then they will only use the rarest skins and therefore everyone will look the same. I am gonna say this point makes no sense. What you are saying is that players will only look different if some players get access to rarest skins, by dollars, while others can't. This will only make those minority with elegant skins feel different/superior, one of which is you, of course. I believe those who can't have elegant skins just because they can't pay dollars will not be happy about the fact that now they are different with / less cooler than those with elegant skins because they can't have elegant skins. For the majority of players who do not have elegant/rarest skins, they still look pretty much the same to other players who do not own elegant skins, according to your theory, which is the majority. So, your point is only to make those with elegant skins feel superior rather than considering for the majority of the players. Plus, given the current 9:1 ratio, even if Klei opens the access to rarest skins by trading inn, it still requires an unbelievable 6561 common skins to trade all the way up for an elegant. Make a simple assumption that a player gets all 4 skins each week and they are 3 common and 1 classy, it means 546.75 weeks, which is more than 10 years. Maybe my model is not accurate enough since a player also has chance of getting skins rarer than classy, but I don't really know the probability because their dropping rare is so rare. But still my point is that, even if there is an option to trade commons for the rarest skins, Klei can easily design the ratio to make sure that you can only get 1 rarest skin by trading an unbelievable amount of lower-tier skins. This could be the amount of half-year, a year, whatever. A player needs to consider seriously what he likes best. And with at least 1 rarest skin, e.g. an GOH, he/she can play it and do not feel inferior to those who pay dollars to have a dozen GOHs. I mean, you can have a dozen elegant to show-off in your inventory, but after all, you can only use 1 at a time in the game.

@TemporaryMan i was talking about Mikedatrix idea and that was 2 commons for classy, 2 classy for spiffy, etc. Also i never said you have to giveaway something. I was just explaining that i have lot of experience about what i was talking about.

BTW you did giveaway Smallbird backpack to Weirdobob right? It was the only one item he wanted right? He trade it away anyway. If it was different story then sorry i mentioned it but you know what i am saying right? People want best items in game because they dont have them and when they do it takes just little better offer and they will trade it away.

@Fidooop both of you guys don't need to sell/buy anything ever. There are people that are buying/selling GOHs for 10 and more keys (idk where you get those 2 Fidooop) and i saw more crazy trades = 30 keys for 1 head only because people don't know the value. Also noone will put Wigfrid head for 300$ idk why is that guy extreme again. We can still trade DST items for DST items nothing is changing. Trade inn can't replace trading and destroy rarity right?

Iddling accounts are here since first day of skins IMO and they are making money with selling DST items for keys or marketable items. Where is the difference? If you put some GOH right now for selling lets say 5 keys you will need just 1-2 minutes and it is gone. With marketable items Klei at least can get some money of those trades and in exchange give us more skins for game or features or whatever! If iddlers buy more accounts again Klei will get more money and that means more content for DST for us! Nobody cared about iddlers that much so why now? Klei is just getting more money for their hard work and it is not affecting you at all.

You don't need to sell, you don't need to buy anything. Noone is forcing us. I never put single cent to DST items and i wont do it ever. You don't need to either. If you don't like it ok don't but don't destroy it for those who are selling items or wanna buy them. Why are you even talking about what will cost what when you don't even care and you wont even buy anything.

Also nothing will destroy game at all. Iddlers are playing on their passworded or whatever servers and they are not bothering anyone. There is tons of them now and not a single one was bothering me. Not a single "keys trade" was bothering me. Why would market for DST items destroy anything? You can still play without clothes or with 1129038 GOHs the same game. You don't get better sanity bonus from GOHs. People with all items can't wear them at once. Etc. i can go on and on.

It is like i don't like those 2 new SW characters but some people like them so im ok, if those next two will be good i am ok, those 2 easy characters dont bother me at all. I wont play all characters anyway and at least beginners can play their easy games too. If both sides get what they want why not. I wont force Klei to delete those 2 characters because i dont like them. I said that i don't and its over. So if you wont use market then don't but those items are selling people, plz understand that, tons of people are selling skins for basically $$$.

Anyway my idea for Trading Inn was: You can trade 2-3 items of any quality per week for "new drop" so this way you get every week 6-7 drops (and chances to get high tier item). Thats all. I think its simple, helpful, wont destroy trading or rarity and you can all get rid of your doubles .)

25 minutes ago, t0panka said:

@TemporaryMan i was talking about Mikedatrix idea and that was 2 commons for classy, 2 classy for spiffy, etc. Also i never said you have to giveaway something. I was just explaining that i have lot of experience about what i was talking about.

BTW you did giveaway Smallbird backpack to Weirdobob right? It was the only one item he wanted right? He trade it away anyway. If it was different story then sorry i mentioned it but you know what i am saying right? People want best items in game because they dont have them and when they do it takes just little better offer and they will trade it away.

@Fidooop both of you guys don't need to sell/buy anything ever. There are people that are buying/selling GOHs for 10 and more keys (idk where you get those 2 Fidooop) and i saw more crazy trades = 30 keys for 1 head only because people don't know the value. Also noone will put Wigfrid head for 300$ idk why is that guy extreme again. We can still trade DST items for DST items nothing is changing. Trade inn can't replace trading and destroy rarity right?

Iddling accounts are here since first day of skins IMO and they are making money with selling DST items for keys or marketable items. Where is the difference? If you put some GOH right now for selling lets say 5 keys you will need just 1-2 minutes and it is gone. With marketable items Klei at least can get some money of those trades and in exchange give us more skins for game or features or whatever! If iddlers buy more accounts again Klei will get more money and that means more content for DST for us! Nobody cared about iddlers that much so why now? Klei is just getting more money for their hard work and it is not affecting you at all.

You don't need to sell, you don't need to buy anything. Noone is forcing us. I never put single cent to DST items and i wont do it ever. You don't need to either. If you don't like it ok don't but don't destroy it for those who are selling items or wanna buy them. Why are you even talking about what will cost what when you don't even care and you wont even buy anything.

Also nothing will destroy game at all. Iddlers are playing on their passworded or whatever servers and they are not bothering anyone. There is tons of them now and not a single one was bothering me. Not a single "keys trade" was bothering me. Why would market for DST items destroy anything? You can still play without clothes or with 1129038 GOHs the same game. You don't get better sanity bonus from GOHs. People with all items can't wear them at once. Etc. i can go on and on.

It is like i don't like those 2 new SW characters but some people like them so im ok, if those next two will be good i am ok, those 2 easy characters dont bother me at all. I wont play all characters anyway and at least beginners can play their easy games too. If both sides get what they want why not. I wont force Klei to delete those 2 characters because i dont like them. I said that i don't and its over. So if you wont use market then don't but those items are selling people, plz understand that, tons of people are selling skins for basically $$$.

Anyway my idea for Trading Inn was: You can trade 2-3 items of any quality per week for "new drop" so this way you get every week 6-7 drops (and chances to get high tier item). Thats all. I think its simple, helpful, wont destroy trading or rarity and you can all get rid of your doubles .)

Well a few things... Not many people want every single item but I do... And if trading is going to be made stupidly hard I won't get a single GOH let alone all of them! and I never EVER said that it'd break the game... The game is there to stay! I'm worried for the economy... That is breakable and once it's broken there's no fixing it!

ok, sure let's say Klei goes ahead with this idea and idlers show up and start making money just by doing nothing (yes, absolutely NOTHING for money) and Klei gets the wee little teeny tiny 5% bonus from each of their transactions... ($500 of transactions only gets them a measly $25... I don't see where this allows them to make us more content? They really aren't making much cash off of the market at all... and Steam is making just the same amount as them off of their own game!) What's going to happen is commons will become SO common that trading up doesn't even exist anymore! I want to trade and make a profit to get all the items! But I won't be able to if everything is inflated! and oh boy would I pay for the skins if I could... but I can't... it's not that I don't WANT to pay... it's that I CAN'T pay... See the difference? 

1 minute ago, Fidooop said:

Well a few things... Not many people want every single item but I do... And if trading is going to be made stupidly hard I won't get a single GOH let alone all of them! and I never EVER said that it'd break the game... The game is there to stay! I'm worried for the economy... That is breakable and once it's broken there's no fixing it!

ok, sure let's say Klei goes ahead with this idea and idlers show up and start making money just by doing nothing (yes, absolutely NOTHING for money) and Klei gets the wee little teeny tiny 5% bonus from each of their transactions... ($500 of transactions only gets them a measly $25... I don't see where this allows them to make us more content? They really aren't making much cash off of the market at all... and Steam is making just the same amount as them off of their own game!) What's going to happen is commons will become SO common that trading up doesn't even exist anymore! I want to trade and make a profit to get all the items! But I won't be able to if everything is inflated! and oh boy would I pay for the skins if I could... but I can't... it's not that I don't WANT to pay... it's that I CAN'T pay... See the difference? 

sooo you don't like this Trading Inn because it will be harder for you to get all elegants and make profit out of trades with people? :/ GG

Just now, t0panka said:

sooo you don't like this Trading Inn because it will be harder for you to get all elegants and make profit out of trades with people? :/ GG

Yeah! exactly what happened to Team Fortress 2... It used to take a week or so to get a key and now it takes MONTHS to get to a key from scratch... and it's even harder due to stupid online websites like the scrapbanking website.... that website ended all quick profiting and now it's physically impossible to go from nothing to a key in a short amount of time without using money... and well a single key isn't enough for almost anything... you said yourself! 10 keys for a GOH because people are abusing others' hopes and desires, right? Nobody knows the real price so they just skyrocket the price right up there so nobody can get it unless they have cash... and those who REALLY want it REALLY badly will throw the cash... It's not right... It's not fair...

That is what I hate about ALL trading economies... "Can't have that item unless you have cash! Why not trade up?" *tries to trade up... doesn't make anything... hollow promise was hollow...*

19 minutes ago, Fidooop said:

Yeah! exactly what happened to Team Fortress 2... It used to take a week or so to get a key and now it takes MONTHS to get to a key from scratch... and it's even harder due to stupid online websites like the scrapbanking website.... that website ended all quick profiting and now it's physically impossible to go from nothing to a key in a short amount of time without using money... and well a single key isn't enough for almost anything... you said yourself! 10 keys for a GOH because people are abusing others' hopes and desires, right? Nobody knows the real price so they just skyrocket the price right up there so nobody can get it unless they have cash... and those who REALLY want it REALLY badly will throw the cash... It's not right... It's not fair...

That is what I hate about ALL trading economies... "Can't have that item unless you have cash! Why not trade up?" *tries to trade up... doesn't make anything... hollow promise was hollow...*

TF2 doesn't just give you keys for playing the game; it's not really the same situation.  You don't have to do anything special to "get a skin from scratch" other than just play the game for a while.

What I've mostly read from you is that you don't have a lot of cash on hand, so wouldn't be able to pay for high ticket items through cash, whereas now you can trade your high-ticket items for other valuables.  You have leverage right now.

You don't want things to change at all, because the current system works for you.  You have things that are in demand and can make a profit.  That's understandable, and I am not at all faulting you for your desire to protect your interests.

However, there are many players who aren't in your shoes who are effected negatively by the current system; those who joined this trading frenzy later and don't have valuable items for trade.  Those who don't have and are unwilling to jump through hoops to obtain TF2 keys, which is a truly ludicrous currency to be using in DST in the first place.

They are currently locked out of the trading atmosphere, but might not be if things were placed in the Steam marketplace w/ a very clear indicator of the current value of items, so as not to be swindled.

What about those players?  You are telling them: "Tough, suck it up, buttercup" when you say that nothing should change and everything should stay exactly the way it is.  But isn't that what you are afraid of being told if things DO change?

That seems rather... hypocritical.

2 minutes ago, leonseye said:

But isn't that what you are afraid of being told if things DO change?

That seems rather... hypocritical.

I don't have anything higher than a spiffy tier right now. You're argument is invalid. I'm being tough and sucking it up! I'm a little buttercup. c:

It's not that I have leverage it's that it currently still is possible to make trades and get profit to get more items. I don't want to lose that...

3 minutes ago, Fidooop said:

I don't have anything higher than a spiffy tier right now. You're argument is invalid. I'm being tough and sucking it up! I'm a little buttercup. c:

It's not that I have leverage it's that it currently still is possible to make trades and get profit to get more items. I don't want to lose that...

You and some others seem to be speaking from an assumption that in the future it will NOT be possible to make trades and to make a profit to get more items, which isn't the case whatsoever.

Failing convincing others of this assumption, many have decided to cite the "impossibility" in the future of getting skins; but it isn't impossible.  It's not impossible right now and won't be in the future.  They are absolutely free, they come falling from the sky into players' hands for doing nothing but being logged in.

Clearly, people are already getting valuable drops and will continue to in the future, for FREE.  This doesn't change.

If anything, far more people will have access to the trading ecosystem than are able to participate currently, as there are simply far more people who have access to plain and simple cash than there are who deal in skins and TF2 keys.  That is really just a simple fact.

1 minute ago, leonseye said:

You and some others seem to be speaking from an assumption that in the future it will NOT be possible to make trades and to make a profit to get more items, which isn't the case whatsoever.

You seem to be missing the point... If inflation occurs then those common items that you get ALL THE TIME will be worthless! Extending the time it takes to get the better items...

5 minutes ago, Fidooop said:

You seem to be missing the point... If inflation occurs then those common items that you get ALL THE TIME will be worthless! Extending the time it takes to get the better items...

The better items come from the exact same place the common "worthless" items do, the magical gift fairy in the sky that gives you free drops after having played the game for a while.  You can still get them, and at the same rate that you can get them right now.

You act as though my wardrobe full of Lumberjack shirts is somehow not considered worthless already, but it is.  Steam marketplace doesn't change that somehow.

Trade Inn, however, might at least allow me to turn those shirts into something Spiffy or Classy, and that's definitely better than what we have currently.   But you don't want that.

PS) I love it when people see that you aren't going to agree w/ them and then resort to belittling your intelligence, lol.  "Missing the point", "ignorant", etc.  I'm none of these things.

We just don't agree.

3 minutes ago, leonseye said:

You can still get them, and at the same rate that you can get them right now.

Let me give you a basic example real fast.

Let's say there were 2 rarities 1 was a 99% chance to get and 1 was a 1% chance to get.
Due to the fact that it's random you'll be getting way more of the 99% then the 1% the 99% WILL INFLATE no matter what you do! overtime even with the current system commons are going to continue to inflate because of how rare all the rare items are! I'm beginning to think that even Classies are below 20% chance... and that's just no good for the commons because they'll just become more and more common overtime! currently the ratio between commons and GOHs are ok but in a years time the ratio will more than likely be multiplied by 10! and it'd be 20 times worse if idlers come around... :L

No, not at the same rate you can get them right now.  I've only had one spiffy backpack fall from the sky from the gift fairy.  I traded for the other three, and traded three for an elegant backpack.  If spiffies are devalued then that won't hold true anymore.  Of course, that ultimately depends on the exchange rate at the Inn, the % of lesser items that are converted to spiffy, and how much variety of spiffies there is to keep buyers interested in them.  We're going to need a lot more than the current 12...

20 minutes ago, Fidooop said:

Let me give you a basic example real fast.

Let's say there were 2 rarities 1 was a 99% chance to get and 1 was a 1% chance to get.
Due to the fact that it's random you'll be getting way more of the 99% then the 1% the 99% WILL INFLATE no matter what you do! overtime even with the current system commons are going to continue to inflate because of how rare all the rare items are! I'm beginning to think that even Classies are below 20% chance... and that's just no good for the commons because they'll just become more and more common overtime! currently the ratio between commons and GOHs are ok but in a years time the ratio will more than likely be multiplied by 10! and it'd be 20 times worse if idlers come around... :L

And yet, you oppose a system designed primarily as a sink to remove the lower tier items from the ecosystem.

That doesn't really make a lot of sense to me.  The Trade Inn and marketplace seem to be designed to complement one another by helping to remove the lower tiers while keeping the higher tiers valuable and somewhat rare.

17 minutes ago, TemporaryMan said:

No, not at the same rate you can get them right now.  I've only had one spiffy backpack fall from the sky from the gift fairy.  I traded for the other three, and traded three for an elegant backpack.  If spiffies are devalued then that won't hold true anymore.  Of course, that ultimately depends on the exchange rate at the Inn, the % of lesser items that are converted to spiffy, and how much variety of spiffies there is to keep buyers interested in them.  We're going to need a lot more than the current 12...

I do agree that we are most definitely going to need more than the current number of skins, but I'm fairly certain that will be the case in the future (though nobody knows how far in the future, lol).

Let me clarify that I was speaking specifically about the natural drop rate in the post you're referring to, however, which would not change.  The rate at which people are trading for items would most likely change, though it's really impossible to predict exactly how that will behave w/ the few details and uncertainties that we have now.

I would imagine (and this is all complete guesswork) that tiers above the Trade Inn would become more valuable, so you would likely not be able to trade at a 3:1 ratio for Elegant items, but you may still be able to trade at a 9:1 ratio which would make sense, as it matches the Trade Inn's exchange rates.  This will fluctuate, of course, and some will trade for less and others for more.

In addition to that fluctuation, some will be able to outright purchase the items for cash, so those who don't HAVE 9 Spiffies might still be able to participate in the trading economy.  Or YOU might get an Elegant that you don't want / need and sell that for the cash to purchase other items that you do want.

At least, that is how I see it working.

Also, there are a number of people who are not greedy, and of course friends.  Not everyone will be charging you cold, hard cash for items, just as there are people who give things away for free currently.  Moving to the marketplace won't suddenly turn all of these people into green-eyed money-grubbers.

16 minutes ago, TemporaryMan said:

There will be lot of new items don't worry. Also "prices" are changing all the time. Now it is impossible to trade 3 spiffies for 1 elegant anyway so those "prices" are gone one way or another and will change again when new items come around .)

6 hours ago, t0panka said:

If you think about this calmly you will see that what OP wants is ridiculous because everyone would have all elegant items and there will be no "rarity" and "excitement" to get/see some high tier items and this would destroy all purpose of skins.

To be honest I think this is all I've really seen in your posts: you want people who get "rarer" skins to be special and for everyone else to have such a tiny chance at getting them without having to spend real life money.

3 minutes ago, Exhu said:

To be honest I think this is all I've really seen in your posts: you want people who get "rarer" skins to be special and for everyone else to have such a tiny chance at getting them without having to spend real life money.

I think he wants the rich to stay rich and the poor to stay poor...

3 minutes ago, Fidooop said:

I think he wants the rich to stay rich and the poor to stay poor...

It's very strange to read this coming from someone who wants the system to stay exactly the way that it is.

That is the true epitome of the rich staying rich and the poor staying poor.  <.<

Still, are we having a meaningful discussion here or just flinging random insults at each other now?  If it's the latter, I don't have time for this.

1 hour ago, t0panka said:

I'm sorry, we don't seem to have an :eyeroll: emoticon to place after where I asked "Who would do that?" Will this do?  6_6 9_9 6_6

But you're right, this is a shocking turn of events!  In all the time I spent reading through the examples of Faustian bargains on TVTropes while drafting the contract for WeirdoBob, not once did I come across an example where the Faust-analogue succumbed to sin (say, Pride or maybe Greed) and betrayed the very thing he had sold his soul to obtain, losing his reward and damning his soul -- which the mere act of selling it to the Mephisto-analogue could not do!

6_6 9_9 6_6

*shrug* I still have his soul and my brother still has the beefalo bag.  Nothing more, nothing less, right?

@Fidooop I don't think he wants that, I just think he's assuming everyone only wants the rarest items and view the rest as "common trash."  He could well be right about the majority, or at least the majority of traders; he is going by his impression from conducting a lot of trades with people.  I just know I'd rather have Canadian boots to finish my Luigi Willow outfit.  I could be an exception.

6 hours ago, t0panka said:

If you think about this calmly you will see that what OP wants is ridiculous because everyone would have all elegant items and there will be no "rarity" and "excitement" to get/see some high tier items and this would destroy all purpose of skins.

Okay woah woah woah... skins are not meant for making you feel excited about "rarity" or how expensive or "worth" your items are... they're meant to compliment the style and characters with which you play the game. Even if everyone had elegant items (which is still highly unlikely; the idea he proposed would still have a distribution inequality, just a moderate and fairer one) that doesn't mean that elegant items wouldn't be nice anymore. That's like saying money isn't worth anything because everyone has money. Or are you saying that people don't deserve to have a fair amount of that either? 

Archived