How Skins Could've Been "Innocent" and Trade Inn Discussion

Just now, Mikeadatrix said:

Wow 400 dollar Willow. 26 dollar Wigfrid. YAY CAPITILISM.

You could list brown pants for $400, doesn't mean somebody is going to buy it. 

I appreciate that you are concerned about the system, but this is less than constructive. 

On 2/2/2016 at 4:22 PM, JoeW said:
27 minutes ago, Asparagus said:
Just now, Mikeadatrix said:

Wow 400 dollar Willow. 26 dollar Wigfrid. YAY CAPITILISM.

XD

Yeah, We have many of these same thoughts. When the Trade Inn is added, you will be able to trade 9 of an item for an item the next tier above it, up to Spiffy -- You will not be able to trade for distinguished or elegant items. Elegant and Distinguished items are meant to be rare and special and we aim to keep it that way. 

In addition to that, we will be turning on marketability for items so that you can choose to sell them on the steam market rather than use them to trade up through the Trade Inn. At first, some people are going to sell too high, and some people are going to sell too low, but then things will even out as the community decides what the items are worth to them. This will allow people to better understand the value of the items that they have and let's players have more choices for how they can get different items. 

wigfridism in action

for real though itll sort itself out

Just now, JoeW said:

You could list brown pants for $400, doesn't mean somebody is going to buy it. 

I appreciate that you are concerned about the system, but this is less than constructive. 

Hey Joe... Just making a joke... I might actually buy the Wig.... Just joking.... Funny right?

Just now, Flare2V said:

wigfridism in action

for real though itll sort itself out

Yeah. It's looking pretty good. Feels like the stock market.

Gonna be a while before some of these rarer skins sort themselves out, but some (ie: MOST) of the more plentiful items are already way cheaper than if you had tried to trade for them or buy them w/ keys a couple days ago.

Looks promising.  Will keep an eye on this, as I'm sure Klei is as well.

1 hour ago, leonseye said:

Gonna be a while before some of these rarer skins sort themselves out, but some (ie: MOST) of the more plentiful items are already way cheaper than if you had tried to trade for them or buy them w/ keys a couple days ago.

Looks promising.  Will keep an eye on this, as I'm sure Klei is as well.

Agreed. As expected, the prices were a bit crazy right at the beginning, but they've mostly become fairly reasonable in a short amount of time. The ultra rare items are even cheaper than they were when we had the key system. 

6 minutes ago, Mikeadatrix said:

Shhh. Were ignoring the 100 dollar Silk Robes...... If we just ignore the scary Troll Scalpers they'll go away right?...........

right?

You'll notice nobody actually bought any of those 100 dollar silk robes, so....

23 minutes ago, The Letter W said:

Remind me what the fuss was about?

It already looks better than the TF2 market. :p

The sky's always falling somewhere, right?

You know what another problem of the market is now? If anyone's paid attention to how the market has been so far, you might have noticed a few things: we're having a massive inflation. 

The prices of some of the common items is starting to fail (it's starting to approach the price floor which someone can charge - 0.03 USD) 

Classy items aren't far behind either - I've seen some of them go to 0.05 and 0.04 USD while the mean is 0.07 USD - at this rate they're going to crash as well. 

Spiffy items are also very very far down, much farther than the tier up (Distinguished items) so what this tells me is that a lot of people were in fact wrong: the lower items, like me and Mike realized, are becoming almost worthless. There's a ruthless inflation going about, also quite contrary to what many of you believed, the prices for many of the upper items are starting to go down very very much too. Not worthless, but very low (less than a dollar for a distinguished? oh my god) If the future of this market is that commons and classies are going to be worth the same, the ability to sell those isn't going to exist anymore - that's going to force trading up to occur (the only other option would be 1:1 trades with other people) 

That trading up will only lead to further price drops, which the distinguished and spiffies are already strongly showing. 

Pretty soon, we're going to have old item disparages every time a new update comes out - the older items are going to be worth so little compared to the newer item's prices that the market is going to become hype based. The only items to be worth a decent amount look to be only new/elegant items at this point. If you thought you could sell your items and buy the more expensive items, that might change very very soon. Everyone who wanted to buy the skins they've always wanted though, congratulations to you.

The word you're looking for is actually "deflation".  ; )

And I assume, and mentioned earlier in this long thread, that this is exactly why it was important to release the Trade Inn and marketability at the same time, so that those lower tier items can simply be traded upward w/ the chance of getting better skins.

Is the complaint now that these items aren't worth $50-60?

I see that as a good thing.  I thought the point was to play the game and not obsess over exorbitantly priced skins that only the wealthy could afford.

Also, the market's also being flooded right now by people who have literally HUNDREDS of skins as well as those who find the marketplace much easier to deal w/ than trying to hock their wares through an obtuse trading forum and deal w/ scams and scammers.

Still, what is the problem w/ people actually being able to afford the skins they've always wanted?

Just now, leonseye said:

The word you're looking for is actually "deflation".  ; )

And I assume, and mentioned earlier in this long thread, that this is exactly why it was important to release the Trade Inn and marketability at the same time, so that those lower tier items can simply be traded upward w/ the chance of getting better skins.

Is the complaint now that these items aren't worth $50-60?

I see that as a good thing.  I thought the point was the play the game and not obsess over exorbitantly priced skins that only the wealthy could afford.

Also, the market's also being flooded right now by people who have literally HUNDREDS of skins as well as those who find the marketplace much easier to deal w/ than trying to hock their wares through an obtuse trading forum and deal w/ scams and scammers.

Still, what is the problem w/ people actually being able to afford the skins they've always wanted?

That's true actually lol my bad "deflation" 

It's not a bad thing really that the items are being worth less though - in my opinion the problem is that common items are approaching the same price as classy items. The items are being worth less than what we can even pay for them. Pretty much commons  are going to be unmarketable because the minimum price you could charge for them is higher than the equilibrium price - they're not allowed to meet. People are just going to end up competing massively to sell them, and the only people who would buy them are collectors. The rest of the people selling are pretty much out of luck - their only option is to trade them up or hope by luck their bidding (which will end up being the same floor price as everyone else) gets bought. 

I have noticed that there are a lot of people buying up the lower tier items at cheap cheap prices and then trading them up at the Trade Inn, which also serves to remove these lower tier items from the economy.

That is precisely the function that the Trade Inn is supposed to serve.

I honestly don't believe that Klei had ever WANTED for these items to be sold for more than their game even costs, but I may be wrong about that.  It's not really my place to speak for them, of course.  But they ARE the ones that give us these items for absolutely free.  : )

I can see the concern that most of the items of different tiers may end up falling to around the same prices, but I kinda feel that for the community as a whole, that becomes a win in the long run.

The pseudo-cult of skin traders are probably going to be upset that the marketplace is putting them entirely out of business if their aim was to make huge profits selling free items to other players, though.

...but I also view that as a win.

That's a true point to make though -the point is to get more skins to more people. But what about when new items come out though? I feel like this is going to end up with people using the market to sell the new skins while they can to make a profit while they can. The marketability for things will end up majorly serving the purpose of buying items to trade up for more sought after items after some time if the prices drop so low like they seem to be now. And then that's where the new profit will be while it lasts - getting a new item and selling it.  

Im not saying that the market was bad overall, I just wanted to discuss a new problem that is seeming to appear :o 

1 hour ago, thegreatmanagement said:

Pretty soon, we're going to have old item disparages every time a new update comes out - the older items are going to be worth so little compared to the newer item's prices that the market is going to become hype based. The only items to be worth a decent amount look to be only new/elegant items at this point. If you thought you could sell your items and buy the more expensive items, that might change very very soon. Everyone who wanted to buy the skins they've always wanted though, congratulations to you.

Of course the market's going to be hype based: there's high initial demand and low supply.  It was hype-based when buckled gloves were introduced, it was hype-based when GoH were introduced, and it's hype-based now.  This isn't new.

Archived