How Skins Could've Been "Innocent" and Trade Inn Discussion

So true i skipped over that bit somehow, that is indeed a frequent scam method more commonly used for non marketable items, and also for marketable items in some cases where the person wants to "quick sell", but you can also place buy orders now to curb that kind of undercutting.

@JoeW may i possibly suggest considering some of the long term, truely dedicated users here to be "middle men" of the trading forum?
Personal recognized users that have been upvoted by community could offer to mediate any trades that arent considered "regular"

It allows Klei to watch over any odd transactions, and still maintaining its non-particpation in the items and its trading community.
letting the masses elect a few people who are offering to give their time free to help keep a community safe, i am sure there would be several people up for it (not me i have enough on my plate!)

As much as it would be nice to have all trades done purely within a trade window, a massive portion of trades are done with gift only items, paypal, bitcoin, steam wallet transfer, and so on. I thought it was worth mentioning anyway

6 hours ago, WriteOff said:

Personal recognized users that have been upvoted by community could offer to mediate any trades that arent considered "regular"

Basically, a "Trade Moderator" right? Please tell me more :) (got intrigued after what you said here:)

I am currently not at normal mental functioning analytically speaking as I have been sleeping all day in angry bursts and it's hot and I'm cranky...

I think that's a pretty sound idea... though the execution may be a bit... elusive... to say the least... and how then would they be able to stop it? (Just asking, not being antagonistic... can't think of another way to phrase it and I apologize)

sleepy%20child.jpg.560x0_q80_crop-smart.

(I am a cranky Goose, hear my sleep-deprived yawn)

I suggest people actually take the time to read past comments before they "weigh in" after saying "tl;dr" because I keep seeing the same points being made again and again and it just goes in a circle with little progress... I don't blame you though... I yawned just writing this...

Also, flat-out complaining about something while not even trying to add a suggestion as to why and how it could be resolved doesn't really make the conversation progress in a meaningful way... at least be witty and/or funny about it otherwise it just ends up in a mildly entertaining tirade... like... what I'm doing now...

*gasp*

I should get off my high horse and put it to bed...

here's a tl;dr anyway:

Spoiler

1. Skins drops for free... a proposal is being made so that they can be marketable.
  2. They will still be tradable but you can have the option of selling them off
  3. YOU DO NOT HAVE TO BUY THEM UNLESS YOU WANT TO AND IF YOU'RE SAYING YOU DON'T WANT TO SPEND REAL MONEY FOR SKINS THEN DON'T (see point #1), YOU CAN TRADE WITH PEOPLE YOU KNOW! (see #4 and 5)
  4. If you absolutely must have a certain skin, hey, you get the option to wait for it like normal (like everyone else can do)... or, listen to this, they are giving you the option of acquiring it in exchange of monetary compensation or an equivalent through a "market" that states a certain price and, and, and listen to this, you can actually SEE what it would cost and you don't have to go around wondering what it could be worth and end up selling your house for it! Isn't that neat?
  5. You always have the option of just trading them away with like, friends or people you know... you know... for free!! Or rather people who can trade items that both parties can find acceptable... hey, they're your friends, what could possibly go wrong... also don't force the other party to trade if they don't want to...
  6. Words and phrases come up all throughout like (paraphrase):
    • "They're just cosmetic"
    • "Skins will not help you survive"
    • "This will make some people abuse the system"
    • "People's nature being unpredictable"
    • "People are inherently mean"
    • "Klei gets a small portion of each trades"
    • "Support Devs and Artists"
    • "Being fair and unfair in trades"
    • "TF2 comparisons"
    • "Free"
    • "Old system and new way"
    • "Threatening to leave"
    • "Selling absurdly high and encouraging/discouraging it" (see point #4 and 5)
    • "Influx of scammers" (see point #4 and 5)

Please tell me if I said something wrong and I apologize in advance.

(clicks post and makes some food but post didn't get posted and had just come back 1 hr later to find this)

2 hours ago, Asparagus said:

Basically, a "Trade Moderator" right? Please tell me more :) (got intrigued after what you said here:)

I think that's a pretty sound idea... though the execution may be a bit... elusive... to say the least... and how then would they be able to stop it?

Generally speaking, 1 party will have a skin, and a skin can be sent to trade moderator to hold, once moderator has confirmed skin in held in inventory, 2nd party can make payment to 1st party, first party confirms payment and  moderator sends the skin onto 2nd party.

We (Our group) never arrange how payments should be made, we simply find out the exact terms of the deal in a steam multi chat with both parties, and progress as above, its not fool proof by any means, especially when people want to send serial codes for new games as payment.
There has been times where code has been duped and both parties genuinely think other guy is trying to screw them over, with that in mind a trade moderator needs to make a decision whether he is comfortable to assist in the trade, if the trade moderator is -not- comfortable then advise both parties that you do not think its a good idea and may be required to seek out another middleman or other forms of payment.

nothing is fool proof when you trade outside of a steam trade window and when possible it should be advised against, but i think everyone can agree, its not a perfect world, and a little help can be the greatest step up if your not familiar with it all.

For those reading this dont just trust anyone, wait for a service to evolve or just stick to trade windows, stay safe!

12 hours ago, Asparagus said:

I suggest people actually take the time to read past comments

why bother? 15 pages, mate. I've got stuff to do. I'd much rather just skim some posts and make a random joke or comment on non-specific matters that don't benefit to the thread at all. Like this one.

17 hours ago, Mikeadatrix said:

Also call me Mikey.

oh, I remember the last guy here with attitude problems and hated when somebody forgot one letter of his name. It's always sad to see them go...

38 minutes ago, RalphKastro said:

why bother? 15 pages, mate. I've got stuff to do. I'd much rather just skim some posts and make a random joke or comment on non-specific matters that don't benefit to the thread at all. Like this one.

oh, I remember the last guy here with attitude problems and hated when somebody forgot one letter of his name. It's always sad to see them go...

It was a joke. See the meme? No? Well then it failed. (also not leaving)

5 hours ago, RalphKastro said:

Put a TL;DR in the first post since that's what people usually only read anyway. 

19 hours ago, Asparagus said:
  • Skins drops for free... a proposal is being made so that they can be marketable.
  • They will still be tradable but you can have the option of selling them off
  • YOU DO NOT HAVE TO BUY THEM UNLESS YOU WANT TO AND IF YOU'RE SAYING YOU DON'T WANT TO SPEND REAL MONEY FOR SKINS THEN DON'T (see point #1), YOU CAN TRADE WITH PEOPLE YOU KNOW! (see #4 and 5)
  • If you absolutely must have a certain skin, hey, you get the option to wait for it like normal (like everyone else can do)... or, listen to this, they are giving you the option of acquiring it in exchange of monetary compensation or an equivalent through a "market" that states a certain price and, and, and listen to this, you can actually SEE what it would cost and you don't have to go around wondering what it could be worth and end up selling your house for it! Isn't that neat?
  • You always have the option of just trading them away with like, friends or people you know... you know... for free!! Or rather people who can trade items that both parties can find acceptable... hey, they're your friends, what could possibly go wrong... also don't force the other party to trade if they don't want to...

7 minutes ago, ImDaMisterL said:

Do you guys have any idea how much that costs in my currency? I could buy a new computer with that money. A. Brand. New. Computer.

Let me tell sing sell you the song of my people~

56bd5ce410ce5_Store-DST-SilkLoungewear-1

P4753.44 for me~ I love my lucky drops XD

Archived