How Skins Could've Been "Innocent" and Trade Inn Discussion

Hello Hello!

As the Trade Inn is coming soon (probably) I wanted to tell you a story about how skins could've been just fun silly little cosmetics with ZERO market value and just an innocent way to look unique. Nope. As my great comrade TheGreatManagement and I discussed, Skins are gonna have a HUGE crash in value and distribution soon. Obsessing over a dumb Wigfrid hairdo, willing to throw away tons of keys? DON'T. I say this with utter respect and mean no anger but if you wasted 10 keys or whatever on a DST item, you're a moron. The way Great put it is that with the implementation of new skins it'll crash the community value. As much as I love my Wilson GoH, less people will want it when there's "Mad Scientist Wilson", "W1L20N" and "Young Wilson". There will be so MANY skins that the value will decrease. Now here's Klei's screw up (Sorry Guys you really did goof on this one). Skins were meant to be a filler content "So there isn't 5 base Wilson's". It worked fine for a week or so, but when Elegant and Distinguished items were introduced, with no way to earn them (Trade Inn) and all based on luck, a crash happened. At first a Blue T-Shirt was equal (metaphorically) to a Sweater Vest. But now EVERYONE wants a GoH skin, a distinguished shirt, a backpack shaped like feces... Yeah.... Anyway the point where Skins could've worked is if they had Trade Inn from day 1 and NO TRADING. Because guess what? Get a common? Who cares? Trade 2 in for a Classy, 2 Classy items? Spiffy. 2 Spiffies? Distinguished. 2 Dist? ELEGANT. EASY PEASY RIGHT?!?!? No... Wrong... No Trade Inn from Day 1 means that a fake value is assigned to items. I remember seeing a few people that had 1 scrap for a common and so on. No one will buy it due to the fact that no one really WANTS a "Higgsbury Red T-Shirt". I'm rambling a little now but the point remains: The fact that the Trade Inn wasn't available from Day 1 and that Skins are Tradeable really make Skins a pain the arse.

(psst.. Trade Partners also assigned values to items such as someone I don't wish to name, however he tried to sell me on the idea that a Woodie GoH is worth as much as a Wigfrid.... Yeah..... Go Capitalism! Yay........)

Now I need to go find some Tylenol, think I exploded some brain cells...

-Michael

21 minutes ago, Mikeadatrix said:

Hello Hello!

As the Trade Inn is coming soon (probably) I wanted to tell you a story about how skins could've been just fun silly little cosmetics with ZERO market value and just an innocent way to look unique. Nope. As my great comrade TheGreatManagement and I discussed, Skins are gonna have a HUGE crash in value and distribution soon. Obsessing over a dumb Wigfrid hairdo, willing to throw away tons of keys? DON'T. I say this with utter respect and mean no anger but if you wasted 10 keys or whatever on a DST item, you're a moron. The way Great put it is that with the implementation of new skins it'll crash the community value. As much as I love my Wilson GoH, less people will want it when there's "Mad Scientist Wilson", "W1L20N" and "Young Wilson". There will be so MANY skins that the value will decrease. Now here's Klei's screw up (Sorry Guys you really did goof on this one). Skins were meant to be a filler content "So there isn't 5 base Wilson's". It worked fine for a week or so, but when Elegant and Distinguished items were introduced, with no way to earn them (Trade Inn) and all based on luck, a crash happened. At first a Blue T-Shirt was equal (metaphorically) to a Sweater Vest. But now EVERYONE wants a GoH skin, a distinguished shirt, a backpack shaped like feces... Yeah.... Anyway the point where Skins could've worked is if they had Trade Inn from day 1 and NO TRADING. Because guess what? Get a common? Who cares? Trade 2 in for a Classy, 2 Classy items? Spiffy. 2 Spiffies? Distinguished. 2 Dist? ELEGANT. EASY PEASY RIGHT?!?!? No... Wrong... No Trade Inn from Day 1 means that a fake value is assigned to items. I remember seeing a few people that had 1 scrap for a common and so on. No one will buy it due to the fact that no one really WANTS a "Higgsbury Red T-Shirt". I'm rambling a little now but the point remains: The fact that the Trade Inn wasn't available from Day 1 and that Skins are Tradeable really make Skins a pain the arse.

(psst.. Trade Partners also assigned values to items such as someone I don't wish to name, however he tried to sell me on the idea that a Woodie GoH is worth as much as a Wigfrid.... Yeah..... Go Capitalism! Yay........)

Now I need to go find some Tylenol, think I exploded some brain cells...

-Michael

Haha, YES! YES! YES! Somebody GETS IT! These people are running around deeming items as worth something around "2 billion and six commons for this spiffy" or something similar, but personally I reaaallly hope for the Trade Inn to solve this problem by doing the 2 = 1 exchange. I desperately plead for it to not be Trade Up style, because then there'd be people asking 10 distinguished items for 1 elegant, and that's just insane...

8 minutes ago, leonseye said:

/shrug

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I play tf2 a lot, but I don't really care about trading or cosmetics all that much, I'm more interested in playing the game instead of spending hours upon hours trading for stuff that makes no difference to the game (more or less). I have pretty much the same tendency here in DST.

The problem with online item-trading systems, like tf2, cs:go, DST, etc etc is that they all try to make an economy, but there is one problem. The irl economy is based off of actually producing things, like mining silver, carving furniture, building cars, etc, but online economies are entirely barter economies, since everyone gets the same income of items/week. Thus, if you do manage to get some way of producing things, either by using real money, or providing services to people (I have a friend who draws profile pictures for tf2 items), then you basically break the economy in your favor. I don't really know where I was going with this, but whatever. Play the game to have fun, not for virtual clothes.

You seem to be glossing over the fact that nobody ever need take part in this makeshift "economy" if they don't want to.

You get the exact same items just for playing the game.

So if someone wishes to offer things just for an easier time at getting an item (and they very well may get the exact item that they just paid for an hour later in-game through sheer RNG anyways), then who really cares?

Personally, I haven't traded or felt the need to, but if somebody really wants something and wants to offer TF2 keys or other skins or heck, a newborn baby antelope, I say go right ahead.

Things are worth exactly what somebody is willing to offer for them.

Ohohohoho this thread hit the nail on the head! 

I just hope that the Trade Inn is exactly what everyone else is hoping for: you can just swap a common for a common, elegant for elegant, however you see it fit...

But who knows. I just hope we can bring the 1:1 value back soon so everyone has a chance at getting a GOH skin. I don't mind the whole trading skins for keys thing (I mean I do it too), but a GOH skin shouldn't be worth more than 4, 5 at the most keys. :\

2 hours ago, Weirdobob said:

Haha, YES! YES! YES! Somebody GETS IT! These people are running around deeming items as worth something around "2 billion and six commons for this spiffy" or something similar, but personally I reaaallly hope for the Trade Inn to solve this problem by doing the 2 = 1 exchange. I desperately plead for it to not be Trade Up style, because then there'd be people asking 10 distinguished items for 1 elegant, and that's just insane...

EXACTLY!!!!!! This man understands! 

1 hour ago, Snowhusky5 said:

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I play tf2 a lot, but I don't really care about trading or cosmetics all that much, I'm more interested in playing the game instead of spending hours upon hours trading for stuff that makes no difference to the game (more or less). I have pretty much the same tendency here in DST.

The problem with online item-trading systems, like tf2, cs:go, DST, etc etc is that they all try to make an economy, but there is one problem. The irl economy is based off of actually producing things, like mining silver, carving furniture, building cars, etc, but online economies are entirely barter economies, since everyone gets the same income of items/week. Thus, if you do manage to get some way of producing things, either by using real money, or providing services to people (I have a friend who draws profile pictures for tf2 items), then you basically break the economy in your favor. I don't really know where I was going with this, but whatever. Play the game to have fun, not for virtual clothes.

True. But this thread IS for skins discussion. Don't like it, leave. It's your opinion but this IS a skin thread again.

1 hour ago, leonseye said:

You seem to be glossing over the fact that nobody ever need take part in this makeshift "economy" if they don't want to.

So if someone wishes to offer things just for an easier time at getting an item (and they very well may get the exact item that they just paid for an hour later in-game through sheer RNG anyways), then who really cares?

Personally, I haven't traded or felt the need to, but if somebody really wants something and wants to offer TF2 keys or other skins or heck, a newborn baby antelope, I say go right ahead.

True. It's all choice. This thread is for those who DO care about Skins.

56 minutes ago, WillowCrocker said:

Ohohohoho this thread hit the nail on the head! 

I just hope that the Trade Inn is exactly what everyone else is hoping for: you can just swap a common for a common, elegant for elegant, however you see it fit...

But who knows. I just hope we can bring the 1:1 value back soon so everyone has a chance at getting a GOH skin. I don't mind the whole trading skins for keys thing (I mean I do it too), but a GOH skin shouldn't be worth more than 4, 5 at the most keys. :\

1:1 sounds awesome as well! There should be 2 types of Trade Inn. The 2 of a class for 1 higher. Then 1:1. It'd fix everything.

1 hour ago, leonseye said:

The thing is though, we actually all don't get all same skins though. There is an intrinsic difference between a skin that's more commonly given than with a skin that is given at a very low drop rate. Based on probability, that's what's giving them their jacked up  value. (that and honestly us traders and buyers purport this trend too - there are multiple parties and factors involved here) It's just a designed implementation that they also are given a higher name value and special artwork in addition to its assigned probability.

I personaly think that trade inn will work just like in csgo or tf2 trade-up contracts. 10 weapons lower for 1 item higher quality.

So, 10 commons = 1 classy

10 classy = 1 spiffy

10 spiffy = 1 distinguished

10 distinguished = 1 GoH

And if it happend - all distinguished and gohs and spiffys will be worth so much, nearly as much as knife in csgo or unusual in tf2. 

Thats ONLY my opinion. :)

14 minutes ago, RealWarrior said:

10 distinguished = 1 GoH

...You're kidding right?...Like if you can get this from a random drop then I might as well save up my distinguished items so at least I can look elegant and fancy.

Edit: If you could pick what item you get I could see this being worth it but you get 4 drops a week and most of them are gonna be common so really this is kind of unfair, two for one makes more sense in my opinion cause one week you get one distinguished item and the next week you get another distinguished item and thus well time well spent.

5 minutes ago, GiddyGuy said:

...You're kidding right?...Like if you can get this from a random drop then I might as well save up my distinguished items so at least I can look elegant and fancy.

Edit: If you could pick what item you get I could see this being worth it but you get 4 drops a week and most of them are gonna be common so really this is kind of unfair, two for one makes more sense in my opinion cause one week you get one distinguished item and the next week you get another distinguished item and thus well time well spent.

I agree. A TF2 style trade up with be mortifying. The point of the post is a "fair" Trade Inn.

- seems like you care too much about only elegant items ... there are lot of people that like "common" and other items and i like them too. BTW you still need some of those to "finish" GOH outfit anyway

- most of people playing DST never played other games that have drops ... first welcome to drops rates and rarity this is how it works and it works good for many many games - not everyone can have best items in game just like that lol ... second i remember not so long ago people were angry about few people selling keys for items from other games and now....

- half of you sold/are selling items for keys

- so lets get everyone elegant items so everyone looks the same again? WUT? Actually it works really well now. Go to server with 10-15 people and there will be some with commons, some with GOH, some default, some ...

- we need more "head" skins, "body parts", "item skins" and NOT easier way to give it to everyone right? Also lets make "walking cane skin" a reality! .)

- Klei guys knows how trading and "rarity" works and steam and in many many games and that tons of people like both of them and they dont want to destroy it so don't expect 2 commons for 1 classy, ..., .... that is ridiculous and everyone will have all elegants on day 1 of trading inn

- IMO it will be something like: you can change 2 any items TOPS every week for "NEW DROP" which has same chance of getting rare item as that one in game - this way they will boost it to 6 drops per week! You can get rid of dupes (you all don't have them that much anyway) and have more chance to get good item = WIN-WIN. Klei don't want to get rid of all commons just because some of you like only elegants .)

3 hours ago, Mikeadatrix said:

This is you looking at it from "making profit out trades" point of view. Some people like Wes and some Wigfrid. She is just more popular because she is immortal and easy mode. I made trades with my Wes:Woodie 1:1 or my Wigfrid:Wolfgang 1:1. Not everyone wants "profit" from trading .)

45 minutes ago, RealWarrior said:

And if it happend - all distinguished and gohs and spiffys will be worth so much, nearly as much as knife in csgo or unusual in tf2. 

No, because then some people would still just get them for totally free at random...

6 minutes ago, t0panka said:

- seems like you care too much about only elegant items ... there are lot of people that like "common" and other items and i like them too. BTW you still need some of those to "finish" GOH outfit anyway

- most of people playing DST never played other games that have drops ... first welcome to drops rates and rarity this is how it works and it works good for many many games - not everyone can have best items in game just like that lol ... second i remember not so long ago people were angry about few people selling keys for items from other games and now....

- half of you sold/are selling items for keys

- so lets get everyone elegant items so everyone looks the same again? WUT? Actually it works really well now. Go to server with 10-15 people and there will be some with commons, some with GOH, some default, some ...

- we need more "head" skins, "body parts", "item skins" and NOT easier way to give it to everyone right? Also lets make "walking cane skin" a reality! .)

- Klei guys knows how trading and "rarity" works and steam and in many many games and that tons of people like both of them and they dont want to destroy it so don't expect 2 commons for 1 classy, ..., .... that is ridiculous and everyone will have all elegants on day 1 of trading inn

- IMO it will be something like: you can change 2 any items TOPS every week for "NEW DROP" which has same chance of getting rare item as that one in game - this way they will boost it to 6 drops per week! You can get rid of dupes (you all don't have them that much anyway) and have more chance to get good item = WIN-WIN. Klei don't want to get rid of all commons just because some of you like only elegants .)

This is you looking at it from "making profit out trades" point of view. Some people like Wes and some Wigfrid. She is just more popular because she is immortal and easy mode. I made trades with my Wes:Woodie 1:1 or my Wigfrid:Wolfgang 1:1. Not everyone wants "profit" from trading .)

Seems you want struggle and rarity issues. I respect your opinion but I kindly disagree. Also. I believe everyone here realizes no one would 1:1 trade Wigfrid. I also say this, more commons would be cool. But Dis and Elegant items should be like top tier, so if you trade your stuff in you will get something that is "worth" a lot. Also I believe items shouldn't be able to trade. It would cause utter chaos as it has been doing before. Earn your skins or don't bother at all. I agree however more skins would be amazing. I would die for a shadow walking cane skin. *-*

8 minutes ago, thegreatmanagement said:

Demand is high, supply is the same as every other goh. Therefore equilibrium price increases: it's economics at work.

3 minutes ago, Mikeadatrix said:

Damn Right. 

Again ... not everyone cares about "price" or TF2/CSGO keys or Steam funds .)

2 minutes ago, t0panka said:

Again ... not everyone cares about "price" or TF2/CSGO keys or Steam funds .)

The thing about it is also even if you don't believe in a price, someone else will. Price isn't a real concept even; price is basically what someone else is willing to pay for it. They can arise whether or not you intend it to. 

2 minutes ago, Mikeadatrix said:

Please show me the trade log for a Wigfrid for a Common T-Shirt. Fun Fact: There's None. 

Why are you so extreme? I was talking about elegant items (1:1)

Just now, thegreatmanagement said:

The thing about it is also even if you don't believe in a price, someone else will. Price isn't a real concept even; price is basically what someone else is willing to pay for it. They can arise whether or not you intend it to. 

If you want to make profit then go ahead auction Wigi for more items ... some people wanna pay a lot so good for you BUT there are people which cares about getting favourite GOH for game they like and not to make "profit"

Archived