Moon64

Stop Kiting Deerclops

Moon64    212

Hi all,

I made a video about fighting/kiting Deerclops I'm under the impression that you should not kite Deerclops but tank him instead.

1. He's very easily tankable with early game items. i.e. hambat/tent spike, football helmet, and log armor.

2. You'll lose more sanity running back and forth. Kiting tends to lead to insane fights and nightmare creatures.

3. Standing next to a camp fire prevents you from getting frozen. It's also indestructible (Not in DST). I made the mistake of not standing close enough and was frozen once.

4. You're more likely to freeze kiting. Since it's a good idea to wear armor while fighting Deerclops, kiting him back and forth instead of tanking next to a file might end up taking freezing damage.

5. The fight is over in roughly 15 seconds. This just as easily doable even with Wes and Wendy's 75% damage. 

Sorry for that terrible quality~ Uploaded this from Twitch:

Late game, I usually tank with nightmare armor equipped second and thulekite crown equipped first. The nightmare armor takes the bulk of damage and my crown ends up taking 1% damage. Even with Deerclops sanity aura, nightmare armor equipped, and swinging a dark sword, I end up with more than half sanity still full with Wicker.

As it stands, this is the only mob or giant that I think should be tanked instead of kited.

Enjoy.

Edited by Moon64
  • Like 4

MigiTheApex    3

This should honestly be taught to newer players nore often, and your use of early game items to do it only solidifies the validity of your strategy. You didnt even have any armor break. Thanks for posting, I will be teaching this to my newbie friends from now on. Up to this point my early game strat had always just been tooth traps and kiting if they didn't finish the job.

Edited by MigiTheApex

Elif    1

My friends and I have always tried kiting it and it cost us so much... This is really helpful, I will consider doing this from now on. Thanks for sharing!

Mobbstar    13,952

Ham is OP, pls nerf

Just kidding! This goes to show that there's more than one approach to the issue. But is there any approach to the dragonfly, other than feeding it ashes or bombarding it with old bells? Find out in the next- what do you mean I'm not allowed to announce this?

• Like 1

Moon64    212
31 minutes ago, Mobbstar said:

Ham is OP, pls nerf

Just kidding! This goes to show that there's more than one approach to the issue. But is there any approach to the dragonfly, other than feeding it ashes or bombarding it with old bells? Find out in the next- what do you mean I'm not allowed to announce this?

Here you go:

• Like 2