Wave after Wave

GuyNamedChris

"Yeah, let's do this!" Trevor answered, having regained some of his cheeriness. He cast out his line into the open sea and took a deep breath of fresh sea air, instantly feeling a lot better about the situation. "So, Famen. We haven't talked much during these days.  Do you happen to remember what you did before we got to these waters?"

"Nothing out of the ordinary really. School, home, dog, pass by some crazy scientist's abandoned house every day for 15 years. I lived at my house with my mother and dog. My father secluded himself in some shack in the woods to run his experiments. If I were to see him, I probably wouldn't even recognize him." Famen rambled, staring at Trevor's line.

• Like 1

Wiffleball tilted his head and looked at Kade quizzically. How could he have gotten there so fast? Well, he'd seen that other boy - Wallan, was his name? - teleporting around. So maybe that was something Kade did, too. But...then again...Wiffleball stopped. This wasn't the first time he'd seen Kade acting odd, was it? The night they spent in that mansion...as soon as Kate had fallen asleep, Kade had melted into a black, lifeless parody of a person, and had stayed that way until morning. Even farther back, there was that time when a ring of shadows had tried to hurt Kate, and instead of trying to help, he'd just stood there...laughing.

Something about Kade just wasn't adding up, and the more Wiffleball thought about it, the worse it seemed to get.

But, to be honest, he didn't exactly want to call him out now. Weird as he was, Kade (if he even was Kade) hadn't really posed a direct threat to anyone - and Kate, well, she looked like she was having so much fun on their adventure...Wiffleball couldn't possibly ruin that for her. Not here. Shaking the feeling off, he started down the fork, motioning for Kate to follow after him.

They could talk later.

• Like 2

The group of young adventures come across a more grassier clearing than the rest of the swampy muck they've been trenching in for the most part with a plant growing in the middle of it all, a small shrub with wet and shiny violet leaves glistening in the sun with fat juicy berries hanging off of leafy branches. The berries share the leaf's color, a bit more darker, but similar enough. Noctimus hops off of Wiffleball and steadily approaches the mysterious plant, sniffing around curiously, before finally reaching the strange shrub. After a quick smell of one of the mysterious berries the plant has grown, and without any knowledge of wither the berries are poisonous or not, he takes a bite. 

The berry isn't actually very juicy, as the inside of the berry is filled with a rich honey like substance with a single crunchy seed in the middle. Most of the sugars in the berry have gathered in the middle around the seed, giving it the looks and tastes of a mini praline pecan. Other than the sugary center, the honey like substance and the outside of the berry have a taste reminiscent of pineapple, mango, avocado, unseasoned cooked chicken, and a slight hint of spiciness, creating a flavorful, strangely not so unpleasant combo of...flavors. The side effects of the berry are unknown. Mostly because only Noctimus has tried one, and he doesn't really know how that stuff works. Guess we'll have to wait.

Unfortunately for Noctimus, this was his first head to head battle with the tiniest bit of spice. He began running around weeping with his little shadow tongue hanging out of his mouth.

Edited by Youknowwho
  • Like 2

Kate had been playing in a mud puddle, and hadn't even noticed the other path until Wiffleball got her attention and motioned from her to follow. "Oh! Come on Kade! Hurry up!" She looked over her shoulder at her brother, who grunted and attempted to wade through the muck faster. 

Once they caught up, her eyes widened at the purple bush and the big, tasty looking purple berries. She also saw Noctimus running around with his widdle tongue sticking out, and wondered if it had something to do with the berries. She picked one and, after looking it over curiously for a second, popped it in her mouth. 

Well that was... uh... she didn't know how to feel about these berries. I mean, it didn't taste bad she guessed, it was just so... weird. She couldn't decide if she liked it or not.

Kate's brain tingles for a moment. Like a much more pleasant version of a headache.

Didn't seem to have any other effects other than that yet.  Guess she better wait to find out. 

[its not drugs] 

---

Noctimus whimpered and cried while pawing Kate's foot. He wanted to be lifted up really bad. His tongue was still hanging out the side of his mouth.

---

"Well, surely there has to be more than that. You wanna go back right? How was your relationship with your mom, huh? Did she bake you cookies like she herself use to make?"

Trevor's stomach rumbled. He'd smelled these decilous chocolate chip cookies at the bakery next door. Memories of the rich smell of chocolate, sugar, flour, eggs, water, salt, baked at 325 degrees for twelve minutes, and set to cool for nine.

Well, that probably wasn't the right recipe, he only smelled it after all. But that was what he always thought the recipe for the cookies were.

Niella sets them down in the water next to her, a safe distance away so they don't get sucked down with her when she dives.  "You might want to hold on."  She says, before slithering back down her throat and shutting her primary jaws.  She starts to sink under...

Even stranger than the taste and texture of the berry was the strange and strangely pleasant tingling in her head. Was it the berry that did that? Was she poisoned now?

Then she noticed the poor lil pupper pawing at her foot. "Aww, what's the matter?" She cooed as she picked him up.

Edited by MenaAthena

Noctimus licked Kate's hands rapidly, trying to get the spiciness out of his widdle tongue.

It eventually worked! Noctimus squeaked in deli-

*hic*

Wh-Wha? What was that? Some sort of hiccu-

*hic*

Whatever this was, it was ann-

*hic*

Noctimus looked really confused. What was happening? Had the burning on his tongue poiso-

*hic*

He whined in confusion and fear. How? What? 

*hic*

Everytime Noctimus hiccuped, his shadow flames  grew a lot larger for as long as the hiccup was, not very long. Like a second.

Edited by Youknowwho

Kate started giggling when Noctimus licked her hands, and then giggled even more when he started making little squeaky hiccups. "Yeah, hiccups are annoying, aren't they?" She pet his little head. "They're a good sign though, because that means you're having a growth spurt! Or at least, that's what my mom used to say."

• Like 2

21 hours ago, Youknowwho said:

"Well, surely there has to be more than that. You wanna go back right? How was your relationship with your mom, huh? Did she bake you cookies like she herself use to make?"

"I'd like to go back, yeah... My mom's probably worried sick. Go out and walk the dog and suddenly disappear... She was a great cook. Pumpkin cookies, mushroom stew, even fish tacos from time to time. She was the sweetest woman you'd ever meet...*sigh* I miss her..."